Is this a commercial standoff contributions forum?

Posted By: robertbruce

Is this a commercial standoff contributions forum? - 03/19/12 13:43

Hello,

Perhaps it's just me but wasn't this once a contibutions forum rather than a who can get to the top of the list bewteen dexsoft, arteria and 3dfoin forum.

I will be posting a few contributions soon but it won't be long before they disappear.

To be fair at least Dexsoft have give things away. Perhaps others others should do the same or maybe we should start a for sale forum instead.

As I said, maybe it's just me.

Rob
Posted By: PadMalcom

Re: Is this a commercial standoff contributions forum? - 03/19/12 15:02

Nice idea to split the forum up, but as long as the posts of Arteria, Dexsoft and 3dfoin are of value I do not care about their stuff.
Posted By: Widi

Re: Is this a commercial standoff contributions forum? - 03/19/12 17:22

I always like the posts from Dexsoft and others here. Buy already a lot. Of corse non comercial resources for free are always welcome too wink
Posted By: darkinferno

Re: Is this a commercial standoff contributions forum? - 03/19/12 18:02

I agree, most threads I see here dont fall under "contribution"
Posted By: WretchedSid

Re: Is this a commercial standoff contributions forum? - 03/19/12 18:13

I disagree, a second forum for only commercial work would draw too much attention away from the work because most people don't want to spend any money. Beside that, who decides whats commercial and what isn't? Simply putting a price tag on things doesn't make them commercial (you could, however, call them 'art')
Posted By: 3run

Re: Is this a commercial standoff contributions forum? - 03/19/12 18:49

I wanted to underline this 'problem' since very long time.. grin It's not just you mate, nowadays free contributions are almost dead. It would be great to split contribution forum!
Posted By: Rei_Ayanami

Re: Is this a commercial standoff contributions forum? - 03/19/12 18:51

To have a dead forum part and an active one?

Nah, I do not think that is needed...

Re: Is this a commercial standoff contributions forum? - 03/19/12 19:04

nah, I dont agree with the second forum, I just dont think items for sale fall under the description of "Contributions of artwork, models, levels" ^^

but okay

No, its not having a dead and active one, I think hes saying that the "free contributions" seem dead because the stuff for sale is updated more often and shoves the free stuff to the back of the forum
Posted By: 3run

Re: Is this a commercial standoff contributions forum? - 03/19/12 19:08

We need separate forum for contributions from websites for sale and so on.
And we need separate forum for contribution made by community members for free.

@dark: yeah, thats what I meant.

Re: Is this a commercial standoff contributions forum? - 03/19/12 20:08

But there are not really /any/ people that do contribute stuff, so this forum would be pretty empty wink

~3dgs is dying lalalala~

Re: Is this a commercial standoff contributions forum? - 03/19/12 20:14

*cough*deadAlready*cough*
Posted By: Superku

Re: Is this a commercial standoff contributions forum? - 03/19/12 20:15

Just because you never post anything open-source/ for free does not mean no one does. wink

Btw. nice signature.

Re: Is this a commercial standoff contributions forum? - 03/19/12 20:23

Of course there are people posting open source stuff, but that are like 5% vs 95% "commercial" stuff wink

And thanks, though it is stolen from some guy at twitter.
Posted By: ratchet

Re: Is this a commercial standoff contributions forum? - 03/19/12 23:33

We would need some free contribution having some rating systems like 1 to 10 stars to make easy people find good stuff !
I agree commercial stuff should have is own thread, because people knwo when they have reached some completition if they need commercial stuff or not to enhance the visuals of the game !

Juts my taste and idea, not a request laugh
Posted By: MrGuest

Re: Is this a commercial standoff contributions forum? - 03/19/12 23:43

Agreed, long dead and buried, we're just old family members who leaves messages for its epitaph.

