Create a game from scratch youtube tutorial series ENGLISH

Posted By: DLively

Create a game from scratch youtube tutorial series ENGLISH - 04/01/15 02:40

Hey guys!

I'm currently putting together a series of tutorials for beginners to learn from and wanted to start sharing it.
Please take a moment to subscribe and support my channel!
Post your channels with your comments here so others can support you too!

Click Here to Learn

Hopefully this gets new people interested in 3dgs and become a part of the community laugh
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Create a game from scratch youtube tutorial series ENGLISH - 04/01/15 15:39

Not bad so far, I'll have to finish watching the posts today.

You can further support your videos and the engine promotion effort with a facebook group page "Game Studio A8 Fans", or such. Not an Q&A like the forum, just promotion and attraction effort.

Re: Create a game from scratch youtube tutorial series ENGLISH - 04/01/15 15:49

Thanks Buddy laugh
I'll look into that facebook page. I didnt think to look on facebook for A8 lol...

Re: Create a game from scratch youtube tutorial series ENGLISH - 04/01/15 16:04

LOL I know I am studying current promotion in products. Using Facebook, Twitter and any of the live stream sites to engage none users and get user talking about the product is very key these days.

There is a lot of internal marketing here. However almost everyone who is reading this post is already a user of the engine.

I true wish they would rip down that gamestdio.com page and build a new one with better( and more honest) marketing. "World's fast" lol. What to sell this engine use words like "Originality, Independence and Freedom(from royalties)." Marketing buzz like suggesting that Gamestudio is the best place to learn programming before attacking the more complex and beginner unfriendly langues of the Unity and Unreal Engines.

Anyway I'm both hijacking the thread that ranting. Sorry.

Love the Video series.
Mal

Re: Create a game from scratch youtube tutorial series ENGLISH - 04/01/15 19:08

I've only been at this for the last 3 days now, so there wont be to much publicity on my tutorial series yet. But yes social media is the best place to start advertising it for sure. Im waiting for some groups to allow me in then I will share my tutorials there too.

I too would like to see a new gamestudio website with all the actual thruthful features and facts about it.

Its all relevant.

Cheers Malice!
Posted By: 3run

Re: Create a game from scratch youtube tutorial series ENGLISH - 04/01/15 19:22

DLively@ great to see someone making video tutorials that Acknex does really miss! Keep it up! But I have to say, that I don't really like the way you are writing your code.. It looks oldschool c-script way, which isn't the best way to handle everything with lite-c.

Example of what I mean:
Code:
if(key_w){
   // then move player forward
}
if(key_s){
   // then move player backward
}

Please, don't teach to write code this way, do it like (key_w - key_s), so it will be more clear and elegant. If you want to, I'll be happy to lend a hand of help you there with coding part! So we could create something like those unity tutorials.

My best wishes and keep it up please!

Re: Create a game from scratch youtube tutorial series ENGLISH - 04/01/15 23:18

Sorry, but the way your suggesting to write my code, will not work at all with the way I have it set up. If you watched the tutorials, I set it up that way at first, then changed it to suit the project.

Left you a Pm.

Re: Create a game from scratch youtube tutorial series ENGLISH - 04/02/15 01:55

Many more videos added today laugh
Posted By: sivan

Re: Create a game from scratch youtube tutorial series ENGLISH - 04/02/15 06:01

nice job! you could make some MapBuilder tutorials too grin I'm too lazy to do, and the worst part is uploading....

however you could boost somehow the volume, and please avoid to call a boolean-like var variable as OPEN_OR_CLOSED, much better to write isclosed that exactly describes what means state 0 and 1
Posted By: Reconnoiter

Re: Create a game from scratch youtube tutorial series ENGLISH - 04/02/15 12:06

Good idea. There a few things that I want to add:

- video volume could be a bit louder tongue
- I personally think it is a bad idea to use WED to promote GS3d. WED is outdated & clumsy, and while some diehards here may still use it, I doubt new users will like WED. Better is to either skip map editors as a whole (place ents through script) for now or use e.g. Sivan's editor. Though on the hand I understand its easy to create good looking lightning with blocks and blocks allow bsp building.
- I am not entirely sure about this one, but it looks like the way you create actions results in an alot of duplicated code when different more types of entities (more enemies etc.). Its fine for now, I would suggest to eventually add a tutorial where you make functions that can be used by different types of entities (gravity(), movement(), jump(), scan_for_enemy(), etc.).

keep it up

Re: Create a game from scratch youtube tutorial series ENGLISH - 04/02/15 16:00

@DLively - Keep Up the effort. Consider advice and ignore unhelpful criticism. Reach out to the people here in pm's if you want someone to correct any possible errors. (Malice >> NOT IT).

@ALL-OTHERS I'm sure he would read a video-script if you wrote one and pm'd it to him. OR maybe post your videos on the channel.

Re: Create a game from scratch youtube tutorial series ENGLISH - 04/02/15 16:55

Oh and forget to add; good job on the already done videos.

Re: Create a game from scratch youtube tutorial series ENGLISH - 04/02/15 17:10

@Reconnoiter: Im using WED as a base so people can understand things slowly instead of pushing them right into it. Im not there yet, but i will cover creating a level purly through script. I dont use blocks. EDIT: Except that one tutorial because I was to lazy to create and save a cube as MDL -- and it wasnt relevant to the tutorial -- and I told the viewers NEVER to use blocks too.)

