USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 33,000 units

Posted By: Nardulus

USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 33,000 units - 11/27/03 07:04

http://www.valusoft.com/products/usabass.html

To view screenies and the descriptions.

I just got my royalty report from THQ and USA Bass has sold a total of 33,575 units with returns of 289 so a total of 32,286 units have been sold quarter ending 9-30-03.

I really want to thank JCL, Marco, Doug, and Luke for their great work and dedication. I produced USA Bass in less than 90 days with help from Joe Hocking and Florian Jungwirth.

If anyone still questions wether 3DGS can be used for commerical games I hope my results will show them that it can.

It would be something if the game hit 50,000 units in sales after XMAS that would make it a bona fide hit.

Thanks,

Ken

Posted By: bupaje

Re: USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 33,000 units - 11/27/03 07:28

Congratulations! I played a bass fishing game some years back -not sure if it was yours - and liked it. I did a lot of freshwater fishing in years past and that added to the enjoyment. Hope it is a hit though in my book it already sounds like a success.
Posted By: Marco_Grubert

Re: USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 33,000 units - 11/27/03 10:35

Congratulations!
I hope your publisher doesn't keep it all for themselves and that you get an extra large turkey for Thanksgiving!
Posted By: MaxF

Re: USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 33,000 units - 11/27/03 13:05

Congratulations!
That is so kool.. Keep up the great work..

Posted By: Blattsalat

Re: USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 33,000 units - 11/27/03 13:54

Great to hear that a gs game sells.
Definitely a great motivation!!

keep up the great work...
....and i am gonna visit the shop now. Maybe your game might be something for me too.

Just saw that online shoping is for us costumers only .
Posted By: AIS_Rich

Re: USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 33,000 units - 11/27/03 14:47

Very cool, congratulations! And with the holiday season here, you must really be smiling from the upcoming sales.
Posted By: Firestorm

Re: USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 33,000 units - 11/27/03 15:51

Congratulations!! It's always very inspiring to see a GS game do so well It makes me want to put that much more effort into my own project
Posted By: Don Pedro

Re: USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 33,000 units - 11/27/03 17:07

Excellent! I'm very happy for you guys!
Posted By: Realspawn

Re: USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 33,000 units - 11/27/03 17:36

Congrats pal hope to see a lot of your stuff gets published
good work
Posted By: Orange Brat

Re: USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 33,000 units - 11/27/03 20:56

Congrats and nice to hear.
Posted By: Red Ocktober

Re: USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 33,000 units - 11/28/03 00:25

Yep... it's always good to hear an INDIE success story... congratulations !!!

If you would, could you give a lil insight into your relations with your publisher, the frequency of sales/royalty reports, and the average royalty percentage paid by this publisher.

Also... feel free to add nything else that you feel would help a game developer looking to get a finished game published.

Thanks

--Mike
Posted By: Nadester

Re: USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 33,000 units - 11/28/03 02:18

That is really awesome, and really motivating. Really great work. Congrats! Btw, is there a demo available?
Posted By: fastlane69

Re: USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 33,000 units - 11/28/03 04:20

There's hope for us yet!!!!

Congrats and keep us posted !!!!

Posted By: Ayrus

Re: USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 33,000 units - 11/28/03 06:11

That is great!! Keep up the great work, and this was already mentioned, but is there a demo of it available??

Regards,
Ayrus
Posted By: pocorev

Re: USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 33,000 units - 11/28/03 08:50

great news!!! congrats.
Posted By: poke_smot

Re: USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 33,000 units - 11/28/03 12:08

Quote:

I produced USA Bass in less than 90 days

How many working hours would you estimate you've got in it?

Congrats on making a successfull game.
So when are you buying the Porsche?
Posted By: Nems

Re: USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 33,000 units - 11/28/03 16:17

Good on ya mate and merry Xmass.
Great to see an actual succes story.
Cheers.
Posted By: Wolfbyte

Re: USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 33,000 units - 11/28/03 17:48

Thats Awsome Mate,

It gives motivation to all of the 3DGS community.
Any tips you can give us, would be welcomed.
Posted By: ShadowFire

Re: USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 33,000 units - 11/29/03 08:18

Well now. This is great!:
Look at the system requirements:
Quote:

• Windows® 98/Me/XP
• Pentium® II 450 MHz or higher
• 128 MB RAM
• 100 MB hard drive space
• 16 MB 3D accelerator
• 16-bit sound card
• DirectX® 8.1 or higher
• 8x CD-ROM drive

And check the sales. Just shows what 3DGS can do. If anyone asks the question again about 3DGS being able to actually create a game that can sell, show them this and let them weep. Good work and congratulations!.
Regards
Shad

Re: USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 33,000 units - 11/30/03 02:29

Thanks for the nice words.

