Why I love Ventilator's lightmapping plugin

Posted By: DavidLancaster

Why I love Ventilator's lightmapping plugin - 11/09/07 00:42

Here's something small I've achieved with Ventilator's plugin:

Click this link
Now click this link
Then save the images to your pc, or somehow figure out a way to instantly transition between them and you can see just how amazing mesh lightmapping is and why I love this plugin so much and how cool Ventilator is for making it! If you use bsp it's going to eat your performance and you don't have the flexibility and ease of creativity with meshes

Thanks to loopix trees in these shots. If you're interested you may find more info here:
Ventilator's 2nd uv set and supertrace plugin

Another example:
Here wihtout lightmap
With lightmap

Posted By: Michael_Schwarz

Re: Why I love Ventilator's lightmapping plugin - 11/09/07 00:46

oh my gosh!
Posted By: JetpackMonkey

Re: Why I love Ventilator's lightmapping plugin - 11/09/07 01:19

Marvellous! What did you use to render the lightmaps?

Re: Why I love Ventilator's lightmapping plugin - 11/09/07 01:22

Quote:

I used the magnificent Gile[s]
Posted By: Nems

Re: Why I love Ventilator's lightmapping plugin - 11/09/07 01:26

Ooooooh...aaaaahhhhhh...WOW!
Simply superb
Posted By: RruthH

Re: Why I love Ventilator's lightmapping plugin - 11/09/07 02:38

WOOOOOOW............that's nice. O_O

So is the whole level just one model? O_O
(exported whole level -> imported in gile[s] -> apply lightmapping -> export from gile[s] -> import in MED as one object) am i right?

Re: Why I love Ventilator's lightmapping plugin - 11/09/07 04:13

Quote:

WOOOOOOW............that's nice. O_O

So is the whole level just one model? O_O
(exported whole level -> imported in gile[s] -> apply lightmapping -> export from gile[s] -> import in MED as one object) am i right?

Pretty much, but I had to have 3 separate MED objects as I'm using 3 different lightmaps, one for the terrain, one for the buildings, and another for the smaller objects.

I go, blender - giles - blender - MED using export/import obj.
Posted By: RruthH

Re: Why I love Ventilator's lightmapping plugin - 11/09/07 04:22

Oh ok.... Thanks for the info
Posted By: Samb

Re: Why I love Ventilator's lightmapping plugin - 11/09/07 06:24

Quote:

Quote:

I used the magnificent Gile[s]

Gile[s] is an awesome shadow baker. you all should try it out
http://www.frecle.net/index.php

p.s.: I go Wings3D - gile[s] - Wings 3D - MED
Posted By: Inestical

Re: Why I love Ventilator's lightmapping plugin - 11/09/07 06:35

The trees might use some work, since the wood texture is... blurry? Otherwise that's just great. Add sharpening and bloom and you get pretty nice outcome
Posted By: Captain_Kiyaku

Re: Why I love Ventilator's lightmapping plugin - 11/09/07 06:41

I got the tool too few days ago and i tested it on a baked radiosity scene. Was really impressive how good it looks with the second lightmap.

Great shots
Posted By: William

Re: Why I love Ventilator's lightmapping plugin - 11/09/07 07:44

That looks great. Everything seems to match.
Posted By: fastlane69

Re: Why I love Ventilator's lightmapping plugin - 11/09/07 07:54

That is simply amazing!
Now "the big question": FPS?
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: Why I love Ventilator's lightmapping plugin - 11/09/07 08:11

FPS will not be a big issue since it just uses a second uv-set with second texture for the models.

Best thing would be to support a second uv-set directly in mdl format in the future. I once asked for that in the future forum but nobody replied. They just ignored this

The images look great. Good work on the models as well!
Posted By: D3D

Re: Why I love Ventilator's lightmapping plugin - 11/09/07 08:19

Thought it was on the forecast, but I guess that i've not understood. So i've purchased Giles today. Do I still need supertrace or only this plugin w/A7?

Re: Why I love Ventilator's lightmapping plugin - 11/09/07 08:37

Frank's right, it does nothing to the fps.

