RPG Templates

Posted By: Claus_N

RPG Templates - 05/06/05 14:40

Hi,

I've made some RPG templates... It can be downloaded HERE .
It includes:
  • Isometric camera view
  • Close combat AIs - Can also use spells
  • Spells (Fireball, Iceball and Healing)
  • An inventory system
  • Etc.
I've also made a small level that uses these templates (compiled .exe format). It can be downloaded HERE .

Comments are welcome

Enjoy

--Claus
Posted By: FeiHongJr

Re: RPG Templates - 05/06/05 14:42

First to say thanks checking it out now will edit when im done

Ok first let me say Wow. I downloaded the demo level very impresive. However How do i fight back I just ran away from everyone needless to say didnt get very far. Anyhow great contribution. It should help alot of people. Myself i just want to take a look at the code and see what i can learn Thank you.
Posted By: LordRathan

Re: RPG Templates - 05/06/05 14:49

The demo-level looks cool.

Re: RPG Templates - 05/06/05 14:57

Hi, thanks for the comments

Quote:

How do i fight back

lol
I know my combat system isn't the best ever... Click on your enemies, when they're near, then it should work...
If anyone knows how to make it better, I'll be very glad to hear how

Some screenshots from the demo-level:

Re: RPG Templates - 05/06/05 15:29

lol ok think i did that once or twice too just wasnt sure. Really looks good however. And will at least be a starting point for alot of people im sure. Thanks again
Posted By: Alkai

Re: RPG Templates - 05/06/05 15:33

You're the man!!

Thanks for this!
Posted By: skript

Re: RPG Templates - 05/06/05 16:31

Thank you , very impressed

skript
Posted By: Drittz_Dourden

Re: RPG Templates - 05/07/05 01:00

wow thanks. will give it a peek at tonight

Daniel
Posted By: Braxton

Re: RPG Templates - 05/07/05 02:15

Very nice. These will most definatly come in handy.
Posted By: DavidLancaster

Re: RPG Templates - 05/08/05 00:38

Quote:

lol
I know my combat system isn't the best ever... Click on your enemies, when they're near, then it should work...
If anyone knows how to make it better, I'll be very glad to hear how

Reminds me of my old RPGS where every enemy was the guard model. I haven't downloaded it as I don't need it, but it looks very good. Regarding your questions:

Do you scan instruction every time the player clicks, if more than one enemy is within say 100 quants of the player, make the player attack the closest enemy, regardless of whether the player has clicked or not.

Look at the AUM which has a click and the player moves there method, it uses the vec_for_screen or something, but it actually does it twice, once at a range of 0 and twice at a very long range, like 4000, then trace between the two points and the target vector will be the world coordinates of where the player clicked, do a scan instruction from that point of say 100 quants, that way the clicking doesn't have to be exactly on the entity when you use event_click. (I'm not sure if you used event_click for to check which enemy the player has clicked)

Re: RPG Templates - 05/08/05 00:58

I just wish there was a level up part to the csript (where the players chooses the stats that he wants to make better).

Re: RPG Templates - 05/08/05 01:44

Quote:

I just wish there was a level up part to the csript (where the players chooses the stats that he wants to make better).

ya me to, when i downloaded it..i was thinking maybe some skeleton system for leveling up was gonna be in there since it said RPG . but there wasnt ...but it is still a good contributation none the less and i think maybe it leaves enough room for the one downloading it to add on to it

Daniel

Re: RPG Templates - 05/08/05 02:21

I know its very out of date however the venture.wdl uses a method of leveling up. Prehaps take a look there might give you some idea how to go about it.

Re: RPG Templates - 05/08/05 10:10

Quote:

Hmmm... You're right...
That shouldn't be too dificult to make... I'll try...

EDIT: Okay, I've uploaded the RPG templates with level-up code (the same link)... Press [c] to chow the stats panel
Posted By: Sparta

Re: RPG Templates - 05/08/05 16:50

This can be one of the best contribution ever, if you can fix some little anoyonces can be perfect!! thanks and keep the good work!!

Re: RPG Templates - 05/08/05 18:11

Quote:

if you can fix some little anoyonces

Which???

Re: RPG Templates - 05/08/05 21:24

the only thing's i didnt like,.. was how when i rotated the camera and i stop..it comes to kind of a rough stop instead of a smooth stop...but that aint nothing to really about that just me being picky

also the actual battle fight is kinda slow...but once agien can be edited and rescripted if you know c-script. so no real biggy there.. other than that i was very pleased.

daniel

Re: RPG Templates - 05/12/05 00:48

Thanks for the level up part.

