sword

Posted By: draculaFactory

sword - 06/13/05 15:37

Hey check out this sword model that I made in MED. My first really good model that I have made and skinned myself. It has 8 different skins, some with runes on the blade. I also added a fire halo effect, and it leaves trails when you attack.

Posted By: tuschcarsten

Re: sword - 06/13/05 15:42

Looks cool, also the effects!^_^
Posted By: JediBry

Re: sword - 06/13/05 15:46

Woah! Nice affects! and nice sword also, A little hard to see it though small pic.

Re: sword - 06/13/05 19:27

Here's a bigger pic, with just the sword in all of its skins + the particles. Ya big baby! LOL

Re: sword - 06/13/05 19:35

Will you tell us the Code of the effects?

Mabe we'll lern something out of it...
Posted By: Blattsalat

Re: sword - 06/13/05 19:39

you can do this with attach function and a particle stream (see manual attaching light to a model) but this is a very fps eating method.

the best way is a afterglow shader...fast and easy to manipulate, though you need the shader first

nice swords
cheers

Re: sword - 06/13/05 20:30

i used the attach function to attach the sword to the dwarf. but the particles were done with this code:

//junk n stuff
define hilt,skill1;
define tip,skill2;

var chop_off;
var end_vec[3];
var start_vec[3];
var part_angle[3];
var line_length;

//fades the particle
function fire_update()
{
my.alpha -= 3 * time;
if (my.alpha<=0) {my.lifespan=0;return;}
}

//the controls the actual particle
function fire_burn()
{
my.x += random(3) + -2;
my.y += random(3) + -2;
my.z += random(3) + -1;
my.size = 8;
my.vel_x = (random(0.4) - 0.2) * 3;
my.vel_y = (random(0.4) - 0.2) * 3;
my.vel_z = (random(0.4) - 0.2) * 3;
my.move = on;
my.bmap = fire_part;
my.flare = on;
my.bright = on;
my.alpha = random(10)+5;
my.function = fire_update;
}

//the code that creates the halo
function fire_halo(strength)
{
weapon.bright = on;
weapon.ambient = 100;
weapon.albedo = 100;
vec_for_vertex(end_vec,weapon,weapon.hilt);
vec_for_vertex(start_vec,weapon,weapon.tip);
line_length = vec_dist(end_vec.x,start_vec.x);
vec_diff(part_angle,end_vec.x,start_vec.x);
chop_off = line_length/2;
vec_normalize(part_angle,2);
while(chop_off > 0)
{
effect(fire_burn,strength,start_vec,start_vec);
weapon.lightred = 200;
weapon.lightgreen = 128;
weapon.lightblue = 0;
weapon.lightrange = 100;
vec_add(start_vec.x,part_angle.x);
chop_off -=1;
wait(1);
}
}

//uses hilt,tip
action weapon_av
{
my.tip = 16;
my.hilt = 211;
weapon = me;
while(1)
{
fire_halo(1);
wait(1);
}
}

Ok the weapon_av action is the action I use on the sword. The "my.tip" skill is the vertex of the tip of the sword and the "my.hilt" is the base vertex of the blade. Set it custom to your model. In "fire_halo(1)" the "1" is the strength of the particles, or how many are created every tick or whatever, set it to 100 and blow up your computer!

The trails is just a special action that I made that when the player attacks a transparent model is created every tick (or whatever) and it waits like 4 ticks (or whatever) and remove itself. BTW I've never had any trouble with fps.

I really was planning on sharing this with everyone because of you Star Wars gurus out there. It can be modified to create a cool lightsaber effect.

Re: sword - 06/13/05 20:31

Yea the swords are sweet.
Posted By: ArchitectTempest

Re: sword - 06/13/05 23:03

Very nice. Excellent effects. I love it, an I was looking for that exact effect for my weapons in the game I creating. Very nice indeed.

Does this include the way you were able to make those awesome trails after the blade (the mouse-on-screen effect; with duplications of the sword trailing after to blade) in the first screenshot.

Re: sword - 06/13/05 23:44

No it doesn't, the trails were a seperate thing, an experiment. In the game you won't get the flames and the trails together; the flames are for detecting enemies and secrets and the trails are for a super-sharp edge. There is a dwarf in my game, I got that model from Psonic's site and it is going to have alot of item customization such as forging your own weapon and using magic and different metals and runes to create prefixes and suffixes like diablo.

//the material for the trail
material mat_blue
{
diffuse_red = 0;
diffuse_green = 0;
diffuse_blue = 255;
specular_red = 0;
specular_green = 0;
specular_blue = 255;
power = 10;
}

//the action assigned to the trail model
action weapon_trail
{
my.material = mat_blue;
my.passable = on;
my.transparent = on;
my.alpha = 50;
my.bright = on;
my.flare = on;
my.skin = weapon.skin;
while(1)
{
vec_set(my.x,weapon.x);
my.pan = weapon.pan;
my.tilt = weapon.tilt;
my.roll = weapon.roll;
wait(4);
ent_remove(me);
return;
}
}

//my attack animation controller
if(my.state == _attack)
{
my.anim_per = 0;
while(my.anim_per < 100)
{
ent_create("sword1.mdl",my.x,weapon_trail);
my.anim_per += 10 * time;
ent_animate(me,"attack_aaa",my.anim_per,anm_add);
wait(1);
}
my.state = _idle;
}

Ok, this is a section from my animate_me() function that I use to animate the player and enemies using states that are defined before the function(that is; define _idle,0; define _attack,1;). Basically this part increases my.anim_per by 10, thus animating the model AND ent_creating my sword1.mdl and assigning weapon_trail to it. The weapon_trail waits for a new york minute then removes itself. The material is what makes it pretty. Look very closely before including it in your game, it may clash with your animation sceme thingy. Just place the ent_create in some sort of while loop WHILE your player is attacking. Also, there is the WEAPON entity pointer, in my game the weapon is a seperate model attached to the player via vertex attachment and the WEAPON entity pointer is assigned to the weapon model so that it may be referred to, change it to your weapon entity pointer.
Posted By: Frozen

Re: sword - 06/14/05 03:18

wow thats a nice sword model, i love the effects...!!!
Posted By: ShoreVietam

Re: sword - 06/14/05 12:39

Jap, pretty cool!

Re: sword - 06/14/05 15:29

I see now.Thanks for the code. Excellent.

Re: sword - 06/15/05 09:39

Yea the trails are simple if you think about it. You should make your own material though, mine is a WIP.

Re: sword - 06/15/05 20:11

Just a question. Since the sword, I've made a matching dagger and a spear and staff. When I make all the weapons that I can think of I'll release it to the public. Would any of you guys have interest in this? BTW to anyone who used the code: how's it going? Any problems?

Re: sword - 06/16/05 04:44

Now you can throw every weapon! The hosting is befuddercated, right-click and click save as...
Beer Here.

Re: sword - 06/16/05 05:23

What is WIP? Work in Progress, I have heard? I was actually just looking for a base to run off of (I'll probably have an entirely new code piece when complete) Working on some similar designs right now. So...Thanks for the "Diving board into the land of weapon special effects" he he...

Re: sword - 06/16/05 11:26

Yea work in progress. I go ALOT of weapon special effects to share.
Posted By: Andreas C

Re: sword - 06/16/05 13:01

Quote:

Yea work in progress. I go ALOT of weapon special effects to share.

Slizzer,

sounds good ... thanks for being willing to share it with us !

Like your sword (incl. code) and looking forward to anything you can throw our way !

