PhysX character controller?

Posted By: Kartoffel

PhysX character controller? - 01/20/17 12:34

Has anyone here managed to create a first person character controller using physx?

I've been using c_move/c_trace for a while now but wasn't able to get a solid movement code, yet.
Mostly because of the weird ellipsoid collision-behaviour that comes with c_move and c_trace.
So I tried physx which should offer a collision system that is much more stable and versatile.
(and supports capsule collisions... finally)

Well, turns out that the character movment in this physx implementation is pretty wanky aswell.
Sliding along walls and wall-collisions don't always work as they should. Corners or slopes are even worse.

Soo.. have you got any tips that could help me?
Posted By: 3run

Re: PhysX character controller? - 01/20/17 13:02

Believe me... I've struggled a lot from pXent plugin as well as from OBB ellipsoid hull. None of them is suitable to get fully working, solid movement out of the box. CCT has a lot of problems (even capsule shape) and limitations (unregistered and registering it back each time when you crawl/change position directly, also the lower half sphere shape of the capsule get's stuck while jumping and walking towards the low walls, box shape just get's simply stuck on every edge). OBB uses that ellipsoid thing, which requires some workarounds to get more or less good results. There is only one way out of this, making your own physX plugin, and not with 2.x SDK as the one that Acknex uses right now, but newer one, 3.x SKD! 3dgs_snake made a plugin, it had some bugs so he decided to make a new one from scratch with all things he has learnt from previous experience, but unfortunately it's development was held.

I could help you out with making movement code for your needs (as I have a lot of experience with it), but I would like to ask you for some shader help as well tongue Let's call it barter!

Best regards!
Posted By: sivan

Re: PhysX character controller? - 01/22/17 15:55

yeah physx is limited in 3dgs, so I used OBB. it was also buggy, but with some c-traces done before movement, I had a good enough result, what you can find it in MapBuilder (used for testing the map with that soldier character). it is not a complex one, e.g. no doors, no climbing, but works, and imo can be easily extended, in my RTS I used something similar for the unit-unit push-bounce collision handling.
© 2024 lite-C Forums