theFamily [scaryGameEntry]

Posted By: darkinferno

theFamily [scaryGameEntry] - 07/06/11 05:51

A simple game that took me about 4 days to make, basically for gamestudio member mercuryus' scary game contest.

theFamily_download1 HERE or theFamily_download2 HERE or theFamily_download3 HERE

AND A YOUTUBE VIDEO HERE

HOW TO PLAY:
WASD - movement
MOUSE - look around
mouse left - fire soul disharger
key 1 - switch between soul dischargers

SOUL DISCHARGERS:
soul machine gun
- releases small concentrated amounts of the users soul at high speeds but also increases your soul for each successful hit.
soul canon - releases a more unstable amount of soul energy and can be used to rip through walls, be careful what you shoot with it, the result might be regrettable

NAVIGATION:
- make your way to the marker onscreen, check the different paths and try to find the quickest way to save him. there is NO perfect route, the map changes everytime you play, you'll experience different things each time also
- as you walk you'll crack the floor below you, this will allow you to know where you have been before
- use the SOUL CANON to break walls if you cant find a good enough route, just be careful not to drain your own soul too much
- watch out for missing ground, you lose your soul if you miss a step

ENDINGS:
The game as two endings thats all i will say on it, you'll have to figure it out

CREDITS:
- lostZac: dungeon generator
- Otter: simpleSid model converted to DarkSid
- Boh_Havoc: ShadeC
- Me, Me, ME laugh

STORY:
An empty house, wolves seem to have taken a liking to it, noone goes there anymore, noone wants to buy it, it just.. sits there.

Mother, father, son, it seems something happened to this family that isnt quite clear, rumors revolve around a family massacre by a psychotic father but some say that the mother was involved in ... things that shouldnt be discussed, all that is sure is that the young boy that died was stuck between both parents, one seeking good, the other seeking disturbing pleasures. The rumors simply try to point the blame at whichever parent but the main point is ... that little child was stuck between the two, we can only hope he made it safely to the other side ...

THE FAMILY

powered by: acknexA7extended

Posted By: chrisp1

Re: theFamily [scaryGameEntry] - 07/06/11 14:07

everytime I start the game it crashes frown

Re: theFamily [scaryGameEntry] - 07/06/11 14:29

darn, does anyone have similar errors ? let me know asap

[its always a pain to fix bugs that dont occur on the dev pc]
Posted By: Quad

Re: theFamily [scaryGameEntry] - 07/06/11 14:55

this may help: when i change resolution before i start, it does not crash. If i start without changing resolution it crashes.
Posted By: painkiller

Re: theFamily [scaryGameEntry] - 07/06/11 14:56

It also crashes for me, changing and not changing resolution
Posted By: mk_1

Re: theFamily [scaryGameEntry] - 07/06/11 15:09

+1
Posted By: Otter

Re: theFamily [scaryGameEntry] - 07/06/11 15:17

No crash for me, but this result.

By the way: This monster attacks are really REALLY scary. eek
BRAVO!!

Re: theFamily [scaryGameEntry] - 07/06/11 15:49

[and thanks otter, btw, everything in the game is random so even i get startled at times]

first suggestion:

can you guys try copying D3DCompiler_42.dll, d3dx9_30.dll and d3dx9_42.dll over from the gamestudio folder into the games folder and see if that helps please ?
Posted By: Hummel

Re: theFamily [scaryGameEntry] - 07/06/11 16:09

Doesnt crash here, nice game. The wolves look more like foxes. tongue

Re: theFamily [scaryGameEntry] - 07/06/11 16:31

^^ lol lack ok resources = use what i got xD

[SPOILER]
oh btw hummel, try shooting DarkSid with the soulCanon wink
Posted By: painkiller

Re: theFamily [scaryGameEntry] - 07/06/11 16:33

still crashes for me

Re: theFamily [scaryGameEntry] - 07/06/11 16:58

looking into it, shadeC is still in beta afterall

Re: theFamily [scaryGameEntry] - 07/06/11 18:20

the prior download links have been changed and contains a fix file, for those whom it crashed for, please redownload from the prior links, thanks

theFamily_download1 HERE or theFamily_download2 HERE or theFamily_download3 HERE

Re: theFamily [scaryGameEntry] - 07/06/11 20:35

ok for those that havent tried or had crashes, please give the game a look now and give me some feedback ...

just remove the DELETE_THIS_FILE_IF_CRASHES file from the folder and it should be fine
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: theFamily [scaryGameEntry] - 07/06/11 20:47

I'm giving it a go. I get a crash when I try to start at 1280x1024. I can play it at a lower resolution, though. Are there settings or something? The mouse sensitivity is way too high for me.

Jibb
Click to reveal..
EDIT: Really cool lighting effect at the end!

Posted By: Quad

Re: theFamily [scaryGameEntry] - 07/06/11 20:51

runs fine here
Posted By: alibaba

Re: theFamily [scaryGameEntry] - 07/06/11 21:29

Cool Endings, i got both of them grin

It crashed most of the times. IŽll try your fix.

Re: theFamily [scaryGameEntry] - 07/06/11 21:58

yes i'm evaluating the cause of the crash, it seems that "fix" i had in mind, doesnt work, so i'm reuploading a version without SSAO, for some reason that SEEMS to be the cause of the crash, am not totally sure yet though, ok new downloads:

Posted By: Myrkling

Re: theFamily [scaryGameEntry] - 07/06/11 22:39

All versions crash here while the game loads (after pressing enter).

First version: Game crashes with and without deleting the file "DELETE_THIS_FILE_IF_CRASHES".
When the file is deleted, the following error occurs: "Error 1514: Invalid pointer or handle in"

Second version (without SSAO): The following error occurs when the game starts: "Error E155: Can't open mouse device".
The start screen is displayed nevertheless, but after pressing enter the game crashes.

Re: theFamily [scaryGameEntry] - 07/06/11 23:02

ok thanks am really looking into this.. i hope to get you guys all a better version, this is also a test for my other games so i can know where problems lie, so fixing this is imperative
Posted By: bart_the_13th

Re: theFamily [scaryGameEntry] - 07/07/11 05:11

Working fine to me grin
Quite nice, I mean, scary game. I like the ending, nice lighting effect. I just wish that I can restart the game after having gameover or completing the game instead of kicked out of the game.

Re: theFamily [scaryGameEntry] - 07/07/11 05:58

did you get both endings ?
Posted By: bart_the_13th

Re: theFamily [scaryGameEntry] - 07/07/11 06:01

Not yet, just the one that send me flying between the lights from above *oops, spoiler* grin

Re: theFamily [scaryGameEntry] - 07/07/11 23:09

heres a gameplay video of theFamily for those who havent played it, i died in this one however grin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY4yDPsiAl4
Posted By: ratchet

Re: theFamily [scaryGameEntry] - 07/10/11 08:02

@DarkInferno :
I really like a lot the originla character icon on screen telling a intriguing story as you play.
A little like Bioshock, it bringslot of life and immersion.
Ypu've made the game simple for the contest, but if you developped the game with real level design, weapons ,ennemies,puzzles (physics ??) you'll got a winner laugh

Anyway, great little game ideas and original atmosphear !

Re: theFamily [scaryGameEntry] - 07/10/11 08:26

yes ive heard others say the concept is good, but i dont have much time to look into it, maybe one day wink
© 2024 lite-C Forums