Cheers,
Andreas
Posted By: Marin

Re: sword - 06/16/05 13:06

hey,the sword are nice,;)good job.

Re: sword - 06/16/05 14:58

I fully implemented the weapon throwing code (you can throw anything), it had some bugs. I added four quick-weapon slots to my inventory so now you can throw your equipped weapon and quickly switch to another. All weapons have matching skins and can use that fire effect depending on their prefix/suffix (bane suffix uses blue, bale uses red, flame uses the fire, and radiant doesn't use the particles - just a light halo).
Posted By: FeiHongJr

Re: sword - 06/17/05 13:41

Very nice, I really like the effects you have on it keep up the good work.

Re: sword - 06/17/05 13:57

Got alot more stuff now, I'll use it in the game but it is also mainly going into a model pack.

Re: sword - 06/18/05 05:05

Cool sword, cool skins and cool effects!

Re: sword - 06/18/05 17:21

Sword? HAMMER!!!

Posted By: RJDL

Re: sword - 06/19/05 12:22

WOW

Re: sword - 06/19/05 13:31

RJD, this will be available in a model pack as soon as I am finished, with code examples for the effects for you guys to use. BTW, a MACE for you to poop on! Also, you guys may have noticed that there has beena change in the weapon trails, the material for the trails now uses a shader.

Re: sword - 06/19/05 14:25

that's very nice of you, but i'm afraid my VGA card can't handle shaders...
anyway i like the models and particle effects!

thanks

RJD

Re: sword - 06/19/05 15:13

I don't believe mine can either. Only two have EVER worked, and this is one of them. It's very simple. BTW: Finished skinning a spear!

Re: sword - 06/19/05 15:51

you mean I can display SOME shaders?
interesting....
thnx

RJD

Re: sword - 06/19/05 16:31

Maybe you can. This code was posted by Matt_Aufderheide in this post right here.

Code:

material burneffect
{
effect="
technique burn
{
pass p0
{
AlphaBlendEnable = true;
srcblend = destcolor;
destblend = invsrcalpha;
}
}";
}

I don't know if you know about materials, but this is a material and what you need to do is make an action like this.

Code:

action material_test
{
my.material = burneffect;
}

Assign that to a model and compile and go. It will probably look alot different from mine, my guess is that my action for my weapon trails looks like this:

Code:

function weapon_trail()
{
my.material = burneffect;
my.passable = on;
my.transparent = on;
my.alpha = 50;
my.ambient = 100;
my.bright = on;
my.flare = on;

my.skin = weapon.skin;
vec_set(my.x,weapon.x);
my.pan = weapon.pan;
my.tilt = weapon.tilt;
my.roll = weapon.roll;
wait(4);
ent_remove(me);
return;
}

Notice the parts in red. My guess is that it affects the shader, probably not. How the shader appears probably depends on the actual skin of the model. I think this because of the reason stated in my last post at the bottom of the link that I provided for shader's post. BTW: Here's the new spear!

Not so much of me being nice; I just really don't care if you guys use them! A couple of days ago I didn't think that I could skin them, but when I actually tried, I found out that it was pretty easy - even though I'm just using MED. There is also a lack of Fantasy/RPG content that is worth anything. Most people absolutely go nuts over FPS. Sure, lots of voilence in my game, but there are ways around voilence in my game; you can just scare away enemies, and what makes you think that a giant beast wants you anyway? Yea sharks like to bite things, they do it to test if something is food, but they don't like to EAT people because we are boney, they prefer the blubber of seals. Similarly, goblins might want to hide from you because you have that big spear.

Edit: Sorry about the edit, I need advice from anyone who actually views this thread. Shall I A). Make the different player attacks depend on like a charge bar, hold down the attack button and the charge moves up and when it is released, the attack depends on how charged you are. OR B). Make him attack with different animations randomly? Can't make up my mind.

Re: sword - 06/20/05 05:53

Hi, thanks for your huge answer,
I don't know much about material, could you post an image with and without materials, so i get an idea what it's about?
thanks
o, and about your question: i would go for anser B, it's no fun not being possible to attack well, because you have to charge
good luck and thanx

RJD

Re: sword - 06/20/05 07:45

Materials are easy, the weapon trails in the pic on the very first post use materials, the one of the mace uses the shader. Materials are easy just make some code like this:

material my_test_material
{
emissive_red = 255;
diffuse_red = 100;
//whatever
}

Check the manual on this, it covers it well. Look at the sample materials listed under the example. To assign a material to an object, just add this to the object's ACTION: my.material = your_material_name_here;

B). Was pretty much what I was leaning towards, but with charging you would be able to attack WITHOUT charging, but if you charge you can use a stronger attack. Like ZELDA. Actually what I had was a damage bonus based on the charge, and if you charge up all the way there was a chance that you would leave your weapon stuck in the enemy until it dies.
Posted By: Andreas C

Re: sword - 06/20/05 07:46

Slizzer,
I actually like the idea a.), varying the attack based on the amount of ... hmmm "determination", "force", "charge" (whatever one calls it). It does make it more difficult, but then combat is difficult - and hitting something with more force is more difficult then jabbing it.

Cheers,
Andreas

Re: sword - 06/20/05 08:46

Cheers? Oh, nevermind. LOL. I thought it was a good idea. I had all sorts of effects like the weapon throwing, and hitting so hard that the weapon stays in the enemy and continues to damage it. Weapon integrity code: abuse your weapon like that and it will break. Hey look at the new spear skin!

Re: sword - 06/20/05 19:15

wow, looks very good!
how did you make the top look so much like real reflecting metal? is it just simple skinning?
i think i will go learn a bit more about materials, i guess they can turn out to be really handy:p
good luck with your new models (if you are going to make new ones...)

RJD

Re: sword - 06/20/05 19:18

o, and about your attack method: maybe you could do both ways. you could just slash around, and with one button you can charge a kind of 'super attack', with isn't the regular atatck, but stronger, and with cool particles and so on...:p
but in common combat i prefer quick attacks i think.
good luck

RJD

Re: sword - 06/21/05 18:52

Yes, what I was planning was a charge bar and if the player's charge is less than like 10, then normal attack. If more than 10, lunge; if more than 30, cleave; if more than 50, then throw (distance depending on how much above 50 and how much below 80); if above 80 then spin, and if 100 then devestating blow that shatters your weapon. BTW: Sword now has an obsidian skin similar to the spear's obsidian skin.

New! Flintlock, WIP! Need feedback; not skinned, no trigger or flash pan yet. Coming soon, blunderbuss.

Re: sword - 06/21/05 19:22

seems a good idea to me.
and about that obsidian skin, is it just an image, or has it any materials applied to it?
good luck

RJD

Re: sword - 06/21/05 22:13

no materials not even metal

Re: sword - 06/22/05 05:36

lol, looks good anyway

Re: sword - 06/22/05 22:58

Ok, the old flintlock sucked! Started over, this one is better! I never really looked at a flintlock before and I found a better picture, so now I was able to detail the mechanism better. You wouldn't think it but, a dwarf with a flintlock looks right!

