Superku: Skate with online multiplayer, now with new DEMO !

Posted By: Superku

Superku: Skate with online multiplayer, now with new DEMO ! - 12/12/10 03:03

Hi, folks!
I want to show you something I've been working on lately, a side-scrolling multiplayer skateboarding game. I have written the code some months ago, but today I've decided to implement a basic multiplayer code. It's nothing special yet, many things are missing (enemy's animations, ...), but it's working and I think it's quite enjoyable.

(gameplay only, no graphics)

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V91Z83M4--M

Some information:
Click to reveal..
Goal: Join the server anytime ('unlimited' clients) and get the highest combo score in 3 minutes. After the time runs out, the round will restart.
If you are familiar with Trackmania, you'll know the deal.
The chat system is based on Michael_Schwarz's code.
Controls are simple, in fact they are "the same" as in my Superku side-scroller because the Skate singleplayer version will be a minigame in my platformer:
Hold [S] to grind, wallride, spine transfer and wallplant, [D] to kickflip and indy.
Uses native gamestudio multiplayer functions, no DLL/ plug-in.

Server is: See latest post for demo and server information.

Re: Superku: Skate v0.2 with online multiplayer, now with DEMO ! - 12/12/10 15:39

I've added a demo link, please give it a try!
Posted By: 3run

Re: Superku: Skate v0.2 with online multiplayer, now with DEMO ! - 12/12/10 15:49

Bro, I'm having problems with downloading... It says 'error 404'.

Re: Superku: Skate v0.2 with online multiplayer, now with DEMO ! - 12/12/10 15:51

Now it's working! wink

Re: Superku: Skate v0.2 with online multiplayer, now with DEMO ! - 12/12/10 15:58

Dude, I'm on-line, where are you?
Posted By: MTD

Re: Superku: Skate v0.2 with online multiplayer, now with DEMO ! - 12/12/10 16:25

Nice Game... Keep it up

Re: Superku: Skate v0.2 with online multiplayer, now with DEMO ! - 12/12/10 16:26

Sorry guys, I've accidently limited the number of clients. frown

Re: Superku: Skate v0.2 with online multiplayer, now with DEMO ! - 12/12/10 16:41

I love it laugh
Posted By: painkiller

Re: Superku: Skate v0.2 with online multiplayer, now with DEMO ! - 12/12/10 16:45

really great and fun laugh
Posted By: chrisp1

Re: Superku: Skate v0.2 with online multiplayer, now with DEMO ! - 12/12/10 19:20

best online game ever laugh
Posted By: ratchet

Re: Superku: Skate v0.2 with online multiplayer, now with DEMO ! - 12/12/10 19:26

Great casual game laugh
Seem lot of fun.

How do you have managed physics ? written by you with simple collisions ?

Re: Superku: Skate v0.2 with online multiplayer, now with DEMO ! - 12/12/10 22:47

Thank you all for testing. chdcchris got the highest combo so far with more than 3,600,000 points.

Server is: OFFLINE (developing new version)
Posted By: ChdcChris

Re: Superku: Skate v0.2 with online multiplayer, now with DEMO ! - 12/13/10 19:03

Awesome game!!!

Re: Superku: Skate v0.2 with online multiplayer, now with DEMO ! - 12/13/10 20:32

New Demo: [removed]

Server: OFFLINE (developing new version/ fixing bugs)

What's new?
- slots for 16 players! (so everybody: join!)
- usage of physX engine
- thus a bigger level
- improved chat
- some fixed bugs
- better animations for other players (the traffic has increased a bit, but it should still be nicely playable).
- pipes at different height give you a speed boost when you do a spine transfer (hold [S] in the pipe)
- kickers (ramps) give you a small but noticeable speed boost when you jump off them
- the highscore list gets sorted automatically
- cleaner HUD
- when you fall multiple times in the quarterpipe because of bad timing, next time the skater will turn green/ red to indicate the correct landing angle (toggle this help feature with [1])
Posted By: alibaba

Re: Superku: Skate v0.2 with online multiplayer, now with DEMO ! - 12/13/10 21:30

Best Game and best Gameplay ever!!! grin
This game is freakin´ fun!!
You have to play it!
It´s thousand times better than tony hawx!

Thank you Superku for these funny minutes laugh
Posted By: MrGuest

Re: Superku: Skate v0.2 with online multiplayer, now with DEMO ! - 12/13/10 22:16

Great fun, though I think ChdcChris has some kind of secret combo command! grin
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: Superku: Skate v0.2 with online multiplayer, now with DEMO ! - 12/13/10 22:20

Very cool game laugh

Jibb
Posted By: ChdcChris

Re: Superku: Skate v0.2 with online multiplayer, now with DEMO ! - 12/13/10 22:41

Originally Posted By: MrGuest
Great fun, though I think ChdcChris has some kind of secret combo command! grin

Hehe tongue Nah i'm just a Thps veteran.