Supertrace plugin is used to trace to a position on a model and return the coordinates of that position on the model's bmap. You can then find the color of that position of the bmap and set a model's ambient to that color. This way if your character steps from shadow to light it's ambient will change rather than just staying it's default/netrual color/ambient.
Posted By: broozar

Re: Why I love Ventilator's lightmapping plugin - 11/09/07 09:07

impressive. still, it's static lighting and static shadows only which is quite limiting. imagine the trees waving in the air, throwing dynamic shadows on the houses, day/night cycles with changing atmosphere...
Posted By: Ambassador

Re: Why I love Ventilator's lightmapping plugin - 11/09/07 09:28

That looks absolutely gorgeous David! I'm loving the feel of that environment.
Posted By: Pappenheimer

Re: Why I love Ventilator's lightmapping plugin - 11/09/07 10:08

Quote:

impressive. still, it's static lighting and static shadows only which is quite limiting. imagine the trees waving in the air, throwing dynamic shadows on the houses, day/night cycles with changing atmosphere...

I still don't quite get what you want to say with this. It is not Far Cry, we all know that, and A7 is not the Cry Engine. So what? We are not Bluebyte, we are not Crytec, we are not Dave Perry. Astonished?

To me, there is nothing more convincing than this plugin, because all the other shader based tools like Sphere or IceX killed the frame rate and caused issues where I would have needed an additional coder who only had to take care of compatibiliy of the shaders and keeping everything visible as it should be. (And, be sure, I wasted a lot of time with this experiments! )

Maybe, Zapan's plugin does the job within reasonable frame rates and efforts, but, ventilator's plugin already showed what it does.

This is my rant for the 'bird in the hand' which 'is worth two in the bush'.

And, take another look, look at the market, and where people like us with the engine we've got could have a chance to compete:
http://www.bigfishgames.com/download-games/1059/virtualvillagers/index.html
Look at this this way: the CryEngine has no chance to compete on this market!

Quote:

imagine the trees waving in the air, throwing dynamic shadows on the houses, day/night cycles with changing atmosphere...

For this there are workarounds possible:
- dynamically changing the fog adds much to the athmosphere
- one could cycle through shadowmaps of the house roof

Re: Why I love Ventilator's lightmapping plugin - 11/09/07 10:36

astonished? no. well, i'm astonished that you are overwhelmed by a nearly 10 years old technology (bake light maps).

btw, who needs to be crysis? http://www.leadwerks.com/files/livingforest.wmv (leadwerks engine)

sphere engine 2 had these animated tree shadows as well. i don't want to talk about shiva or torque.

i do not bash ventilators work, and i like the atmosphere that David's image creates. nevertheless, if you are objective, you must admit that it's at least 6 years behind state of the art. why should i be astonished of that? just because it's 3dgs and "3dgs has another standard blabla"?

Quote:

one could cycle through shadowmaps of the house roof

have fun
Posted By: DEX

Re: Why I love Ventilator's lightmapping plugin - 11/09/07 10:38

I am urgin for shadows improovements since I got 3dgs, but it is always on HIGH-priority in forecast. This great looking shadows have almost every good engine and for their users it is natural to have images like this. Law maker for example have very simple system, just place a light and you have a different type of shadows to all objects. There is no need to use all those tools to acheeve simple things like GOOD shadows. No plugins, no third party programs, just import model and fantastic shadow is already there even in production stage, without compiling.
Posted By: Pappenheimer

Re: Why I love Ventilator's lightmapping plugin - 11/09/07 11:08

What I like is that ventilator's tool adds to the 'have' while you already again add to the 'wish'. Did you program already with Lawmaker and such? I mean, actually, not theoretically. I didn't, but I have a code with my game from my Gnometech written with c-script. You have a game with c-script, but you don't have any working game script with Lawmaker, do you?

This is a thread about something that has been achieved, not something on a wish list. 'To be, or not to be' - and that makes the difference - as you know very well, too.

Re: Why I love Ventilator's lightmapping plugin - 11/09/07 11:17

ok, a thread about the actual state of 3dgs. the screenshots posted even rely on a 3rd party plugin that does not belong to the 3dgs toolset from the start on. it's like the pretty sphere2 screenshots: the use of these enhancements is limited to users with experience, knowledge and patience, and has nothing to do with the 3dgs out-of-the-box functionality that it's always praised for.
now tell me about "being".