I had started a Journal thread here in March while I was working on the game. I lost track of it because my father had a serious heart attack and I lost a month of work time. When I went back to work on the game I was behind in my delivery and I did not have time to update the journal.

I will try and get a demo out early next year. I will be out of town most of Decemember so the demo will have to wait, till I get back.

I am really glad to see people are inspired to keep working on their projects. You need to find a good niche, produce a fun game, try not to bite off more than you can accomplish, and get it exposed, this very forum is great for that.

I am working on a mini game using Marco's Physic's that will be shown to a new group of publishers very soon.

Ken
Posted By: Stansmedia

Re: USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 33,000 units - 11/30/03 05:45

A 3 month project, and youve sold that many copies! Wow, you must have alot talent for game design! Congradulations!
Btw, do you got a demo?
-kris
Posted By: BlueFireV2

Re: USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 33,000 units - 12/02/03 07:30

Hey, not making this about money, but if your publisher only took 1/3 of the sales, wouldn't that set what you made at around $210,000.
Posted By: ROMAC

Re: USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 33,000 units - 12/03/03 01:20

WOW! That must be a great publishing company if so many copies have been sold...
Posted By: ello

Re: USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 33,000 units - 12/03/03 16:58

congratulations.
In Antwort auf:

If anyone still questions wether 3DGS can be used for commerical games I hope my results will show them that it can.

it should at least
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 33,000 units - 12/13/03 00:14

Wow wow wow !! And congratulations !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But how much did you made with it??
Posted By: prophet

Re: USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 33,000 units - 12/14/03 01:06

They sell the prgram at wal-mart for 10 bucks. Good distribution place.
Posted By: Tseggena

Re: USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 33,000 units - 12/19/03 12:20

While I'm not sure on any actual numbers here, I'd have to say that odds are he'd be getting anywhere $0.75 to $1 a unit.

At a retail price of 10 dollars, you need to factor in the retailers buy it at wholesale to make their profit. So they are buying it at $5-$7. Now the materials and such to produce the actual physical product; box, art, disc, etc, I could see easily being $1-$2.

We'll take the lower profit number (I always under-estimate when it comes to profits) soooo.... :

$10 Retail Price
$5 Wholesale Price
$3 Profits after Manufacturing costs.

We'll subtract around 75% (guess-timated) for publisher's percentage.

$0.75 per unit profit for Author.

33,000 units at 75 cents a unit is 24,750 in pay.

I could be wrong, but it would seem likely to be something close to this. I'd love to be proven wrong and hear he made more...

It'd be interesting to hear what kind of deal he got, just to have something to compare to.
Posted By: CGF

Re: USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 33,000 units - 12/19/03 19:54

Well if he paid 900$$$ for the engine he still earn a lot + his reputation is a lot higher then it was

Great job, congratulation
Posted By: myrlyn68

Re: USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 33,000 units - 12/19/03 23:17

Quote:

While I'm not sure on any actual numbers here, I'd have to say that odds are he'd be getting anywhere $0.75 to $1 a unit.

[bunch of stuff]

...I could be wrong, but it would seem likely to be something close to this. I'd love to be proven wrong and hear he made more...

Just from inquiries I have made to various publishers regarding this type of sale, he will end up with a bit more per sale.

On large title the percentage that you used is correct. That is between 5 and 10%. However the value lines of software offer higher returns to the development house for a number of reasons.

First, the manufacturing cost is lower. This game comes in a jewel case with a cover and a printed CD. Compare that to a AAA game which comes in a jewel case with a cover and a printed CD in a box with a manual and a few other things. Total cost per unit for USA BASS is probably closer to 75 cents or a lot less even (I know I can get 500 CDs pressed and stuck in Jewel cases for about a dollar a piece - and 33,000+ is a lot more than 500...).

Next, a good chunk of the money which the publisher takes off the top goes to pay advertising costs. AAA titles spend a lot of money (almost as much as the development costs) on advertising. It also goes to pay for shelf space and other marketing related expenses. In this case you will not see that happening. Granted the publisher still gets the biggest piece of the pie - but the developer gets a bigger piece in proportion to say a AAA developer.

In the end he will probably be getting about $2 per unit (unless of course he is getting a flat rate).

One of the best ways to get info on this type of stuff is to go to Wal Mart (or you favorite store), grab a few different CDs from the value software section, and call up the publishers. While they are usually quite busy, you can get a good ammount of info from them.