Posted By: Inestical

Re: sword - 06/22/05 23:03

loooks niice 9/10

Re: sword - 06/23/05 05:22

o, i wanna see a pic of your dwarf with the flintlock then
keep going

RJD
Posted By: FeiHongJr

Re: sword - 06/23/05 05:54

Quote:

A). Make the different player attacks depend on like a charge bar, hold down the attack button and the charge moves up and when it is released, the attack depends on how charged you are.

personally i like that approach better. Maybe a mixture of the two would be best tho. Allow them to charge the attack for stronger attacks and still do random attacks. I wouldnt make uncharged attacks to weak tho or it could be annoying. Just that a charged one will deal more damage then an uncharged one

Anyways like the models, new flint gun looks alot better then the first. Keep it up

Re: sword - 06/23/05 06:22

Yea, the uncharged attacks will just be normal, based on the offense of your weapon. Say like with the next highest, your damage is x2; after that, x3 and x4.... I am actually toying with the idea of 1-hit kills, meaning that if you hit an enemy, it dies, but if the enemy has say an armor plate on its shoulder and you screw up and hit the plate then it just glances off, degrades the armor of course.

BTW: Working on skinning the new flintlock, so I'll post pics with the dwarf.

Re: sword - 06/23/05 17:09

FINISHED! I'M A DADDY! JK, nobody wants me..... ... .. . . . BTW: Flintlock with dwarf! I told you it looks cool.

Re: sword - 06/23/05 21:01

wow, it does look cool!
good skinning btw
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: sword - 06/24/05 13:53

That's a nice model. I like it.

Re: sword - 07/08/05 19:31

Hey check this out! I think it's cool. Not skinned yet though so no complaining!

Posted By: Tozzy

Re: sword - 07/08/05 19:33

Looks nice and well built. How many tris? I do mine at 700 high poly .

Re: sword - 07/08/05 20:41

vertices: 650
faces: 1228, that actually suprised me.

Celtic longsword, which is a funny name because celtic longswords were actually short. They didn't have the technology to create a long blade that wouldn't fold up in battle. Looks like the roman gladius and a scramasax. I think the scramasax was british and was influenced by the gladius, don't know about the celtic one though.
Posted By: Tozzy

Re: sword - 07/08/05 22:37

Sounds cool Slizzer. You seem to know about swords. This can also claim to be useful when attempting to model an object of any kind.

"If you know your object, you will know your model."

Please look out for my next week's showcase thread regarding my swords. Going to throw in some polearm and knife screenshots too as a treat . Perhaps you may receive a grasp of inspiration and learn something new too . Seeing as you're interested in swords ?

Good work Slizzer . Hopefully I'll be returning to your thread shortly to review your skinned sword .

Re: sword - 08/05/05 15:20

Brand new sword for you to stab stuff with!

Posted By: MatthzMan

Re: sword - 08/05/05 15:30

Wow the details look cool!
Posted By: EX Citer

Re: sword - 08/05/05 16:50

Very good. You can do weapon trails without any frame rate loss with realtime meshdeforming. In this case it will look like in SoulBlade. MAybe not as beautyful as a shader, but very, very, very useful for collusion detection via trace from vertex to vertex.

http://www.dreamstation.cc/images/image....Soul+Calibur+II
http://www.dreamstation.cc/images/image....system=GameCube
Posted By: Hetzer

Re: sword - 08/05/05 23:52

Very cool models and effects, but a crossbow is still missing or?

Re: sword - 08/06/05 05:54

Im not messing with that. I see no frame rate loss.

Does anyone care? LOL! - 09/02/05 14:41

Does anyone actually watch this thread and look for new updates? LOL. After all of this time I finally got the main character model that I hired someone to do for me, good price, fully animated. Now I can do more work on my game. First thing I did, and this is a good method for you cheap-skates out there, is select the faces of the torso and then click select inverse and delete all the NON-torso faces. Simply make this "torso" slightly bigger and reskin it as armor. Now you have armor that is fully animated and centered correctly.
In these shots I am using a combination of changing the player's skin and changing the armor's skin, so this way I can have underclothes and a main/outter carapace for his armor.

Full chain-mail and runic great sword
Leather cuirass, shield, and spear
Great sword and green leather armor
Ornate armor, club, and leather short-pants (snicker)
Posted By: Bilbo

Re: Does anyone care? LOL! - 09/02/05 15:39

nice model and idea, but i think he looks abit boss eyed...

Re: Does anyone care? LOL! - 09/02/05 17:24

Yea but those are the jpg enhancements that made the eyes look messed it up. The sword is also pixelated as hell.

Re: Does anyone care? LOL! - 09/03/05 21:37

The sweetness of having stuff...

Watch where you shine the light...

Evil, dusky, B-Rated, zombie clones of... You!

Going good. Full inventory system with equips. Random prefix/suffix for magic weapons/armor system. An intertwining tech tree (e.g. Raw Fire skill + Truename skill = Fire Aura). Combat and health system that supports stamina for running and attacking and magic-use at the cost of STAMINA (which recovers) not MP. This way magic-users actually have to be physically fit to use magic alot. P.S. Rat hunting, I don't know why, but if you get tired of seeing little squeekers you can pound them into goo...

EDIT!!!! *%($*@@&$$)!#(@)!!!! Also charge up and hold your weapon, then release to use a stronger attack that degrades your weapon faster and may cause it to get stuck in an enemy.
Posted By: Sandaras

Re: Does anyone care? LOL! - 09/03/05 22:01

Einfach super mach weiter so
Posted By: anarchie2199

Re: Does anyone care? LOL! - 09/04/05 06:42

Antwort auf:

Einfach super mach weiter so

Auf englische Threads antworttet man in englisch! Kann man das nicht, so lässt man es bleiben.
(steht auch in den Forum-Rules, nur eben auch auf englisch........)

MFG,
Punker.

Re: Does anyone care? LOL! - 09/04/05 07:28

LOL I don't understand german.

Re: Does anyone care? LOL! - 09/04/05 09:20

Sandras Said: "Preddy cool, keep on working on it..."

anarchie2199 said that Sandras should write in english, because this is an english Thread.

btw: It looks good, the models look very pro

Re: Does anyone care? LOL! - 09/04/05 11:57

Thanks! Blatt did the player model and the rest of the models are me. BTW: I don't care if they post in german here lol! I'll use babelfish...

Heck, there has been alot of improvement since I posted this latest update. There is a shifting stat training system. Basically you get stronger by excercise and practice not experience, and there are anti-stats like if you spend alot of time wielding a heavy weapon then your strength will go up and the anti-skill is agility so your agility will go down. Makes it so that you cannot train your character and max him out, ALSO lol this means that there is no way to "mess" your character up! You can decide to just train his strength instead of magic or whatever and with time your strength will go up and your magic will go down meaning you are deciding to be more of a fighter.

EDIT:
Ich kann mit babelfish sprechen, aber die Übersetzung wird vermutlich ganz oben verwirrt!

Re: Does anyone care? LOL! - 09/04/05 13:58

Very nice inventory!

Sometimes I wished is was able to do such drawings on computers, too.

Re: Does anyone care? LOL! - 09/04/05 14:30

You can! Very easily... I can't draw either. I'll tell you how. I have both paint shop pro 5 and 9. I used 5 to make these though. What I did was found a good stone texture on TurboSquid and tiled it in a 1024x768 image in Paint Shop then I selected all and constricted the selection by like 64. I inverted the selection and got rid of the extra and cropped it down.

I used a button filter (you don't need to use one) to make the base panel look like a button with sharp sloping edges. I opened MED and used the skin editor to look at all the skins of all my models and screen captured them all with Paint Shop. For the player "drawing" I did the same and pasted it (with out all the background) on to a layer on top of the panel and changed the layer blend mode to burn or overlay, I can't rember, and increased the transparency.

I made all the equipment pictures from captures of the models and made them more colorful in Paint Shop.

Re: Does anyone care? LOL! - 09/04/05 15:14

I kind of thought so, but the player and it's 'attach-buttons' are very good and surely a tricky combination of different filters!