Re: Why I love Ventilator's lightmapping plugin - 11/09/07 13:14

Please dont get DEX wrong. He uses A6 and is willing to upgrade to A7. He likes the speed-improvements.

But we all like good light and shadows as well
And the lightmapper of A7 is still experimental and has some issues.

Because of that I follow the development of ventilators plugin very carefully. I like this approach, I appreciate his great work and would like to play with it in the future.

What I am wondering is: performance of scene-management (indoor and outdoor) and the possibility to combine normalmapping with this plugin.
If this is available then I will make the next demo room to promote this tool-set from the bottom of my heart

Wetain also showed a few times how good this works with shader and even real-time lighting.

Could somebody please create a bundle of those different plugins, shaders, scripts and codes? I provide a demo and even a how-to-use-tutorial and ventilator can sell it to the public.

If that is not available then I have to strongly agree with DEX and Broozar: It is not quite easy to collect and use all these different plugins, scripts, shaders and tools.
Posted By: Ambassador

Re: Why I love Ventilator's lightmapping plugin - 11/09/07 13:49

Quote:

What I am wondering is: performance of scene-management (indoor and outdoor) and the possibility to combine normalmapping with this plugin.

Lightmapping basically just is multitexturing so it should not affect scene management too much if at all (the way I see it). And because of multitexturing, it should be possible to code a shader which takes the color map (texture), lightmap and the normal map and does all of the necessary calculations. If this is not yet possible, it shouldn't be too much of a pain to implement.

Though this is just my view of the issue. I am not familiar with the structure of the plugin so I might be talking rubbish here...

EDIT: humm we are talking about baking here... well then you don't really have to pass both the texture and the lightmap to the shader, the models should be ready to go for normal mapping.

Re: Why I love Ventilator's lightmapping plugin - 11/09/07 13:54

Yes. I strongly agree with you Ambassador. I also think (maybe a bit naiv but I try at least ) that it should be a simple per-pixel multiplication with the shadowmap on top of the normal-/specular-shaded pixel.

But the problem remains. I do not have it available and I am not sure if I can solve it. So I have to buy tools without being sure that it works in the end how I like it to work.

But it must be possible like Wetain showed lately.
Posted By: Slin

Re: Why I love Ventilator's lightmapping plugin - 11/09/07 14:51

There are some mistakes and it is possibly bad written, but this was my try to explain how to add a shadowmap to a normalmapping shader. It can be very easy adopted to work with ventilators plugin.

http://www.coniserver.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/784064/an/0/page/4#Post784064 (There is also an english translation on my blog!)

About the topic: Those screenshots are looking great and are showing how important shadows can be. Even though it is all static, I like it a lot
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: Why I love Ventilator's lightmapping plugin - 11/09/07 15:58

@broozer

Im tired of hearing this, almost every new game comes out with some form of baked lightmapping, it is much better looking then dynamic shadowmapping which is only used on a need to use basis. Even here: http://www.cybergooch.com/tutorials/pages/lighting_rfom1.htm you see resistance fall of man uses baked lighting, because much more detail and atmosphere could be captured with it. Or is Resistance Fall of Man using behind technology standards? Because if so I'm completely confused and should probably should drop out of the gaming industry. But until someone can convince me otherwise people need to stop whining and crying about lightmapping, its an effective, efficient, easy on the machine, way to add lots of detail, were moving lighting is not required.
Posted By: ventilator

Re: Why I love Ventilator's lightmapping plugin - 11/09/07 16:05

i like the screenshots a lot! thanks for posting them.

Quote:

I also think (maybe a bit naiv but I try at least ) that it should be a simple per-pixel multiplication with the shadowmap on top of the normal-/specular-shaded pixel.

yes, it's that simple. i think the result won't be 100% realistic (but what is in games? ) since you would need to know which shadow belongs to which light to do correct specularity for example but this shouldn't be a big deal. you also have the same problem with dynamic shadows (like the current stencil shadows) if they just get overlaid after the whole scene got rendered already.

