TrueSpace VS Blender

Posted By: Carlos3DGS

TrueSpace VS Blender - 05/28/09 16:24

I am looking for an alternative to MED. But I don't want to use expensive sowftware like Maya or 3dsMax.

The alternatives I have been sugested are blender and truespace.

Personally I don't like the interface for blender, but I have read in many webpages that there are compatibility issues with truespace.

Examples quoted from another web:

Quote:
This is true. if the UI for Blender were intuitive, then I would drop 2 of the 3 other products I have like a hot potato. But, I just cannot wrap my mind around it like the people who have had it since the beginning.

Quote:
And that's why I'm still using Blender

Hi. I know the title seems a little provocative.

trueSpace 7.51 is a wonderful, absolute amazing and a great tool.
So why do I use Blender then, though I have licensed trueSpace 7.51.

The reason is simple enough.

I can't export my work to something usable by either GameStudio A7
or Torque Advance which are among the most used game engines
for the indie game market.

Why are the game exporters removed? There used to be exporters
for both GameStudio and Torque. Using the old ones (tsx) in the model
does not work either... Why.. Because they are old and don't support
the formats (mdl is now mdl7 in gamestudio as an example)

I was around in early testing of ts7.0 and pointed out the need for
game exporters and they existed (at least GameStudio) during the
Beta. After have being away from trueSpace since, I updated to
latest ts7.51e and was very surprised to see that ts7.5 is still an
closed tool width lack of exporters.

It does not help me or anyone interested in game production that
trueSpace is a great tool when its not possible to export the work.

A good FBX exporter would solve the problem for most game engines,
but as you all know there is no such thing either.

Ok. I can export objects as OBJ or 3DS files and used other software to
get things together although that's a tedious work which also often
leads to errors because local differences in same file formats (even though
they should be the same, it seems that 3DS and others have dialects
that won't work together). OBJ seems to be the only reliable format.

But the worst thing of all ... trueSpace skeletons and animation tools
are soooo great, especially together with Mr Bones wonderful skeleton.
All this and there is no possibility to export any rigs or animations
( ... at least ...could we get a fbx exporter ).

So here I am.. building armatures and animations in Blender (which has
fbx, mdl7 and torque exporters) and the trueSpace desktop icon has since
long been move to 'unused desktop shortcuts' by Windows.

Is that not a shame?

I own one of the greatest tools and can't use it because my work
is not possible to get out of the system.

My hope is that anyone now gives a reply telling me that I am
a real looser which just don't know how to get the animated figures
from trueSpace to GameStudio A7 (which I'm currently using). That
would just be great to hear and I would not be offended at all

Please tell me that a 600$ tool can do what the free Blender can.

Cheers
Roland

(which still has hope .. )

Quote:
Hi again

Tested your suggestions

Blender
Collada import
OBJ import
BHV import
GameStudio MDL7 export
FBX export
+ Exports both MDL7 and FBX
- Have to do the skinning here
- Collada importer don't accept tS dae files

Note:
So far the best and cheapest solution

fragMotion
OBJ import
BHV import
GameStudio MDL7 exp
+ Exports MDL7
- Have to do the skinning here

Note:
This works but is no better than using Blender
which is free.

Ultimate Unwrapper
Collada Import
GameStudio A7 export
FBX export
- Collada importer don't accept tS dae files

Note:
The Ultimate Unwrapper would have been great
as it would need no extra work. But as the collada
import fails this fails.

Thank's for your effort to help
and hopefully Caligari someday will give us fbx export or
a Collada export (includng animations) that will
be accepted by third party tools as Ultimate Unwrapper.

Cheers
Roland

I would like to know if this is true. And also what you guys think that are the pro's and con's of these two programs. I would like to know your personal opinions comparing these two programs and also another one I have heard about, "milkshape".
Posted By: Quad

Re: TrueSpace VS Blender - 05/28/09 17:07

ultimate pro of the blender

there is a great blender script to export complete levels from blender, thanks to ventilator.
Posted By: christian

Re: TrueSpace VS Blender - 05/28/09 19:42

Blender is by far the most powerful complete application you can get until you start looking at Maya, Modo , Lightwave etc.
The main reason people do not use blender seems to be 1) the user interface and 2) it is not an industry standard.

