Last Stand - first test - 11/19/12 17:36

Hey guys, I wanted to show you something I've made lately laugh
Please, share your emotions and criticism after playing this demo:
Download link
Here is the screen (so you will see, what you are about to download):
Quote:
One:

Two:
Everything is still WIP laugh And please, don't use/share anything from this demo!!

Movement input:
WSAD - movement
MOUSE LEFT - shooting
E - melee attack
R - reload
You can respawn by pressing anykey, right after death!

Special thanks for rayp, as he shared long time ago, that ass kicking foot with me.

Edit: fixed download link!
Posted By: Uhrwerk

Re: Last Stand - first test - 11/19/12 18:20

Ok, I found it pretty hard, but it was ok. These guys are cooperating to kill you, right? You really need to show a score. The game mechanics are already pretty solid. The explosion sounds are taken from HL2, right?
Posted By: lemming

Re: Last Stand - first test - 11/19/12 18:23

As Uhrwerk said, the mechanics are solid, the game is very hard. Is it supposed to be a template?
And the enemies seem to be very angry at me, because they are even shooting the dead body. ^^
Posted By: 3run

Re: Last Stand - first test - 11/19/12 18:25

Uhrwerk@ no, they are not (even if it looks like they are), sometimes, they even kill each other (they are very depressive) laugh Thank you for kind words. About the sounds, yes, they are taken from HL2, that's why I ask people to do not use any kind of resources you can find in this project, they aren't made by me (models, sounds, sprites) and I don't claim they copyrights. I only used them as a placeholders for testing purpose (cause I'm not an artist etc).

lemming@ thank you for your feedback mate laugh and yeah, this is my first shooter template, on which I've been working on for last few days. This bastards are very angry, you are right grin About AI, I've reduced number of enemies from 7 to 3, cause I've found that map is too small to escape from them, at once I even tested it with 40 bots, that was a massacre grin

I have small game idea in my head, on how to use this template.. BTW, those green and red points are the traces, which where used for an obstacle avoidance. Demo runs in debug mode, that's why all stuff are visible (trace end points, fps, nodes).

Re: Last Stand - first test - 11/19/12 20:01

Ok, I really was under the impression they were cooperating. Sometimes they all three were firing at my dead body, but not on each other.

Two other things: you should add feedback, when the player dies and when a bot dies. At the moment you shoot far too long because you didn't notice you already died. The same for the bots. You shoot at them longer than required because its hard to see when they die.

Re: Last Stand - first test - 11/19/12 20:11

Uhrwerk@ yeah, in that case, you can really say that they are cooperating to kill you grin Cause they do they best, to rich you as soon as possible, to punch all health points out of you laugh About shooting each other, they don't detect each other as an obstacles, so they walk directly to the player, when one bot overlaps the way for another one (my English sucks grin ), at that time, the one behind starts shooting (as if he could see player directly) and his bullets, can hurt friendly bot laugh About feedback, as you see, for visuals I use bounding box models (which I use for collusions), I'm planning to make it invisible, and add "ghost" models for visual performance (animations, etc). Maybe that is what you call feedback? Or, what you've meant? laugh

Re: Last Stand - first test - 11/19/12 20:21

For example. Even a deathsound would be helpfull.

Re: Last Stand - first test - 11/19/12 20:23

Ok, I'll add them in next update laugh I just didn't think about such stuff at all for this basic demo laugh Thank you once again laugh
Posted By: rayp

Re: Last Stand - first test - 11/19/12 20:40

As always nice but as said already, too hard to play grin

Solid movement. And iam glad to see the "Mighty Foot" is back grin
Keep it up !

Which pathfinding did u use ? Iam really interested in this point.
greets

Re: Last Stand - first test - 11/19/12 20:44

Yeah, it's hard to play, I know grin But it's very flexible to adjust difficulty laugh
Here is the thread of the pathfinding:
Download link
Thank you for kind words laugh

Re: Last Stand - first test - 11/19/12 20:46

Thank you for listen to my "nice words" grin
Thanks for that link. Ill look into, was it easy to implement or a brain f* ?

btw will u share this template? just interested.

Re: Last Stand - first test - 11/19/12 20:51

This template is for personal use, maybe I'll sell it in the future, if anyone gets interested, but for now, I'm not going to share it. About pathfinding, it was really easy to use, but it isn't that flexible (cause all of the main functions, called from the .dll). I couldn't for example make enemies flee, but searching the fairest from player node, which would be near enemy and couldn't see player.

