Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program

Posted By: Michael_Schwarz

Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program - 10/31/07 23:49

Tuscture Science poudly presents the new Portico program at our Tuscture Science Technology-Biological Testing Biodome Facility that tests our current new Tuscture Science Trans Dimensional Spatial Shortening Anomalies, or Portals, in the application by an Human Species for the first time by using the Tuscture Science Portable Handheld Inter Spatial Portal Creation Device.

This is the Tuscture Science Portable Handheld Inter Spatial Portal Creation Device:

The Tuscture Science Portable Handheld Inter Spatial Portal Creation Device is powered by our new battery protoype operating on Bistro-Matic Technology.

The Tuscture Science Portable Handheld Inter Spatial Portal Creation Device as seen from the test subject's perspective during the testing procedure.

This is indeed an Tuscture Science 4-Sided Weighted JCL Companion Cone that will be used to test the emotional bounding to physical objects with the test subject.

We hope you enjoyed this small previen into our testing program.
Tuscture Science is happy to report you that there will soon be new imagery from our testing facilities to provide you up to date with the ongoing testing procedure.
Posted By: ambe

Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program - 10/31/07 23:53

Nice real portal "like".. but .. are you planing to sell this ? .. valve might be mad ^^ --
Posted By: broozar

Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program - 11/01/07 00:02

well, i should either call you unimaginative and an idea theif, or just a genius for the "companion cone" with JCLs face on it
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program - 11/01/07 00:03

i love the level textures "placeholder_x"

the model shape isn't very attractive. of course that's subjective but it isn't nice as far as i'm concerned. i like the JCL Companion Cone. i think everyone who makes a 3DGS game should have one hidden somewhere as an easter egg.

i enjoy your sense of humour in this post and i'm looking forward to more images!

julz

Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program - 11/01/07 00:07

btw it's not a cone, it's a pyramid....

Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program - 11/01/07 00:12

[/rpg]

4-sided cone... read again

[rpg]
Posted By: Ichiro

Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program - 11/01/07 01:53

Hilarious. And delicious. All at the same time.
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program - 11/01/07 03:16

Quote:

Tuscture Science is happy to report you that there will soon be new imagery from our testing facilities to provide you up to date with the ongoing testing procedure.

This kept ringing in my head with this Hawkings voice with fluctuating signature sound for over an hour man, awesome!

( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89jt7zJzkNQ )

Cheers
Posted By: Inestical

Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program - 11/01/07 06:59

haha Tuscture Science

That's pure awesomeness, now I'm waiting for Zero-Gravity Field Gun (since playing with gravity gun and portal gun are much different from each other, even though portal gun has the gravity gun features)and others alike ^^
Posted By: frazzle

Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program - 11/01/07 18:14

Looks quite interesting Michael, waiting curious for more pictures

Cheers

Frazzle

Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program - 11/01/07 18:23

you really need a better gun model. *volunteering*

Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program - 11/01/07 22:56

Tuscture Science is proud to report you, that you are invited to create the design for the Tuscture Science Portable Handheld Inter Spatial Portal Creation Device Mark II, as the current model caused severe injuries by it's heavy weigth to 77.987 % of the test subjects, including smaller injuries as: hematomas in toes, damaged or removed teeth and damaged finger bones. These are causing much troubles as we have to fund another clone of the test subject, which costs us 2,000.000 $ every time.

Tuscture Science would be happy if you would contact us using the MSN or ICQ services.
Posted By: Edgecrusher

Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program - 11/20/07 18:00

So, any news on this project? I'm real curious about it and would like to play it^^

Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program - 11/20/07 18:07

i have the gun ready, but i don't like it anymore, now i'm waiting for a striking inspiration falling from the sky.
Posted By: Xarthor

Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program - 11/20/07 18:20

Luckily there is a hole in the sky through which things can fly

Sounds interesting, waiting for:
a) more screenshots
and/or
b) a demo/video
Posted By: Nems

Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program - 11/20/07 18:55

Brilliant, theres gotta be more...

Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program - 11/20/07 23:08

There will, there is. But just not right now
Posted By: mpdeveloper_B

Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program - 11/29/07 16:33

i don't know if i like it or hate it....it is a direct portal ripoff, but the tusc reference and the comedy aspect of this is pretty funny, are you planning on selling this?

Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program - 11/29/07 17:41

it's all about fun. portal was fun, but way too short. 3dgs is fun. let's combine em and have a nice evening... who care about a clone? tetris if fun as well, even as the 1M-clone... and it's a challenge to get a working "portal"-portal system into 3dgs.

Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program - 11/29/07 19:48

nah, it has nothing to do with it being a clone, i just don't know if i like it or not....hmmm although if it played better than the other 3DGS portal stuff, i bet it would probably be fun, as long as the portals aren't jerky

Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program - 01/31/08 12:33

The Tuscture Science Practical Application Testing Facility wants to remind you that the Tuscture Science Portable Handheld Inter Spatial Portal Creation Device is not allmighty. You cannot create shoes for orphans with it.

~Still alive.

Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program - 01/31/08 20:19

Teaser anyone?

Portico Teaser 01 :: Welcome

View:
YouTube

Download:
LowRes (360x240) (2.6 MB)

HiRes (780x480) (4.6 MB)

-------------

Good luck solving the riddle
Posted By: alleen

Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program - 01/31/08 20:28

awww no in game footage..... but it's not bad nethertheless

Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program - 01/31/08 22:12

billig

Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program - 01/31/08 23:02

Looking forward to more,

Cheers

Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program - 02/01/08 13:42

Anyone solved the riddle in the trailer yet?

Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program - 02/01/08 15:10

i have no idea michael, but it's an okay treiler

Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program - 02/01/08 15:29

"welcome sum op all tusc"

But it does not make sense =(
Posted By: Captain_Kiyaku

Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program - 02/01/08 15:42

he told me op was a typo so its of, which still doesnt make much sense
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program - 02/01/08 17:03

are you talking about the in voluntary part?
Posted By: frazzle

Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program - 02/01/08 20:02

Quote:

Looking forward to more,

Second

Cheers

Frazzle

Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program - 02/01/08 22:12

And "sum of all" is 217 when "welcome" is counted and 172 without "welcome", meaning that numbers "127" pop up with both. with welcome, you get word "BAG" and without "AGB"

So I think with welcome is the correct one, giving us the word "BAG" =)
Posted By: Grafton

Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program - 02/02/08 14:38

How did I miss this?

This is really looking cool so far! Are you planning on using some shaders for the environment?
Is there a storyline yet? And most of all;
Will the, "PIE" be a lie?

Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program - 02/02/08 15:02

pie? it's more sane, but how'd you get it?

Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program - 02/02/08 22:58

I will be using very little shaders as I generally dislike them.

There is a storyline...

...without a cake.
Posted By: DavidLancaster

Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program - 02/03/08 07:59

Does it come with a Make Game button?

Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program - 02/03/08 13:29

guess what, it even comes with a make wow-mmorpg bluuum button.

Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program - 03/02/08 23:03

*TEAAASE*
Posted By: Quad

Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program - 03/02/08 23:25

tought the cake may get real, but all my dreams are crushed again.

this game needs a

create a "Tuscture Science Super Colliding 4-Sided Weighted JCL Companion Cone" contest.

edit: Added this page to stumble upon so more gamers will see this.
Posted By: Error014

Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program - 03/03/08 18:00

I... I don't know about this. It's... it's really difficult for me.

See, I basically bought the whole orange box because of the amazing praise Portal got (and also because I wanted to try out Half-Life 2, but please disregard this, as it kind of weakens the point I'm trying to make here). And I found that the game is, indeed, very absolutely awesome. Fantastic. Great fun. Incredibly funny, and, at the same time, manages to create this cool athmosphere. And you can't beat Glados speak.

Now... that being said, I really liked the gameplay in there, a first person puzzler, with this amazing portal technology at hand. But thats not actually what made the game so special for me. No, it was this fresh gameplay idea, the cool idea, and, most importantly, the way the game told its story. Please, please focus more on that when you blatantly rip off the game. Wait, did I say it out loud? (Typing, more like). Right now, it just screams "Clone of Portal!", its sad. Add more of your ideas. Yeah, yeah, I see, you've added the "Tusc"-joke into it - which is, whatever. Who cares, really. But, please, for the love of god, add something to it which is made by you. Right now, you could just as well create maps for Portal. Add your own, exciting gameplay mechanic!
How about, I don't know, how about the player could create his own construction similar how a spider builds its webs? Change the way gravity works, maybe even only for single objects? Rotate things - by which I mean, also complete parts of the level, ANYTHING. You may keep the portals in there, but don't make it the only thing of it. You could even have something unique in every "testchamber". Heck, some of the ideas could be great fun in a 3d environment.

