Blobsculptor Cavetutoria2, a larger cave + cavedemo2 minishooter

Posted By: NeoDumont

Blobsculptor Cavetutoria2, a larger cave + cavedemo2 minishooter - 01/01/18 00:14

OK, Cave tutorial and demo part 2. Hamburg, 31.12 2017

Happy new year at first !

I tried to create a cave with Blob Sculptor again, but more complex and larger, as you can see in the screenshots from MED.

I used Blob Sculptor in DOSBOX again (Frontend: DEFEND RELOADED) and set the detail value of Blob Sculptor to 50, and the Blob threshold value to 0.1 for best polygon results. If you use the cone tool be sure to set the start and end spheres to nearly the same size as the other spheres are.
Otherwise the cone can prevent the creating of polygons, when the cone "bone" is too small especially.

When you have created your cave, save it as a .dxf file, then convert it to .3ds format and import it in MED. I selected a third of the cave and set the rest of the cave to invisible. Again I selected one half of the third and skinned it via atlas UV mapping to a skin size of 2048x2048 (Have a look at the screenshot). This way I mapped six parts of the cave to each 2048x2048 skin size. Yes, this is very large a skinning, but MED end also WED had no problems in handling the 130 MB cave.
When you have done the mapping and skinning don't forget to select the whole cave and flip the normals. Save the cave now and import it in WED then.
In WED I put a hollowed cube around the cave, to avoid lighing problems. Set the polygon flag of the cave, otherwise you will fall through the cave, when you put your player inside the cave.

I used some small dummy mdls with Lighting Actions attached (you can see the actions in the main script) to illuminate the cave nicely.
Normal lights from WED cannot do the lighting of this large MDL cave. But you can use them to light block entities or sprites you put in a cave like this one.
OK, ready is your cave. Please note: I used the texture video ram very wastefully. Although it worked fine, you may do it more economically and better than me.

I put some hostile creatures in the cave, you are in a small shooter indeed, hope you like to explore the cave and destroy the evil green slime insect breeders.

The cave does not use any shader, normal or bump mapping, just plain textures. This Cavedemo 2 is a noncommercial free tutorial demo for Gamestudio from OPGroup. You may freely copy the demo as long as it kept as it is. You have no permission to change anything of the Cavedemo 2, because copyright
belongs to J.Hunke aka NeoDumont.

The demo was created with Gstudio 7 Extra, Blob Sculptor for DOS, Gimp, Audiacity and PCXanim.

Req. Minimum: WinXP 1 GB RAM, 512 MB VRAM, ATHLON XP or P4 1.5 GHZ or similar. Laptop Systems may not work because of extensive texture VRAM Usage.

Enjoy the demo and "god bless my friend" :-)

NeoDumont

--------------------------------------------------------------

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

--------------------------------------------------------

Download the Cavedemo2 minishooter from here:

FEB 2020: The Demo has been removed by me until a better one will be uploaded.
NEODUMONT

Posted By: NeoDumont

Re: Blobsculptor Cavetutoria2, a larger cave + cavedemo2 minishooter - 01/01/18 15:35

Just to let you know: I just tested the cavedemo2 on a 1.7 GHZ Pentium M with 1 GB
RAM and a 128 MB Radeon Mobility and it worked fine. Good engine !

Greets, NeoDumont
© 2024 lite-C Forums