Re: Last Stand - first test - 11/19/12 20:59

Maybe u could define a few flee-pathes. So they randomly took one (with a simple path script)...but i guess this wont look good in many cases (they will stuck on many corners fex).

"and couldnt see player"
Do u mean they were close, but did not see the player ? If so, u could combine a vec_dist with a c_trace...just a quick idea (first vec_dist, if player is close try to trace him [infront fex]).

Well, as i said already keep it up please.

Re: Last Stand - first test - 11/19/12 21:07

No, problem is, that I need to define path to move away from the player, and I can't define position via pathfinding, sure, I could use script to create model somewhere behind the enemy, which doesn't see player, and then mode enemy to it, but that would be slower than using pathfinding method that I have in my head.
"and couldnt see player"
I meant the node, which is far from player, doesn't see hit (so when bot will rich it, he'll be safe). Thank you for ideas anyway, I want to create cover system, and maybe it will help me to make bots flee away. I'll keep this up, hell yeah laugh

Re: Last Stand - first test - 11/19/12 21:12

Ah ok.
Yes this vec_dist-c_trace idea might be usefull in a cover system. ^^
guess the fastest way (faster than c_scan), i know ure a framespersecond-speed-freak like me grin

till then
greets
Posted By: Realspawn

Re: Last Stand - first test - 11/20/12 01:02

as usual great stuff laugh
Posted By: painkiller

Re: Last Stand - first test - 11/20/12 15:29

wow feels awesome, the camera effects are really nice, but as others said, it's very difficult to play, I could barely kill one enemy each time before dying grin

Re: Last Stand - first test - 11/20/12 17:04

thank you guys, for your feedbacks and kind words, I'll make it a little bit easier to play and I'll death evidences (sound etc) laugh If you have any other ideas, let me know please.

Re: Last Stand - first test - 11/20/12 17:25

Here is one: Sometimes the bots spawn behind you or at your side. The bad thing about this is that you don't notice that until they are killing you. Maybe a spawn sound would fix that.

Re: Last Stand - first test - 11/20/12 17:31

Uhrwerk@ that will depend on the type of the game, which I'll be going to create with this template. For example, may be I'll want them to respawn at some positions far from player and which aren't visible by him. For example, behind walls, to player don't see how bots where created, but if I'm going to create any kind of deathmatch game, sure, then I'll need to create some nice sounds for respawn, I will even develop your idea farther and create some respawn effect around bots, but that will depend on the game itself, not particular this small demo laugh Thank you mate, your ideas are awesome!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Last Stand - first test - 11/21/12 06:40

I really like the small wip demo. It feels very polished and i also like the physics and the camera-effect when you are dead laugh

Re: Last Stand - first test - 11/21/12 08:40

chris_oat@ thank you mate laugh
Posted By: Superku

Re: Last Stand - first test - 11/21/12 17:21

Just tested the demo. The mechanics are fantastic, I think it's the best shooter approach I've ever seen on this forum! You can really feel and see the effect of your weapon, good work! The particle effects are great, too, and the physics effects are... well effective.
Some minor points:
- The sounds are way too loud, had to lower my volume control from 20 to 4/100 so it didn't hurt my ears but maybe it's just me.
- You could add a subtle head bobbing, currently it feels like the player is floating, not walking/ running.
- After a few respawns the player's laserpointer lagged a few frames behind.

Re: Last Stand - first test - 11/21/12 18:32

Superku@ Thank you my friend for your kind words and for testing it laugh Yeah, I know about that laser "lagging" problem, but to be honest, I don't really know what causes it.. The code itself is clear, and sometimes I can't really recreate this problem.. About sounds, as I'll add menu system, everyone will be able to adjust volume of sounds laugh Currently, I didn't even think about it yet laugh About head bobbing, I'll add one laugh Nice idea, thank you.

Re: Last Stand - first test - 12/18/12 18:06

As I was asked for this, I've reuploaded this demo. And download link was fixed on the first post! Please share your feelings about this project.
Posted By: Ch40zzC0d3r

Re: Last Stand - first test - 12/19/12 14:38

How did you make the flying bullets or shoots?
Looks like a sprite but you didnt use one shocked
Looks very good, I would be glad about a lil share grin

Re: Last Stand - first test - 01/28/13 01:49

Ch40zzC0d3r@ if you mean bullet effects, I used solution, posted by Superku some time ago, via particles and a single trace.
© 2024 lite-C Forums