Game design - Best advice Superku ever gave me

Posted By: Anonymous

Game design - Best advice Superku ever gave me - 09/04/15 04:17

While Superku and I do not agree on all things game design. Him being a green light game developer and me having never finished half a project. I would like to highlight the advice that he has given that has made the most impact on me.

1) Focus on mechanics
2) do not use shop sold assets - they never fit your art scheme and are hard the integrate
3) create a art style that is both simple and that you ( the game dev) can produce yourself - You do not know if you will gain or hold a art partnership and your project can be sunk if the artist leaves the team.
4) do not do a multiplayer projects - as first or second - or anytime you are not extremely experienced with multiplayer design and coding - in my case NEVER
5) be fluid and open to change, if something just doesn't work , drop it and focus on what does. Also be not tied down, if new ideas spark that fit - put them in.
6) Stay on one project and just keep going

Thanks Superku
Posted By: Ch40zzC0d3r

Re: Game design - Best advice Superku ever gave me - 09/04/15 09:12

lmao, even EA and Rockstar isn't experienced in multiplayer yet, still they produced tons of games with multiplayer features grin
Godmode in a multiplayer game (unlimited HP), teleport and more shit is the thing which follows.
Some day I hope to visit those companies and tell them that they have no fucking clue what they do..
Posted By: FBL

Re: Game design - Best advice Superku ever gave me - 09/04/15 20:57

Hm I'm doing some multiplayer stuff right now grin
But it's not really secure (C#).
Good enough for working out some authoritative server with reconciliation and lag compensation, and clients with prediction and interpolation.
Posted By: Superku

Re: Game design - Best advice Superku ever gave me - 09/04/15 22:07

Well I'm not a know-it-all but I think I'd (still) agree with all those points, and I think they are spot on as bullet points when I remember my old message(s) correctly.
I'm glad if my shabby advice can or could be of any help!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Game design - Best advice Superku ever gave me - 09/04/15 23:05

@Ch40zzC0d3r and @Firoball The advice about multiplayer was for me personally and after talks about my actual skill levels.

@All everything after the dash "-" is my elaboration on the Bullet-point of Superku's advice and should not be taken as a direct quote, more a mixture of the advice and my conclusions.

@Superku, yes I only meant to attribute the bullet points to you.
We do still disagree and design doc's and laying out full details. I would assume this is because you haven't worked as the unpaid-programmer at the whim of a designer or worked with a designer that is a 100% art person with little to no coding. the stories I could tell you about how if the designer would just fully express what he wanted in a doc, and how it would have saved me 20+ rewrites of every action, function or part of a function.... IT's maddening. The artist had me rewriting for days to make a bullet casing fall out of the gun in the proper way. Starting with no physics and ending in physics looking to non-cinematic. Designers that wish a player to act as if in a movie but write 3 lines of a doc... Maddening!
I understand your views from a solo developer, I hope you can see mine as a long time hired-gun(not implying pay lol).

Your Great Bro,
I might talk mostly on a path for newbies to learn, but once they do this is the advice they should focus on for a first game.

© 2024 lite-C Forums