Re: Superku: Skate v0.2 with online multiplayer, now with DEMO ! - 12/15/10 16:40

Hey why you deleted the file . I also want to download version 0.25

Re: Superku: Skate v0.2 with online multiplayer, now with DEMO ! - 12/15/10 19:08

There's a new demo: Sorry, level change does not work in multiplayer! frown Here's the new version without level change (sorry) :
http://www.superku.de/skatev03e.cd.zip (You will need exactly "v0.3e" to connect to the server.)

Server is: OFFLINE - IP: superku.no-ip.org

What's new?

- Configurable key setup with full Gamepad support.
- Help/ options panel on [F1].
- Support for multiple levels.(Not today.)
- Play and stop music with [2].
- Some bugfixes.
- Improved and fluent animations. (That was the most work in this update.)
- Although I've reduced the traffic by ~40% per player, the movement is much smoother now.
- The game remembers the last IP and name that you've entered.
- Two new flip tricks and "Acid Drop". Hold [GRIND] when you jump across a pipe (without doing a trick) to drop down into the pipe.
- You can now use the spine transfer to reach pipes that are above your player.
- Some admin features (like kicking/ spectating players).

Re: Superku: Skate v0.2 with online multiplayer, now with DEMO ! - 12/15/10 19:13

WOW NICE UPDATE SUPERKU tongue

Do you have a server at the moment ?
And why i dont here any music ?????????(i think you are fixing)

Edit: Awesome secret area at map 1 laugh
Edit2 : there is another one in the wall over the ramps in map 2
but i cant get there its to hard

Re: Superku: Skate v0.2 with online multiplayer, now with DEMO ! - 12/15/10 19:51

Thanks.
I don't know why you don't hear the music, can you play the *.mp3 files manually?

Quote:
Edit2 : there is another one in the wall over the ramps in map 2 but i cant get there its to hard

Use alternating wallplants! wink

Re: Superku: Skate v0.2 with online multiplayer, now with DEMO ! - 12/15/10 20:01

Where is the donwload link ?
And of course the level change works.

Re: Superku: Skate v0.2 with online multiplayer, now with DEMO ! - 12/15/10 20:06

No, the level change did not work in multiplayer and it still doesn't, so I have deactivated it for today. Sorry, guys.

Download new demo here: http://www.superku.de/skatev03e.cd.zip (You will need exactly this version "0.3e" to connect to the server.)

Re: Superku: Skate v0.2 with online multiplayer, now with DEMO ! - 12/15/10 20:16

frown hey and superku i found out how to come to the 2. secret area. Nice way to get there laugh

Re: Superku: Skate v0.2 with online multiplayer, now with DEMO ! - 12/15/10 20:47

I always get kicked? Whats the problem?

Re: Superku: Skate v0.2 with online multiplayer, now with DEMO ! - 12/15/10 20:49

Quote:
I always get kicked? Whats the problem?

Sounds like a timeout problem, I will check & fix that.

Re: Superku: Skate v0.2 with online multiplayer, now with DEMO ! - 12/15/10 20:53

ok thanks laugh

Re: Superku: Skate v0.2 with online multiplayer, now with DEMO ! - 12/15/10 20:54

I hope there will be a version with working level change soon laugh
Posted By: darkinferno

Re: Superku: Skate v0.2 with online multiplayer, now with DEMO ! - 12/16/10 20:07

so the level changing is a engine bug?

Re: Superku: Skate v0.2 with online multiplayer, now with DEMO ! - 12/16/10 20:49

Upps, I got it now laugh

Re: Superku: Skate v0.2 with online multiplayer, now with DEMO ! - 12/17/10 12:49

Quote:
so the level changing is a engine bug?

No, I think it's just some mistakes I've made in my code.
The next version will take some time, sorry guys.

Re: Superku: Skate v0.2 with online multiplayer, now with DEMO ! - 12/17/10 20:51

wow jetzt könnte ich mich schon fast superkus bugfinder nennen. Hey Superku ich hab schon wieder 2 Gefunden .
Bug 1 : Fährt man in deiner Welt die Rail runter und springt dann genau so ab , das man unten in die rail springt , so fliegt man oben durch die mauer weil man mit so viel schwung in die rail fährt.

Bug 2 : Macht man einen manuel , lässt diesen in den roten bereich und mancht kurz davor einen Wallplant , so ist das Bord beim Wallplant auch schief

Edit : Hab noch einen 3. Bug
Bug 3 : Beim Localen spiel hängt sich der Computer auf . Das schreit schon fast nach einem vergessenen wait(1);

Re: Superku: Skate v0.2 with online multiplayer, now with DEMO ! - 12/17/10 21:50

Danke für die Bug-Reports.

Quote:
Bug 1 : Fährt man in deiner Welt die Rail runter und springt dann genau so ab , das man unten in die rail springt , so fliegt man oben durch die mauer weil man mit so viel schwung in die rail fährt.

