Import Geometry AND Lights to WED?

Posted By: RealSerious3D

Import Geometry AND Lights to WED? - 04/08/11 17:33

I have been experimenting with creating levels in 3D software and then bringing them into WED. So far I can bring in the geometry with textures, but I have not been able to import the lights set in the 3D software. I have been exporting from my 3D software using FBX (2010) and importing into WED the same. The lights I have set in the 3D application are point lights. Do I need to use a different sort of light (area light, etc) or does the FBX importer for WED not import light data?

Any help with importing lighting from 3D software into WED would be appreciated.

PS - Yes, eventually I plan to bake lighting into the textures. For now, I just want to see exporting/importing lighting into WED is possible. Thanks.
Posted By: Paul_L_Ming

Re: Import Geometry AND Lights to WED? - 04/08/11 20:38

Hiya.

Not sure that's possible without writing your own importer. What I would do, is create a NULL object and place it where I have my lights. Name the NULL "light". When you import, it *should* keep the null "light" listed as a light.

Now, I've never tried this...but that is how it worked when I used QuArK for mapping; it could save .map, and when I imported it all the lights I placed were still there...but not listed as "light". But if I changed their name in QuArK first (by creating a special entity called "light"), then it imported as a default light.
Posted By: RealSerious3D

Re: Import Geometry AND Lights to WED? - 04/08/11 22:28

Thanks for the response. It's too bad that WED's FBX importer does not import lights. FBX certainly stores the data. The old Max2GS plugin would export point lights from 3DS MAX to GameStudio's format. I was hoping that WED's FBX importer would do the same (convert point lights to WED's lights).
© 2024 lite-C Forums