crypt

Posted By: SFMAT4

crypt - 10/21/06 23:08

Hi all,

here a smal textur testroom. I will add some more detail and more rooms next time. Comments are welcome.

best regards
SF

Posted By: broozar

Re: crypt - 10/21/06 23:20

adorable textures. i am impressed esp. by the seamless look and perfect tiling.
the overall lighting situation is not that good, i miss some shadows, and for a crypt being only illuminated by two torches it is too bright, plus the light colour does not match the flames colour. the point light at the left wall seems to have no source.

nevertheless, textures are excellent.

Re: crypt - 10/21/06 23:24

your right i will improve the lightning. I will also add a few torches at the walls.
Posted By: broozar

Re: crypt - 10/21/06 23:29

hey, you changed the screenshot! this is already better, i like eg. the light spot on the floor.
where have the flames gone?

Re: crypt - 10/21/06 23:32

hehe
okay new screen
I´m using the "Print" Button and he doesn´t save the flames.
Posted By: Damocles

Re: crypt - 10/21/06 23:37

Is this BSP or Models that you use for the geometry?

Re: crypt - 10/21/06 23:40

im using BSP
Posted By: Damocles

Re: crypt - 10/21/06 23:51

The level looks good,
nothing really to critic about it.

A small logical thing:

Maybe you should add some kind of "release" or pulldown Mechanism on the chains,
so that the fire-bowl can be let down, to ligt up the fire.
It is just hanging on the roof, so
it would be hard to actually light it up and fill it with wood.
Or at least some kind of attachment to the roof.

also auf deutsch:
eine Art "Ablassvorrichtung", oder zumindest ein cylinder, der
eine Öffnung in der Decke darstellt.
Abwohl man an der Stelle wo der Leuchter hängt nicht bohren sollte,
da dort der Abschlussstein ist...
Ist nur ne kleine Anmerkung, ansonsten sieht das Level und die TExturen
toll aus.
Posted By: Gamesaint762

Re: crypt - 10/22/06 01:25

Very well done. The textures are great. The only thing that I can see is maybe change the offsets of the textures on the collumns because the wear pattern is exactly the same on each collumn. Its not really a crit just will look more natural. The lighting fits and the mood seems dark which I would think is what you want in a crypt. GS out.
Posted By: anonymous_alcoho

Re: crypt - 10/22/06 01:45

For a crypt, it isn't dark and dirty enough. Its too clean.
Posted By: Bright

Re: crypt - 10/22/06 01:59

Very impressive!

Quote:

For a crypt, it isn't dark and dirty enough. Its too clean.

Could put some cobwebs in or something, that'll look neat. Maybe some fog :O
Posted By: Stansmedia

Re: crypt - 10/22/06 08:24

Yeh... Yeh, thats hot.
Posted By: themgsman

Re: crypt - 10/22/06 14:14

Very impressive lighting. I think that the flames look very nice and the lighting matches well. You can see the light that the flames emit, but also everything else is darker, but not to the point that it is pitch black. I am impressed.
Posted By: DWilki

Re: crypt - 10/23/06 03:48

Looks great. Are you using bumpamps?
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: crypt - 10/23/06 04:33

i can gaurentee its a no, if so he'd be getting an incredibly low framerate, since blocks and shaders are not a good mix
Posted By: Daedelus

Re: crypt - 10/23/06 05:02

Did you make these textures? Very nice.
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: crypt - 10/23/06 09:52

The textures are fantastic. I like the cracks in the ground texture very much. Some pattern in the wall textures are a bit repetitive though.

The lighting is very moody. I like it. The glow at the fire plate (don't know the right word for the plate where the fire is located) looks very cool.

The ornaments at the walls / pillars are fantastic!
Posted By: EX Citer

Re: crypt - 10/23/06 10:26

Looks very good. I like the glowing metal lightholders. They are so hot that they are glowing. Very cool.

Indeed, the ornaments are very good.
Posted By: frazzle

Re: crypt - 10/23/06 10:49

Quote:

The textures are fantastic. I like the cracks in the ground texture very much. Some pattern in the wall textures are a bit repetitive though.

The lighting is very moody. I like it. The glow at the fire plate (don't know the right word for the plate where the fire is located) looks very cool.

