MDL Reducer -polygon reduction software for 3DGS

Posted By: Hiroyuki

MDL Reducer -polygon reduction software for 3DGS - 12/27/05 17:47

Hello,

I have developed a polygon reduction software for the 3D GameStudio models, "MDL Reducer". It can read, reduce and write 3DGS MDL files directly and easily.

MDL Reducer reduces not only vertices and faces but also corresponding skin vertices maintaining the appearance of the original as much as possible. And it also supports models containing vertex animation frames.

While MDL Reducer would cut more than 70% of your original model's polygons and skin vertices maintaining almost the same appearance of the original(as you can see below), the effect of reduction depends on your original model's density, shape and levels of the reduction which you can set to this software.

MDL Reducer 0.9 is free of charge for standard use!(game creation)

Following images are from my experiment using this software:

Before the reduction

Reducing with the MDL Reducer

After the reduction

DOWNLOAD the MDL Reducer
My web site

I hope this software helps you much!
Posted By: JetpackMonkey

Re: MDL Reducer -polygon reduction software for 3DGS - 12/27/05 18:16

Hiroyuki,

You are a hero! In more ways than one!

Unfortunately I'm having a problem getting one of my models reduced. Can I email it to you, and maybe you can tell me if it's a bug or if I am doing something wrong?

Thank you so much for this brilliant contribution. WOW! I've always had to reduce my models by going .3DS -> .WRL -> Vizup -> WRL -> 3DS -> MDL, which really takes a lot of time. Your tool will save a *lot* of time and headache!

May I make a few feature requests if you make another version? It would be lovely if you could see the MDL in the application, so you could see how it looks in various reductions, so that you could test different reductions in real time, before saving it. Then it would be perfect! But it's so cool already!!!
If I may email you my model, would you send me a message?

Best wishes, and thank you so much!
Posted By: Hellcrypt

Re: MDL Reducer -polygon reduction software for 3DGS - 12/27/05 18:31

Whoa that is cool, can we use this in a commercial use?
Posted By: Lion_Ts

Re: MDL Reducer -polygon reduction software for 3DGS - 12/27/05 19:21

Thank you for the gift, Hiroyuki
Posted By: Hellcrypt

Re: MDL Reducer -polygon reduction software for 3DGS - 12/27/05 19:26

Is anyone kind of crashing?
Posted By: Dima

Re: MDL Reducer -polygon reduction software for 3D - 12/27/05 19:32

Yes, it chrashes!

Sorry for my English
Posted By: Thomas_Nitschke

Re: MDL Reducer -polygon reduction software for 3D - 12/27/05 21:12

Wow, that's neat!
Can we expect a version that works for MDL7 models as well?
Posted By: Damocles

Re: MDL Reducer -polygon reduction software for 3D - 12/27/05 22:54

Nice Tool, but unfortunatly I get my model to have some
ackward faces.
Maybe your next version will have an improved reduction
algorythm.
But nice work for a free tool.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: MDL Reducer -polygon reduction software for 3D - 12/28/05 00:07

Thanks Hiroyuki! You're amazing! Anata wa subarashii desu! Arigatou.
Posted By: Pappenheimer

Re: MDL Reducer -polygon reduction software for 3D - 12/28/05 01:41

How do I use an .lzh file?
Posted By: Olzii

Re: MDL Reducer -polygon reduction software for 3D - 12/28/05 02:47

Thank you very much, Very useful tool. Wish you SUCCESS ! Keep it doing.

Olzii
Posted By: JetpackMonkey

Re: MDL Reducer -polygon reduction software for 3D - 12/28/05 03:27

Pappenheimer-- try downloading and using WinRAR-- it can extract.lzh!

Posted By: Jamie_Lynn

Re: MDL Reducer -polygon reduction software for 3D - 12/28/05 04:27

Can't wait to try it out. Could be very useful for those of us trying to design for lower end cards. Thanks very much for sharing.

Re: MDL Reducer -polygon reduction software for 3D - 12/28/05 05:14

What fonts have you use ?