Truespace has always had a reputation for bugs, and its future is now in question.

Milkshape and wings are very good stable modelers but are limited packages, your animation options may be limited.
Milkshape seems to be the most popular replacement for MED.

If you want to use truespace and you cannot export to Mdl you can use ultimate unwrap... it does a good job converting files even if you do not use it for skinning.

If you need to create cut scenes and cover art blender is your best choice.
Posted By: Tiles

Re: TrueSpace VS Blender - 05/29/09 06:33

Quote:
If you need to create cut scenes and cover art blender is your best choice.

This can also be done in trueSpace.

The question for a beginner is not so much which is the most powerful software but which software is the one you are comfortable with. Download them both, try the beginner stuff and decide by yourself. Nobody can do that decision for you.

3D is pretty complex. It needs months to learn the basics, and you never stop learning. Once you know the basics you can have a second look which package gives you the needed power.
Posted By: LordMoggy

Re: TrueSpace VS Blender - 05/29/09 08:46

I think that Conitec should buy Wings3d and use the .FBX importer and exporter which works for static models. But then build maybe from the ground up the animation core that we could use to export the .fbx as an animation model.(or maybe find a way to use med's animations core) And if it is not to much trouble include .dae import and export into wings3d with the same abilities as .fbx. Because Conitec loves to code maybe they can hire the key people from the wings team and join them with the team of med(which was once called "qoole" which they bought in the early years when they where trying to build a complete tool for 3d game development). They really should consider this, because making 3d games should never be a hard process. It should be a fun and enjoyable one, like when we play the games we make.

cheers

Moggy

ps. JCL If your reading this mate, please seriously think about this and discuss with your team and the wings team to see if this can be achieved anything is possible. It would really help the newbies to develop a game quickly and build from there. Once again thanks for any help you can provide to you loyal 3dgamestudio followers!

Re: TrueSpace VS Blender - 05/29/09 08:59

To answer your question i have looked at all programs read all about there features and still after years of research that i have done none are truely complete because of the file formats being incomplete or bug ridden. Even Maya and Max have bugs in the file formats! So until we have a solid cross platform file format nothing will ever be complete in the 3d gaming world. Unless you like pulling your hair out!!!

Personally i would wait for .fbx and .dae to mature into the best cross platform file formats.

But if you like pulling your hair out, and the women you date love sexy bald men then be my guest go for it! hahaha wink
Posted By: ventilator

Re: TrueSpace VS Blender - 05/29/09 10:41

open source programs can't really be bought. just use them and change them to your needs. smile a problem with wings3d is that it is written in erlang which is a very exotic programming language. the customizable blender 2.5 would be a much better fit for gamestudio but i don't think conitec is interested officially going with blender. WED and MED are the studio part of gamestudio and a selling point even if they are a bit crappy. smile replacing them with an open source solution would be a bit hard to market i guess.
Posted By: Nowherebrain

Re: TrueSpace VS Blender - 05/29/09 11:01

Besides, I thoroughly believe that by learning blender now, you will save time later.

Often people remark that blender cannot compete with the "big dogs", this is just not true...in many, if not most, I find blender to be the superior and getting better constantly.
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: TrueSpace VS Blender - 05/29/09 11:54

I often found professional artists using Blender for certain tasks. So I read often in the Lightwave forum that they like to use Blender for animation. The same can be found in the Modo forum. And many like it for some features like a fluid simulation.

But still they often do not give their major tool up. They use both.

With all this in mind we also have to remember, that at least 50 percent, probably way more of these functionalities are not needed for creating game levels or models. You could do that in any other 3d software as well.
Posted By: Felixsg

Re: TrueSpace VS Blender - 05/29/09 16:30

the new version of blender have interface improvements
the truespace was the first tool to direct manipulation
of the objects
but is dead, not more support for the exporter or anyelse

when the blender 2.5 will be ready I think blender gain more points

edit:
the link
http://www.blendernation.com/2009/05/28/blender25-tour-vi/

Re: TrueSpace VS Blender - 05/29/09 17:10

That there is no more official further development in trueSpace doesn't mean that trueSpace is dead or useless. The currently working features didn't disappear, they are still in the app. It's just the official development that is stopped. Plugin developers are still at work. And community gives help too.