Re: USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 33,000 units - 12/20/03 01:46

Hi Guys,

I took a sizeable amount of money up front. I need to pay bills while I make the game. By doing this you lower what you get on the back end (royalty).

I can say that I am expecting a royalty check in Feb. The development adavce has been recouped and I am in the Black on royalties.

The software will hit 50,000 units by XMAS. It continues to sell very well.

Deals are between the publisher and developer and they differ greatly so there really is not a rule to this. Just haggle the best deal you can get.

Ken
Posted By: zeusmister

Re: USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 33,000 units - 12/20/03 01:56

There is a royalty calculator here

http://www.makegames.com/royaltycalc.html

MakeGames.com is a great site Diana Gruber has written many really good books on video games creation and her husband is the creator of FastGraph (fastgraph.com) They have many published video games and offer alot of insight into the industry. The reason for the calculator is to show that the designers do not get rich from a published game. Here is a qoute from a developer posted on her site, note the company names he wrote games for!

Commentary From A Game Developer
I gotta tell any kid thinking of getting rich some brutal facts from my own experience in writing PC games as a sole author/programmer/designer several years ago for major publishers (I did 9 games under pen names for Sierra On-Line, Adventure International, Electronic Arts, Konami and Broderbund). At least 2 of these sold in excess of 100,000 copies. All (but one) were done on royalty agreements ranging from 5-15% of net.

But in every case I had a hell of a time getting an *honest* or *any* accounting of my earned royalties from the key accounts payable person(s) at these companies. Let alone getting my royalty checks from *its in the mail* to physically in my mail box. Beware. If you're contracting as an individual with these business machines, you will get *f---*! The most common form is to send the programmer an UNSIGNED contract, asking him/her to sign and return it ... only to discover that, as time passes and the market changes or something else, the programmer ends up being contractually committed, the clock starts running, but the company cant find the right person to sign and return you a complete two-way contract.

Writing a good game, though it is getting easier every year (thanks to Fastgraph), is still a major investment of time and sweat. Count the hours and you may discover you'd do better at the Burger King. I will *NEVER* do it again without getting a big chunk of cash up front, and some contractual performance clauses that corporate attorneys do not approve, or an absolute time-and-effort fee with a high hourly rate. That is unlikely because these businesses can always find some kid(s) who are motived by the imaginative challenge as fodder for their machines.

Jack Diamond

Posted By: CGF

Re: USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 33,000 units - 12/20/03 02:01

It doesnt matter how much you earn. It's a great job and I congratulate. If there is a chance to buy your game online then you will have one more customer in next few days

Re: USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 33,000 units - 12/30/03 01:09

A quick Holiday update.

USA BASS is available at Best Buy along with Walmart.

USA BASS is part of the product scan and get a video demo at Walmart.
At Walmart you just need to place the USA Bass product under the scanner and you get a 30 sec video played on the monitor above the scanner. (I though that was very cool).

Sales remain very good.

I wish all of us Indies a good new year in 2004. 3DGS's additon of shaders help's us compete for shelf space.

Ken

Re: USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 33,000 units - 12/30/03 03:59

We need to install something like those telethon-thermometer things that shows how close you are to your goal so we can watch the number of units sold climbing and cheer you on.

I think you should do an analysis when this is over like the ones they do on Gamasutra -what went right/what went wrong, as this may prove educational.

Re: USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 33,000 units - 12/30/03 07:26

Hi Burt,

I will get a royalty report on 2-15-04. That will include sales for 10-03 to 12-03. I will post the results on this forum.

I am proud that this product made by me as an Indie has done so well. I hope I am not sounding like a braggert. I am posting on this thread to encourage 3DGS users to keep trying. I also feel that the retail shelves are not closed to us Indies.

Ken

Re: USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 33,000 units - 12/30/03 07:57

Sounds great -and not at all like bragging. You should be happy with the results. I think these do give other 3DGS users hope. From looking at your Big John site it looks like you've been involved in plenty of titles. .I'm betting you make a decent living doing what you love to do as an independent. I think too many of us may be dreaming about the pie in the sky mega million dollar game which for most of us will never come, Its good to know that guys like you, Dan and others are using 3DGS to make money now by filling in niche markets. Seems like a good reality check to me.

Re: USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 33,000 units - 12/30/03 08:07

Quote:

Its good to know that guys like you, Dan and others are using 3DGS to make money now by filling in niche markets.

I remember reading somewhere on IGDA(I believe) that finding the right niche will lead to good things for an indie(if you're organized). Sound advice I'd say. Fishing games are certainly niche...just look at how well he's done and think about something like a Deer Hunter. He's probably closing in on 50000 units and that's great for any title.

