A8 Version 8.010 Public Beta

Posted By: jcl

A8 Version 8.010 Public Beta - 07/12/10 08:17

The new version 8.01 is now ready for a public beta test. You can find a list of the new features here:

http://manual.3dgamestudio.net/newfeatures8.htm

Please install this version in a new folder; do not install it in your old A7 folder. Some remarks:

- This is a public beta of the free version only. However, users who already own a key file with "*.dta" extension can use it to unlock this free version to Extra, Com, or Pro. Users who purchased or upgraded A7 since March 2010, but have not yet a *.dta key, can contact Support with their purchase info and will receive the new key file.

- Some A8 features, such as shadowmapping and OpenAL, are not yet included in this beta. They will be included in the next A8 update.

- This version has three known bugs. One beta tester reported a particle error on level change in a large A6 C-Script project. It was too large for upload and we could not reproduce this bug here. So I hope we can find out more when someone encounters the same bug during the public beta test.

- The second known bug is an ominous error message when you start GED the first time. Please disregard that message.

- The third bug is that one user could not install the free version - it always installed the trial version on his PC. You can fix this as described some posts below when you encounter this problem.

Please test everything carefully and if you find a bug, please report it to the bug forum.
Posted By: Helghast

Re: A8 Free Version 8.01 Public Beta - 07/12/10 08:39

Thanks JCL! early X-mas this year grin
Posted By: Rich

Re: A8 Free Version 8.01 Public Beta - 07/12/10 08:55

grin

Originally Posted By: jcl

- The third bug is that one user could not install the free version - it always installed the trial version on his PC. Please report when you encounter this problem.

I think I might be experiencing this. I selected free version from the installer, and when I try to run the engine I get "trial period expired". Uninstalled and reinstalled a few times, and tried different install locations. Win7 ultimate 64 bit is the OS.

Update: If I choose "run as administrator", the engine will run but says 30 days remaining.

Re: A8 Free Version 8.01 Public Beta - 07/12/10 09:00

Please download this file and unzip it into your Gstudio8 folder:

http://server.conitec.net/down/key8s.zip

Under Win7 you must login as administrator for copying a file in a program folder. Please let me know if you get the free version then.

Re: A8 Free Version 8.01 Public Beta - 07/12/10 09:03

Thanks JCL. I tested that and it now says free version when I start the engine.
Posted By: Liamissimo

Re: A8 Free Version 8.01 Public Beta - 07/12/10 10:16

I have never been so happy about software grin

But I can't use the Preview in the Engine because there is an error with an file called %1.c
Posted By: Tobias

Re: A8 Free Version 8.01 Public Beta - 07/12/10 10:43

Thanks for the public beta! Everything works fine so far.

Re: A8 Free Version 8.01 Public Beta - 07/12/10 10:53

When I am trying to use one of those pxent Commands I am always getting undeclared identifier. Do I have to include a new Header like ackphysx? But no problem, I'll have a llok at the examples
Posted By: pegamode

Re: A8 Free Version 8.01 Public Beta - 07/12/10 10:58

@TheLiam:

http://www.conitec.net/beta/physX_open.htm

You have to add:

ackphysX.h

Posted By: Superku

Re: A8 Free Version 8.01 Public Beta - 07/12/10 11:13

When I start an A8 lite-c script (one of the samples), the engine starts and after one second it freezes, sometimes for two seconds, sometimes completely.

I would like to be able to change a Region by face mode manipulation, could this be implemented?

Re: A8 Free Version 8.01 Public Beta - 07/12/10 11:21

PhysX is still a bit strange wink Everything flies around with ultra lightspeed. is there an guide on How To transform the code right into the new system?

Re: A8 Free Version 8.01 Public Beta - 07/12/10 11:21

I am noticing some odd behavior with ent_animate. Seems that after a time (roughly 30 second) it stops animating the specified scene and starts cycling through all of the entities frames... did a test in an empty level and it still occurred.
Posted By: Razoron

Re: A8 Free Version 8.01 Public Beta - 07/12/10 11:29

Originally Posted By: Superku
When I start an A8 lite-c script (one of the samples), the engine starts and after one second it freezes, sometimes for two seconds, sometimes completely.

I would like to be able to change a Region by face mode manipulation, could this be implemented?

Did you copy the key, jcl posted a few post before in your GStduio8 directory?
Posted By: ratchet

Re: A8 Free Version 8.01 Public Beta - 07/12/10 11:30

WED seems to be lot more smooth and fast at displaying things on the 3D window.
It becomes a pleasure to use now, at least laugh

The new icons, and windows make it look more modern or today software; that's good !

But the FOV or angle of vision in the 3D view is still too big, it makes distorsions on the far, is there a way to switch to orthographic in 3D view or tweak the angle ?