Then, theres the story-side. You know. "Portico Program", huh? Clever. At least, you didn't write "Portalico", that would have been even more obvious, heck, you even replaced the "O" with a portal picture!
That "You cannot create shoes for orphans with it."-gag is too much for me, though. Thats an insider gag, but not a good one.

Please. Think of something. I don't mind being commanded by a huge, sarcastic computer whos voice is devoid of any emotion - uhm, in games, I mean (otherwise, I'd probably like Windows more, hah, a joke!) - and thats a cool way to tell the story. You can do that.
But please. Don't create the dialog using a text-to-speech program. Ask anybody to do it for you, if you don't want to do it yourself (maybe, you want a female voice, in that case, you probably cannot do it yourself). It looses its charme. I mean, yes, the voice of Glados is emotionless (for most of the game, at least), but it IS a human voice, and you can tell. "Thank you for helping us help you help us all" - things like that have to be said fluently without any gaps or breaks in the speech, and text-to-speech doesn't have that. It just doesn't sound natural, and thats the key.
AS for the rest of the story - who knows, really. You're not really telling much, and I couldn't be bothered to encrypt the oh-so-secret messages in your teaser, so maybe I'm missing it.

All in all... I don't know, really. I know how you feel, after finishing the game, I was thinking "Gosh, I want to create EXACTLY that!", but I still think that you should add some of your own innovative, nice gameplay changing ideas.

Your screen isn't too far off of portal, placeholdertextures in mind, but theres still room for improvement (the office space). Apart from that, there really isn't much to see, so I cannot comment on it.
Is the gameplay working? That portal-stuff? That'd be interesting to know.

Then again... maybe I missed the point here, and you are just experimenting to create something exactly along the lines of the game, and your goal is not to "improve" or to create your own experience, but to see if you can create a game like Portal on your own. In that case, disregard the above, and good work so far, although we haven't seen anything about the, you know, gameplay and the portal-stuff. Which would actually be the most interesting

Thank you for your attention. Please don't hate me.

EDIT: Although, that JCL Companion Cone - that gag was great. Thats awesome. More of that, please! You could create a complete Conitec-companion-primitive-set!

Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program - 03/03/08 19:17

Finally. The Error-Post

*puts on a tuxedo and steps in front of the crowd*

test 1,2 - 1,2

Heya Error

Lets start:

Quote:

Please, please focus more on that when you blatantly rip off the game. Wait, did I say it out loud? (Typing, more like). Right now, it just screams "Clone of Portal!", its sad. Add more of your ideas. Yeah, yeah, I see, you've added the "Tusc"-joke into it - which is, whatever. Who cares, really. But, please, for the love of god, add something to it which is made by you. Right now, you could just as well create maps for Portal. Add your own, exciting gameplay mechanic!
How about, I don't know, how about the player could create his own construction similar how a spider builds its webs? Change the way gravity works, maybe even only for single objects? Rotate things - by which I mean, also complete parts of the level, ANYTHING. You may keep the portals in there, but don't make it the only thing of it. You could even have something unique in every "testchamber". Heck, some of the ideas could be great fun in a 3d environment.

Yeah well, all you and everyone else here knows is that its some kind of "Portal clone" screaming "CLONE OF PORTAL" But honestly, for those few people who work with me on this project, we know its not a 1:1 ripoff. There'll be a lot of exciting new ideas and jokes!

But lets keep in mind that this is actually more a demo to show off that something like Portal, _IS_ possible in 3dgs, even without using shaders and some kind of weird matrices and mathematics talk...

Quote:

Then, theres the story-side. You know. "Portico Program", huh? Clever. At least, you didn't write "Portalico", that would have been even more obvious, heck, you even replaced the "O" with a portal picture!
That "You cannot create shoes for orphans with it."-gag is too much for me, though. Thats an insider gag, but not a good one.