At my PC, It looks like :

My PC : P4 2.8GHz, 256MB RAM, 160GB HDD, GeforceMX 64MB video adapter, Windows 2000 with SP4
Posted By: Matt_Coles

Re: MDL Reducer -polygon reduction software for 3D - 12/28/05 05:22

this is excellent. Have been waiting for this. Top-knotch contribution

Re: MDL Reducer -polygon reduction software for 3D - 12/28/05 06:22

@ALL: THANK YOU very much for trying and commenting on my software!
(WING: Arigato gozaimasu.^_^)

@Jetpack_Monkey: Of course you can email me the details. (type74(at)ssbn.office.ne.jp) And I think the realtime rendering feature which you mentioned is useful too, but it seems a bit tough to implement.

@Hellcrypt: MDL Reducer 0.9 is free of charge even for commercial game creation.

@Dima: Please let me know details of the problem. I am woundering about whether it works fine on multi-lingual OS environment.

@The Matrix: After some update of the MDL5 version, I want to improve it to support MDL7. Because new model feature of 3DGS 6.4 public beta version seems great!

@Damocles: It is helpful for me if you let me know the details of ackward faces.

@Pappenheimer: I re-packaged it into ZIP.

@Olzii: Oh sorry..., maybe I used Japanese font...I will check and fix it soon.

Re: MDL Reducer -polygon reduction software for 3D - 12/28/05 12:08

This is good to hear! I just thought the same concerning the new MDL7 format so it would be really nice to have the tool availabe for it as well

Re: MDL Reducer -polygon reduction software for 3D - 12/28/05 16:05

Now I released MDL Reducer Ver.0.91 with new font setting feature. I hope this feature solves the font problem above.

Re: MDL Reducer -polygon reduction software for 3D - 12/29/05 02:27

Thanks Hiroyuki,

Finally I've got it. Give me some time to test it.

Olzii
Posted By: Nadester

Re: MDL Reducer -polygon reduction software for 3D - 12/29/05 05:24

Nice contribution. Why not port this into the MED SDK?
Posted By: A.Russell

Re: MDL Reducer -polygon reduction software for 3D - 12/29/05 06:22

This is excellent, Hiro.

If you are going to continue to develop it, how about MD7 support? I like Nadester's idea of making it run from MED as well.
Posted By: Nicolas_B

Re: MDL Reducer -polygon reduction software for 3D - 12/29/05 06:32

boa. Thanks for this Tool.
Very good idee
Posted By: vlau

Re: MDL Reducer -polygon reduction software for 3D - 12/29/05 14:49

Excellent tool!

Perhaps add a feature to show the model at
realtime before and after poly reduction
in your next version.

Arigato!
Posted By: EX Citer

Re: MDL Reducer -polygon reduction software for 3D - 12/29/05 22:13

Hi Hiroyuki,

Will you create more tools? Are you working on projects or game projects? Is this the first tool you have created, because I canīt find other downloads on your HP?
Posted By: JoraSell

Re: MDL Reducer -polygon reduction software for 3D - 12/30/05 18:24

Interesting program, desire to try is increasing near the point of downloading you file. A little while longer I think, and then I will download.

Re: MDL Reducer -polygon reduction software for 3D - 01/01/06 10:26

@ALL:THANK YOU for comments above. And A Happy New Year 2006!
@Nadester:I think porting this into the MED SDK is interesting but I have never created MED plugin so maybe I need more time to do so.
@A.Russell:Currently I am searching for technical information of the MDL7 format and structures. The MDL Import/Export SDK on the download section of the Conitec seems to be sufficient but I want to collect the information as much as possible.
@vlau:I think the realtime showing feature which you mentioned is useful too, but it seems a bit tough to implement.
@EX Citer:Although I developed many tools localized in Japanese, it is my first release of 3DGS related tool in English. (And I want to improve it and release more.) Regarding the 3DGS-worked game, I created some mini Japanese game but my main project is still under development.
@JoraSell:Sorry for the inconvenience, but I want to use the Xoops for easy site management.
Posted By: mk_1

Re: MDL Reducer -polygon reduction software for 3D - 01/01/06 15:09

Hey Hiro! Where to get this cool xmas cap? I need something like that right now.

