Moving from Framework to actual Game

Posted By: jumpman

Moving from Framework to actual Game - 02/06/18 16:21

Hello, Im building a framework for my future games. Right now its very generalized, just accounting for basic things and making sure they are easy to use as a groundwork for different styles and kinds of games. Shadowing, simple menus, resizing window features, recreating post processing chains, etc etc.

Though once I start making my game, by putting in artwork and programming AI and camera, then the framework will end up becoming the game itself. At this point, even with all your planning, you will find errors in the original framework and will need to adjust it.

So if youre building a game from a copy of your framework, when you find something like an error or oversight during the games development, do you go back and fix the error/oversight in your master framework as well as the current game in development? Sorry if the question sounds obvious, but just curious.
Posted By: Ezzett

Re: Moving from Framework to actual Game - 02/06/18 19:04

In my opinion building frameworks for future games is like procrastinating the development of a real game. The framework already exists, it's called Acknex Engine (or whatever you're using). Development of a framework is just the avoidance of implementing finished game mechanics.

I recommend to use the framework you already developed to make and finish your game right now because this seems to have more value to you than developing a framework.
© 2024 lite-C Forums