Re: Does anyone care? LOL! - 09/04/05 17:07

Nope, not really. LOL contrast makes it alot easier. Only filter I used was instant color button from bordermania filters. I've used that filter for like 8 years and I love it.

EDIT: #@$%&^^%*!)#*)!#$*&! By the way, my web page is up. I didn't want to put up a half-done web page. Hamerung

Re: Does anyone care? LOL! - 09/05/05 06:56

Nice work. I like that dynamic light and the player model is nice as well. You did a good job with the inventory. That looks very promising and could be a professional title with that eye to details.
Posted By: Calined

Re: Does anyone care? LOL! - 09/05/05 07:43

hey the models are looking very nice and somehow really professional o.o

and the movement(as far as i can see on the screens) seems good too^^

Re: Does anyone care? LOL! - 09/05/05 08:25

There is a video on the main page of my web page on my signature. The only thing is that FRAPS slows it down alot so the actual movements are faster and smoother. It kind of craps up my work... lol.

Re: Does anyone care? LOL! - 09/05/05 08:28

what exactly is this fraps? o.o

Re: Does anyone care? LOL! - 09/05/05 09:47

Fraps is a motion capture tool designed for games. It is very good software.

Re: Does anyone care? LOL! - 09/05/05 10:06

and you have enough money to use this? O_O

edit: OMG yes! XD

you mean a video capture tool!

and i tried to force myself to hold this name in mind XDDD

Re: Does anyone care? LOL! - 09/05/05 11:40

Uh. Lol the demo is free but you can't get above 30 fps, which happens to be why my video is laggy.

Re: Does anyone care? LOL! - 09/05/05 12:34

i thought 25 frames are enough for a video o.o

Re: Does anyone care? LOL! - 09/05/05 13:12

Enough yes lol but it doesn't do it justice. The frame rate is halfed when I'm using fraps to capture and it makes the player almost look like he is running in place lol.

Re: Does anyone care? LOL! - 09/05/05 13:28

lol ok^^""
so i can forget this name

Re: Does anyone care? LOL! - 09/05/05 15:09

What? Fraps? Do what you want. I don't care this thread is about me lol.

Re: Does anyone care? LOL! - 09/05/05 15:25

you're right

Re: Does anyone care? LOL! - 09/16/05 09:01

This game is coming together rather well. One area so far, this desert canyon. Another area is in the works: The Forgotten Cell.

Here is a Loopix tree!

Misc., random, sandy path type thing.

Junk in the sand. Pick it up!

I cannot stress how VALUABLE that vattach code by GnomeTech is! This code makes it easy to add weapons and armor to your character without having to animate it to match the character model!

So far I have working inventory, and now this quick bar. Working combat, just no enemies... LOL. And that nice floating fluff in the background.

Re: Does anyone care? LOL! - 09/20/05 07:12

Yep! I'm posting for every little stinking change! Sorry... No I'm not... Yes I am... No, really, I'm not.

Meet ignus! I don't know if I mentioned earlier, but RPGs are way too crappin' complicated with all the different skills and spells and everything.

Why should you have like 20 different fire "spells" or skills that are just variations of the same idea and do more damage, when you can have one skill that increases with practice and can be changed by combining different techniques?

The essence of a chair is to keep you off of the ground when you sit. Similarly, the essence of a fire ball is fire that hits something and damages it. Does it matter if the fire is in the shape of a ball? No, as long as it can hit something. It would seem to me, that the essence of fire in nature is chaotic, I want to emulate that by allowing the player to create fire and only be able to control how much fire you can create, how long the stream is (affected by skill), and how much damage the stream does (affected by skill).

The way ignus changes depends on what you combine with it. You can create a ring of fire or a stream (default), you just have to combine ignus with the correct effect. Nothing for a stream, ring effect for the fire ring, area effect for an explosion, etc...

Re: Does anyone care? LOL! - 09/20/05 08:30

yeah that sounds like a great innovative and funbringing idea
wanna try it ^.^

Re: Does anyone care? LOL! - 09/20/05 11:01

Hey a cactrot cool... Real quick, latin!! So that alot of non-english people will understand certain key-elements like the skill names.

Abuse crates and small animals with aduro.

Re: Does anyone care? LOL! - 09/20/05 15:01

i can't see your images...

Lightning - 09/21/05 06:46

@RJDL: I don't know what the problem is, they show up fine on my computer. They are imageshack uploads.

Fulgor!!! If you don't know latin, look at the picture and take a wild guess as to what the skill is. More serious crate abuse.

I know that there are a bunch of people out there that want to know how to make lightning strike. I did it with a stream of particles that lasts for a split second then a thunder clap and a huge flash. If anyone needs the code to make lightning strike then PM me, I'll give it to you.

Re: Lightning - 09/21/05 12:15

ah, now i see the images!
they look cool!

Icons - 09/23/05 11:42

Icons for some of the abilities in the game so far.

Icons here.
Posted By: ello

Re: Icons - 09/23/05 12:06

very nice done:)

Re: Icons - 09/24/05 04:44

Ok. I need some help here. I have just about run out of ideas for skills. I'll list their names so far. I need at least 12 per skill group. So you can look to see how many I need before the group is full.

-Elemental-
Fire, Frost, Lightning, Resist Fire, Resist Frost, Resist Lightning, Clear Weather, Rain Cloud, Wind Storm (needs 3 skills)

-Combat-
Dagger Mastery, Sword Mastery, Blugeon Mastery, Axe Mastery, Staff Mastery, Spear Mastery, Blocking, Attack, Weapon Hurling (needs 3 skills)

-Arcane-
Mind's Eye, Light, Faith, Fetch, Black Rot, Dark Offering, Spellcraft, Runecraft (needs 4 skills)

-Survival-
First Aid, Traps, Herbalism, Tracking, Awareness (needs 7 skills)

-Artisanship-
Repair, Forge, Imbue, Metal Mastery (needs 8 skills)

-Alchemy-
Alchemy Mastery (needs 11 lol)

Book - 12/15/05 22:35

I made a new book model. It is animated to close and then fall sideways so that it lays flat when not opened. I made several page images for this model and I will be including it with a layered psp file with guides and the like so that someone could easily make new pages and include components such as dog ears by just making the layer visible and export the new skin.

Posted By: MadMark

Re: Icons - 12/16/05 02:03

Here are some ideas that I was going to use in a similar game that I started ages ago, but never got 'round to completing. Mainly because I'm more of a story/model/planner than I am a programmer, so far, anyway. Use 'em, lose 'em, or abuse 'em.

-Elemental-
Fire, Frost, Lightning, Resist Fire, Resist Frost, Resist Lightning, Clear Weather, Rain Cloud, Wind Storm (needs 3 skills)

Flesh to stone
· Melee attack
· Turns the creature to stone (paralysis) for x minutes.

Flood
· Causes a river to flow at your opponent.

Illusion
· Causes creature of your choice to appear and fight on your behalf, but does no real damage. (allows you to haul a$$ while the baddies fight a shadow)

-Combat-
Dagger Mastery, Sword Mastery, Blugeon Mastery, Axe Mastery, Staff Mastery, Spear Mastery, Blocking, Attack, Weapon Hurling (needs 3 skills)

IDEAS:
Subdual Mastery
· A normal weapon can be made to deal subdual damage

Disarm Skill
· In a melee attack, make opposed attack roll, +4 for each size difference to
larger weapon, +4 to defender if their weapon is two-handed.
· If defender loses, he is disarmed, if attacker loses, the defender may
attempt to disarm the attacker or attack with a bonus modifier.