Erkläre das Problem bitte noch einmal genauer. Im 1. Level? Ganz rechts? Und was meinst du mit "durch die Mauer"?

zu 2) Ok ist gefixt!

zu 3) Mit Local war LAN gemeint. Möchtest du solo spielen, so solltest du Server anklicken. Klickst du auf Local, versucht sich das Programm, 10 Sek. mit einem Server zu verbinden, daher der Stillstand.

Re: Superku: Skate v0.2 with online multiplayer, now with DEMO ! - 12/18/10 11:25

Acsho bug 3 ist also kein bug . Und bei bug 1 habe ich irgendwie einen mist geschrieben . Ich meinte natürlich :
Bug 1 : Fährt man in deiner 2. Welt die Rail runter und springt dann genau so ab , das man unten in die Rampe springt , so wird man mit großer geschwindigkeit oben durch die Mauer in den Geheimraum geschossen und fällt anschliesend wieder durch diese runter und wieder in die Rampe.
Das heißt soviel wie : Ist man in einer Rampe so kann man mit großer Geschwindigkeit durch die Decke und anschlißend wieder zurück fliegen. Ich hoffe du hast jetzt verstanden was ich meine laugh

Skate v0.35 demo - 12/18/10 13:57

Thanks chrisp1, the bug has been fixed!

A new demo is here: http://www.superku.de/skatev035.zip

Server is: OFFLINE - because it crashes randomly

What's new?
- Levelchange should work now.
- Big thanks to JustSid for the serverlist-code, you do not have to enter IPs anymore.
- The skaters now wear coloured sombreros to identify other players easily.
- You can now do flip and grab tricks independently using two different keys (press [F1] for in-game-help), thus you can do flip tricks in the quarterpipe, too.
- Improved gameplay and many bugfixes, full gamepad support.
- When you get disconnected from the server, you will now know if you either have been kicked (with/ without reason) or the server was shut down.

Re: Skate v0.35 demo - 12/18/10 14:28

Nettes update superku. Ich werde wieder mal versuchen alle bugs zu finden laugh

Re: Skate v0.35 demo - 12/18/10 15:05

The game seems to crash randomly in client-mode.
I ask everyone who has experienced a crash to post the circumstances (when did it happen, was there an error message, maybe even the OS).

Thanks!

Re: Skate v0.35 demo - 12/18/10 15:24

Hm es passiert entweder wenn man rausgeht und dann wieder rein oder manchmal auch so . Hm mein Betribsystem ist Win 7 64 bit. Ach ja und es kommt keine error message. Es friert ein

Du könntest ja mal eine 3. Welt in den nächsten release packen.
Du solltest irgendwie eine Map machen wie bei anderen Skatespielen, wo oben ein Park oder etwas anderes ist und du dann durch eine Art kanaldeckel nach unten kannst
So in etwa :

Posted By: Memorix101

Re: Superku: Skate v0.2 with online multiplayer, now with DEMO ! - 12/19/10 18:47

Its Like LittleBigPlanet ?!

Skate v0.38 Christmas demo - 12/24/10 16:03

A new skate demo has arrived, play it if you have to waste some http://www.opserver.de/ubb7/images/markup_panel/default/bigger.giftime like me before it's later in the evening.

Download here:
http://www.superku.de/skatev038.zip

Server is: OFFLINE

What's new?
- Skater girls! wink
- Two new (test) levels (the 3rd is based on chrisp1's idea).
- The 4th level is not about big combos, it's a race to the finish!
- A completely new server code. It's much faster now in big levels.
- A new dead reckoning algorithm for smoother client movement.

Quote:
Its Like LittleBigPlanet ?!

Hm I don't think there are any similarities.

Re: Skate v0.38 Christmas demo - 12/24/10 17:06

I cant connect >.<
Posted By: Germanunkol

Re: Skate v0.38 Christmas demo - 12/24/10 17:36

neither can I.
hangs at "connecting... status: 0"
Posted By: Roel

Re: Skate v0.38 Christmas demo - 12/24/10 17:44

same story here,
I have disabled the firewall, but it doesn't help

Re: Skate v0.38 Christmas demo - 12/24/10 18:37

Sorry guys, I've started the server on a different computer, I could not even connect locally (firewall or router problem (?)).

Re: Skate v0.38 Christmas demo - 12/24/10 18:49

Me too, i started a private server and can not connect on my own pc frown

Re: Skate v0.38 Christmas demo - 12/25/10 17:04

Hm because no one speaks german here i also try to speak english.
1. Thanks , that you thought about my suggest Superku laugh.
2. Hm why the server doesnt work ?
3. You should make the third map a little bit bigger
Posted By: Rackscha

Re: Skate v0.38 Christmas demo - 12/26/10 21:53

CREATED a Server. Join if you want.
Online for 30Min/1Hour from NOW wink

EDit: Server Closed wink

GReetings
Rackscha

Re: Skate v0.38 Christmas demo - 01/07/11 20:05

I cant play . The Error Message says my version is outdated but there is no new version .

Re: Skate v0.38 Christmas demo - 01/07/11 23:29

I'm sorry, there is no new version, yet. (Don't expect it to come soon.)
© 2024 lite-C Forums