GRAVITY

Posted By: 3run

GRAVITY - 04/30/10 18:02

Just free little game for fun made by me, but not finished. Game is about small alien, whitcj was captured by humans, and they whant to exam aliens IQ, thats why he have to deal with puzzles))) Not all script is mine, I took as an examples some scripts from other users snipets, but main script was made by me. I made whis small game that containce only one level now, in 2 evenings of the weekend))) If you really like it, I'll just continue making some other levels))) but I'm too busy with my studies, thats why there is only one level for now))) Controls is simple key_cul-key_cur for moving left-right, space key is for toggling gravity and if you need R for restarting level)) there are some bugs, I'm sure))) but while playing there is no such problems)) You may not use any pices of script of this project!!! If you whant to, PM me. Box, turrent and portal models made by me, Alien and Deamon models are not mine, textures for my models where taken from standart.wad. You can use models made by me in your non commercial projects. You can't use any of sounds from this game! Music and sounds are not made by me. Enjoy and have fun laugh Sorry for my bad English))) DOWNLOADLINK
Posted By: Superku

Re: GRAVITY - 04/30/10 18:33

You must be kidding me...

Re: GRAVITY - 04/30/10 18:41

What you mean by kidding you? Yes I used your deamond models, if you want me to, I can replace them, I used it just because my project is not commercail.
Posted By: Walori

Re: GRAVITY - 05/01/10 06:51

A good start howevever few points;

1)if the crate gets pushed to the corner it's impossible to get it from there.

2)Turrets should really be dangerous, do they even aim with vertical axis?

Other than that a good game, I was amazed that something actually works on my notebook smooth. Couple hints about coding: Try to make general style functions for doors if you continue like you've done before it may be frustrating (in the end (and resulting propably to unneeded code).

Re: GRAVITY - 05/01/10 08:19

Thank you for kind words laugh about box, I can add pulling action to player, but don't want to laugh player must think about every action he make, if mistake was made, there is a restart button laugh it will restart each level from the beginig laugh and first level was made easy way, level is very simple and easy to finish, because player just getting started with game, thats why the turrent is not that dangerous laugh I've made turrent that can aim in any directions, so if alien get too clouse he'll get shoot any way, also there are a simple bots that patrol some areas, and shoot alien if he is visible and so on, I just didn't use all them in the first level laugh it shows only 60 % of all available functions of game laugh I'm happy to hear that you liked my game laugh about the frame rate, I'm working on very weak notebook, thats why the I care about frame rate laugh and I'm trying to get it as high as it is possible. Thank you for advice about doors, I'll do my best wink and for thouse how make himself foundator of changing gravity idea, I took it from game vvvvvv. You can search for it. It's really great retro-style platformer.

Re: GRAVITY - 05/01/10 10:08

Download link is updated wink
Posted By: Hummel

Re: GRAVITY - 05/01/10 11:48

There were indeed some movement and gameplay inaccuracies.
When I push the box in the wrong direction to the wall I have to restart the level because
I cant move it to the right place anymore.
Also when I move through a portal I expect that Iīll leave another one and dont
get placed in the middel of a room. There is no sense that Iīve to reach (the center of) a box
to get teleported to the next level.
Such simple games shouldnīt require any explanations. As long as they need - they arnīt good.
I dont like that game style. Even the first Mario game for gameboy had a better
design and it runs 10000 times faster (I think I already mentioned this in an other projects-thread).
However, dont forget that you arenīt allowed to use
other peopleīs game content in projects as long as they didnīt give the permission
to use their stuff for free.

PS: never saw someone using so many simleys in a single post, you must be the
pure sunshine in person

Re: GRAVITY - 05/01/10 12:12

This is "Untitled Platformer"'s prototype developed by George.
Let us compare:

George (there are crates, too):

3run:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

George:
if ((vec_dist (player.x, my.x) < 90) && (abs(my.z - player.z) < 50))
{
temp.x = (my.x - player.x) * 0.5 * time_step; // the movement speed depends on the distance between the player and the box
}

3run:
if ((vec_dist (player.x, my.x) < 55) && (abs(my.z - player.z) < 55)) {
create_m.x = (my.x - player.x) * 0.4 * time_step;
}

"Not all script is mine, I took as an examples some scripts from other users snipets, but main script was made by me. [...] You may not use any pices of script of this project!!!"

EDIT: It's okay to modify someone's work but to present it here and claim it to be your work, I don't like that.