Quote:
when the blender 2.5 will be ready I think blender gain more points

Features are not everything. Too bad that Blender Devs ignore that since years and years wink

Re: TrueSpace VS Blender - 05/29/09 18:28

"Features are not everything"
This is an important point!
If your main goal is to produce models for gamestudio why use either one of these programs?
MED can be difficult to use at times but you don't have to worry about export/import and it cannot be more difficult to learn then Blenders' bizarre hotkeys or truespaces' bizarre icons!
So I would still say stick with MED or try milkshape.

Edit... I stuck with blender after trying truespace and carrara a short time ago and one reason was that blender used fewer computer resources. I could do basic modeling on my laptop with blender when truespace and carrara froze the system. I have never seen a discussion on the relative hardware requirements of these apps though.
Posted By: ratchet

Re: TrueSpace VS Blender - 05/29/09 20:48

Well , i use Blender for very long time.
I can only say, it's really great.
I use it for modeling, UV Mapping , rigging with weight paint and animations.

The only problem : it need you to learn the interface and the panels : i recognize , the panels are confusing some times.

You can use it without any key shortcut if you want , and you have a context menu in 3D window if you press space.

There are lot of shortcuts : did you know you can have a multitool like in Silo , just by pressing a button , shift plus another button ?

You can add rotation tool if you want.

That's the sort of little things that make you win lot of time in modeling.

Well, if you add the top notch script of Ventilator to export animated characters, that's the tool smile

Re: TrueSpace VS Blender - 05/30/09 19:53

Thankyou for all that info and help everyone! smile
I have a couple of new questions now. wink

Do any of you know if milkshape can export directly for med?
Or does it also have issues with skin/animation like truespace?

Between milkshape and wings which do you guys prefer, and why?

P.S.: The new version of blender looks great, cant wait for that new UI.
Posted By: jimc74

Re: TrueSpace VS Blender - 05/30/09 20:04

I prefer Wings over milkshape, because
Wings seems to be a lot more advanced
when it comes to low-poly tools....
it is unbelievable, you have to see for yourself...

I might use Blender, for texturing, light baking,
and other cool stuff....

but wings + truespace (or Blender) would probably be better than Milkshape...

But I think Milkshape is easy to use (but then again, Wings is easy too)...

-Jim

Re: TrueSpace VS Blender - 05/30/09 20:34

Can wings export with no problems for med?
Does wings have any skin/animation issues for exporting like truespace?
Posted By: Nowherebrain

Re: TrueSpace VS Blender - 05/30/09 21:03

AFAIK, blender is the only decent tool for exporting animations directly to MED. There are others, but it is the easiest and most straight forward to me.
Posted By: jimc74

Re: TrueSpace VS Blender - 05/30/09 21:14

I use either Fragmotion or Blender to texture my
models, and then bring it in.
Wings exports to .3DS and .X and .FBX so one of them
would work (haven't tried it recently)...

Wings doesn't animate, but it is a REALLY good low-poly tool....
Wings texturing isn't fun.... but exists...
(you can even model only with wings, and texture / animate elsewhere,
(Blender - free , Fragmotion $15, characterfx - free,
and I think there are other free animators, but I don't know much about --
K-3D, Art of Illusion)
Posted By: amy

Re: TrueSpace VS Blender - 05/31/09 07:22

Originally Posted By: Tiles
That there is no more official further development in trueSpace doesn't mean that trueSpace is dead or useless. The currently working features didn't disappear, they are still in the app. It's just the official development that is stopped. Plugin developers are still at work. And community gives help too.
Of course it is dead. It may not be totally useless now but soon enough. Time doesn't stand still.

Who wants to stay with a half-finished product that won't see any progress anymore? Spending time with trueSpace is a waste of time. Better look for alternatives sooner than later.

