ONLINE multiplayer demo

Posted By: darkinferno

ONLINE multiplayer demo - 07/16/09 15:37

ok, what youre thinking? another noob asking you to create a game for him???

EXACTLY!... lol, if you arent in tha reading mood just jump to the bold text

atually, i know that there ARE multiplayer coders for gs, i never jumped into multiplayer and because of my current projects..

basically what i wanted to see was if anyone could make a simple online shooter which entails

- two players with BASIC movement scripts (walkin alone is fine)
- 1 weapon to each player (simple "on_a=ahoot" weapon is fine)
- crappy level ( a big hollow block)
- ability to host and join an online game (not lan, online)

can anyone set that up? how long would it take? has anyone ever done it?

its rather suprising because i thought i'd see something as simple as that already made.

let me know guys if anyone is interested and yes i could code it sometime down the line but my 3ps shooter is taking alot of time, think of this as me asking for your help...

looking forward to your replies..
Posted By: Germanunkol

Re: ONLINE multiplayer demo - 07/16/09 18:33

Native GS netowrking?
Or using a plugin?
Posted By: ratchet

Re: ONLINE multiplayer demo - 07/16/09 19:30

Not to disappoint you DarkInferno , but it has been already debated in some threads smile
Multiplayer is not the cup of tea of A7, if you really want a reliable,powerfull solution , you should turn to Torque 3D Engine instead.

Or create a new Thread in tools like : best 3D engine for multiplayer ,and you'll have all answers wink
Posted By: Rei_Ayanami

Re: ONLINE multiplayer demo - 07/16/09 19:43

in the Aum 74 - 80 is a multiplayer workshop, just to say

Re: ONLINE multiplayer demo - 07/16/09 20:24

Originally Posted By: Germanunkol
Native GS netowrking?
Or using a plugin?
doesnt matter...

Originally Posted By: ratchet

Multiplayer is not the cup of tea of A7, if you really want a reliable,powerfull solution , you should turn to Torque 3D Engine instead.
your saying that a 2 player online game isnt possible with GS? am pretty sure it can done...

Originally Posted By: Rei_Ayanami
in the Aum 74 - 80 is a multiplayer workshop, just to say

aum 74-80 is for multiplayer LAN, am talkin about online...

please note the description showed a VERY basic game, kinda like the one from the AUMs but online instead of LAN

Re: ONLINE multiplayer demo - 07/16/09 20:28

Is there a big differnce for programming?
ask george if he could make a workshop for it? - i´m also interested in in wink

Re: ONLINE multiplayer demo - 07/16/09 20:29

george is away for a while, i'm very interested in this, i could use it as a frame work for a few projects....

Re: ONLINE multiplayer demo - 07/16/09 20:30

he is away for a while??? he siad only one week?!
Posted By: Quad

Re: ONLINE multiplayer demo - 07/16/09 20:33

it is same for that workshops, you just enter the servers IP instead of 127.0.0.1 or localhost.

(you may need to open dplay ports of the server tho.)

Re: ONLINE multiplayer demo - 07/16/09 21:25

ok.. thanks quadraxes, i'll try it but hey, how would i open the dplay ports? and how to know is IP? i know nothing of multiplayer coding.. atleast, not yet

Re: ONLINE multiplayer demo - 07/17/09 07:02

Ports: only need to when you're sitting behind a router, I believe. go to your router's site (you can usually accesss it by typing 192.168.0.1 in your browser as the URL) and then see what you can find there about opening/forwarding IP adresses. You'll have to see if the example program needs UPD or TCP protocoll.
how to know the IP: http://www.whatismyip.com/ it says it right there, that is still the fastest way of finding your own IP. You usuually only need to open ports if you're the server, so the other PC won#t need to. So it may be easier to get someone without a router to host and then you can join that game.

If you'd like to see this example of code in ANet, I could do it.
To answer your questions from above:
can anyone set that up? how long would it take? has anyone ever done it?
-I believe I can, yes. No promises though.
-between half a day and half a year. Hard to tell. But I'd say, including testing (with you), about 2 days.
-I have, yes. Not with a simple shooter though, we're working on a space action-shooter game which is a little more complex.

So either tell me to do it and I'll try, taking a short break from my game, or you can wait until dark_samurai has finished ANet demos, I think he's working on them. Of course, his demos won't be shooter specific.
If you want to, you can add me on some account (yahoo, ICQ, msn... whatever you have) so it's easier to communicate when we test the thing.

Posted By: Damocles_

Re: ONLINE multiplayer demo - 07/17/09 09:35

I have seen several multiplayer shooter demos here.
(just search trough the multiplayer forum)
Made myself two shooters before, one with native GS multiplayer, and one with GSTNet.

Its still a paint to set up to get it work right.

But I dont see much motivation working on multiplayer shooters.
You put a lot of work into it, and (apart from some beta-tests)
noone is playing it, as there simply is a lack of
people online to play with.

Thats the crux with multiplayer:
its a lot of work and testing, and (unless you make a really
impressive game with a player fanbase) noone will use it.