Yeah the name is awesome isn't it?

No, seriously, as mentioned. It actually is kind of a Portal clone.. But then again, as i said, it also has an own storyline; AND, in contrary to Portal, you will get a bit more information about the "outer world" and "who you are". Altogether in a nice tasty package and with a good bunch of humor and 3dgs-insider jokes.

Quote:

But please. Don't create the dialog using a text-to-speech program. Ask anybody to do it for you, if you don't want to do it yourself (maybe, you want a female voice, in that case, you probably cannot do it yourself). It looses its charme. I mean, yes, the voice of GLADoS is emotionless (for most of the game, at least), but it IS a human voice, and you can tell. "Thank you for helping us help you help us all" - things like that have to be said fluently without any gaps or breaks in the speech, and text-to-speech doesn't have that. It just doesn't sound natural, and thats the key.

I didn't use any text-to-speech programs actually. Maybe it doesn't sound too GLADoS like because the GLADoS voice is actually a female one and my [sarcasm](very) manly deeeeep voice[/sarcasm] doesnt resembles it too much.

But thanks for comparing me to Microsoft Sam

Quote:

AS for the rest of the story - who knows, really. You're not really telling much, and I couldn't be bothered to encrypt the oh-so-secret messages in your teaser, so maybe I'm missing it.

well, you should. if you want to know more about the story. I just gonna take that "oh-so-secret" part as some kind of sarcasm rest assured, there is an exciting story. Don't worry

Quote:

Your screen isn't too far off of portal, placeholdertextures in mind, but theres still room for improvement (the office space). Apart from that, there really isn't much to see, so I cannot comment on it.
Is the gameplay working? That portal-stuff? That'd be interesting to know.

You got me, actually i posted that (relatively) old screen cause people here were begging for in-game pics, so I just granted that wish.

As for the portal stuff: Yeah it's working. Though still some problems with the physics, but the portals "as is" do work perfect. Just like in... well... portal

Quote:

Thank you for your attention. Please don't hate me.

I don't hate you. I love all your posts

<3

Quote:

Although, that JCL Companion Cone - that gag was great. Thats awesome. More of that, please! You could create a complete Conitec-companion-primitive-set!

Cheers

Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program - 03/04/08 09:15

besides, what's wrong with clones? there are so many tetris clones out there, pacman clones, pong clones, breakout clones, and most of them make fun: because they are classics. portal really could become such a classic, so why not clone it? as it's developed on linux, we could call it GNU/Portico, what do you think, michael?

Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program - 03/04/08 09:27

Posted By: Error014

Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program - 03/04/08 18:59

I see. Apparently, I got the wrong idea about that project, then. Sorry.

Quote:

But lets keep in mind that this is actually more a demo to show off that something like Portal, _IS_ possible in 3dgs, even without using shaders and some kind of weird matrices and mathematics talk...

So it is more of an experiment to see if this is possible, huh? Okay. Thats something different, then. Plus, given that you said that

Quote:

There'll be a lot of exciting new ideas and jokes!

I think I can live with it. Hopefully. Depends on how "new" and "exciting" these ideas are. Don't disappoint me!

Quote:

I didn't use any text-to-speech programs actually. Maybe it doesn't sound too GLADoS like because the GLADoS voice is actually a female one and my [sarcasm](very) manly deeeeep voice[/sarcasm] doesnt resembles it too much.

Oh. Uhm. Alright. That, err, of course, I was only joking when I said that! What I meant to say was that... that... oh, whatever. Ask someone else to do it. Or just make your "Glados" (you... probably won't call it "Glados") a male. That would work, too! And you wouldn't have to play around with the pitch of your voice, making you sound like a very frustrated Microsoft Sam.

Quote:

As for the portal stuff: Yeah it's working. Though still some problems with the physics, but the portals "as is" do work perfect. Just like in... well... portal

Thats great to hear One of the developer commentaries was about the problems they had with physics in portals, so you're not alone

Quote:

besides, what's wrong with clones?

