WED / Map Compiler Crash at 2230 Blocks

Posted By: Yking

WED / Map Compiler Crash at 2230 Blocks - 05/28/17 23:07

Hello again Forum,

Recently I started building my first, serious map for my game.
Before that, I only used simple little maps with a few blocks for reference, but now I want to go bigger and better.

My map consists of a few pieces of terrain (3x3) and imported .mdl-files that I made in the MED (Those imported files are counted as blocks by the WED).
The imported .mdls / blocks are trees and houses for example.
The only "true" WED Blocks I have used are for alpha walls.

According to the WED-Data, I currently have about 2230 Blocks and 193 Entities placed down.

For some reason (and it was extremely time-consuming to find out) as soon as I start to put in more blocks than about 2230, the Map Compiler will always crash, "Map Compiler has stopped working".

My compiling parameters are the following:

The light in the map is completely unimportant, if possible I would have turned light calculations off completely. I only want the map to be rendered.

Also, BSP- or simple map does not really matter to me, but according to the manual, simple is faster.
I have set some parameters in a way that (according to the manual) help to speed up the building process (but it is mostly the same).

My map is nowhere near completion, I merely did a part of it and I can not go bigger since the Compiler will crash. (File size of the map is relatively small, 45mB).

I also tried it with my A7 Extra Edition Compiler (Old Compiler Version: 7.30) but it also does not work.

My questions are the following:
- Is it possible to prevent the compiler crashing?
- Can I place more blocks or did I hit a limit?
- Are there other ways of compiling a 3D-Gamestudio map?

I am very thankful for any help I can get, I seem to run into a lot of problems recently frown .
Posted By: Ayumi

Re: WED / Map Compiler Crash at 2230 Blocks - 05/29/17 12:20

Hey,

i don t know about limits but maybe solutions.

- what about Compiler warnings? (because quiet)
- what about "default settings"?
- If u set the "detail"-flag, get the same error?
- try Blockgroups
- have a look to "concave" -flag, if models are imported

Re: WED / Map Compiler Crash at 2230 Blocks - 05/29/17 15:56

Thank you for your reply, Ayumi!

Unfortunatly nothing has worked out so far,
I have run the Map Compiler a couple of times,
here are the present results:

- I turned on the compiler warnings and let it create a logfile
- I have compiled with default settings (still crashes)
- I have set the "detail"-flag (still crashes)
- I have divided my blocks up in six groups (still crashes)
- I TRIED to uncheck the "concave"-flag but it automatically activates itself again

Now, the logfile/compiler warnings are a loooooong list of "Duplicate Plane"-errors, and also a small couple of "Vertex out of plane"-errors.
But the "Duplicate Plane"-errors are... humongously many!
The Manual says that two planes are the same or similar and I should delete the object, but it looks like almost all of my objects have this problem and I don't even know why two identical planes are a problem frown

Will run the compiler a few more times, but I think I can't solve this on my own shocked

Re: WED / Map Compiler Crash at 2230 Blocks - 05/29/17 17:29

I have found this one:

http://www.conitec.com/beta/gamedesign.htm

Maybe, it helps...and i think, the "Duplicate Plane"-errors are your problem.
To test,you can try out build new Level with 2000 blocks without import (by code for example)

Re: WED / Map Compiler Crash at 2230 Blocks - 05/29/17 20:51

Thanks again Ayumi laugh

To test this, I took one of the "problematic imported" blocks (who caused a duplicate plane warning) and deleted the rest of the map in a backup.

Then I only placed the "bad" block, and copypasted until I had 6000 blocks - gazillions of "duplicate plane warnings" but the map compiled.
So, since the compiler did not crash because of this, I think I can rule the "duplicate planes"-warning out.

Will keep on testing, this is all so strange shocked

Re: WED / Map Compiler Crash at 2230 Blocks - 05/29/17 21:26

Originally Posted By: Yking
So, since the compiler did not crash because of this, I think I can rule the "duplicate planes"-warning out.

No, ..but don t forget this error.

and copypasted until I had 6000 blocks

It s a corrupted block, i think...
Check out your blocks of any damaged/narrow block.
...especially:
The imported .mdls / blocks are trees .

Re: WED / Map Compiler Crash at 2230 Blocks - 05/30/17 11:00

I went through the blocks and checked as many as I could, but at 2300 they are just too many.
It seems that if I place 1 block and copy it 10 times over next to each other, some of those blocks produce "duplicate plane"-warnings and some don't (which makes me even more confused about this).

The only "solution" that I found is, taking the detail out of the map, deleting blocks, reducing everything. That is obviously one of the worst solutions but I can't trace anything back.

I will keep an eye on this, I hope I can still figure it out and then get all my map objects back smirk
© 2024 lite-C Forums