Re: GRAVITY - 05/01/10 13:15

the style and design of Georgeīs project also benefits from using 3d geometrie -> much more professional wink

Re: GRAVITY - 05/01/10 13:47

I didn't really took an idea of George's project, and I'M NOT CLAIMING THAT GEORGES WORK IS MINE!!! As I sad, I took as an example some of snipets, Georges box pushing is one of them! And I'm saying that no one can use it from my project! Players movement code, turrents, portals, doors are made by ME!!! And to be honest, I've played Superku sidescroller from the one of the last AUM's, but I stuked at the second level, because I got problems with boxes! You are not right guys... only thing I took is an idea with gravity, but not from Georges project, from game VVVVVV as I sad above. I can say the same way, that YOU superku took an idea of gravity changing in your sidescroller from that game too! But having the same idea in your game doesn't mean that you've stolen it or something! And I'm not a desingner, for me level design is not that important now! Explanations need in the first level, if you Hummel do not think that way, thats just your problem. And about smiles, Hummel yes I very kind person, and I'm really pure sunshine person. But looks like your problem is that you are not... And I do not know why, but I'm really happy that you Hummel do not like my game! laugh

Re: GRAVITY - 05/01/10 14:47

I also gave some constructive criticisms before my provocations wink

Re: GRAVITY - 05/01/10 14:50

Yep, that is right. But your constructive criticisms were not accepted! tongue
Posted By: Quad

Re: GRAVITY - 05/01/10 15:04

then do not ask for criticism and dont make threads about your projects. thanks.

Re: GRAVITY - 05/01/10 15:08

Do not ask for bad words that can be aimed to you and do not make posts in this forum. thanks

Re: GRAVITY - 05/01/10 15:21

Originally Posted By: 3run
NEVER ARGUE WITH A FOOLS. PROVOKING YOU TO THE DISPUTE, THEY LOWER YOU TO THEY LEVEL. JUST IGNORE THEM.

why didnīt you 'just ignore' me? tongue

Re: GRAVITY - 05/01/10 15:24

Because I belive that you are not fool... and deep inside you are just same pure sunshine person as me grin

Re: GRAVITY - 05/01/10 15:30

now this discussion goes in the wrong direction frown
cīmon, say something evil!

Re: GRAVITY - 05/01/10 15:37

Nope laugh have you forgot? I'm pure sunshine person laugh And any way, topic is about game! Not about our disput. So peoples, or you just do not make any post again! Or talk about game please. thanks

Re: GRAVITY - 05/01/10 15:52

what do you expect mr. sunshine? to give us criticism to your project just to hear that you do not accept it? wink

Re: GRAVITY - 05/01/10 16:57

To all your funny criticism I allready replyed with same answers wink Thank you for mr.sunshine blush you are so kind person, you just as Hummel so kind and deep in side you are aslo I do hope just pure sunshine person grin And please stop dispute! laugh

Re: GRAVITY - 05/01/10 17:07

laugh you are funny, alright, no dispute.

Re: GRAVITY - 05/01/10 17:24

Thank you, really I'm not joking.

Re: GRAVITY - 05/01/10 19:10

you should be really grateful laugh for getting responses related to your project anyway...what do you think could be done better? (I ask YOU in YOUR thread since you did not accepted MY criticism)

Re: GRAVITY - 05/01/10 21:40

You can check out Super Mario Galaxy, sometimes there are areas with predetermined gravity indicated by arrows (and colour). I think this would fit nicely.

Re: GRAVITY - 05/02/10 19:24

Thank you all! frown Now because of your stupid and fool arguments every one thinks that my game is just silly copy of "Georges great project"... If there is same idea with gravity and my player can also push boxes, why does it mean that my game is a copy? There are only 3 things that you can say that is same with his game, camera, gravity and pushing boxes... But that is so stupid... Tell me is there any puzzle in his game when player need to open door by pressing and pushing buttons with boxes? With laser that can kill player? With turrents? With zombies that patrol some places in level? Is there any portals? You all think like a kids...thank you for killing my little project... Looks like there is some just great community here...
Posted By: Uhrwerk

Re: GRAVITY - 05/02/10 19:28

Why are you whining? You posted in the showcase forum. That means you will get critics. If you don't get along with that you shouldn't post here.

Apropos "thinking like a kid":
Quote:
thank you for killing my little project

That's truely like an adult. Get some negative feedback and then say "It's your fault that it didn't work". Improve it!

Re: GRAVITY - 05/02/10 19:36

Right, we are the reason why nobody else responses to your project and Iīm absolutely sure that player killing lasers and button pushing are already
planed for Georgeīs project and you stole this INNOVATIVE ideas also!