Re: TrueSpace VS Blender - 05/31/09 07:50

Quote:
Of course it is dead. It may not be totally useless now but soon enough. Time doesn't stand still.

Have to disagree here. A vertice stays a vertice, a face a face, and a bone a bone. Just think of Milkshape here. That is what i call basic, here the time stands indeed still. But it is still popular wink

I have learned to use a tool as long as it does the job. And start to search for alternatives when the tool doesn't do the job anymore, not earlier. trueSpace does the job for me. Most other packages not. Be it because they are too expensive or too limited or unusable.

Half finished means in our case that it includes the complete old version 6.6 as a plugin, that it has complete and working modeling tools, that it has a working bones system, that it ...

Regarding progress, the plugin developers are still active. Now even more than before because most of them were Beta testers. And now they have more time. Some of those guys have for example already fixed some of the quirks that were introduced by the rushed release. Plugins are in development. New tools and functionality is in discussion ...

trueSpace is not dead. It's just the official development that is stopped wink

Re: TrueSpace VS Blender - 05/31/09 08:08

It won't adapt to new windows or directx versions, it won't be able to make use of new hardware, it won't have any new features the competition will come up with,... In a few years it will be useless and you will have an outdated skill set. If you don't just do 3D as a hobby then I wouldn't wait so long for a switch.

How can plugin authors fix bugs in the closed source core?

What a waste of time to work on plugins which will result in a patched up mess. :p

Milkshape doesn't progress either (actually I would call it dead too) but at least its author is still around for bug fixes as far as I know. If you are into simplicistic and limited 3D modeling and animation software then there are better alternatives like fragMOTION.

Re: TrueSpace VS Blender - 05/31/09 09:18

Quote:
It won't adapt to new windows or directx versions

Well, the engine of the old core is made for DX8. There are no big changes in DX8 in the future. The new core is made to work with DX9. Which also will not have this much changings anymore in the future. SO while this is true it doesn't really matter. And an exported mesh doesn't care about the DX engine of tS anyways ...

Quote:

it won't be able to make use of new hardware

Possible. Works currently fine at XP and Vista though, plus all graphics cards that supports DX9. And there is a chance that it will also work with Win 7 then.
Quote:

it won't have any new features the competition will come up with

As told, Plugin developers are still at work.

Quote:
In a few years it will be useless and you will have an outdated skill set

As told, a vertice is a vertice. An endgeloop will stay an edgeloop. And it will be a edgeloop in 100 years too. I make my graphics now, not in a few years. In a few years i may have a look for another tool then smile

Quote:
How can plugin authors fix bugs in the closed source core?

trueSpace has a very open modular architecture. They can simply write scripted replacements. Not possible in all cases, but in lots. One of the plugdevs has already fixed some quirks that were introduced by the rushed release. One example: broken weightpaint is back working. I expect to see more than one fix be done that way by plugin developers.

Quote:
What a waste of time to work on plugins which will result in a patched up mess. :p

You would be right when it would end in a patched up mess. But i don't see that happen. What i see is that Plugdevs finishes and expand what Caligari has started.

A good example is the VRay renderer story. Caligari has removed it, the Plugdevs have plugged in Yafaray renderer then as a substitute smile

Quote:
Milkshape doesn't progress either (actually I would call it dead too) but at least its author is still around for bug fixes as far as I know. If you are into simplicistic and limited 3D modeling and animation software then there are better alternatives like fragMOTION.

Neither Milkshape nor Fragmotion is an alternative for me. The tS bones are useful and stable enough for my needs now that IK 2 is implemented. And i wouldn't call them simplicistic or limited. Still a bit buggy though, yes. But i can live with that.

Let's talk about the pros. There is, at least at the moment, no other 3D package with a this good realtime engine implemented. You always need to load your graphcis into your game to have a look how it turns out. tS Workspace works with DX shaders. You can directly have a look how it plays together.