MDL reducer works well.
Posted By: Gafgar

Re: MDL Reducer -polygon reduction software for 3D - 01/01/06 15:28

Quote:

@A.Russell:Currently I am searching for technical information of the MDL7 format and structures. The MDL Import/Export SDK on the download section of the Conitec seems to be sufficient but I want to collect the information as much as possible.

Look at the wiki ^^
I think it holds mush info about the MDL7 format…
I never read it my self but I think I seen a page for that..
Posted By: A.Russell

Re: MDL Reducer -polygon reduction software for 3D - 01/01/06 15:37

Hiro, the MD7 format is described in the new manual (see the manual forum if you don't have the latest, but the MD7 format has been around for a while now). Just ask JCL if you need any more info, I'm sure he'll be happy to have someone working on 3rd party tools for his engine.

I was just wondering, how do you think 3DGS would go in Japan? Being a geek paradise, I think it would go off. I have done a couple of translations of software into Japanese (e-107 PHP and Advanced Installer to be more specific), and have often thought that 3DGS would be poplular in Japan if the language support were available.
Posted By: Christian__A

Re: MDL Reducer -polygon reduction software for 3D - 01/01/06 17:32

This is a very nice and usefull tool! Thank you very much for sharing it! I will try it as soon as possible.
Posted By: Jamie_Lynn

Re: MDL Reducer -polygon reduction software for 3D - 01/02/06 15:47

Trying this out now. Found one snag.

I have an older model - but it says it is MDL5 format - It has one skin - checked - it is is 24 bit rgb and no mipmaps. But I got a unknown format error just the same. If you want to test it out - you can get the model here

Re: MDL Reducer -polygon reduction software for 3D - 01/05/06 09:51

@mk_1:Though there is an anothor author of the original model of the xmas cap and he says it isn't a completely free model, I like the xmas cap too.
@Gafgar:Thank you for the information of the MDL7! I will check it.
@A.Russell:Oh my 3DGS manual has been an old version.. Thank you for the information! And I think many Japanses would choose 3DGS too, if the language issues which you mentioned are solved, and 2D animated culture which constitutes the main part of the "geek paradise" are turned into 3D more. Actually I myself am introducing 3DGS into Japanese people, but I think I need to arrange more Japanese documents and Japanase sample games of 3DGS though..
@ChristianA:Thank you.
@Jamie_Lynn:I checked your model above and noticed that while MED 6.24 says the model's skin is 256x256x16, the exported skin image from the model is 24bit certainly.. Though I don't know the reason of this, I succeeded to convert it to 256x256x24 by importing the same 24bit skin from TGA.(BMP and PCX were not imported as 24bit.) (Anyway, sorry for such a many requirements of the input model of the current version of the MDL Reducer. I will improve it. )

Re: MDL Reducer -polygon reduction software for 3D - 01/06/06 03:33

Quote:

(Anyway, sorry for such a many requirements of the input model of the current version of the MDL Reducer. I will improve it. )

Now I released MDL Reducer Ver0.92. 3DGS MDL5 models containing multiple skins and 8or16or32 bit skins are newly surpported from this version.
Posted By: Josh_Arldt

Re: MDL Reducer -polygon reduction software for 3D - 01/07/06 02:14

Thank you very much for this usefull tool.
Posted By: Matt_Coles

Re: MDL Reducer -polygon reduction software for 3D - 01/09/06 07:58

Can't wait for the md7 format, thanks again for the great contribution

Matt Coles
Posted By: JoraSell

Re: MDL Reducer -polygon reduction software for 3D - 01/09/06 12:34

Looking forward to mdl7 support, since all of the models I am doing are in this format, I would be wasting my time to tyr your product now, it does look wonderful, and I would realy like to download it now and make use of it, but my current project, as stated above, uses the mdl7 format.