I would rather work on a non-paralel / sequencial multiplayer game.
-> Meaning, a game that can be played player to player
without the needs that the other player is online at the same time. When the player logs in, he gets previous events, highscores and
actions of other players to compete against.

But it does not work with shooters then obviously.

Re: ONLINE multiplayer demo - 07/17/09 11:15

for ports

you need to dive in to your routers settings and forward ports to your pc.
from what i remember dplay ports were 2302-2400 udp/tcp and 6073udp. but that may not be necessary.
you need to forward these ports to your local ip (possibly something like 192.168.x.x)

for your IP, see whatismyip.org or again in your routers control panel, it should be written somewhere

edit: didnt see the previous 2 posts >.<

Re: ONLINE multiplayer demo - 07/17/09 14:49

wat language was that quadraxas? lol spanish? am lost at multiplayer, lol.. i guess i'll have to learn sooner or later

i like germanunkol's idea but am not fond of requesting that you delay your current project to help me, i know how it is though it would be awesome...

Re: ONLINE multiplayer demo - 07/17/09 16:18

okay now thats...

hows that,you create a basic primitive demo works on lan(or even both server and client in same pc) with the help of aums or workshop 25 then we try to get it work online.

Re: ONLINE multiplayer demo - 07/17/09 18:30

couldnt the multiplayer aum be converted to do such a thing?
Posted By: Rasch

Re: ONLINE multiplayer demo - 07/17/09 19:05

Look for Weil Wild West Mutliplayer Game made wit hA6 Its a shooter with more then 2 players and many different weapons.. ok at least 3 or 4 ^^

If you cant find i can upload it.

Re: ONLINE multiplayer demo - 07/17/09 19:30

Originally Posted By: darkinferno
couldnt the multiplayer aum be converted to do such a thing?

i didnt check it but probably it will work right away the way i explained without any change on code.

Re: ONLINE multiplayer demo - 07/18/09 01:36

Originally Posted By: Rasch
Look for Weil Wild West Mutliplayer Game made wit hA6 Its a shooter with more then 2 players and many different weapons.. ok at least 3 or 4 ^^

If you cant find i can upload it.

thats quite fine, but am not interested in playing with c-script...

i'd love if we could try and get that aum to work online too @quadraxes

Re: ONLINE multiplayer demo - 07/18/09 16:11

Well, I tried it after all. It wasn't too much work, and it got me some more practice at mutliplayer coding which is not bad for my project at all.

First of all, this is not a demo that's supposed to show off anything but a simple muliplayer connection and WED's default WAD :P.

It's nowhere near perfect, but I don't really want to do too much for it any more cause it's kind of a boring game to code. You can host a game, join a game and shoot at the other player. There's basic movement-prediction and interpolation in there (it's kinda fun and relativly easy coding it for a shooter (good news for you) after having coded it for a space simulator. No tilt angles to worry about here, and even if you add them, they won't go above 90° which is SO much easier) which can be improved but work fine so far I think.

I only tested it on LAN, but it should work over the internet and if you want to i'll try it with you.

Re: ONLINE multiplayer demo - 07/18/09 16:18

sure, i'd give it a try... this would help alot, i could have an idea what it would take to port my third person shooter to online, maybe by slowly building untop of this...

Re: ONLINE multiplayer demo - 07/19/09 09:27

Well, the shooter itself in my case can be laughed at, but it is well commented and shows one way of connecting players via ANet.

Do you have any messenger installed, like msn, yahoo or ICQ?
Posted By: VeT

Re: ONLINE multiplayer demo - 07/20/09 13:00

I'm also interested in online multiplayer demo on GS, if i'd be able to help, my icq: 62-151-63

Re: ONLINE multiplayer demo - 07/20/09 13:18

we did get the multiplayer to work, it was only two players, me in the caribbean and germanunkol in germany, used the anet plugin and it ran very smoothly even tough the demo lacked details but it did do the trick... i plan on working on it, maybe setting up a small shooter demo that may be worth playing smile i'm good at gampelay design not the technics laugh
Posted By: VeT

Re: ONLINE multiplayer demo - 07/20/09 13:58

// i'm good at gampelay design not the technics
knock to me in ICQ smile
Posted By: Gumby22don

Re: ONLINE multiplayer demo - 07/28/09 07:38

I'd love to have a look at the code you'll work with darkinferno. I may have more ideas on it as well. Is it possible to leave it in the public domain for everyone at this stage, before you custom tailor it for your projects?

There may be a few people here who could all contribute some standard elements for it that everyone could use.

Don
have a great day

Re: ONLINE multiplayer demo - 07/28/09 09:24

Yes, multiple people have said they'd like to see it.
If I find the time I'll make some changes to it today (I never bothered to work on the disconnection process, but that should really be part of a demo) and post later, no promises though. I'll also try to add a readme file for everyone to know how to set up a working connection.

Re: ONLINE multiplayer demo - 07/28/09 15:20

I updated and uploaded the files and posted in user contributions:

http://www.opserver.de/ubb7/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=281773#Post281773
© 2024 lite-C Forums