LODs and point animations

Posted By: 3run

LODs and point animations - 12/18/11 13:21

Is there any way to create LODs and keep already existing point animations??
Posted By: HeelX

Re: LODs and point animations - 12/18/11 14:44

What kind of LOD - pro edition procedural LOD or whatelse?

Re: LODs and point animations - 12/18/11 14:52

Are LODs only working with PRO version?? I have a lot of models, and for increasing performance, I want to use LODs, I've never used them before.
Posted By: Rei_Ayanami

Re: LODs and point animations - 12/18/11 15:48

With Gamestudio you can only generate LOD models with the pro edition. You can of course use LODs generated by other programs.

Re: LODs and point animations - 12/18/11 16:44

So, I have a model with point animations (for example), what would be the best way to make LODs for it? I don't have PRO edition, only commercial.
Posted By: sivan

Re: LODs and point animations - 12/18/11 18:36

I don't have too much experience in animated models, but mdl naming *_0/_1/_2/_3.mdl works well for lod in free edition too, and 3dsmax "optimize" as I remember keeps animation. (there's a checkbox for keeping material borders if you have more). but there are two other options for it in max, what I always forget... but have some notes somewhere...
in Milkshape reducing vertices results in loss of animation and uv mapping thus I never tested.
but if you prefer free tools, try MeshLab but as I know it does not handle animations: http://meshlab.sourceforge.net/

Re: LODs and point animations - 12/18/11 19:36

Thank you sivan. I don't have max, so I can't try it out.. But I own MilkShape and fragMOTION. I lose animations with MilkShape too.. Don't know if it's possible to archive what I need with fragMOTION. Didn't try meshlab, as I need to save animations. Explain more about naming models please. Thank you for your time guys.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: LODs and point animations - 12/18/11 20:02

just an idea:
if your LODs Model (_1,_2,_3) stil have the same bones like your main model (_0) cant you just change your code to ent_animatefrom instead of ent_animate?
That case you have only one model with all the animations instead of 4. does that work?

Edit: Ah shoot, maybe i should read better. Your talking about point animations, and i talk about bones, sorry - forget it laugh

Re: LODs and point animations - 12/19/11 09:46

Thats OK man, I'm happy to hear any ideas laugh Problem isn't solved..

Re: LODs and point animations - 12/19/11 18:08

Would be great if someone could help me out..

Re: LODs and point animations - 12/19/11 18:08

Would be great if someone could help me out..
Posted By: TerraSame

Re: LODs and point animations - 12/27/11 03:33

Here's a couple a tips that might help....
First of all... Bones animated models are way better than points because the file size is so much smaller. That really helps with frame rate etc...
Then... you also need to use textures that have been optimized. I have found that using .dds files rather than .bmp or .tga etc... makes the file size way smaller and therefore the game runs much smoother...
Therefore... add it all up... use bones animation with .dds textures and your game runs way smoother...
Just my thoughts...

Re: LODs and point animations - 12/27/11 06:21

Man, I don't make models myself, I use existing models, and I can't animate.

Re: LODs and point animations - 12/27/11 13:52

Hey...
I have a pro version...
Send me one model and I will have a look at it and I will make you LOD versions and let you know my thoughts...
laugh

Re: LODs and point animations - 12/27/11 14:58

Try any of old vertex models that GS uses (which doesn't have LODs), and then let me know. Thank you.

Re: LODs and point animations - 12/27/11 20:12

Hey...
I feel a little un-easy about making LOD models of standard 3DGS models available to you or anyone...
I figure if 3DGS wanted LOD versions available, they would have made them available already.

If you want to experiment, simply create three different models and name them Something_0.mdl, Something_1.mdl, Something_2.mdl and Something_3.mdl
Then add the Something_0.mdl to your game through wed or sed... you will find that at different distances they will automatically change.

The best model should be _0 and the worst/simplest should be _3
It is possable to change the distance where the models switch.
Read the documentation...
Good Luck....

Re: LODs and point animations - 12/27/11 20:44

Thank you, for your time mate.
© 2024 lite-C Forums