Re: TrueSpace VS Blender - 05/31/09 10:28

Quote:
As told, a vertice is a vertice. An endgeloop will stay an edgeloop. And it will be a edgeloop in 100 years too.
It was also the same several decades ago but mesh coordinates had to be typed in or even be punched into punch cards and now we have modeling tools like modo and silo. smile

Re: TrueSpace VS Blender - 05/31/09 11:11

Hmm, you underestimate tS not just a little bit. And i somehow doubt that you ever had a look at its tools. Should've know this when you started to compare it with Milkshape or Fragmotion. For your info, trueSpace is a complete 3D package, not just a one trick tool. And the existing tools are up to date.

Compare it with Blender. Here you have the real competitor because tS is freeware. Compare it with commercial apps like Carrara, C4D, XSI etc. , or even with the big boys like Max or Maya. And then i may share your opinion that tS is weaker. But the comparisons that you introduce here makes no sense, sorry.

To compare tS with Milkshape, with Fragmotion, with decades old software and to state that you need to use punch cards to use trueSpace is simply wrong. You cannot rig and animate characters in Modo nor can you rig and animate characters in Silo. So also this comparison fails smile

Nearly everything that you can model in Modo or Silo can be modeled in trueSpace too. Without the need to use punch cards. And not slower. It has most of the needed point edit and edgeloop tools. Where it lacks a bit is the sculpting tools. But i'm a boxmodeler anyways, and miss nothing really. I make mainly low poly content.

From what i can read makes me think that you dislike trueSpace without even knowing its power. But you don't have to use it when you don't want to smile

Re: TrueSpace VS Blender - 05/31/09 12:13

Where did I compare trueSpace to Milkshape? I didn't. I just mentioned Milkshape because you mentioned it.

And I mentioned modo and silo in the context of modeling tools as a response to your "a vertex is a vertex, a polygon is a polygon,..." blah blah blah. smile Also not as a comparison to trueSpace. Just to point out that "a vertex is a vertex, a polygon is a polygon,..." is only true on the surface. If your tool of choice stops progress then all other "a vertex is a vertex, a polygon is a polygon,..." tools will overtake it left and right after a few years. Currently some people look into combining the advantages of subdivision surfaces modeling with the advantages of NURBS (trims,...), probably voxel based sculpting will get popular,...

Re: TrueSpace VS Blender - 05/31/09 13:24

Quote:
Where did I compare trueSpace to Milkshape? I didn't. I just mentioned Milkshape because you mentioned it.

And I mentioned modo and silo in the context of modeling tools as a response to your "a vertex is a vertex, a polygon is a polygon,..." blah blah blah. smile Also not as a comparison to trueSpace.

Well, this one here ...

Quote:

... can be read as, trueSpace plays in the same league than Milkshape and Fragmotion, which are both limited and simplicistic. Same counts for introducing Modo and Silo into the discussion.

You connect your words in a way that pretty well introduces comparisons. Which are as wrong as your conclusions. Blah blah blah is what you do here. But yea, maybe i just have misunderstood you here smile

Quote:
Just to point out that "a vertex is a vertex, a polygon is a polygon,..." is only true on the surface.If your tool of choice stops progress then all other "a vertex is a vertex, a polygon is a polygon,..." tools will overtake it left and right after a few years.Currently some people look into combining the advantages of subdivision surfaces modeling with the advantages of NURBS (trims,...), probably voxel based sculpting will get popular,...

This is simply not true. That a vertex is a vertex is true as long as there is 3d. Vertices are there since 3D has started. And they will be there in the end too. That is no surface, that is the core.

Nurbs is an old hat. Voxel too. Both as nearly as old as 3D. And surprise, we still use vertices and edges to model our meshes. And believe me, this will not change so quick, not even in the farer future. Benefits of mesh data over voxeldata or nurbsdata is too big wink

The future may be interesting when it comes to new technologies. But that is a completely different chapter. I cannot shape my meshes with future features or promises. I need existing tools in the now time. Future development doesn't really help me at this.

It is not right that a tool, in our case trueSpace is dead and useless from one moment to the other because the development has stopped. None of the functions and tools has vanished. It is all there to make graphics with trueSpace.

