84 Josef's Tear Textures

Posted By: AIS_Rich

84 Josef's Tear Textures - 09/01/05 19:42

With the Josef's Tear project cancelled earlier this year, I have hundreds of textures sitting on my HDD with no where to go. Here's a small selection of 84 ranging from decorated walls, carpets, windows, floors, etc. The style is primarily dark gothic and contains small texture sets as well as individuals. Sizes range from smaller deco pieces up to 512x512. Most of these were created for the game but not used as things changed. The image below is a sample of the set, and the full set (.bmp format, not in .wads) can be downloaded from JTtextures

The textures are free for non-commercial use. Credit only is required for commercial use. The textures are to be used in projects and can be modified. The textures may not be sold individually, as this collection, or as part of another collection.

Enjoy,
Rich DiGiovanni
Posted By: Pappenheimer

Re: 84 Josef's Tear Textures - 09/01/05 20:05

Magnificent contribution! Magnificent textures!

But it is a pity that they are unused. Hope they find a place in a good game soon!

It seems that they haven't been used in Josef's Tears. Does this mean that you still hope that the project will be re-started ... ?
Posted By: bupaje

Re: 84 Josef's Tear Textures - 09/01/05 20:17

Hey Rich. Glad to see the textures - as always you do beautiful work. If you have luck contacting Az please ask him to drop in and say hi.
Posted By: Sebe

Re: 84 Josef's Tear Textures - 09/01/05 20:25

This contribution rocks. Thank you very, very much.

Re: 84 Josef's Tear Textures - 09/01/05 20:35

Pappenheimer, it does not look like JT will be restarted any time soon. But this is good news for contributions at least. I'm starting off releasing some of the unused JT textures since they didn't appear in any of the levels, but am slowly convincing myself to release all of the textures that I created. If JT was restarted, it would most likely need new textures anyway better designed for use with shaders and such.

Hey Burt, I am in touch with Az sporadically, but next time I talk to him I'll definitely let him know.

LordSebe, thank you, be on the look out for many more:)
Posted By: Nadester

Re: 84 Josef's Tear Textures - 09/01/05 20:54

Fantastic! I wish the best for you and Az with your projects.
Posted By: Michael_Schwarz

Re: 84 Josef's Tear Textures - 09/01/05 21:01

Oh my god. You are really giving away your amazing jason textures?

Thanks man!

Fantastic Contribution
Posted By: Guardian

Re: 84 Josef's Tear Textures - 09/01/05 23:18

To bad all you guys that have JT content can't get together and rebuild as much as you can.

Thanks for the contribution.
Posted By: Tozzy

Re: 84 Josef's Tear Textures - 09/01/05 23:58

Stunning stuff there . Would love to see my castle made of that .
Posted By: Matt_Coles

Re: 84 Josef's Tear Textures - 09/02/05 04:54

great work. Why's Josefs Tear cancelled . I loved the screens from showcase
Posted By: ShoreVietam

Re: 84 Josef's Tear Textures - 09/02/05 05:44

I'll download them and have a look at them when I'm back from work, but the preview looks great.

Thanks alot for such a contibution!
Posted By: SlyBoots

Re: 84 Josef's Tear Textures - 09/02/05 06:03

Quote:

Typhoon.
Posted By: Blattsalat

Re: 84 Josef's Tear Textures - 09/02/05 06:28

thanks

very bad that they cant continue working on it

cheers
Posted By: FBL

Re: 84 Josef's Tear Textures - 09/02/05 07:18

Quote:

Quote:

Typhoon.

Partly. AFAIK his house was broken into (after the Tsunami) and anything related to PCs and video consoles was stolen.
Posted By: Mr Wurm

Re: 84 Josef's Tear Textures - 09/02/05 12:24

Ommmgg I love you!...

Anyways great textures, downloading right now for my own collection. I was always impressed by the screens from Josephs Tear, my first attempts at leveling were attempts at imitating the style, sad it had to die. Feel like its Christmas..please release more!
Posted By: Juppp

Re: 84 Josef's Tear Textures - 09/02/05 12:35

wow

but honestly... i don't think you should completly ditch your JT project...

EDIT:

Quote:

Partly. AFAIK his house was broken into (after the Tsunami) and anything related to PCs and video consoles was stolen.

nm, after reading this it doesn't surprise me at all now.
Posted By: Mr Wurm

Re: 84 Josef's Tear Textures - 09/02/05 13:38

Please add a Readme with the Credit information. Because sometimes it becomes difficult to remember who you have to credit after the data has matured in the harddisk for some months.
Posted By: ello

Re: 84 Josef's Tear Textures - 09/02/05 13:41

i have a ("josef's") tear in my eye, hearing this *** happening to az, and hearing that this most liked project isnt continued

Re: 84 Josef's Tear Textures - 09/02/05 14:50

As was mentioned above the reason for JT's cancellation was the theft that Az suffered. Az lives in Malaysia and survived the tsunami and earthquake that struck that area. He had to leave the area for a few months and when he returned his home was there, but was wiped clean by thieves. The JT project was primarily worked on by just Az and I for about 2 years (along with help from a budding newb by the name of bupaje back when he was just starting:) ), but Az had actually started the project himself even before that. That meant that Az had most of the assets for the project. Even though Az had multiple seperate hard drive backups, even they were stolen. It was pretty devastating for Az to have literrally every texture, model, level, and code disappear and rebuilding a multi year project is not something he's interested in yet. It's not necessarily never going to be done, but we would make everything from scratch.