Shield Mastery
· Use the shield as a battering weapon, or improve parrying.

Trip
· Can only try to trip an opponent who is up to one size larger than you.
· Make a melee attack.
· If attack succeeds (you hit him), make a Strength check versus opponent’s Strength and/or Dexterity.

-Arcane-
Mind's Eye, Light, Faith, Fetch, Black Rot, Dark Offering, Spellcraft, Runecraft (needs 4 skills)

IDEAS:
Turn Undead
· Range: 60 feet, line of sight
· Undead with 1/2 HP of player’s HP are destroyed.
· Undead with >1/2 <3/4 HP of player’s HP are turned.
· Undead with > 1/3 HP of player’s HP are unaffected.
· Turned undead flee for 1000 quants, if they can’t, they cower
· If player gets closer than 30 quants, turned undead will turn to dust.

Intimidate
· Range: 60 feet, line of sight.
· Affected NPC's are filled with fear.
· Flee for 1000 quants, if they can’t flee, they cower.
· If player gets closer than 30 quants, they BARGAIN/BEG.
Material Component: Gold shavings, a lions tooth, and an elk heart.

Antimagic
· Range: 60 feet, diameter.
· Summoned creatures vanish until field dispels.
· Constructs, elemental, undead, etc. still function, but lose supernatural
and magic capabilities.
Material Component: A piece of dark oak, broth of newt, and a snippet of lynx hair.

Black Lightning
Evocation (Death, Electricity, Evil)
· Range: Up to 25 feet
· Launches crackling black lightning at 1 creature, dealing 1-10 points of damage per 2 magic points. Half the damage is electricity, the rest is energy from the lower planes (evil creatures, creatures native to evil planes, and
creatures immune to death effects are not affected by the profane energy).
Material Component: A piece of humanoid scalp and a rod of black crystal.

Cold Blast
· Range: Up to 50 feet
· Launches a cone of icy cold, dealing 1-10 points of damage per 2 magic points used.
Material Component: A vial of water, an ice diamond, and a twist of lime on the rocks.

-Survival-
First Aid, Traps, Herbalism, Tracking, Awareness (needs 7 skills)

IDEAS:
Balance (Dex), Move Silently (Dex), Ride (Dex), Search/forage (Int), Swim (Str), Hide (Dex)

-Artisanship-
Repair, Forge, Imbue, Metal Mastery (needs 8 skills)

IDEAS:
Woodworking, Leather Craft, Masonry (handy if you want fort/buidling construction)

Identify Magic (Wis)
· Identify properties of items that may or may not be magical.

Appraise (Int)
· Identify the value of items.

-Alchemy-
Alchemy Mastery (needs 11 lol)

IDEAS:
Cure Disease
· Of course, you would have to create diseases to cure them. LOL.
· Blindness
· Fever
· Demon fever
· Devil chills
· Mindfire
· Mummy rot
· Red ache
· Shakes

Summon Elemental (Earth, Air, Water, Fire), Summon Demon (Outer planes, Chasm, Gateway, Hell)

Create Potion (Healing, Charm, Strength, Berzerker, Youth, BoOzE!)

Botany (Identify flora, if you are going to use a "gather ingredients" strategy for Alchemy)

Biology (Identify fauna, if you are going to use a "gather ingredients" strategy for Alchemy)

Cheers!
Mark

Re: Icons - 12/17/05 01:00

Great! Took someone awhile though lol. I am currently working on my magic system that allows the player to create a huge amount of different magic spells by drawing different diagrams and designs on paper then "using" the paper. It is basically a panel with paper bg and a couple of other panels that display different diagrams depending on what choices that the player makes. Confirming the choices places the scroll in your inventory. This thumbnail is a result of an effect that creates a small fire in an area that lasts for a day.

Posted By: kmangwing

Re: Icons - 12/18/05 05:37

your spell creation idea reminds me of the "combo mater" from Sacred. Its pretty cool. THe only thing is i would require that the player has to have a skill for spell creation. So, if he has a skill of say, 8, he can do 8 figure things, making the spell more complex and powerful. also, there needs to be a chance of fatal error. I mean, if theres a chance of making the spell wrong, then there needs to be a penalty if you do make it wrong. And there would be varying degrees of penalty.

Another spell thing i would add under arcane is the ability to create undead. You would have areas such as graveyards and crypts that the player could create an undead army that would follow him. There would be a limit depending on skill, and you would be able to rise corpses too. There also needs to be a chance that if your skill in it is too low, the zombies will attack you. In fact, the whole idea of a penalty on low levels and the possibility of messing up spells seems pretty cool too me.
Posted By: MadMark

Re: Icons - 12/20/05 00:12

Quote:

I mean, if theres a chance of making the spell wrong, then there needs to be a penalty if you do make it wrong. And there would be varying degrees of penalty.

I'd say that would be a good plan. Have the user move the mouse in the shape, kind of like Black & White, and if it isn't the correct shape, he becomes a toad or something...

Quote:

Another spell thing i would add under arcane is the ability to create undead. You would have areas such as graveyards and crypts that the player could create an undead army that would follow him. There would be a limit depending on skill, and you would be able to rise corpses too. There also needs to be a chance that if your skill in it is too low, the zombies will attack you. In fact, the whole idea of a penalty on low levels and the possibility of messing up spells seems pretty cool too me.

Good point. Technically, every spell should have a counter-spell. This in effect, doubles the number of spells in your game. So an evil character would study how to raise undead and summoning demons, a nice character would study turning undead and summoning elementals. This was the premise that I was working on before I gave up on it. 4 magic styles, 1 pure good based on water, 1 neutral good based on air, 1 neutral evil based on earth, 1 pure evil based on fire. Each would have counters to SOME of each of the other 3 groups. You could re-use the same shapes or symbols for each group. (A figure 8 for instance would cast spell 8 from each of the 4 groups, but would invoke a different spell depending on what art the spellcaster was committed to studying.

Mark

Re: Icons - 12/20/05 03:44

LOL. I have already thought of all of this. The old skill concept for magic is no longer being used, but I am using the skill concept for ACTUAL skills like alchemy.

I included the ideas about counter-spells already, they use a special diagram for negate that cancels everything out. And spells will backfire if you aren't good enough, spell creation isn't a skill really,it is affected by a few different skills. Using my example; the hand stands for creation and that is under the summoning skill, the circle stands for a radius and that is summoning as well, and the fire is under the elemental skill. With all of this there is a chance of failure depending on skill for each component, but you won't actually fail at creating the spell on the paper, you will fail when casting it and get fried. I'm also using focus and recharge for when you use them: focus being like magic-points that regenerate quickly and recharge being how quickly the spell can be used again, a cool-down period, and the recharge time being determined by the skills that influence each component. As a player, you won't need to know all of this, and you won't have any chance to know about it. I am trying really hard to make it non-technical so it doesn't scare people away.
Posted By: Josh_Arldt

Re: Icons - 12/20/05 06:15

Very nice job so far.

Gui - 12/22/05 17:07

Here you go.

On the left is the normal attack. The icon on the right denotes a touch-based delivery for the readied spell; the far-right icon, the chain shape, which causes the effects to jump from one target to the next (using the delivery method) until expiration. Basically, you have to touch an opponent, if the opponent is near other opponents (touching them) then the effect spreads. When the effect expires, it can no longer be spread.

Re: Gui - 01/03/06 07:21

Here are some screens from the WIP. Two are shots of the skill system, they show the Nova Missile skill that delivers an effect in like a ranged burst pattern. The other three are of the sword models that I have made. I think they look nice.