The ornaments at the walls / pillars are fantastic!

Quote:

Looks very good. I like the glowing metal lightholders. They are so hot that they are glowing. Very cool.

Indeed, the ornaments are very good.

Same opinion here
Great work SFMAT4 !!

Cheers

Frazzle
Posted By: TheExpert

Re: crypt - 10/23/06 11:19

Very good like always

Contrary to some people here , i find the cell and columns textures a bit too
damaged.
I don't know if the crypt has remained intact and if it is rueld by a lord that have people to clean ot

For lightening it's ok , making it more dark is really borring like in lot of games where we can't see anything

Will it be a level for a game ? are you trying to copy
the incoming FPS /Adventure Migh and Magic ?

Re: crypt - 10/23/06 17:50

personally I imagine a crypt to be dark, dusty, with cobwebs and a few skeletons lying about. This looks more like the hall of an old castle at night.
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: crypt - 10/23/06 23:15

I really like this crypt, great atmosphere too. There's one little something that I've noticed though.

When I first looked at the pillars I thought they were floating. This has got to do with the floor textures, those stones are tiling under the pillars. In real life, the (floor) stones would stop right in front of the pillars and go around them so to speak. Such pillars go deeper in the ground than just at the floor level.

I'm not a perfectionist myself, but if you would want it to be really perfect ...

Cheers
Posted By: sPlKe

Re: crypt - 10/24/06 00:10

blocks or models?

anyways, looks good. a bit too empty and clean, too light, but other than that, good work!
Posted By: EX Citer

Re: crypt - 10/24/06 07:29

Quote:

When I first looked at the pillars I thought they were floating. This has got to do with the floor textures, those stones are tiling under the pillars. In real life, the (floor) stones would stop right in front of the pillars and go around them so to speak. Such pillars go deeper in the ground than just at the floor level.

Since I am creating games I am looking at others professional games with good level design how they handle this Problem. Now be suprised alot of them don´t care about it. And I personally never saw this, because if I am playing a game I usually don´t care about such details. I also found out, that if I use the free camera mode where you can fly around in the levels, some parts look "bad" if you see them from far away and concentrate on them. Ingame you think damn this looks fantastic. I will see if I can make some screenshots of what I mean.

I know that NOLF and STEF2 used some "TGAs" to hide some borders, but I think they did it because the contrast at the borders were very high because the levels were made out of models. IF you have a good lightmap on the level, the hard contrast between the borders isn´t visible while playing.
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: crypt - 10/24/06 14:08

Actually I saw some of these 'errors' in the latest Tomb Raider game too. I guess they would have fixed it when they would have had some more time, because overall the texturing is correct.

You're right though, when you're playing a game you might not even notice this, so perhaps it's not that important to fix.

Cheers
Posted By: Germanunkol

Re: crypt - 10/24/06 20:37

I'm sorry if this has been said before... but the only thing i noticed is that the pilars and the gound texture don't "flow" into each other. the edge on the bottom of the pillar is so smooth and straight that it looks like it doesn't go with the floor. know what I mean? I'm a programmer and not a texturist, so I wouldn't know how to change that, but that's just what I noticed...
Other than that: GREAT WORK!!!
looks amazing

Micha

Re: crypt - 10/27/06 18:49

Hi all,

in these week im look at my screen on several displays and overall the level is realy bright. Maybe my monitor is realy dark. Please tell me your opinion about the darkness in these screens

Quote:

Did you make these textures? Very nice.

yes

Quote:

Will it be a level for a game ? are you trying to copy
the incoming FPS /Adventure Migh and Magic ?

No these is just a test level for testing out my skills. And yes I´m playing Dark Messiah and a lot of gothic 2 but I design these crypt without the mind to make a clone or something else.

And here are a new screen. I add some mor details and torches.

regards
SF

Posted By: Shadow969

Re: crypt - 10/27/06 19:34

Nicely done!Good atmosphere and very realistic torches(maybe you should add some oily dirt near them?).
I think that some thin dark fog to imitate the dust will look good besides you may add flickering light coronas around the flames

Re: crypt - 10/27/06 23:28

The broken floor plate is fantastic!
Posted By: Orange Brat

Re: crypt - 10/27/06 23:36

Nice screens. I would like to see a version with really dark shadows. As it stands it works just fine, but I would think the dark areas would be more pronounced. It should be as easy as bringing down the global ambient value to something along the lines of 5-15 RGB.