Re: MDL Reducer -polygon reduction software for 3D - 01/09/06 16:33

Yep, me too. Keep it up!
Posted By: JimFox

Re: MDL Reducer -polygon reduction software for 3D - 01/10/06 16:26

Hello Hiroyuki,
I downloaded your polygon reducer, and it worked great. Got a 20% reduction in polys with no discernable loss in quality. For me, I can use this well, even with the MDL5 limitation, just by doing the poly reduction and then converting to MDL7. I guess it would work better to do the poly reduction before animating. I would also encourage you to make another version that handles both model formats, but this is very usable as it is. Happy new year!!
Best regards,

Re: MDL Reducer -polygon reduction software for 3D - 01/16/06 23:54

@ALL:Thank you very much for encouraging comments above! Although now I have less free time than the New Year's holidays, I will improve it and want to support the MDL7 before long.
Posted By: Galen

Re: MDL Reducer -polygon reduction software for 3D - 08/24/06 17:48

I just tried it after looking around for exactly such a program, and it worked quite well. Some of my skin UV mapping came out odd, but that likely has to do with the way I mapped it in the first place

I'm going to try this with a bunch of my models that can use reducing. MDL7 would be great, but for now converting the model myself is fine. Great job!
Posted By: Ch40zzC0d3r

Re: MDL Reducer -polygon reduction software for 3D - 11/08/12 18:40

EDIT: He moved links! New link: http://www.type74.org/en/downloads/mdlreducer092.zip
Posted By: 3run

Re: MDL Reducer -polygon reduction software for 3D - 11/08/12 22:15

OMG... Does it support mdl7?

Re: MDL Reducer -polygon reduction software for 3D - 11/09/12 06:16

Originally Posted By: 3run
OMG... Does it support mdl7?

No but you could comvert it to mdl5 and back.
Posted By: sivan

Re: MDL Reducer -polygon reduction software for 3D - 11/09/12 13:46

hmm. nice I'll try. any good/bad experience with it?

Re: MDL Reducer -polygon reduction software for 3D - 11/10/12 11:50

sivan@ just downloaded it, and as I didn't give it a try yet, I've moved throw the thread to see feedbacks, people say that it works pretty nice for everyone laugh

Re: MDL Reducer -polygon reduction software for 3D - 11/10/12 18:36

cool. thanks. I just have no time in these days at all for 3dgs works... hopefully next week.

Re: MDL Reducer -polygon reduction software for 3D - 11/20/12 18:04

I couldn't get this to work.. I've converted "pinetree" model via fragMOTION into mdl5, and this tool says that it's opened and could be reduced. Then I set "Reduction Number" to "2" (I've tried all of the possible values) and "Reduction Level" to "1" (also I've tried all of the possible values) and I press "Reduce" but the amount of vertices and faces are just the same as they were when I just imported model into this tool. And new saved model is just the same as the original. Here is the screen, I've used the max possible values:
Quote:
Importing model:

Reducing model:
I have no idea, why this doesn't work for me, maybe I've made something wrong??

Re: MDL Reducer -polygon reduction software for 3D - 11/20/12 20:58

LOL the polycounter of the tool fails for me too...
Ever openes model in MED and watched if it worked?

Re: MDL Reducer -polygon reduction software for 3D - 11/21/12 09:16

I'm not sure Fragmotion's mdl exporters/importers are perfect. I have many problems with them, I'll report them on FM forum if make tests. It's much better to use MED and save as there as MDL5. But still had no time to test it... frown

Re: MDL Reducer -polygon reduction software for 3D - 11/21/12 12:09

But as you see on the first screen, model is successfully opened (I can open it with MED as well). Anyway, I'll try to export it with MED as you said.

Re: MDL Reducer -polygon reduction software for 3D - 12/03/12 17:47

doesn't work if I export from MED.. it can't even open it!
Posted By: rayp

Re: MDL Reducer -polygon reduction software for 3D - 12/14/12 21:48

If iam right it only saves MD5 models ( no bones ). So u could use Milkshape aswell. The reducer of milkshape works but has the same prob as MD5: bones are lost.

btw
The mdl reducer here did not work for me too.

Re: MDL Reducer -polygon reduction software for 3D - 12/14/12 22:29

I wanted to use this one for vegetables only.. but no luck.
© 2024 lite-C Forums