Re: Why I love Ventilator's lightmapping plugin - 11/09/07 18:29

@lostclimate: hell, i do not condemn baking shadows. you didn't get my point. so again, in slowmo:
1. a standard acknex render looks like this: http://www.churness.com/axys/NoLightMap.jpg so this is "our 3dgs state of technology". wow.
2. vent created a plugin. it is a plugin like matt's sphere engine: it tries to add features to a6 (in other words, kill the inconveniences) by sacrificing ease of use (you need a bunch of additional programs and customise piles of code to work with it) and speed (>sphere).
3. everyone says "aaaah" when they see David's pictures. don't forget: standard acknex looks like the screen posted in 1.) what you like is a) the light and shadow rendering done in gile[s] (not 3dgs) and b) vent's plugin (not 3dgs). the scene wouldn't look close as good as it's now.
nevertheless, David has done a nice work in setting up the scene, choosing colors, textures, building the environment etc.
4. acknex is not even capable of using this 10 year old shadow baking technology at a decent level, or tell me why David couldn't light his scene with a6 onboard-tools. i do not want to talk about dynamic shadows.
5. why should shadowmapping be bad? even doom3 uses it http://seiryu.cside.to/3dfps/Doom3/doom3-shadow01.jpg
6. what makes me sad is that, even if you wanted to, you simply could let the tga-transparent textured tree throw a dynamic shadow on the ground. and, in fact, without the plugin, you couldn't even use a static one.

all in all: a work around, like vent's plugin, is barely an engine feature. i like vent's plugin as well. but it cannot console me that this should be a built-in easy to use standard engine feature. not the work of an external program and a hobby(? excuse me if it's wrong) programmer.

oh, and:
Quote:

... completely confused and should probably should drop out of the gaming industry.

you are part of the game industy? are you really? or are you only someone who wants to be? show us your products then...
Posted By: frazzle

Re: Why I love Ventilator's lightmapping plugin - 11/09/07 19:37

I'm not gonna comment any of the models which isn't the point of this thread any way It's about that amazing plugin, which I can't thank Ventilator enough for !! It may be static related but I guess great looking shadows can make a project look way more plausible
Nice work David, good of you to remind us of the power which is involved behind this tool

Cheers

Frazzle
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: Why I love Ventilator's lightmapping plugin - 11/09/07 23:36

Quote:

1. a standard acknex render looks like this: http://www.churness.com/axys/NoLightMap.jpg so this is "our 3dgs state of technology". wow.

no it's not. it uses no shaders. 3DGS can use shaders without use of plugins, and so it's a lie to say that this is the state of 3DGS technology while withholding eye-candy.

this thread is lancaster showcasing ventilator's plugin. you know what 3DGS is capable of -- you saw the variance shadowmapping "plugin" which isn't even a plugin, but a natively supported module.

i agree, though, that it's not exciting technology, and the awesomeness is exaggerated. no one should be saying that this is is testament to the capabilities of A6. i do think it looks great, but almost entirely due to david lancaster's ability to create and put together some good-looking and atmospheric art which fits together well. i must say i've seen better examples of the usage of ventilator's plugin -- specifically the baking of radiosity or ambient occlusion in indoor environments, which couldn't easily be replaced/faked by projected shadows or a shadowmapping shader.

julz
Posted By: Toast

Re: Why I love Ventilator's lightmapping plugin - 11/09/07 23:57

Quote:

no it's not. it uses no shaders. 3DGS can use shaders without use of plugins, and so it's a lie to say that this is the state of 3DGS technology while withholding eye-candy.

Well I have to support broozar here. This here isn't so much about shaders but about lightmaps. The 3DGS lightmapper just gives you such pitiful results while with gile[s] you can do very pretty things. It's not about shaders - it's about lightmaps. A reason why I couldn't understand the "resistance" against making all the UV-set things etc. available long time ago. The 3DGS lightmapper just can't be as good as a tool whose single purpose is doing lightmaps and has been under development for years. Even with nice thingies like finally having radiosity like it's said on the forecast won't make the 3DGS lightmapper even in quality, features or speed. I think that's also something nobody expects it to do...

Enjoy your meal
Toast

Re: Why I love Ventilator's lightmapping plugin - 11/10/07 01:03

that's got nothing to do with what i said. i disagreed with calling an intentionally un-lit and un-shaded scene "our 3dgs state of technology". shaders have nothing to do with this thread, but neither does the discussion on the state of 3dgs.

i also argued the point that the purpose of this thread is showcasing ventilator's plugin used with david lancaster's art.

aside from that i'm in full agreement with broozar.

julz

Re: Why I love Ventilator's lightmapping plugin - 11/10/07 06:25

Would it be fair to say that 3DGS is a cheap engine (price wise) and with all cheap products come their faults or shortcomings? You get what you pay for. And perhaps in order for conitec to help support indie developers they have a priority to keep the price of the product at the range it's in, start adding all these features etc that it seems everyone either expects or wants, then the price goes up and people complain about the expense.