A tool is dead when the functions are not longer good enough. And when nobody uses it anymore. trueSpace is years away from that.

And to tell it again, all that has stopped is the official development. Plugin developers are still at work. trueSpace still grows smile

Re: TrueSpace VS Blender - 05/31/09 16:44

first of all, thankyou everyone for the info.

I have also been doing some research myself in other forums, and many are saying blender is great now thanks to "Tuhopuu2" but I am having dificulties finding out what it is and what it is for.

I was wondering if any of you knew what it was and what it is for (and if you could help me out)?

-What is it? Is it another program or a plugin for blender?
-What is it for? Texturing, modeling, animating?

Re: TrueSpace VS Blender - 06/01/09 06:08

I think Tuhopuu was just a testing branch of Blender.
Developers used it to make radical changes to the program. Sometimes if the changes were useful they were incorporated into the program. Supposedly much of the current version of Blender came from Tuhopuu but that is just hearsay... you would have to see the developer logs to know if that is true. AFAIK tuhopuu has been inactive for over three years. I don't think it has anything to do with the supposed upcoming reworking of the UI.

Re: TrueSpace VS Blender - 06/02/09 13:06

Originally Posted By: Carlos3DGS
Thankyou for all that info and help everyone! smile
I have a couple of new questions now. wink

Do any of you know if milkshape can export directly for med?
Or does it also have issues with skin/animation like truespace?

Between milkshape and wings which do you guys prefer, and why?

P.S.: The new version of blender looks great, cant wait for that new UI.

to answer question one it can, but with issues and no .fbx that i can remember!

to answer question two i prefer wings3d because its free and is simple to use and understand no hot keys to remeber unless you want too. nothing like click and create haha wink

now if they had animation that would be awesome. they have .fbx export which works i have tested it. But only for static models. Thats why i want conitec to buy it even though its opensource. Open source always has it is price to sell haha wink

as for your last comment if by some miracle in august the blender 2.50 gui release is a success then blend me some models baby!!!

For me the main tools to stick to for modeling are WINGS3D for speed modeling etc. TrueSpace for overall modeling pity no true export except collada and maybe fbx when ready. Then Blender for overall modeling etc....file export i hear is good but that GUI IS UGLY I will WAIT till august if she became a true GUI STICKY SEXSUAL MODELER to Play with!!!!

Re: TrueSpace VS Blender - 06/02/09 13:08

Originally Posted By: Carlos3DGS
Can wings export with no problems for med?
Does wings have any skin/animation issues for exporting like truespace?

ONLY EXPORTING STATIC MODELS USING .FBX

IT HAS NO ANIMATION I WISH IT DID!!!!! CONITEC BUYS WINGS PLEASE!!!

Re: TrueSpace VS Blender - 06/03/09 22:26

ok, after everyone's responses I have some things clear...

-truespace has issues with animation when exporting for med
-milkshape has issues with animation when exporting for med
-wings3d does not have any animation when exporting either...

So now I have some other doubts...

-Do I have to animate with med?
-Is blender good for animating, and does it have any issues
whith skins/animations when exporting for med?
-Also... how do I go about exporting to med using blender, is
it some kind of plugin? If so, where can I get that plugin?

Re: TrueSpace VS Blender - 06/04/09 01:16

You will need Ventilators' plugin.
You can find the plugin and a tutorial here...http://machinimist.googlepages.com/. I copied this address from ventilators sig.
There are several blender threads going on in the different tools sections of 3dgs forums.

One thing I do not think anyone has pointed out is that the most efficient way to get models into your game is to buy them from people who specialize in making models. To make models for your games you will need to learn to model them, rig them and most important how to paint them. That is a whole lot of learning to do unless you really enjoy it.

Re: TrueSpace VS Blender - 06/04/09 06:19

Quote:
-truespace has issues with animation when exporting for med
-milkshape has issues with animation when exporting for med
-wings3d does not have any animation when exporting either...

All 3d software has issues with animation, not only when exporting. There is always here and there a bit that doesn't work as thought. Even when you use Blender. Not sure what your issues are for trueSpace. My pipeline with using Ultimate Unwrap 3D as a converter works good. And it isn't this expensive.