Nova Missile

Swords

New Stuff - 01/17/06 01:17

I made some new stuff. Apparently, there are other types of weapons besides swords... I think.

Oak is the theme this season. Shade of dark umber offset the... lol. No, just kidding.

Trained in the ancient art of punching people in the face and picking up hewn oak blugeons to beat puppies...

Re: New Stuff - 01/19/06 10:43

I have a new club. I felt that I had to do this one. Rember the Gnarled Root? All of the old-school Diablo-heads will know what I am talking about. Here it is, basically a gnarled wooden club.

And a rustic bench model to go with the table.

Re: New Stuff - 01/21/06 16:57

i vaguely remember that root. I like the progress you've made on the game.

Re: New Stuff - 01/22/06 16:33

Yea gnarled root was like +300% to damage, problem is that it lol only did like 1-8 damage lol.

Re: New Stuff - 01/28/06 01:26

Decided on a starting area! Found a pic online of a fantasy city built on the side of a cliff facing the ocean. I decided to make it similar, and I am not going to post the pic because I'll probably be beat up by storm troopers.

Day Time.

The sun! BTW: I'm using code by Loopix for sunrise and set. Donate money to him.

Night. No crickets at sea. They drowned.

Posted By: Andvari

Re: New Stuff - 01/28/06 05:17

great work slizzer, your game is looking really nice , ( and it will look even nicer soon )

Re: New Stuff - 01/28/06 13:47

Haha. That was last night. You should see it now!
Posted By: Roy

Re: New Stuff - 01/28/06 15:26

It looks really good.
Everything fits nice together.
I do like the particles very much.
Good luck!

Look at this crazy crap! - 01/30/06 23:17

New stuff! I was complaining about photo textures in another thread so I made some screens showing NON-photo textures to show that they are MUCH cooler!

These screens are prefabs that I am using to put together my city. As you can see the textures have changed alot.

I bought a CD of textures to use. By combining different textures with the plaster from the J's Tear I got a cool looking interior wall!

Soon I will have the player model that Andvari did for me! When I do, I will post pics of it here because he does great work. Boy, Andvari sure knows his way around the naked female body...

Re: Look at this crazy crap! - 01/31/06 00:10

hahaha yeah slizzer, i do >=)

Re: Look at this crazy crap! - 01/31/06 08:22

Cool interiors Your combined 3dtotal / jTears wall texture looks fantastic.
Posted By: sempronius

Re: Look at this crazy crap! - 01/31/06 08:29

bigger pictures!

Re: Look at this crazy crap! - 01/31/06 16:31

Yes Frank, a perfect union of both stuff that I didn't make and stuff that was not made by me.

Sempronius: Sorry, when Imageshack gets slow I boot it and use photobucket and they auto resize large pics.

Re: Look at this crazy crap! - 02/01/06 15:22

The player model has landed! Check her out.

Re: Look at this crazy crap! - 02/03/06 00:24

I doubt her unides offer much protection. Lol. Coming along quite nicley.

Re: Look at this crazy crap! - 02/03/06 00:30

Yea lol. Armor is next. I have a shield for her to hide her bits behind. lol
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: Look at this crazy crap! - 02/03/06 00:44

Naaww , the way she is now , she'll get a +300 persuade and +100 charisma bonus, should come in handy in conversations ...
Looking good slizzer, we want more!

Cheers

Re: Look at this crazy crap! - 02/11/06 15:53

Quick update. I fixed a teeny tiny texture problem no one noticed lol! Segmented and modelled something to cover her (half/cover), this is an example of the kinds of things that I will be doing with this model.

Re: Look at this crazy crap! - 02/16/06 06:11

I keep posting photos. Here is an example of the way I am doing the armor and clothing. Modified parts. I have some good examples for now so I can start on the actual game. All of the model parts animate together when the player walks and they BLEND together as well.

Re: Look at this crazy crap! - 02/16/06 13:57

wow slizzer great job, this is looking really good :O

Re: Look at this crazy crap! - 02/23/06 23:47

Do you guys think I should go to using an isometric camera? I'm having good results with the one that I made for testing. Also using a vanity type cam that circles when you are still for such and such seconds. It's the cam that those pics are taken with.
Posted By: Guardian

Re: Look at this crazy crap! - 02/24/06 00:59

slizzer, very nice chain mail skinning I know how tough that can be.

Keep up the good work.

Guardian
Posted By: laethyn

Re: Look at this crazy crap! - 02/24/06 02:52

I hope that 0.0 is not the framerate!

Great job on the chain mail (and everything else, besides).

Re: Look at this crazy crap! - 02/24/06 03:02

Wings rules for skinning. BTW no that 0.0 is a diagnostic thing it could have been my forward speed or pan force or fall time, its hard to say. I know it isn't the frame rate.
Posted By: TheExpert

Re: Look at this crazy crap! - 02/24/06 12:02

Woow

your model, textures are incredibly commercial quality for pro market
really very good
Posted By: mpdeveloper_B

Re: sword - 02/24/06 15:01

Very nice swords...very nice

Re: sword - 02/24/06 15:30

actually, the female model is mine , but slizzer is doing a great job with the clothes and weapons

Re: sword - 02/24/06 23:52

yea...
Posted By: nkl

Re: sword - 02/25/06 05:43

Hi!
Your screen shot look very nice.
Where do I download the demo?
Thanks already.

Re: sword - 02/25/06 22:44

You do not download a demo. There is no demo. I would not like to see alot of things that I worked long and hard on being ripped.

Celebrating 14 pages!!! - 02/27/06 15:39

A real, actual update that is worth something. Buggy battle system implemented. It is pretty good, but no frills.

Re: Celebrating 14 pages!!! - 02/27/06 16:11

Nice textures!!

hehehe that's a great sentence, put it into the features list "Buggy battle system implemented."!

But the screens don't show much of the system, we'd have to see it in real time? :-|

Re: Celebrating 14 pages!!! - 02/27/06 16:45

not really buggy in truth there just are some things missing like enemy retreat and hunting code where an enemy moves to the last known area where it saw the player. right now if it sees the player it runs to meet her and attacks until dead. would upload a vid but i dont have a place to stow it, maybe i should actually look for a place...
Posted By: Nicolas_B

Re: Celebrating 14 pages!!! - 02/27/06 17:41

hey wow. nice modells and textures

Re: Celebrating 14 pages!!! - 02/27/06 17:47

great work slizzer, i'm impressed

Re: Celebrating 14 pages!!! - 03/03/06 06:04

Using the tip that Grimber gave me, I was able to make a wierd sort of pathfinding code. Screen shots are pointless lol, FRAPS lags it so bad it looks aweful. Here's what it does though: An enemy will chase you if it can see you, and when it can't see you it will go to the last node that saw you. This would be a problem because the enemy would stick in the wall while trying to get to a node that doesn't have line of sight, but I made it so it traces obsticles, sort of like the pathfinding code in the aum and when it gets close to a wall it will just pan away from that location. If the player is close to the wall, it would end up making a "safe spot" where the enemy won't go, but it will not trace for obsticles if the player is still while it has the line of sight to the player. It works out good, not screwy looking or anything. I will work on it some more tomorrow and mix it up with my combat system and post some more stuff.

Videos finally... - 03/13/06 06:34

Finally put together some videos of the NEW new skill system. A couple of mummies just kinda standing around getting ready to be toastified. Currently three skills, sort of elementalist fire skills. I'm going to work on fire now and then go through earth, air, and water. These videos are dark because of compression.