Mr Wurm, excellent idea, I'll get that in there asap.
Posted By: Grimber

Re: 84 Josef's Tear Textures - 09/02/05 19:39

they are great textures. you could mabey consider seeing if contec wouldn;t want to add them to the resources for download page or even additions for the CD texture packs
Posted By: Tachys

Re: 84 Josef's Tear Textures - 09/03/05 00:21

Rich, you read my mind... or at least my post somewhere about this!

Thanks for bringing these back out to light... and hopefully you'll decide to bring the others you hinted out as well!

here's a quick and dirty example of what just 4 of these looks like in a hallway type setting!

Loved em long before you let us use them, Rich! Great work!
Posted By: clone45

Re: 84 Josef's Tear Textures - 09/03/05 22:02

Hello!

With Rich's permission, I've mirrored these at www.gamebeep.com . I've thumbnailed them here.

Thanks!
- Bret

Re: 84 Josef's Tear Textures - 09/04/05 06:42

i am very disappointed that the textures are photo cut outs. I always thought JT was a hand drawn game that shows how you can paint good looking textures as well.

but anyhow, they are professional made and thats basicly what counts...though a world crumbeled for me

Re: 84 Josef's Tear Textures - 09/04/05 17:31

Blattsalat, that's is actually a very nice complement Perhaps I could undissapoint by letting you know that most of the textures in the set were hand drawn Only 14 out of the 84 are photos which are the MoldyWall1+2, the wood textures, the H_StckRck textures, and the HQ DngRck textures. The rest may contain a photo element, but generally don't exist in the real world.

For example, in the samples.jpg from the top of the post, the window and carpet are completely hand drawn. The arch texture at the bottom right is hand drawn, including the arch window, except for the deco column top at the edges of the texture. The arch texture at the top left is all created by hand except for the inset rocks inside the arches. The image below is a partial look at the layers and workflow of creating the upper left texture.

Re: 84 Josef's Tear Textures - 09/04/05 22:19

i have seen that some parts are handdrawn but on the shots they looks all handdrawn to me

still they look excellent
Posted By: Asse

Re: 84 Josef's Tear Textures - 09/05/05 06:43

This is a really great contribution, the textures are wonderful!! It's a shame that this project was cancled

Anyway, I'm excited about the other textures!
Posted By: Lion_Ts

Re: 84 Josef's Tear Textures - 09/09/05 17:44

Thank You for textures.
And I'm sorry for that troubles...
People in big sity like a monkey sometime. Year ago in my country was an 'orange revolution'. (Did you see it on tv ?) At the meeting my money was stolen from my pants
Posted By: Tachys

Re: 84 Josef's Tear Textures - 09/23/05 14:19

As another download resource, you can grab them ->here<- as well. Thanks again, Rich!
Posted By: Bilbo

Re: 84 Josef's Tear Textures - 10/07/05 23:24

sorry for bring this up again but im currently using these to texture my new castle built in wed :P ill post some screens in the showcase 1 when im done
Posted By: Matt_Aufderheide

Re: 84 Josef's Tear Textures - 10/08/05 07:05

Just as aside, in relation to the devestating idea that your whole game and work can be stolen.. if you EVER leave your house foran extended period, burn all your assets to a CD or DVD and either take it with you or lock it in a safety deposite box. Why you just leave it on your HD in your house for a few months is beyond me. The other possiblity, store everything on a ftp server.

Re: 84 Josef's Tear Textures - 10/08/05 10:41

id take my harddrive, but in his case it wasnt possible due to the fact he had to leave... real quick (tidal wave)

Re: 84 Josef's Tear Textures - 10/08/05 15:44

ok im done! the level screenshots are here, the only texture that wasnt from this pack was the roof.

http://www.coniserver.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=577684&Main=577199#Post577684
Posted By: Why_Do_I_Die

Re: 84 Josef's Tear Textures - 10/22/05 22:03

Beautiful Textures , greately appreciated , THNX.
Posted By: Tozzy

Re: 84 Josef's Tear Textures - 10/22/05 23:36

You didn't know they had been hand drawn Blattsalat? I'm surprised. I knew straight away they were handdrawn. You can by light and shadow etc. I suppose we all make mistakes though lol . A lovely contribution once again but I'm shocked that you're giving these away. People would probably pay a lot for textures that are practically impossible to find anywhere on the internet. These are hard to find because they are ready to use and also because they are unique. Well done.
Posted By: ShadowFire

Re: 84 Josef's Tear Textures - 11/17/05 02:44

Thanks Rich

Always liked them, even way back at the start of JT. Pity about the discontinuation of the game.

I'll also host it at 3DGS User's Voice. Just to make sure.

Cheers

Shad

© 2024 lite-C Forums