Re: Why I love Ventilator's lightmapping plugin - 11/10/07 11:55

I agree with most of your statements. David is also right. The engine is cheap. But Toast brought it to a good point. In this case we dont need expensive new tools. We just need the access to another uv-set. You can surely do it with Lite-C and DirectX. But we only need to attach a second UV-set in MED with texture.

This is not a task to let engine price explode It is a change int the MDL format. I once asked for that in the future forum but got ignored.

Re: Why I love Ventilator's lightmapping plugin - 11/10/07 12:47

Quote:

But we only need to attach a second UV-set in MED with texture.

definitely agreed ^^

julz
Posted By: Felixsg

Re: Why I love Ventilator's lightmapping plugin - 11/10/07 13:34

If I not dream I see a post of JCL
and gamestudio A7 goes to support 4 uv
and already in beta testing

you try to search

The ventilator plug ins is a great tool and probably all other engines except a minority using external tools for make the lightmappers (3d studio by sample)

and the quality and speed of the pre-calculated lights are much better (raytracing lights prerender with 3d tools and anytimes winth plug ins tvray, carrara 6, vue 6 all can be baked) that shadowmaps pixelshaders

Re: Why I love Ventilator's lightmapping plugin - 11/10/07 15:14

no, jcl has no plans to add more uv-sets to the model format. it would make the model format more complicated and i think it's jcl opinion that light mapping doesn't make sense for models since they are more meant for moving them around per script and being animated. i think light maps for models can make sense even once a7 level geometry is better supported (map compiler, fbx import,...). for example because models can have lod.

gamestudio's vertex format kind of supports 4 uv-sets. there are 3 uv-sets. one actually is meant for the tangent but it consists of 4 floats which also could store 2 uv-pairs if you don't need the tangent.
Posted By: ShoreVietam

Re: Why I love Ventilator's lightmapping plugin - 11/11/07 10:54

Wicked, amazing, BEAUTIFUL!
Posted By: zwecklos

Re: Why I love Ventilator's lightmapping plugin - 11/11/07 15:01

The screens look amazing. Great work!
For the discussion about the baked lights:

Interactive Architecture

There was also a big discussion about rendering lights and bake them on geometry.
This project was done in A6 and we just used some simple shaders/scripts to combine the lightmaps with the diffuse textures. There is no need for a plugin to realize such nice looking sceneries. All you need is a serious render-engine

Conitecs engine supports lightmaps, cool, use it.

cheers

zwecklos

Re: Why I love Ventilator's lightmapping plugin - 11/11/07 16:56

if you use the same uv-set for the textures and the light map then you can't use tiled textures though. this may work for small architectural visualizations but not for bigger game levels.
Posted By: not_me

Re: Why I love Ventilator's lightmapping plugin - 11/20/07 02:10

THATS AWESOME! OMG! I SHOWED EVERYONE IN TEH OFFICE AND THEY WERE LIKE.."MAN WE SUCK! THIS GUY ROCKS!" very nice

Re: Why I love Ventilator's lightmapping plugin - 11/20/07 03:16

Quote:

@lostclimate: hell, i do not condemn baking shadows. you didn't get my point. so again, in slowmo:
2. vent created a plugin. it is a plugin like matt's sphere engine: it tries to add features to a6 (in other words, kill the inconveniences) by sacrificing ease of use (you need a bunch of additional programs and customise piles of code to work with it) and speed (>sphere).
3. everyone says "aaaah" when they see David's pictures. don't forget: standard acknex looks like the screen posted in 1.) what you like is a) the light and shadow rendering done in gile[s] (not 3dgs) and b) vent's plugin (not 3dgs). the scene wouldn't look close as good as it's now.
nevertheless, David has done a nice work in setting up the scene, choosing colors, textures, building the environment etc.
4. acknex is not even capable of using this 10 year old shadow baking technology at a decent level, or tell me why David couldn't light his scene with a6 onboard-tools. i do not want to talk about dynamic shadows.
5. why should shadowmapping be bad? even doom3 uses it http://seiryu.cside.to/3dfps/Doom3/doom3-shadow01.jpg
6. what makes me sad is that, even if you wanted to, you simply could let the tga-transparent textured tree throw a dynamic shadow on the ground. and, in fact, without the plugin, you couldn't even use a static one.