Immolating Touch
Fireball
Wrath of Fire

Icons were made by taking screen shots of a special studio type level with a camera fixed on the effect.

Re: Videos finally... - 03/13/06 19:20

It is always a pleasure to see how your project grows. I like your ambitions.

Frank
Posted By: Captain_Kiyaku

Re: Videos finally... - 03/13/06 19:35

is it possible to download the videos? cause my Media Player doesnt work anymore with website movies, and i really want to see it :/
Posted By: kasimir

Re: Videos finally... - 03/13/06 20:04

the animation/effects
looks perfectly i like it...

Re: Videos finally... - 03/13/06 21:09

Thanks Frank and kasimir.

DS Kihaku, I get rid of misc. crap on my computer pretty fast. I am currently in the process of finding a new home for my web page that will have videos and crap on it. I'll make a new vid compress and post a link.

Re: Videos finally... - 03/13/06 21:33

Great!

Like they burn and the "rain of fire", looks perfect!

Re: Videos finally... - 03/13/06 22:04

Im in the process of making the rain of fire look more perfecter. It used to rain straight down, then I made it rain at random angles, now I think I am going to make it face a random angle and then rotate to the target slowly so some may face the target all the way, some may not. The idea is to make it look like the fire is aimed at one specific target and MAY hit others. The burn effect is only going to be available for some fire skills.

Re: Videos finally... - 03/14/06 12:34

Oh yeah, that idea is awesome.

In Dragonrise I made the fireball (which looks more like a photon torpedo from Star Treck) similar.
I flys not directly to the target but in circular shapes, maybe even some circles around the target.

That's very nice for fire spells, keep on going! ^.^"
Posted By: ello

Re: Videos finally... - 03/14/06 12:42

i like them too, but i think the player standing under the "wrath of fire" should be hurt too, or else have somewhot magic that prevents it.

nice done, i like the models, too

Re: Videos finally... - 03/14/06 20:54

Yea, thats one of the things I have planned. It was disabled for testing.

Re: Videos finally... - 03/16/06 18:32

New armor. Made by extruding the original mesh so it matches the animations.
This is a good way of editting a model with animations. This armor isn't textured yet. Everything new in the next update.

I found a web hosting service that accepts paypal so I am waiting for my fund transfer to go through so I can get a domain and everything up and running. All of the videos and everything will be on that page.

Re: Videos finally... - 03/16/06 18:39

Fantastic

Re: Videos finally... - 03/26/06 22:42

The web page is up. It's small and simple and I have not uploaded any vids yet, until I figure out WTF I'm doing exactally. Some screen shots and info mainly.

Page
Posted By: Loopix

Re: Videos finally... - 03/27/06 06:41

Hi slizzer...I just wanna tell you that I enjoy the progress on your outstanding rpg project and I really hope to see a finished game...when the time has come.

btw. Website is nice...but it will have to evolve at sometime...like your rpg does the camera-code download displays an error page.

Re: Videos finally... - 03/27/06 10:36

No kidding about the camera code. I don't know why, the file is there. I def need more content. I'm working on some things right now. I get about 2 days a week to work on this game.
Posted By: ulf

Re: Videos finally... - 03/27/06 10:43

very, very nice. can you explain in more detail please how your system of different armor works? thanks in advance and keep up the good work!

Re: Videos finally... - 03/28/06 06:28

ulf: I split up a biped model into different pieces like chest, arms, legs, etc. and then animate them together to make the player model. I use the different pieces to make different armor and clothing, this way I can just swap out the pieces.

loopix: Here is the code.
Code:

var cam_ang[3];
var cam_dist = 10;
var mouse_stopped;

function 3rd_person_cam()
{
if(!player || mouse_mode == 1){return;}
me = player;
var temp2[3];
camera.x = player.x + (-400 * cos(ang(player.pan)));
camera.y = player.y + (-400 * sin(ang(player.pan)));
camera.z += (-mouse_force.y * 50) * time;
if(camera.z >= player.z + 500){camera.z = player.z + 500;}
if(camera.z <= player.z - 80){camera.z = player.z - 80;}
vec_diff(temp.x,player.x,camera.x);
vec_to_angle(temp,temp);
camera.pan = temp.pan;
camera.tilt = temp.tilt;
trace_mode = ignore_passable + ignore_passents + ignore_me;
c_trace(player.x,camera.x,trace_mode);
if(trace_hit == 1)
{
vec_set(camera.x,target.x);
vec_normalize(normal.x,(camera.clip_near/2));
vec_add(camera.x,normal.x);
}
else
{
vec_diff(temp,camera.x,camera.x);
vec_normalize(temp,camera.clip_near);
vec_rotate(temp,vector(90,0,0));
vec_set(temp2,camera.pos);
vec_add(temp2,temp);
c_trace(camera.x,temp2.x,trace_mode);
if(trace_hit == 1)
{
}
else
{
vec_rotate(temp,vector(-180,0,0));
vec_set(temp2,camera.pos);
vec_add(temp2,temp);
c_trace(camera.x,temp2.x,trace_mode);
if(trace_hit == 1)
{
}
}
}
wait(1);
}

function vanity_cam()
{
cam_ang.pan += 1 * time;
cam_dist = 200;
camera.x = player.x + cos(cam_ang.pan) * (cam_dist * cos(cam_ang.tilt));
camera.y = player.y + sin(cam_ang.pan) * (cam_dist * cos(cam_ang.tilt));
camera.z = player.z + sin(cam_ang.tilt) * cam_dist;
vec_set(temp,player.x);
vec_sub(temp,camera.x);
vec_to_angle(camera.pan,temp);
}

function iso_cam()
{
if(!player || mouse_mode == 1){return;}
me = player;
var temp2[3];
camera.x = player.x + (-400 * cos(ang(player.pan)));
camera.y = player.y + (-400 * sin(ang(player.pan)));
camera.z = player.z + 500;
vec_diff(temp.x,player.x,camera.x);
vec_to_angle(temp,temp);
camera.pan = temp.pan;
camera.tilt = temp.tilt;
}

starter update_camera
{
while(!player){wait(1);}
while(1)
{
if(player.move_x == 0 && player.move_y == 0 && mouse_moving == 0)
{
mouse_stopped += 1 * time;
}
else
{
mouse_stopped = 0;
}

if(mouse_stopped >= 5000)
{
camera.arc = 72;
cam_ang.tilt = 20;
cam_ang.roll = 0;
vanity_cam();
}
else{iso_cam();}

wait(1);
}
}

function force_vanity()
{
mouse_stopped = 5000;
}

on_f7 force_vanity();

Re: Videos finally... - 03/30/06 15:14

Last update for awhile. I totally have my plate full with everything new that I am getting into. Andvari did a new model, the male player model. Sweet...

Also, updated my site with some new stuff, but I also re-made the site so it is smaller and neater. Like I said, I haven't done HTML seriously since like 1995.

New - 10/31/06 17:00

I am absolutely not creating a new thread for this! I recently got Photoshop and I have been trying forever to skin a model that I made. I used to use Paint Shop Pro. Please tell me anything that you see wrong with this model. There is a place on the grip where there is a slight seam, but I'll fix it soon enough. The hardest part I find is the colors of the metal.

It's just a regular, plain short sword. Later I am going to add some adornments like simple designs on the guard.