Re: RPG Templates - 05/12/05 01:33

just downloaded the rpg templetes agien and the level up system works great, way to go

i noticed a few things that kinda bugged me and may need to be worked on..

Item placement/selection - sometimes when i went to pick up a item, it wouldn't select the item and would just keep moving the character back and fourth. it took up 8 times to pick up the club.
sometimes items under transparent trees items underneth couldnt be picked up.

Combat- one thing i can see worked on is, when the player clicks the enemy he needs to eather stop not passthrough the enemy... i was fighting the enemy from within the enemys model (if that makes since).

Camera control- no real biggy here.. but whenever i turn the camera left or right when it goes to stop it kinda just STOPS- maybe have it stop more in a smooth way.

Thats really it.. other things can be added by the user of the templates to enhance them.

I think you really got something going here and i hope you keep working on them. You are on the road to making RPG's With game studio alot easier.

within a few moments i was thinking of ways of creating another diablo clone, or baldurs gate 2 with your templetes . and that cool think about it is...you can

Good luck
Daniel

Daniel

Re: RPG Templates - 05/12/05 18:12

Hi,

Thanks for the kind words

I'll be too busy for a few days... But after then, I think I'll try to "fix" the combat system, and the "item pickup system"... I think it should be possible using ent_create and scan_entity, but it will take some time to implement...
Next week, I hope

The camera "problem":
Replace function camera_turn() in RPG_player.wdl with this modified version of it:

function camera_turn()
{
proc_kill(4);
var amount = 0;
while(1)
{
if(key_q)
{
amount = clamp(amount - 2 * time,-5,5);
}
else
{
if(key_e)
{
amount = clamp(amount + 2 * time,-5,5);
}
}
amount = clamp(amount + (sign(amount) * -1) * time,-5,5);

cam_pan += amount * time;
wait(1);
}
}
Posted By: SlyBoots

Re: RPG Templates - 05/16/05 00:17

I don't have a need for it at the moment, but it sounds like a great contribution.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: RPG Templates - 05/16/05 16:42

Hi. Nice to see you working in the RPG template system but I will design my own after I get out of the Daytona Beach Rehabilitation Center.
Posted By: Inestical

Re: RPG Templates - 05/18/05 19:27

downloading and hoping to see nice sample
Posted By: Serlink

Re: RPG Templates - 05/21/05 10:08

Thanks for the RPG templates. You did so even I can understand it

Sam

Re: RPG Templates - 05/21/05 10:25

lol

I've uploaded a new version of the RPG temp., with an improved fighting/pickup system... So it should be easier to hit the enemies now

I'll also upload a new version of the sample level very soon... (With the new changes in the temp.)

EDIT: The same downloadlink...
EDIT: I've uploaded the sample level, with the new changes... I hope there isn't missing files... (couldn't test it this time...)

Re: RPG Templates - 05/21/05 11:34

I've read in AUM46's hot features, that the entities will get strings... When that update is released, I think I'll create a health panel to the enemies, where their "names" will be shown, just like in diablo II... (ent.string1 could be their "name"...)

Re: RPG Templates - 05/21/05 12:45

just checked out the updates. Good job. Its still too hard I get killed everytime lol. Gotta put a save feature in there or you leaving that for us Anyways great work It was really fun. I played it about 20 times

Re: RPG Templates - 05/21/05 15:29

lol

I have never tried to make a save/load game menu, and I don't think I'll try it now...
EDIT: you can use the default [F2] and [F3] quicksaves...

Quote:

Its still too hard

The enemies are too good ( ), or still a too bad fighting system...?

300 downloads reached!!! - 07/29/05 21:21

The RPG Templates has got 300 downloads now!!!

Wow, I would never had thought that
Posted By: Sparta

Re: 300 downloads reached!!! - 07/29/05 22:53

My Friend Claus what you have accomplished here is something unique for non programers like me, with this tools i making my demo hoping someone else join my crew. Thank for everything and hoping for improvments.
Posted By: Nikorasu

Re: 300 downloads reached!!! - 08/01/05 01:43

I just downloaded your templates and played the demo. I actually almost got the key until the magician fired me to pieces. I tried to fire back but I couldn't turn quickly enough to target him.