all in all: a work around, like vent's plugin, is barely an engine feature. i like vent's plugin as well. but it cannot console me that this should be a built-in easy to use standard engine feature. not the work of an external program and a hobby(? excuse me if it's wrong) programmer.

oh, and:

Quote:
... completely confused and should probably should drop out of the gaming industry.

you are part of the game industy? are you really? or are you only someone who wants to be? show us your products then...

This post hs nothing to do with the nativc capabilities of 3dgs.. why are you talking about them? Also Game Design is never easy so yes you need a little experience to use stuff. As far as doom3 using dynamic shadows... so? doom looked like crap, with hard edges, and way too much specularity on everything it made it look horrible, what should be strived for is a mix between dynamic and static lighting.

\
That last comment.... Im not sure how to take that, seeing as you do not know me, but im going to take it as an insult because that sounds like tho tone of the (sarcastic?) question. Yes I do consider myself "in the industry" I make all my income thru game design, and so far I've work on two published titles, and am doing work on another 3 that will be published soon. Are they AAA? no, but casual games are indeed still a part of the game design industry, and so are simulators.

I recomment a mod of some sort warn broozer for his seemingly insulting comment.
Posted By: adoado

Re: Why I love Ventilator's lightmapping plugin - 11/20/07 13:49

Whether lostclimate is part of the game industry or not is not relevant to this thread. The thread is about light mapping, shadows, etc.

Lets stay on topic before it gets out of control.

Thanks,
Adoado.

Re: Why I love Ventilator's lightmapping plugin - 11/20/07 15:49

@lostclimate: i won't comment you imo unqualified comments about the doom engine, your mixing up of game design and engine capabilities, the difference between the art and the engine as well as the game industry part - think what you like. i am well aware that this thread wasn't about a6 or a7, only about ventilator's lovable plugin (read my first word: "impressive"). it wasn't me who made it an a7 thread, it was pappenheimer, re-read the thread if you like. he took my comment as an assault on acknex, himself and the community that it wasn't meant to be. you jumped on that train and took everything personally. so let's forget about it and calm down.

Re: Why I love Ventilator's lightmapping plugin - 11/20/07 15:58

deal
Posted By: mpdeveloper_B

Re: Why I love Ventilator's lightmapping plugin - 11/20/07 16:16

Quote:

The screens look amazing. Great work!
For the discussion about the baked lights:

Interactive Architecture

There was also a big discussion about rendering lights and bake them on geometry.
This project was done in A6 and we just used some simple shaders/scripts to combine the lightmaps with the diffuse textures. There is no need for a plugin to realize such nice looking sceneries. All you need is a serious render-engine

Conitecs engine supports lightmaps, cool, use it.

cheers

zwecklos

I have to agree with Trooper119 here, it isn't much about the shaders, it's about the rendering engine, and for the price of A6 you get an ok rendering engine, you get what you pay for, but, it also seems outdated. It doesn't take that many models in a scene before your framerate drops considerably. Also trying to add shaders to it is adding insult to injury, for instance i've played HL2 and HL2 Episode 1 and they both run faster than most games i've played on this engine, even the ones without shaders....sure you can run these shaders, but try running them in a game that has plenty of models on screen at a time, like an outdoor fps, if you can't play a game like that with a decent framerate, then shaders are out of the question and shouldn't be included as the engine's current state....

Just an opinion - Manslayer101

And btw, the lightmapped scene looks great David, Ventilators plugin did really make a difference
Posted By: Inestical

Re: Why I love Ventilator's lightmapping plugin - 11/20/07 21:27

Ok good. you two settled it. Just don't try to blow up this again.

FEI: don't reply if someone is acting all stupid or bashes you. just inform a mod and he/she will deal with it.
Posted By: not_me

Re: Why I love Ventilator's lightmapping plugin - 12/28/07 22:12

Ooooo pretty...
© 2024 lite-C Forums