Re: USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 33,000 units - 12/30/03 08:24

Hi Brat,

The market research of Deer Hunter was pretty simple.

GT asked the buyer at Walmart what title he thought would be popular. Roger Westmoreland replied a "Deer Hunting Game". Well GT hired Sunstorm to make a Deer Hunting game and Roger was correct the game sold very well. You do not have to look to hard for niche, just ask some questions. What markets are being under represented, which are crowded, hey mister buyer what game would you like us to create that you would buy a shitload of.

Well Sunstorm became successful, they hired a bunch of people and created alot of games. They were very prolific and never made a AA or AAA title. They had a good run before the cost of employees versus development budgets did not match up anymore. Same thing happened to me.

I like being an independent. The label indie is applied to me not by choice but by market conditions.

I truly feel we will see a rebirth of the indie developers with tools like 3DGS, Torque and Cipher. We happen to live in a very exciting game making time.

Ken

Re: USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 33,000 units - 12/30/03 10:50

Quote:

I like being an independent. The label indie is applied to me not by choice but by market conditions.

I truly feel we will see a rebirth of the indie developers with tools like 3DGS, Torque and Cipher. We happen to live in a very exciting game making time.

Me too. I haven't released anything, of course, but I know I will like the idea of being in control of my own time. I also agree about the rebirth, however, let's hope it doesn't become a "trend" and get huge and then suddenly die out like so many other trends.
Posted By: Dan Silverman

Re: USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 33,000 units - 12/30/03 15:01

Not to steal this thread (not my intention) but I do want to chime in on the fact that you CAN make money using products like 3D GameStudio. I have not made a single game as yet. Even so, I make a good portion of my living off of 3D GameStudio. I found (as others have been talking about here) my niche and it just happens to be, at this time, non-game related.

We are, indeed, living in an exciting time to be involved in RT3D development.
Posted By: NITRO777

Re: USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 33,000 units - 12/31/03 10:54

That sucks so bad! I am so jealous!While I have been sitting on my hands, you made a game thats selling at wal-mart and best buy in 90 days! I think I'll go jump off a cliff now.... Seriously though;Good job Nardulus. I really am happy for you.kudos!
Posted By: Cipher

Re: USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 33,000 units - 01/13/04 02:11

Well done Nard. old boy !

Hope to see a Super-Ultra sequel in the works

Best of luck to you on your future endeavours.
Posted By: WoolyLoach

Re: USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 33,000 units - 01/22/04 04:53

Congrats on your success! It's very encouraging to see this, makes me want to sneak out of my day job, go home, and fire up WED (lol).

Now the next time someone says "you can't make anything reasonable with 3DGS" I can send 'em to this thread!
Posted By: Digital Dave

Re: USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 33,000 units - 01/22/04 06:10

Groovy stuff Ken.

I like the 'Indie' title too. 'Customer'........

I see a few Indie games in PC Gamer lately. (Pssst.....Torque those bass next time - could be very cool).

Re: USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 33,000 units - 01/22/04 06:40

I did a search on Google and found a lot of strange things about my game.

1) A lot of people have been making cheats for it. Why? Its not that hard to play.

2) It has been added to Warez sites. Doug, I need the Warez Police. It cost's 10 Bucks for Gods sake.

"USA Bass Championship" brings up many entries on Google. I guess we have hit the big time.

I will post XMAS sales when I get them later in Feburary.

@Digital Dave

Torqued Bass, that sounds like animal cruelty, getting those fishies all pissed off.

Ken

Re: USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 33,000 units - 01/22/04 07:45

10 bucks is just too much! How are the warez kidz going to afford their crack if they have to pay for software?? We're so inconsiderate sometimes

Re: USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 33,000 units - 01/23/04 02:18

None of that is strange, and most especially the warez part. If you've got good sales, and you're in the warez newsgroups, perhaps you really can say 'bigtime', eh? Did you put your name on it? The warez dudes need to know who they steal from (your 15 min of fame).

It's nice to see a happy customer Ken. Torqued fish?? Sounds nasty. You don't suppose there's a newsgroup for that too eh? Torqued game maybe........nice lakes, pretty water, baked terrain textures, water waves even........you know.

Which NGs have your game? I want to see if I can DL a free copy

Quote:

It doesnt matter how much you earn.

Yes, it does. Why? Well,....... what's for dinner? Do you drive? Got gas? Own a home or live in an alley? Somewhere in between? It matters.

Re: USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 33,000 units - 01/23/04 05:42

@Dave

"Torqued" up here in Minnesota means "Mad" or "Angry". I was just smiling thinking of Angry Fish.

