your thougths on consumables?

Posted By: Reconnoiter

your thougths on consumables? - 12/24/16 13:53

Hey,

What are your thoughts on consumables in a 3rd person rpg game (nowadays era)? It has semi-open maps and skills+attributes etc (not a dungeon crawler nor an rogue game).
I am really pondering if I should add them or not, and if so in what form. So far I am leaning to adding them but only scarcely for health and maybe some special stuff like drugs/medicines.
Any thoughts or ideas on this would be welcome!
Posted By: painkiller

Re: your thougths on consumables? - 12/27/16 17:12

I would add simple consumables, for example food that recovers part of your health or stamina

Re: your thougths on consumables? - 12/28/16 10:34

Tnx for sharing your thoughts. laugh
Posted By: sivan

Re: your thougths on consumables? - 12/29/16 07:42

I would add heavy drugs to have a reason to use strange post process shaders grin
Posted By: old_bill

Re: your thougths on consumables? - 12/29/16 11:18

Gothic II was an great example on how to deal with consumables and their side-effects. Trying different things has been fun to do, so definitely a yes grin

Re: your thougths on consumables? - 12/29/16 12:38

Originally Posted By: sivan
I would add heavy drugs to have a reason to use strange post process shaders grin
, haha, you mean this shader grin ?:

Screw it, I think I am going to add it grin

Quote:
Gothic II was an great example on how to deal with consumables and their side-effects. Trying different things has been fun to do, so definitely a yes grin
, that would be pretty fun indeed laugh
Posted By: sivan

Re: your thougths on consumables? - 12/30/16 17:25

perfect pp grin
Posted By: KingHeroov333

Re: your thougths on consumables? - 12/30/16 19:05

When I saw the title ("consumables") ... I thought this thread was on Zorro grin
Posted By: Dooley

Re: your thougths on consumables? - 06/12/17 06:49

Health, mana (in a fantasy game) and that's about it for me. I tend to avoid using things with temporary effects. I love the idea of upgrading skills or equipment (permanently) even in little tiny increments.

Re: your thougths on consumables? - 06/13/17 21:09

Originally Posted By: Dooley
Health, mana (in a fantasy game) and that's about it for me. I tend to avoid using things with temporary effects. I love the idea of upgrading skills or equipment (permanently) even in little tiny increments.
, thanks for your opinion, it helps laugh
Posted By: jumpman

Re: your thougths on consumables? - 06/14/17 14:19

I like the idea of consumables, just as long as you dont have to wrangle through menus to use the item. Many games make you pause the game, navigate to the restore item, use the item, then unpause the game. This always felt wrong to me. A quick button for healing/using a potion/using an elixer for some effect, but also one that hampers your movement or action, that would be pretty cool.

In general, for 3rd person action games, Id rather not be in the menus. The Last of Us on the playstation, let you look into your backpack for your items and consumables, but the world didnt pause. Using your first aid kit played an animation while the world and its enemies were still moving around.

Consumables that do things like permanently increase your strength by 1, dont really need to be handled in combat with a quick button, so you should be safe to make the player use these items within the menus.

Re: your thougths on consumables? - 06/16/17 09:43

Originally Posted By: jumpman
I like the idea of consumables, just as long as you dont have to wrangle through menus to use the item. Many games make you pause the game, navigate to the restore item, use the item, then unpause the game. This always felt wrong to me. A quick button for healing/using a potion/using an elixer for some effect, but also one that hampers your movement or action, that would be pretty cool.
, yeah agreed, that is why added a hotkeybar where you can link items etc to so you can press a key/number to use an item or activate an ability.
Posted By: DriftWood

Re: your thougths on consumables? - 07/06/17 04:22

Health consumables can be very troublesome. In some RPG's you're not only trying to finger dance during combat to move, strike and switch weapons. You also have to try and trigger all those power-up and health potions.

I don't like button mashing the health potions more than the attack buttons. I hate the death by wrong button thing, you know when you miss the health hot-key and instead hit the one consumable that is totally pointless in your current fight. Then you smash the controller and blame it for the brain-finger misfire that was the real cause. mad

But much like has been pointed out it's not consumables that are issues. It's how the design integrates them. Overall I vote Hell-Yes on consumables.

Re: your thougths on consumables? - 07/06/17 09:36

Haha yeah using the wrong potion than being confused that nothing happens. grin
What helps for me is to the put the vital stuff at the edge (1/2 or 9/0) or specific easy to reach keys like q or f. On a controller you have less controls ofcourse which makes it a bit more difficult (atleast that is my experience).
© 2024 lite-C Forums