I don't really have a fundamental problem with clones. It`s not that it keeps me up at night (unlike the fact that there are people really sounding like Microsoft Sam!). However, you will agree that creating a clone is still lots of work, and I find it kind of sad to see all that hard work, potential and clever ideas in the creation, but only very few unique ideas. There is lots of cleverness involved, but none of it spent on creating new ideas making the whole thing different and more fun.
This has so much potential, I'd hate to see it "wasted" by not adding new stuff in it.

Gameplay si one thing, but the story is, as far as I know (and what do I know, right?), too close to Portal. No, wait, maybe "story" isn't the right word, but certain elements of the settings are. "Tuscture", "Portico", the "shoes-for-orphans"-gag, the name of the Portal gun, all that.

However... I have also thought this wasn't "just" an experiment to see if yo can create Portal in 3DGS, so I've judged it accordingly. Now, however, I see that this was wrong, and this is a just-for-fun, see-if-its-possible project, which I think is okay, but a very different thing. I wish you all the best of luck, and I'm looking forward to more stuff, especially things that show the portals itself are working
Posted By: xXxGuitar511

Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program - 03/04/08 19:48

What are some of the issues your facing with portals? I rewrote mine 2 weeks ago, and their working (mostly), but there were, a few problems...

1) The most obvious, collision. Objects still want to hit the walls behind the portal

2) Clipping. Say you have a 10 foot 2x4 going through the portal. You'd have to have two objects at each portal to correctly display it, but then they'd still be protruding through the back of the portal. Another way of avoiding this is by using some tricky extra views, but this can become very complicated

3) Double views. If you were looking at a portal through another view, it became distorted and improperly aligned. Perhaps you could get this fixed by doing some further management of your views...

...Looking forward to more results

Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program - 11/11/08 21:07

Hi!

After some long... long time without any updates.
I decided to scap everything I had from the first level and remake it (so the old screens don't apply anymore). Was necessary as I changed it too much in details and in the end it took over 10 minutes to compile because of all the little problems in the level.

So, a fresh new level, new models, and shaders ( yes, I know, i just implemented the new shaders today, so the shadows are still on the wrong place on some models like the radio). Thanks to Fear411 and xXxDisciple so far for their help on this project!

I know it doesn't show much, but a little reward as to a little spoiler from the beginning of the game.

And NO! my Portal system will still remain a mystery for you. After all, If i show it off right now, the intrest would be gone in this thing anyway. So I'll tease you a little more.

http://files.xware-cg.com/portico/hidden.mpg

laugh

Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program - 11/17/08 15:46

Okay, okay, but only some screenshots, okay?

happy? laugh
Posted By: WretchedSid

Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program - 11/17/08 15:54

Nice, but the portal need some effects.
Btw, happy Birthday

Posted By: Quad

Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program - 11/17/08 16:54

nice.

Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program - 11/17/08 23:35

I wrote some lyrics for you Michael. Maybe if someone sent me a link to the portal song without singing, just the music, I could record this song for you laugh

If you're interested, would anyone care to edit the lyrics to make it more funny?

btw Michael you are awesome and your development on this game rocks.

Quote:

There was a noobie
I'm making a note here "epic fail"
It's hard to hide all of my frustration

Tuscture Science
We helps the noobs with their MMORPGS
For the good of Michael_Schwarz
Who might one day kill someone

But there's no sense bashing every noob MMORPG
You just keep on bashing till there's WoW bloom no more
And the model gets done and you make noob game
For the people who don't really care

I'm not even angry
I'm being so sarcastic right now
You're going to make millions and billions of dollers
You're a warez user
Who wants a team of 100 programmers
But it hurt because everyone
Told you that you'd fail

Now we can get excited cause Tusc is here
Michael_Schwarz is a genius and we love him to bits
So I'm glad you're a noob what would we do without you
JCL is a companion cone (or JCL looks like a huge lime)

Go ahead and ignore me
I think I'd rather watch you rant
Maybe you'll find Dan Silverman to help you
Maybe Ichiro Lamb
That was a joke
Haha, fat chance
Anyway this game is great
It's so original and new

Look at me still talking when there's developing to do
Have you got my point yet you're not yet good at what you do
I've builds to run there is testing to be done
On the games that aren't MMORPGS

And believe me don't make a MMORPG
Go make pong or cheese burritos
I feel fantastic I'm not making MMORPG
While you're failing Tusc will still be alive
And when you've failed Tusc will be alive.