Re: New - 10/31/06 18:09

wow, that definately looks cool!
i would make the metal a bit darker. if you add reflections to it eventually, it should look quite good (i'd like a screenshot of that )
Posted By: Shadow969

Re: New - 10/31/06 19:29

Really nice!I liked the male skin, it makes him look very realistic.And as for sword: it's blade is perfect but i think it should be a little longer and maybe the handle should be wider, but it is only my opinion
can't wait to see a demo!
Posted By: frazzle

Re: New - 10/31/06 20:38

Both the blade and the male look amazing !!
Great work slizzer

Cheers

Frazzle
Posted By: EpsiloN

Re: New - 10/31/06 23:55

I think the proportions of the sword are perfect , I dont like only the color of the fibers on the handle. Try to make them darker brown and see if it looks better...

PS.: Great project I wish you luck finishing it!

Re: New - 11/01/06 04:44

The dude was andvari's work, I can't do people.

Shadow969: If anything I think that the blade should be a tad shorter. It's a short sword.

Epsilon: I wanted a color that contrasted the brown wood under. The reason it took me so long is because I spent all night trying to figure out how to make a metal texture that didn't clash with how I made the blade. I was shocked how well the blade turned out. Check the skin out, of course I shrink the skin before using it on the model.

Tried adding markings to the hilt, but anything that I do doesn't seem to look right.

Re: New - 11/01/06 09:12

Ok, I'm bad for this, I tend to micromanage updates. This is the last time I will mention this sword. After this post, this short sword is going into the pile of models that I am using with my game. The next time you will see this model, it will be in an in-game screen.

I know you think it looks just like the last, the grip has been totally redone. The texture is still bright, but it is more of a brown than a pinkish-red. The reason that I want it so bright is because with a darker brown, the handle just doesn't look right. I want no positive feedback on this, just negative.

Compare this texture of the grip with the texture in the skin above and you will see the difference. All images seen here in this manner are free to use btw. Later, I will release a whole pack of models like this for a small fee probably. Alot of people downloaded my last pack and it was lol quite ugly compared to these new ones.

Currently, I have this sword, a gnarled staff; and a straighter, longer staff. I won't release the staff pics because they are boring and that has to do with that little micromanagement problem. Short sword officially complete.

Re: New - 11/01/06 15:49

Negative comments only.

Re: New - 11/01/06 16:24

I think you should leave more wood here visible it'll give it simplifyed look. (Except if you are planning it for a special item ) The handle is long enough for grabbing...

PS.: When are you gonna post some screens in-game with the player holding those weapons ? I think its harder to see the proportions and the skin of the weapon compared with your characters.

Re: New - 11/02/06 20:30

What I did to this model, and I am not posting a pic of the changes; I reduced the size of the mace head, basically moved the grip up so that all wood is visible near the end and increased the size of the end to give it a slight taper.

This model is simple compared to what I am using for some of the special items.

Next up is a hand-and-a-half sword, sort of like a claymore, but with a straight cross-piece and not that classic V look. As for the swords, what I have planned so far is the hand-and-a-half sword, a regular claymore (with the V), a great sword (you guys will love the design, I found a pic that I liked in a REALLY old ultima manual from like ultima 1 or 2), and a broad sword.

PS: I have the hand-and-a-half sword mesh complete and I am currently mapping it, but first.... NAP!

Newer than new... - 11/03/06 15:08

MEOW! Hand-and-a-half sword.

Re: Newer than new... - 11/03/06 15:18

Excelent work I hope you soon will have enough for a demo/beta , realy interesting...

Re: Newer than new... - 11/03/06 16:34

cool! i really like it

Re: Newer than new... - 11/03/06 19:14

Re: Newer than new... - 11/05/06 22:45

Here is a wip shot of the great sword, it is an old design, I pulled out an old model and improved it. I posted a wip because it is proving to be a pain in the butt to skin.

Posted By: frazzle

Re: Newer than new... - 11/06/06 12:02

As you siad it is a wip version but it looks oke The only thing that looks weird to me is the end of the sword, abit unsmooth maybe ^^
But when you putted askin around it, it will look better I think !!

Cheers

Frazzlle

Re: Newer than new... - 11/06/06 12:21

Actually, I abandoned this design. It proved to be a pain in the A$$! SERIOUSLY! YOU HAVE NO IDEA! The tip of the sword is the same as all the others, its just the shading in med. I'm working on some junk-n-stuff to provide an in game shot of the big sword that I gave away.
Posted By: DLively

Re: sword - 11/10/06 19:24

mmmm....Drewl, drewl... Loving this whole frickin game! This looks very profesional... . Keep up the good work

Re: sword - 11/18/06 23:46

Four new screens. These screens are of a small "dungeon" at the beginning of the game. I got the gravity and movement code working great now and implimented a sort of fog of war that "blacks out" the rooms that are blocked by closed doors, etc... In the screens a material and beam effect are assigned to the weapons.

Re: sword - 11/19/06 06:19

Wow.... that is looking great... are you going to release a demo of your game soon? I would really like to try it out.

Re: sword - 11/19/06 08:24

no demo until i can find a good file packer
Posted By: Why_Do_I_Die

Re: sword - 11/19/06 08:53

Try molebox , its fairly cheap and REALLY good. I tried looking aroudn for a cheaper alternative before buying it but in the end concluded Molebox was the best choise. Its a really solid little program.
Posted By: Shinobi

Re: sword - 11/19/06 19:36

Nice looking sword effect , good work .

Quote:

Try molebox , its fairly cheap and REALLY good. I tried looking aroudn for a cheaper alternative before buying it but in the end concluded Molebox was the best choise. Its a really solid little program.

agree 100 % i have A6 Pro but still use Molebox Pro to pack my files
Posted By: broozar

Re: sword - 11/19/06 19:37

for a file packer, check out my nBinder4 "review": http://www.coniserver.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/705146/an/0/page/0#Post705146

Re: sword - 11/20/06 02:32

sounds great! i spent some money on biped models and textures and i dont want them ripped it peeees me off! plus andvari prolly wouldnt like to see some of his models being distributed. however im short on cash currently,due in part to some great stuff that is being comissioned for me right now. i will use something to pack and secure the files.

Re: sword - 11/21/06 06:46

I realize that given the pictures I have shown, there is nothing that says that I am actually making a game! Now there is! I spent many long... minutes on this.

Demo video.

Re: sword - 11/22/06 15:09

oh slizzer that's lovely!! great work

Re: sword - 11/22/06 19:33

Are you going to make this similar to fable, In the clothing sence? Dont get me wrong, an almost naked women as the main character is good... but only for so long... are you going to make it so that you can change the clothing like in fable?

BTW, nice Demo.

Link
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: sword - 11/22/06 22:24

It looks awesome! Infact, I don't mind a halfnaked female main character. It can be somewhat distracting, but I think she'll get some cloths and armor anyway, right?

Anyways, it all seems to be working very good, nice camera system too. Thumbs up!

One critic would be that it's quite dark around the player. Perhaps make a small circular area of light around the player? There are plenty of RPGs who do this when player get into a dark area. It should never be too dark imho.

Cheers

Re: sword - 11/22/06 22:30

Yea a couple of things. It is a naked woman. I could have included the TOTALLY naked texture that Andvari made lol, no... I am making armor and clothing right now.

Light Radius. The video makes it look dark. It really isn't dark. I used for the level ambient 0,0,50 on the map settings and use a static light 50,50,50 to light the center of the most dim areas. The idea is to make you WISH you had brought torches...

Re: sword - 11/27/06 02:00

Big old huge suprise. I know it doesn't appear alot different than the old one. I will link to this since I don't want to double post.
Combat Theory Thread

Awhile ago I started a thread to discuss combat system theory. My last post, which is linked to above, contains a demo movie of the NEW new combat system and interface. You should read the entry too.
© 2024 lite-C Forums