I probably wouldn't have wrote this if not for Puppeteers post
Originally Posted By: Puppeteers
And if you think about it. Its not too hard to create an Editor like that. It's just work.
And making such an Editor perfectly fitting for your is often essential too and normally you do not know enough about such a framework to easily modify the parts you want to change...
with Firo's reply of
Originally Posted By: Firoball
I don't want to have to code an editor in order to be able to work with Acknex properly. Period.
While some find it fun to create editors for themselves or others to use, ask yourself why you're doing it. If one already existed to do the job, you wouldn't.

When you compare 3DGS to Unity, and look at the forums, shops how they integrate their contrubitions, resources, easy search features on forums, and that's before you even look at how much easier to is to create a game Unity. It's years ahead.

You may say but they have more people, of course they'll be better? Gamestudio was first released in 1994, 9 years before Unity was thought of, they chose to hire people to make it better, it's a company which fixes bugs, provides requested tools and it's not just a hobby project. Everything you ask for in the feature requests is already in Unity.

Unity doesn't 'invent' data-types, it doesn't require you to compile every script when you edit 1 character, it shows you which line it errors on, releases to Web, Mac, iOS.

While the Unity development license is free for iOS and Android (unless you make more than $100,000), just check it out, you'll lose no more than maybe a couple of weeks if you really hate it, but, it has languages you've probably already used, 1,000's of tutorials and a real-time debugger making it all the easier to use. Only thing it's missing is the sarcastic, unhelpful responses when requesting help from its developers. laugh

The only reason I stuck with 3DGS for so long was for the determination to actually release something with it and wish I'd abandoned ship years ago. (As always, just my thoughts)

And to keep it on topic, just get the free stuff here. Isn't that what this was for?

Re: Is this a commercial standoff contributions forum? - 03/20/12 00:03

Originally Posted By: MrGuest
Only thing it's missing is the sarcastic, unhelpful responses when requesting help from its developers. laugh

The only reason I stuck with 3DGS for so long was for the determination to actually release something with it

Agreed
Posted By: sivan

Re: Is this a commercial standoff contributions forum? - 03/20/12 08:03

Someone wrote earlier that: Unity is the Borg, and yeah, it's assimilating you grin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbEi1isW3kQ
don't forget that Unity free does not give you a lot of things, and pro is very expensive, except you get it from torrent grin and there are a lot of other free engines, which needs only royalty when selling a game.
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: Is this a commercial standoff contributions forum? - 03/20/12 16:37

Originally Posted By: sivan
Someone wrote earlier that: Unity is the Borg, and yeah, it's assimilating you grin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbEi1isW3kQ
don't forget that Unity free does not give you a lot of things, and pro is very expensive, except you get it from torrent grin and there are a lot of other free engines, which needs only royalty when selling a game.
Or download SDL (used by Super Meat Boy, Lugaru, Overgrowth, and a lot of other cross-platform games), GNU C++ compilers for different platforms, have a poke at this excellent SDL tutorial, and write your own engine for Windows, Mac and Linux.
Originally Posted By: MrGuest
Agreed, long dead and buried, we're just old family members who leaves messages for its epitaph.

I probably wouldn't have wrote this if not for Puppeteers post
Originally Posted By: Puppeteers
And if you think about it. Its not too hard to create an Editor like that. It's just work.
And making such an Editor perfectly fitting for your is often essential too and normally you do not know enough about such a framework to easily modify the parts you want to change...
with Firo's reply of
Originally Posted By: Firoball
I don't want to have to code an editor in order to be able to work with Acknex properly. Period.
While some find it fun to create editors for themselves or others to use, ask yourself why you're doing it. If one already existed to do the job, you wouldn't.
I agree witih Puppeteer. I don't really like arguing against Firo's point in a thread he hasn't yet participated in, but the thread he did post it in was getting off topic. A generic level editor is not suited to most games. Unless you're making another first-person shooter, chances are you'll be better off with a game-specific custom-made level editor anyway.
© 2024 lite-C Forums