Also the Volume Sounds great on my end.. But thanks for the info. I'll turn it up laugh

Thanks guys laugh
I Also appreciate the crits. Ill take em and leave em wink

EDIT: Thanks Sivan! I'll consider doing that in the future when I am looking for a project laugh

@Malice: LoL grin
Posted By: sitrep

Re: Create a game from scratch youtube tutorial series ENGLISH - 04/02/15 17:32

Hey DLively,

nice tutorial so far! cool

It seems that few videos exist for A8...not sure why...when this is cool engine

Can you cover enemy AI? cool And levels loading and saving?

And creating models in Med ?

Do you take PayPal donations ? :-)

Re: Create a game from scratch youtube tutorial series ENGLISH - 04/02/15 20:21

@sitrep: Thanks! I agree. there just aren't enough videos. So I shall fill the quota.
Yes, I will be implementing all your requested features as time goes on laugh I'll likely get to level loading and modeling in MED soon, but AI is a bit further away on my list right now since I'm working on the basics still laugh

I work steady for about 3-4 days straight a week, and then spend time with my two children for most of the rest.

Yes I do accept and appreciate paypal donations of any amount greater than 0 grin

Thanks for taking an interest sitrep!

Re: Create a game from scratch youtube tutorial series ENGLISH - 04/03/15 09:03

Quote:
I dont use blocks. EDIT: Except that one tutorial because I was to lazy to create and save a cube as MDL -- and it wasnt relevant to the tutorial -- and I told the viewers NEVER to use blocks too.)
, oh my bad, I thought since you used wed you would use blocks too.
In that case I can only recommend you to use an other editor since it would give no real disadvantages than laugh.

cheers
Posted By: sivan

Re: Create a game from scratch youtube tutorial series ENGLISH - 04/03/15 09:26

I have some further thoughts:

I have watched a lot of UE4 video tutorials recently, I found it practical to spend shorter time with typing, if you have a pre-made project, you can copy-paste lines, then you have more time to explain what it does, and users can stop the video to type it. Moreover, you can save and publish the project after each video, to help lazy users laugh

If you plan to make a little outdoor game, level design is easy with MapBuilder (within or out of the editor code), lighting and shadows are automatically set for each engine edition, but action assignment to entities is currently not supported. I planned to make a player editor, but it would be a large task (I wanted to integrate the navmesh pathfinder of WJBender to easily create enemy AI). And I have never really needed it for my RTS game...

Re: Create a game from scratch youtube tutorial series ENGLISH - 04/03/15 12:07

sry for going a bit offtopic here DLively;

Quote:
but action assignment to entities is currently not supported
, easy but not perfect solution; use a skill for giving entities an ID number / action number that people can use in their script to give the enitity a new function. It's not the nicest solution but it does give the advantage of having parameters for entity 'actions'. And having an ID skill is always helpfull so the skill does not go to waste laugh.

example:

Code:
#define ID	skill20

function action_player()
{
}

action entity_initaction() //entities placed in editor get this action
{
  //set new action
  if (my.ID == 1) action_player();

//remove old one
  return;
}

Re: Create a game from scratch youtube tutorial series ENGLISH - 04/03/15 13:19

I'll eventually touch on the more complex issues of game development such as editors and the like.
If you recall to when you knew nothing of this program -- anything but what the program 'did' in front of you was confusing until the basics were understood.. then WED became unnecessary...

I'm not worried about things being perfect. wink People who do this tutorial from scratch only spend 5+ hours learning and then have enough to start making a whole fps - If they study it a few times they should have no problem understanding what I'm doing. I usually try to explain what i'm doing as I do it, even as I type. If people need to stop the video and type while I'm typing so be it. I dont mind following tutorials like that and im a fussy guy. grin

I don't plan on providing the source code until the tutorial is complete. people who donate 5.00 or more during or after the tutorial will receive the full version of the tutorial complete in its entirety, sent to the email I receive the donation from laugh

As much as I'd like to just give away ALL my knowledge and resources for free, I can't.
This is, in a sense a simplified version of my worked up versions, and customs that I no longer use because I've improved upon them, and dont want them to just collect dust - So I might as well do something productive with them laugh (The player movement and camera are pretty updated, they just lack a few extra things I didnt add in)

Re: Create a game from scratch youtube tutorial series ENGLISH - 04/03/15 14:23

@DLively, true. Though the only reason I mentioned using something else than WED was so you get more people interested in your work (so to help you, I personally have no gain in this).
WED nowadays is not the most inviting tool to newcomers. I know it would scare me off grin.

Re: Create a game from scratch youtube tutorial series ENGLISH - 04/03/15 15:19

@reconnoiter: I know your trying to help laugh
People who know nothing of game design wouldnt know any better.
and if they really want to learn how to make a game, after seeing the most current tutorial theyll tough through it wink we all did.

Re: Create a game from scratch youtube tutorial series ENGLISH - 04/03/15 19:23

Hey Lively

trying 2 send u Paypal grin

the link is off?

Re: Create a game from scratch youtube tutorial series ENGLISH - 04/04/15 00:29

Hi Sitrep. My apologies - The link can be found on my website laugh Click Here To Change Websites laugh

Re: Create a game from scratch youtube tutorial series ENGLISH - 04/05/15 05:39

Hey Lively,

Roger that.

That link worked. Looking forward to more tutorials!

Thanks!

Re: Create a game from scratch youtube tutorial series ENGLISH - 04/05/15 14:06

@sitrep Thank you kindly laugh PM Sent!
More tutorials have been added this morning!
Posted By: Realspawn

Re: Create a game from scratch youtube tutorial series ENGLISH - 04/14/15 02:51

Pointless to say i like it wink but i do laugh keep it up

Re: Create a game from scratch youtube tutorial series ENGLISH - 05/01/15 14:03

lol laugh Thanks Realspawn grin

I'm a little tied up with everything I have to get done but I will get back to these soon! laugh
© 2024 lite-C Forums