Re: crypt - 10/28/06 18:01

and an other screen

Posted By: Inestical

Re: crypt - 10/28/06 18:06

wow! that looks astonishing! I like the bit damaged pic in the left. What was the original one?

Re: crypt - 10/28/06 18:13

Quote:

wow! that looks astonishing! I like the bit damaged pic in the left. What was the original one?

im sorry I lost the link but here is something else image
Posted By: Wicht

Re: crypt - 10/28/06 18:16

Das optische Niveau des Levels ist extrem hoch. Sehr gute Arbeit.
Wird man dieses Level auch mal selbst antesten können?
Interessant wäre in diesem Zusammenhang die Framerate.

Re: crypt - 10/28/06 18:20

Quote:

Das optische Niveau des Levels ist extrem hoch. Sehr gute Arbeit.
Wird man dieses Level auf mal selbst antesten können?
Interessant wäre in diesem Zusammenhang die Framerate.

I will try to make a playable demo version. Maybe a tutorial by request.
The fps is 80-60 but without Calc vis or other improvements.
But these is only a two room Level in the moment
Posted By: Shadow969

Re: crypt - 10/29/06 07:19

The screens are better and better!
Posted By: Dark_samurai

Re: crypt - 10/29/06 08:45

Wow, realy cool Level with an amazing atmosphere!!!
BUT, I don't like that Firescript. It looks very unnatural and it seems like it's always the same.

Quote:

I will try to make a playable demo version. Maybe a tutorial by request.

Yeah, both would be very cool!!!

Dark_samurai

Re: crypt - 10/29/06 13:33

That ia impressive. It looks very professional and I'm not sure I can say anything to help improve it.

@Wicht, please use the language the thread started on.
Posted By: Wicht

Re: crypt - 10/29/06 18:36

@AA:

SFMAT4's location = Thüringen
Thüringen = germany

My opinion was for SFMAT4!!!
Posted By: sTOOs

Re: crypt - 10/30/06 11:05

gute arbeit. scheint so als ob man nun am grafischen standard von 2002-2003 angekommen ist. (nicht negativ gemeint)

Re: crypt - 10/30/06 13:31

Quote:

gute arbeit. scheint so als ob man nun am grafischen standard von 2002-2003 angekommen ist. (nicht negativ gemeint)

Das währe auch schon zur Veröffentlichung von A6 möglich gewesen. Ich nutze nur Blöcke, Texturen, Modelle mit einfachen Materialien und ein paar dynamische Lichter.

Re: crypt - 10/30/06 13:44

ich weiß. nicht die engine wird besser, die leute.
Posted By: Tachys

Re: crypt - 10/30/06 14:03

@AA:
With regards to not knowing what our german-speaking friends are saying,
Babelfish is your friend. And for a change, this one was an incredibly clear translation!

Give it a try!

This isn't America, and even if it was, there's no restriction on what language a person chooses to converse in... widen your horizons!
Posted By: Matt_Aufderheide

Re: crypt - 10/30/06 16:56

I for one am sick and tired of these germans thinking they own the world.. we settled this issue back in 1945 and I dont wanna see any more of that kraut gibberish in these forums! English from now on or else we may go back and drop the bombs again...

Re: crypt - 10/30/06 17:08

there are things that it doesn't seem to handle well... that ß chaeacter, for example... as in 'weiß'. I t translates that word as 'white'... which doesn't seem to make sense given the context.... 'agree' maybe?

Edit: hmmm... seems the period after the word was confusing babelfish... insert a space and the translation changes from 'I white' to 'I know'

Re: crypt - 10/30/06 17:24

Matt: Yes, Sir! English only, Sir!

Tachys: Absolutely. Your guessing is right.

Re: crypt - 10/30/06 17:54

***grins at matt***

Yeah... who do they think they are, anyway????

@Frank: Thanks!

Re: crypt - 10/30/06 18:08

eek

Re: crypt - 10/30/06 18:14

plz back to topic. thx
© 2024 lite-C Forums