Still alive
Still alive

ALSO, SECRET PORTICO FOOTAGE!!!!

Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program - 11/18/08 16:29

I'd love if you can make that song real laugh
I even found you a karaoke version of the tune http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=nVORpTH5Cz4&feature=related

laugh

Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program - 11/19/08 17:21

Funny, I was just thinking about that this project needs a Still Alive song. I'm looking forward to it lol. ^^

Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program - 11/22/08 22:08

So...is this going to be sold? It is a bit (just a little) like portal. smile wink

Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program - 11/22/08 22:11

No, I will release this for free to the community and later eventually the entire sourcecode.

I couldn't sell it anyway, Valve would call their lawyers laugh

Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program - 11/30/08 07:23

I added you as a friend on youtube Michael smile Hope you don't mind my singing, once you accept my friend request I'll show you.

Tuscture Science SONG IS HERE! - 11/30/08 14:23

Now to find a thread that posting this video in will actually be relevant, in the jobs wanted section somewhere laugh laugh laugh

Re: Tuscture Science SONG IS HERE! - 11/30/08 19:17

haha! laugh thats great

If you could do me a favor and send the request to the official Tuscture Science account?

http://www.youtube.com/tuscturescience

Thanks! smile

Re: Tuscture Science SONG IS HERE! - 11/30/08 19:32

that was incredible laugh
Posted By: checkbutton

Re: Tuscture Science SONG IS HERE! - 12/01/08 09:41

You're totally mad laugh
Posted By: aztec

Re: Tuscture Science SONG IS HERE! - 12/01/08 11:24

Originally Posted By: checkbutton
You're totally mad laugh

yep he is crazy

Re: Tuscture Science SONG IS HERE! - 12/01/08 12:17

Cool I meet the requirements for being a 3DGS forum moderator!

Re: Tuscture Science presents the Portico Program - 01/26/09 14:06

Some new screens:

What that Button does there all on its own and why the signs says "peril" - you're gonna find out sooner or later :P laugh
Posted By: ISG

Re: Tuscture Science SONG IS HERE! - 01/26/09 14:59

Originally Posted By: DavidLancaster
Cool I meet the requirements for being a 3DGS forum moderator!

Hahaha. Oh wait...
Posted By: Ichiro

Re: Tuscture Science SONG IS HERE! - 02/26/09 07:42

I just ran into the Tuscture Science song on YouTube. It caresses me gently in the best of places.

Portico - New Screens! - 04/08/09 20:00

I know showing the same rooms is getting old. But this game is also about perfection. When I realized that what I had was more of a comic-style than something that looked serious. I revamped most of the textures and I also realigned and recolored the lighting.

I think now I have got what I really want, I am really satisfied with these results now, and I can start working on new levels.

Also I look into making the doors look better, who know that just a simple frame and moving down the doors a few inches can make such a huge difference!

It must be true, the devil is in the details.

So here is the final style I am going for in Portico, and from now on, no more screens from this boring always the same looking level numero uno. This is the last batch you are going to see from it!

(Right-click + view image in new tab/window to see in 1680x1050 resolution!)
Posted By: Doof_Guy

Re: Portico - New Screens! - 04/08/09 23:10

wow looks great! I really like the style of it now, looks very much like the real portal wink
Posted By: DiegoFloor

Re: Portico - New Screens! - 04/10/09 16:06

I'm not sure I get the point :P I'd use all this energy to make something new.

But still, it's coming along nicely smile
Posted By: DoC

Re: Portico - New Screens! - 04/10/09 16:59

I check a while this project and think nice clone, but now I think its a really cool clone but I think too.. why make the same with other name? You may learn much by making but if you finish what you do with it. Thats the same as you make a star wars game with no lizence ^^

But I like what you done ^^
Posted By: LarryLaffer

Re: Portico - New Screens! - 04/10/09 17:26

Hi Michael,

Want this? smile

Cheers,
Aris

PS: I uploaded that model after seeing your project, but i decided to do it the proper way and post it to the User Contributions forum instead. Keep up the good work.

