problem with media_play (avi files)

Posted By: pegamode

problem with media_play (avi files) - 09/23/09 06:42

Hi,

we've got some avi files (xvid, 24bit, Koepi XviD 1.2.2 Codec).

When I try to play these files with media_play the engine crashes without any error message. In the logfile the last line printed is <avi-name> is opened.

Is it possible to play such avis with media_play or do we have to use another codec?

Regards,
Pegamode
Posted By: jcl

Re: problem with media_play (avi files) - 09/23/09 07:13

A crash of a CODEC can be considered a strong hint that you should better use another CODEC.

Re: problem with media_play (avi files) - 09/23/09 07:29

Is there any free avi codec you would recommend?

By the way ... the avis are played in windows media player without any problem.
Posted By: Tobias

Re: problem with media_play (avi files) - 09/24/09 19:50

MPEG?

Re: problem with media_play (avi files) - 10/05/09 13:38

I found out that the problem was not the video codec but the audio codec.

Currently I've got the problem that I have a lag of 1-2 secs when calling media_play ... in the manual a few milliseconds are mentioned, but not seconds :-(
and it's not a delay ... the whole game lags.

Any hints on that problem?

Regards,
Pegamode.

Re: problem with media_play (avi files) - 10/06/09 13:42

What do you mean with "lag"? Just a bad frame rate when that movie is playing, or really a lag between video and audio?

Re: problem with media_play (avi files) - 10/06/09 15:14

The whole game hangs about 1-2 seconds when media_play is called (during that time the avi is not started at all) and then continues without any slowdown when the avi is played. It seems that the init of the codec freezes the whole game during that time. In window mode I see the display flickering two times black and then the avi starts ... maybe it's a problem between the codec and that graphic card driver.

Re: problem with media_play (avi files) - 10/06/09 15:18

No, the CODEC has theoretically no access to the graphics card driver. So the problem is something else - maybe something hat happens when the CODEC loads the file, maybe the program that generated your movie file. But I don't think I can help here much. I've never written a CODEC and have not much experience with video file formats.

To be on the safe side, better use a standard format such as AVI/MPEG or WMV.
Posted By: Superku

Re: problem with media_play (avi files) - 10/08/09 19:34

The file simply has to be loaded.

Re: problem with media_play (avi files) - 10/09/09 07:24

Originally Posted By: H.F.Pohl
The file simply has to be loaded.

I don't understand what you want to tell us with that ?!?

Re: problem with media_play (avi files) - 10/09/09 09:31

Normally the CODEC does not load the whole file, but just the start, and already plays it while loading the rest. But maybe for some reason this mechanism doesn't work due to a bug in the CODEC.
Posted By: Superku

Re: problem with media_play (avi files) - 10/09/09 18:34

@pegamode: Open your movie-file with your common media player, there will be a lag of 1-2 (or even more) seconds, too.
Posted By: Clemens

Re: problem with media_play (avi files) - 08/26/11 19:49

I had a similar problem (with movies in wmv format) - till I started it in full screen modus. Just wondering, if there is a possibility to have during the millisecond loading time a white instead of a black screen?
Posted By: Tobias

Re: problem with media_play (avi files) - 08/27/11 10:52

When you play it on a texture, maybe filling the texture with white before?
© 2024 lite-C Forums