I think (but am not sure how) I'll try to add a save in the menu.

I am also trying to create a very nice RPG, not sure if I want to have it pure action fighting. I'm partial to the old turn based battles. But this is great! I haven't looked at the code yet but I'm sure I can get the hang of scripting soon. Just takes soooooo long to study and do all those tutorials.

I would also like to add a new camera view so it's more adjustable like a complete 3D point of view. I mean you can look in front of you, in back of you, above and all around, if that makes any sense.

This is a great find. Thank you for your contribution. If I use any of your scripts in my RPG, I'll be sure to give you credit.

RPG Templates - An unfinished manual - 08/03/05 15:20

After I finished the RPG Templates, I begun writing kinda manual to it...
I did never get it finished, but if someone could use it (or maybe finish it ), then it's here:
http://www.nighthawk.dk/demos/RPGTman.zip

Re: RPG Templates - An unfinished manual - 08/05/05 12:02

8 downloads... No comments? lol
Posted By: tekninja

Re: RPG Templates - An unfinished manual - 08/10/05 13:08

awesome work man! i definately wish i could do all that heh.

changes (ideas):

Although i cant do any better.. 'if i could' id make it so at spawn you wouldnt be able to see the other stair steps on the other side of the wall.. or maybe even something where you cant see things on the other side of the walls if the room is closed/locked or if you cant get to it from your current location.. it would leave more surprise and exploration.

the combat system seems a bit buggy. i kept clicking the enemy and i would go right through him. it would be nice if you only have to click the enemy once and it will keep striking at it until the enemy dies. ( you would still be able to run away )

when you get potions you drink em up even if your mp or hp is full, they should go in your inventory before you choose to use it or not ( what if it was poison lol? )

the spells seem to go on forever till they hit something, it would be more appropriate if the only went a certain distance and then faded away.

additions (ideas):

enemies drop loot!

an xp bar with the HP and MP bar.
refreshes at new level. takes longer each time.

a stamina system ( very much like the HP and MP system )
where it would guzzle down 'stamina' points as you use the 'run' feature
so you wouldnt be able to run forever and ever ( so tiring )
with added bar beside the hp and mp.
also added in the stats page so you can upgrade and run further!

i can go on literally forever i have so much ideas i just wish i could actually do them!
oh and this may sound stupid but would you be able to post up the actual source of demo itself? well thanks in advance for any action you take of anything i just mentioned haha.. keep up the good work and thanks a lot.

Re: RPG Templates - 08/12/05 20:16

how would i make this multiplayer so i can walk around and kill stuff with some other ppl

Re: RPG Templates - 08/13/05 12:13

Hi,

Thanks for the kind words and good ideas

I know there's a lot of things to improve... But I'm simply too busy right now... :S
The school has just started again...

Quote:

oh and this may sound stupid but would you be able to post up the actual source of demo itself?

Go to the download page at Nighthawk Arts (link in my sig.), and find the "RPG_templates.zip"
(Was that what you meant?)

Quote:

how would i make this multiplayer so i can walk around and kill stuff with some other ppl

I don't know multiplayer programming...
Ask in the multiplayer forum...
Posted By: Locoweed

Re: RPG Templates - 08/13/05 17:19

Very nice work Claus_N.

My 2 suggestions would be:
1) Make a simple working level that includes the .wmp file so newbies can see the basic set-up instead of just an .exe in the sample.
2) Add some pathfinding.

Other than that, it is awesome.

Great work,
Loco

Re: RPG Templates - 08/13/05 17:42

Hi Loco

Thx

1) Yeah... I didn't think about that... :S
2) I can't

EDIT: Uploading the sample level again... including wmp files this time
Posted By: MaclarenF1

Re: RPG Templates - 08/13/05 21:56

Very nice! I was jut working on an RPG today...I had the movement down (like yours), but all the sudden it stopped working! It kept saying this at debug:

var move_vec[3]; - unknown key word!

Strange...but maybe this will be the cure to all my problems! Hurray!

Thanks for the great contribution!
MacLaren

Re: RPG Templates - 08/13/05 22:12

Heya Claus_N,

You get the sample .wmp together and I will add the pathfinding to it. How does that sound? Pathfinding will work for player and monsters if they are in the sample and need pathfinding. I will have to change your code slighty to get it working though, if that is ok. Let me know if it's ok to butcher your code and I will get on it.

This is a very good contribution and I will do what I can to help you out.