Re: Portico - New Screens! - 04/10/09 19:36

Originally Posted By: DiegoFloor

I have to agree on both accounts smile

Re: Portico - New Screens! - 04/10/09 20:57

yeah, but the difference is in what the intent is, you want to make something new, he was to make 'his own' version which could be for several reasons, such as adding his own ideas and features or maybe just for the challenge of doing so. I remember my first big project with game design was with game maker, I set out (and for the most part accomplished) remaking mario bros 3 (not the levels but all the same features) the physics were all correct, the sprites worked correctly, the power ups were set to the same, even the green turtles walked off ledges while red ones walked back and forth, it was a huge accomplishment to me at the time because It has been my favorite game since i was 3. On top of that, using my system somebody could design there own levels just taking my source file in gmaker and only touching the level design area with no hassle so i built all sorts of fun stuff into the game.
Posted By: DiegoFloor

Re: Portico - New Screens! - 04/10/09 21:54

Of course. I didn't mean to be disrespectful. Just giving away my personal opinion smile

I wouldn't expend my energy on this, but I can see some value. I bet there's a lot of learning involved in trying to reproduce something already existent (even if only partially), since you can focus on a very well defined objective. If you consider all aspects of a game creation by yourself, it can be pretty overwhelming, not only for beginners.

Re: Portico - New Screens! - 04/13/09 16:58

Originally Posted By: Doof_Guy
wow looks great! I really like the style of it now, looks very much like the real portal wink

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: DiegoFloor

Well like mentioned, it's mainly to make people see you can make a game like the very successful Portal in 3DGS.

But then also, it's to explain a bit of backstory on a alternative timeline one of my next games would be involved in.

Originally Posted By: DoC
I check a while this project and think nice clone, but now I think its a really cool clone but I think too.. why make the same with other name? You may learn much by making but if you finish what you do with it. Thats the same as you make a star wars game with no lizence ^^

But I like what you done ^^

See above + I will release it Open Source when I'm finished with it.

Originally Posted By: LarryLaffer
Hi Michael,

Want this? smile

Cheers,
Aris

PS: I uploaded that model after seeing your project, but i decided to do it the proper way and post it to the User Contributions forum instead. Keep up the good work.

Hi! Thank you a lot, but as a part of keeping Valve's lawyers of my ass, many of the models will look different than the real deal. Your turret unfortunately looks too similar to the original. But thanks anyway!
Posted By: ShoreVietam

Re: Portico - New Screens! - 04/13/09 18:35

I'm "standing on the line" right from the beginning, I just don't get it... o_O"

Re: Portico - New Screens! - 04/13/09 21:14

@ShoreVietam: Dann nimm den Fuss vom Schlauch! :P

Re: Portico - New Screens! - 06/21/09 20:56

Well, I didnt have much time to work on Portico lately, but as I never actually have shown the Portals, here you can get a hint of them, and see the level in its full realtime glory.
[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-Rkh1ZzyXo[/video]

DirectChamber
Posted By: rvL_eXile

Re: Portico - New Screens! - 06/22/09 00:26

Looks really good!
I like the light reflections on the Glass.
The only things i dont like is:

- Warlord model :P
- Refraction Shader on the Glasses from the !?Office?!
- Door Animation!

Whats about the FPS?

Re: Portico - New Screens! - 06/22/09 04:38

what about the refraction shader?

fps is about 60 on a full 1680x1050, but then again, it's too steady so i guess it's way more but the stupid refresh rate bug interferes
Posted By: Germanunkol

Re: Portico - New Screens! - 06/22/09 07:41

the glass (refraction shader?) seems to "lag behind". If you rotate the camera it looks like the glass (or more the room behind it) is moving/shaking a little...
other than that, great work! The portals look too much like a door though, and too little like portals. Maybe a shader on them? Some distortion? some effect on the edge of the portal?

Re: Portico - New Screens! - 06/22/09 15:08

hmmm yeah... srange only happens when I'm recording with FRAPS... I'll look into it, thanks!

Yeah.. like I said, I didn't really have time to work on it lately, but effects on the portals will be one of my top priorities smile
© 2024 lite-C Forums