Photoshop Texture Resolution (Pixels/Inch) ?

Posted By: kmega00

Photoshop Texture Resolution (Pixels/Inch) ? - 02/10/16 15:39

I have a question regarding the pixel resolution of a 2048x2048 or 1024x1024 skin texture. What would be a decent pixel resolution to use for model textures? One of Photoshops default sizes is 300 Pixels/Inch however I feel as if (300) would be too high.

What should I use for max and min resolutions (Pixels/Inch) for characters in game? Thanks. grin

Posted By: Kartoffel

Re: Photoshop Texture Resolution (Pixels/Inch) ? - 02/10/16 16:22

Well, pixels per inch come into play when you're going to print something, for example. In games, however, ppi doesn't do anything at all, width and height is what you should care about.

First of all it's important to use sizes that are a power of two (x and y doesn't have to be the same, though). This has something to do with how textures are stored in video memory. Other sizes work aswell but you can cause up to 75% of wasted vram for your textures.

As for the maximum size, there isn't really an upper limit (every graphics card has a limit, of course, but it's usually pretty high).
Limit-wise, you can easily use textures like 4096² but this is already pretty huge and usually not needed unless you're trying to do something special (like atlas textures, for example).

I'd just recommend you to use texture sizes that you think are good enough to contain the detail that you need while trying to keep them as small as possible in order to save memory.
Posted By: Reconnoiter

Re: Photoshop Texture Resolution (Pixels/Inch) ? - 02/10/16 16:23

I always use the defaults (200-300). Dont think it matters that much.
This may help: http://www.photoshopessentials.com/essentials/image-resolution/
Posted By: MasterQ32

Re: Photoshop Texture Resolution (Pixels/Inch) ? - 02/10/16 17:57

What Kartoffel said. DPI are solely for printing use. On a computer, the resulution is dependend on pixel count, not inch size wink
Posted By: kmega00

Re: Photoshop Texture Resolution (Pixels/Inch) ? - 02/10/16 21:49

Thanks for the info. I just want to make sure to do everything right so I won't have to spend too much time redoing work later.

Many thanks.

Unlit ship corridor with multi-purpose deck room cool
© 2024 lite-C Forums