I have already had many request to make it multiplayer, but until I get my networking fixed, that's not going to happen.

Edit: After looking through your code, I would have to add 2 (move) Modes, MODE_PATH_WALK & MODE_PATH_RUN, plus adding 4 skills, and change the basic_move() function some and 1 line of code in each entity's action that would use Astar. That would basically be it, other than adding the actual astar.wdl, a simple astar dll, and some other minor changes in player_set_walkpoint() and such. Let me know if it is ok to make the changes. Get me an example .wmp though so I can test while adding the code though if you want me to add pathfinding. I don't have time for designing levels and stuff.

It really is an excellent contribution, thanks,
Loco

Re: RPG Templates - 08/14/05 01:26

sounds good Loco.. i can add dirt particles for when the player walks

Re: RPG Templates - 08/14/05 12:55

Quote:

Let me know if it is ok to make the changes.

Yes

It could be very cool if a lot of people began to add things to it, like this... It would be awesome!

Quote:

Get me an example .wmp

I uploaded the "sample demo" with the .wmp included... If that isn't what you need, then I think I need some more explanation

It would just be GREAT with some pathfinding...

Quote:

i can add dirt particles for when the player walks

Yeah, nice idea
Would be great

Re: RPG Templates - 08/15/05 22:56

Well, I have pathfinding for the player working, except for a little problem that I finally figured out, which is I was using skill46 for WAYPOINTS and you didn't have it defined in RPG_defines, but it is used for anim_cycle. That was driving me nuts. I also see that skills 65 and 67 are used and not defined. I will see if I can avoid these undefined skills. If you know me, I really hate undefined skills, they give me grief, but the pathfinding for the player is working now. I just have to see if the actors and npc's need it. It shouldn't be much longer before the pathfinding is added I think. I will send you the link when it's done so you can review it and test it.

Re: RPG Templates - 08/15/05 23:38

Hi Claus_N,

I do have it done. You will have to check actors and NPC's pathfinding on it. I think they should work though. My satellite upload speed is horrible tonight, but when it is uploaded I will PM you the link. You can let me know of any problems you find.

EDIT: It is uploaded and PM sent, any questions or problems PM me please and we will resolve them.

Later,
Loco

Re: RPG Templates - 08/16/05 15:45

Hi Loco,

Thank you

I'll upload the changes as quick as possible, but I'm quite busy at the moment :S (school, homework etc.)

Well, I doesn't use undefined skills that much... Only the skill46, which I always use to animations cycle (just a strange habit lol)... And okay... Seems like it did it once more

Re: RPG Templates - 08/16/05 19:12

Hi again,

I have updated the files now...
The RPG Temp. should now contain the A*

If I did any mistakes - if it isn't working - please tell me :S

@Loco
Again thank you
I'd mentioned you in every script file you modified, and the two scripts by you... And added your name under the creds in the readme filez... (both in the temp. and sample)

Re: RPG Templates - 08/16/05 19:44

Hi,

I think there will be some minor bugs to be fixed, unless Clause_N fixed them before uploading the new source. If there is, if Claus_N needs anything from me he can let me know and we can work them out.

Loco
Posted By: SlyBoots

Re: RPG Templates - 11/25/05 03:55

My apologies for digging up an older topic. I just decided to try out the templates though I'm not sure if I should've mentioned this in a PM or not. If you click multiple times (quite a few clickd while the player is moving) the player will get stuck in place. I'm not sure if this was already answered or not.
Posted By: PrenceOfDarkness

Re: RPG Templates - 11/25/05 07:26

great work guys nothing new here for me but I must say I WISH I WOULD HAVE FOUND THIS ABOUT A YEAR AGO your gonna make life for alot of people alot easier!!! Great contribution
Posted By: Inestical

Re: RPG Templates - 11/25/05 07:29

@SlyBoots: Havn't noticed that.. but I quess it's just easy-not-so-easy-to-fix-bug.. ^^

Re: RPG Templates - 11/26/05 16:38

im getting stuck lots too now =\
Posted By: Kotakide

Re: RPG Templates - 02/14/06 06:45

good...
one step closer to the "NeverWinter Night" game system
Posted By: Nikorasu

Re: RPG Templates - 07/29/06 16:13

Are these templates still being updated?

Re: RPG Templates - 07/29/06 19:13

Nope, I've made a new RPG Template pack. Check my latest thread in this forum
© 2024 lite-C Forums