Quote:
One thing I do not think anyone has pointed out is that the most efficient way to get models into your game is to buy them from people who specialize in making models. To make models for your games you will need to learn to model them, rig them and most important how to paint them. That is a whole lot of learning to do unless you really enjoy it.

How true. To master a 3D software takes lots of effort and time. And to master a bones system takes lots of time and effort too. Animation is normally the last bit you learn in 3D. This is something for when you know how to model and texture your mesh.
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: TrueSpace VS Blender - 06/04/09 11:03

Originally Posted By: Tiles
Quote:

Have to disagree here. A vertice stays a vertice, a face a face, and a bone a bone. Just think of Milkshape here. That is what i call basic, here the time stands indeed still. But it is still popular wink

This is true for today, so you are partly right, but Amy is right in the long run.

Sooner or later it will die. The new innovations are no more vertices and polygons. Coat3d shows this already. The artists dont care about polygons and vertices, they sculpt and not like you do in ZBrush, they do it with voxels, completely free, just drawing heir mouse. Polygons are still supported for retopology.

Many tools will catch up here. Even John Carmack wants to support this in his upcoming id-Tech game engine, there you can sculpt and render everything in Voxel trees. He is talking to hardware vendors to support his concept. The new Intel graphic chip is just a multi-processor cpu and can support such new concepts also. There is more flexibility, software renderers are part of this future.

Polygons will die as well as Truespace will die. It will not happen today, but it will.

New tools have to adapt and to evolve.

Re: TrueSpace VS Blender - 06/04/09 22:19

Does the exporter plugin work with the current version of blender? (2.49 i think)
Or do I have to use only version 2.41?

Does the blender->med export work good with skins and animation or are there issues like in trueshape, milkshape, or wings?

Re: TrueSpace VS Blender - 06/04/09 22:22

i haven't tested it yet (only with 2.48) but it should work with 2.49. textures get exported. animations work well too but bone animations don't support weighted bones at the moment (which only work in pro anyway).

Re: TrueSpace VS Blender - 06/07/09 21:51

I have finally decided, thanks smile

time to learn blender, hehehe
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: TrueSpace VS Blender - 06/07/09 22:46

vent, im not sure if its 2.48 or the fact that 2.49 uses an update to python, but i do get errors now from it.

Re: TrueSpace VS Blender - 06/07/09 23:09

if you post the error messages i can say more.

Re: TrueSpace VS Blender - 06/09/09 17:35

On youtube someone said I need python for bender, is this true?
Do I have to install python? If so, what version?

Re: TrueSpace VS Blender - 06/09/09 17:55

no, you usually don't need python. only if you want to use a script which depends on modules that aren't included in the blender distribution.

if you want to install python for blender then you have to use the same version blender uses (which is 2.5 as far as i know for the current windows release).

Re: TrueSpace VS Blender - 06/09/09 17:56

This is just true for some special stuff. You can run Blender without Python too. And you will not miss any functionality.

Just in case you want to install Python, don`t use the newest version, use Python 2.5. Current Blender version is not compatible with the newest Python from what i know.

Re: TrueSpace VS Blender - 06/09/09 18:15

Do I need it for your med exporter?

Re: TrueSpace VS Blender - 06/09/09 18:20

no, it isn't needed for my exporter. i have tested it with blender 2.49 now and it still seems to work without problems.

Re: TrueSpace VS Blender - 06/09/09 18:23

on the python web I found 2.5.4
will that version be ok?

Re: TrueSpace VS Blender - 06/09/09 18:54

yes, the number after the second point doesn't matter.

Re: TrueSpace VS Blender - 06/09/09 19:05

Unless something has changed blender only works with python 2.5.2 so that is the version you need to install and the exporter should work with that.

Re: TrueSpace VS Blender - 06/09/09 19:06

I downloaded your file: export_3dgs_mdl7.py
Where do I place the file? Inside the folder "\Blender\plugins\include" ?
© 2024 lite-C Forums