Re: GRAVITY - 05/02/10 19:45

Critics must be motivated, just saying that game is a copy is not right. This way my first and last time when I posted any of my projects in this community. If you talk that way, belive me all newbies will keep all they project just on they hard drives, and no one will show it in showcase. And thats all because of your stupid non motivated critics... And yes if that makes you happy you can sad that I've stolen all great and innovative ideas directly from George mind. Only he can create some thing... Every one else is just copying his great games...

Re: GRAVITY - 05/02/10 19:54

And I'm not whining idiot, watch for your words! Whining all you, that saying that I've stole ideas of some ones project!! I never was interested with Georges project! Never even looked in to his topics about his project! How can you sad that I'm thief with out proving any thing? The same way I can sad that all of you thiefs too!! That you all stoling great ideas of professional games like quake, half life, call of duty, counter strike and so on! And thats all because your player can also walk, jump, duck, shoot and so on... Thank you great community
Posted By: alibaba

Re: GRAVITY - 05/02/10 19:58

Cīmon 3run,

Sometimes critism is really hard and you need some time to accept it. But its for your best. We want you to improve your game by telling all the wrong this. even if it sounds hard you have to motivate you yourselve.

not every critism is good. So please dont be afraid.

BTW : I really like your Project.

@All
its his first project so dont be so hard, even if he copies some parts. I think everyone who were the first time here Downloaded EVERYTHING from the AU page and put it togethter to a not working game.

Re: GRAVITY - 05/02/10 20:03

Thank you alibaba. Looks like there is still some good members in this community. Thank you for your words. Critics are ok, by how they dare to call be thief? How can they sad that I.ve stolen everything in my game?! That is not critics, I don't even know how to call that...
Posted By: alibaba

Re: GRAVITY - 05/02/10 20:09

yes youīre right, but somethimes here are so many retards that its hrad to decide what to say.

I think you should forget what happened and you should continue your project, because its a good start. Iīm shure that you will find more ideas and innovative things. Just continue.
And forgive them all and

@all you should apologize for your prejudice.

Re: GRAVITY - 05/02/10 20:20

Thank you again for your kind words bro. I'll do my best.

Re: GRAVITY - 05/02/10 20:32

Originally Posted By: 3run
idiot, watch for your words!

*double-facepalm*

Re: GRAVITY - 05/02/10 20:43

If I could see you whining idiot, belive me I make you spent rest of your days in hospital, without double-facepalm or whatever! And I pretty sure that you wount make your self that kind of strong if we could meet each other.
Posted By: Widi

Re: GRAVITY - 05/02/10 20:50

@3run: how old are you? This is not a answer from a adult.
@all others: Don`t be so hard, that was his first Project. I also take some codesnippet from other peoples here in the Forum or AUM, look how they work and change it to work better for me. That is the Way to learn...

Re: GRAVITY - 05/02/10 21:00

I'm 18 years old, but belive me, the way I'm talking is not because I'm too young or too stupid, english is not my mother language, and I don't know it well, so it is really hard for me to tell you the main point of what I mean. Sorry for that

Re: GRAVITY - 05/02/10 21:21

Just for the case that you didnīt get it: my last post was pure irony
(thatīs that thing were somebody says something and actually means the opposite),
I donīt care a crap where you take your ideas from, in fact you should take a closer look to Georgeīs stuff. You can learn alot from it.
Instead of telling us what a evil community we are you should use the time to
improve your game depending on the criticism you got.
When you still do not accept what I told you it would actually be
better you stop presenting your stuff.

Usually people have to work hard for success and nobody here really case if you donīt want.
You should know what you want by yourself.

Re: GRAVITY - 05/02/10 21:24

You tell me that I should watch my language and at the same time call me "a whining idiot" and that you want to hurt so me so bad I have to go to a hospital? What the heck is wrong with you? Calm down. Take a breath. Seriously, if you post in the showcase forum you'll have to take the criticism stated here. If you can't then I'd recommend not posting here.

@Widi: I really don't think that I was to hard to him. If he posts here he can't expect that everbody says "Wow! Cool! You altered an example from George's AUM. Unbelievable". Regardless if it is his first project or not.

Re: GRAVITY - 05/02/10 21:35

Thank you, but see Hummel, there were no criticism, only words that I've stole from some one something. I'll be happy to hear some words about gameplay and so on. What do I need to improve and what do I need to change. And yes, I didn't get the point of your irony, thats all because of my english. So about criticism, tell of what you liked in my game, and what needs to an improved. That way I can see what I can improve.

