can not copy old files over to new A7

Posted By: DAVIDMORETON

can not copy old files over to new A7 - 09/25/15 16:41

Dear Sirs,
I have spent a long time building a game using A7 - and then some files in 3dgs got corrupted and I needed to re-install A7.
I made a copy of all the files(including A7) on a big memory ‘stick’ - reinstalled A7 on the computer, and then tried to access the old files on the ‘stick’. I can access them, and select them, BUT ICAN NOT COPY THEM over to the new A7 workspace to rebuild the game.
Any idea why I can not do this please? Any help would be appreciated.
Kind regards, David

david@davidmoreton1.wanadoo.co.uk
Posted By: sitrep

Re: can not copy old files over to new A7 - 09/25/15 17:02

try another stick and see what happens , are you able to copy from it?
try another USB port
check if the problem persists when booting into safe mode
can u copy them to a desktop folder ?

Posted By: Realspawn

Re: can not copy old files over to new A7 - 09/25/15 17:11

make sure the new A7 workspace is empty so you can drag your old files right into them. Windows has sometimes a nasty habbit of not copying over files laugh So make sure the parts you want to copy are not in the new a7 work folder
Posted By: DLively

Re: can not copy old files over to new A7 - 09/26/15 14:23

Try placing your project in my documents, and open it from there.

Edit: Is the problem that you can't copy them off your thumb drive?
+ Do you have access to another computer?
Posted By: DAVIDMORETON

Re: can not copy old files over to new A7 - 09/26/15 17:14

Hi Folks - thanks for your answers.
When the old A7 got corrupted, I copied all the files (and old A7) onto a disc and then onto a memory stick. Both have an old doc file on them, and that copies across OK - it is just the old A7 files which will not copy. I can select them, and even add a new 'block' to one of the files, but it won't copy across.
It would seem that there is something in the old files which is preventing the copy - but I don't know what !!
Any other ideas please?

JUST found out that I can copy script files and sections from the 'old' manual ok - it is only the WED layout and the parts in it (WMB and MED)that will not copy.
Kind regards, Davd
Posted By: Aku_Aku

Re: can not copy old files over to new A7 - 09/26/15 22:32

Did you do the backup and later the restore with the same user?
Maybe you should take over the rights of the old files...
Here is an example for taking ownership from the technet
Posted By: jcl

Re: can not copy old files over to new A7 - 09/30/15 07:20

If you can not copy the files even in an empty folder under "My Documents", the reason can indeed be a corruption on the source drive. This can happen with USB sticks. The files are then not accessible anymore even though they appear in the directory.

I have not yet had such a case, but there may be solutions on the web, google for "usb stick file recovery".

Otherwise do a fresh A7 installation from the A7 version on the download page.
© 2024 lite-C Forums