I am building a game in Torque right now. It's a flying game and needs the outdoor features Torque is good at. I do not like how difficult it is to get models into Torque. The 3DMAX plugin is slow and painful, Milkshape does not run on my machines, and Unwrap 3D does not support DTS. I like Unwrap3D as a converter very much. The target audience for my game is in classrooms so the Mac componet of Torque is huge.

I am also making a new game with 3DGS which does not need the huge outdoor levels. 3DGS physic's for balls is quite good. The shading control in 3DGS also is a plus for a sports game. The collision control in 3DGS is still not quite right but I think it is getting there.

The right tool for the right job. Torque, A6 or Cipher I like them all.

@Dave have you gotten a publisher for your racing game? I can make a submission for you with a local publisher if you would like.

Ken

Re: USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 33,000 units - 01/23/04 14:16

Mighty kind of you to offer Ken. We are putting the Monster Minis game on an arcade machine, but haven't decided on where to publish the PC version yet. Karen will contact you in a few days about this.

Looks like you have a solid business avenue there that we should look at.

Thanks
Posted By: Don Pedro

Re: USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 33,000 units - 01/23/04 19:32

Do you know how can I purchase this in Europe? Valusoft only ships in US?
Just to support your efforts and also examine (and hopefully understand) how did you manage to make a hit!
btw. I did a search in Google and like you said it's full of links to cheats, codes, warez etc. But did not find links to any retail sellers.

Re: USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 33,000 units - 01/23/04 23:08

I will ask the publisher about European distribution.

Valusoft is a Division of THQ, which has European distribution.

Dave I look forward to hearing from your group.

Ken
Posted By: Red Ocktober

Re: USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 33,000 units - 01/24/04 02:02

hey Nard... howd you do during the holiday sales period... any idea...

Continued Good Sales...

--Mike

Re: USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 33,000 units - 01/24/04 06:38

I get the report 45 days after the quarter's end.

Since the quarter ended Dec 31st, 2003. I will get the report on 2-15-04. So three more weeks and I should have the XMAS sales results.

I will post the update then. Over XMAS the game was at many more retail outlets, I am crossing my fingers that it will hit 50K.

Ken
Posted By: Neuro

Re: USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 33,000 units - 01/24/04 08:16

Heya Ken, I got some interesting stuff you may wanna check out...

Re: USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 33,000 units - 01/24/04 08:31

Neuro

I am looking for content for a publisher.

They guy I am working with is Dan Hammett, former President of Activision Value. His forming a new publishing company and he is partnering with a large publisher to get distribution.

I am looking for finished software that is retail quality. We can fund development of proven developers, Once the partnership deal is complete.

Neuro shoot me an email and we can discuss further. I would love to help you if I can.

Ken

Re: USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 33,000 units - 01/24/04 09:29

Ken, is this new company specializing in a particular market/genre? I'm still some months away from completion, but if I may be inmodest, I'd call my project "retail quality". It's a still-untitled RPG. Do you think I might be able to submit the finished product later this year?

Re: USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 33,000 units - 01/25/04 01:56

Firestorm,

We will take a look at it.

Please undestand that the publishing deal is negoiations right now. It could all fall apart. (I have been working on this for six months) If the deal goes through being an Indie developer myself I would love to help Indies get a chance.

I am crossing my fingers that we can get this down. We will start out in the value price category. Then work upwards from there.

Ken
Posted By: mccow28

Re: USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 33,000 units - 08/14/04 08:20

Best of luck, dude.
Posted By: Thehawk

Re: USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 33,000 units - 09/21/04 10:41

Hey Nard,

I'm an indie developer from the chi(cago) working in his first title. How exactly did you get valusoft to take an interest in your product... game?
Posted By: mccow28

Re: USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 33,000 units - 09/22/04 08:19

Good job bringing back the subject!

Re: USA BASS Championship Sales Hit 90,000 units - 09/22/04 10:02

HI Hawk,

Go Bears.........

The producer at Valusoft was the producer at GT Interactive when we created the FLW fishing series for them.

I have created over 40 commerical games / educational products. So I am able to us my past pedigree to keep the door open to pitch product concepts. There are alot of people I have worked with in the past that are still in the business.

You need to be persistent with producers and keep plugging away. Valusoft supports indie developers, it may be a little trickier if you have not gotten a game produced yet, be as professional as possible and really research sales potential of your game.

USA BASS has sold through over 90,000 units now. I am working on USA BASS 2, which will be released this spring. The game needs a face lift graphically and alot of little bugs need to be cleaned up for the sequel. I am adding some suprises also.

Ken
© 2024 lite-C Forums