Re: GRAVITY - 05/02/10 21:46

Sorry for calling you whining idiot and about hospital, but you should apologize for your words about whining, I'm not whining here, I just can't get the point of criticism. See I just used snippet for moving box, but nothing else, player movement code for example is done by myself only, no one helped me with it, and I didn't you any snippets! And everything else is same done by me. So how can you say that I've stolen something? Only because of using box moving snippet? That is really stupid.
Posted By: YellowAfterlife

Re: GRAVITY - 05/02/10 22:00

It is rather hard to criticize - it has only one level.
The overall feeling of it was nice - things worked fairly smooth, and bugs were not numerous (pressing space near the button results in standing on it upside down; character didn't die from visual hit by turret bullet).
This can turn into a nice puzzle platformer. Just work on it, and make it more colorfull.

Re: GRAVITY - 05/02/10 22:02

Originally Posted By: Hummel
There were indeed some movement and gameplay inaccuracies.
When I push the box in the wrong direction to the wall I have to restart the level because
I cant move it to the right place anymore.
Also when I move through a portal I expect that Iīll leave another one and dont
get placed in the middel of a room. There is no sense that Iīve to reach (the center of) a box
to get teleported to the next level.
Such simple games shouldnīt require any explanations.

The game should respawn the box to the start position when I moved it to a place form where I canīt push it anymore to the switch.
When you dont let the player leaving an exit door after moving through a portal
there should be at least some kind of effect around the player as indicator for
the teleporting. Instead of an huge box as level target it would be better to
use another portal with a special look.
Such games have to be self-explanatory. To reach that add real button models for
your switches and tubes instead of arrows as indicator for an hole in the wall.

Re: GRAVITY - 05/02/10 22:05

Thank you laugh happy to hear that you like it. I'll do my best! wink I'll add some levels and bug fixes in next version wink

Re: GRAVITY - 05/02/10 22:13

Hummel thank you too laugh as I already sad, you are really pure sunshine person, and I'm serious laugh tell me more about tubes that I've to use instead of arrays. Explain it more laugh I think I'll just add some pulling action to player for boxes. And and yes there will be some particles for portals laugh I just have some troubles with making really good looking particles laugh and in final version big box in the middle of the level will be changed with big postal which will teleport player to the next puzzle laugh about explanations they'll be only in the first level.

Re: GRAVITY - 05/02/10 22:25

tubes:

everybody knows that itīs possible to pass a wall when there is a tube.
You can also make them a bit transparent to get an interessting style.
Be creative.

And another self-explanatory game element - the red button:

Use them and you dont need to tell anyone that they have to push this thing-they will simply do it just to see what happens.

Re: GRAVITY - 05/02/10 22:31

Thank you once again wink got the point. Don't think that green tubes will be good in my game, but I'll do something similar, so player will know that there is a way in the wall. What about the main story idea? It is funny, isn't it? grin

Re: GRAVITY - 05/02/10 22:51

to support this idea you could add some voices of the scientists wich do some
stupid comments about the alienīs IQ when it solved a puzzel or when the player
is not able find a solution but first you should care about the leveldesign.
The tiled background wall texture could be replaced by pictures of fractals
or something else which fits the mood of the level

Re: GRAVITY - 05/02/10 22:57

Pictures of fractals? What is that? Explain more a bit please laugh

Re: GRAVITY - 05/02/10 23:06

its a huge topic related to komplex numbers, check wikipedia for more information.
However, I think such pics could give your game a nice look:

perhaps you can find someone who would contribute you some images
or you can find a prog for generating those..dont know..I never searched for such software

Re: GRAVITY - 05/02/10 23:15

Thank you again. I'll do my best wink after finishing with bug fixes and adding some particles and improvements, I'll take care of level design laugh I'll do up to 10 levels for the beginning, I guess that will be fine to start

Re: GRAVITY - 05/02/10 23:17

And what about game name? Is Gravity ok? What do you think?

Re: GRAVITY - 05/02/10 23:39

Eventually itīs your game and your decision but 'Gravity' should do it as working title at least

Re: GRAVITY - 05/02/10 23:43

Ok thank you again
Posted By: Liamissimo

Re: GRAVITY - 05/03/10 06:19

I also want to test it but the link is down wink

Re: GRAVITY - 05/03/10 10:52

DOWNLOADLINK wink
Posted By: CrYzZeR

Re: GRAVITY - 07/25/10 11:45

The Link is dead. I really want to test it frown

edit: ahh i have found it on your website. I like it. do you still work on it?

Re: GRAVITY - 08/02/10 05:31

No, I'm not working on it now, but may be I'll start working on it a bit later, any way there is a source code, so any one can work on it laugh Will be happy to see some progress made by other users with it laugh
© 2024 lite-C Forums