Well i'll test deeper tonight.
Posted By: Random

Re: A8 Free Version 8.01 Public Beta - 07/12/10 11:39

I downloaded this beta and installed the free version.
But when I whant to run something it sayes "Trail period exrired".
What the hack doese that meen???
I installed the A8 free public beta version.

Re: A8 Free Version 8.01 Public Beta - 07/12/10 11:42

take the file from the 3thrd post of jcl and copy it into your GStudio8 Folder

Re: A8 Free Version 8.01 Public Beta - 07/12/10 11:49

Thank you, Razoron, I've read "Under Win7..." and skipped that post. Works fine now!

Hahaha the knights_on_wheels demo is funny (esp. with the good, old guard sitting in a buggy), and well done, too, I've always missed such a (playable) sample that comes with gamestudio.

Re: A8 Free Version 8.01 Public Beta - 07/12/10 11:53

Only to say it: The new Physic system is in the example great.

But how do I add a force to my Entitys? Before it was addcentralforce, not it is addforcecentral but NOTHING works. Also setvelocitiy etc. not....ARGH!
Posted By: Helghast

Re: A8 Free Version 8.01 Public Beta - 07/12/10 11:54

Originally Posted By: Rich
I am noticing some odd behavior with ent_animate. Seems that after a time (roughly 30 second) it stops animating the specified scene and starts cycling through all of the entities frames... did a test in an empty level and it still occurred.

I have had this exact same issue in the A7 trial version before as well!

Re: A8 Free Version 8.01 Public Beta - 07/12/10 12:00

Quote:
I have had this exact same issue in the A7 trial version before as well!

Hmmm that's very strange. I posted it in the bugs section since that is probably where it should go. Thanks.

Re: A8 Free Version 8.01 Public Beta - 07/12/10 12:01

Quote:
The basic functions support rigid bodies and joints. With additional plugins, deformable bodies, liquids, cloth and many other effects can be supported.

I really hoped to see cloth physics in A8 but I'm not sure what is meant by "additional plugins", do they come in future updates or do they have to be implemented by some users?

Re: A8 Free Version 8.01 Public Beta - 07/12/10 13:01

If I am making now a Map in WED it says "Wrong PhysX Type: A5/A6 Type"
Posted By: Quad

Re: A8 Free Version 8.01 Public Beta - 07/12/10 13:30

map needs to be in mesh mode.
Posted By: MasterQ32

Re: A8 Free Version 8.01 Public Beta - 07/12/10 14:21

found a bug:
i WED, if you create a light, the light colour isn't displayed correctly on the button

Re: A8 Free Version 8.01 Public Beta - 07/12/10 14:26

BIG thanks.

The biggest thanks would go to the person who is telling me why if a level looks likes this
end like this if I run it

Number one is a invisible/bbox wall, the other are sprites which are uisng this function (same function, just other vars)
Code:
action new_game()
{
	pXent_settype(me,PH_RIGID,PH_BOX);
	while(me)
	{
		if(mouse_ent == me)
		{
			if(mouse_left)
			{
				start2_los = 1;
			}
			my.ambient = 100;
			pXent_addforcecentral(me,vector(0,random(100)-50, random(100)-50));
		}
		else
		{
			my.ambient = 50;
		}
		wait(1);
	} 
}

And the pxent addforcecentral isn't working, but if I click it is okay. Sprites are flying everywhere, and the both in the picture are wiggling super fast. If I remove the invisible thing everything works fine
Posted By: 3run

Re: A8 Free Version 8.01 Public Beta - 07/12/10 16:03

Will there be Shadowmapping available in free version?
Posted By: bk9iq

Re: A8 Free Version 8.01 Public Beta - 07/12/10 19:25

Any Ideas why I am getting this when I run GED

Error while loading core files

"GED could not find important Core-Files. Please ensure that the Directory of your currently running 3D-Gamestudio Engine contains a correct installation of GED"
Posted By: Lukas

Re: A8 Free Version 8.01 Public Beta - 07/12/10 19:29

Originally Posted By: jcl
- The second known bug is an ominous error message when you start GED the first time. Please disregard that message.

Re: A8 Free Version 8.01 Public Beta - 07/12/10 19:33

Well I don't think that JCL is talking about this message ... anyway There are couple of messages after this and then the GED closes... I tried it with A7 GED and this never happens...
Posted By: Tobias

Re: A8 Free Version 8.01 Public Beta - 07/12/10 19:38

A8 GED works for me, you just must ignore this message and start it again.
Posted By: Germanunkol

Re: A8 Free Version 8.01 Public Beta - 07/12/10 20:03

-reactiontest sample: start: space, 5 appears, I press 5 (on the key pad on the right, not the numbers up the top): empty pointer.

-pong demo (computer vs computer): freezes after the first collision.

Do I also need to get this extra file you've been talking about?

Re: A8 Free Version 8.01 Public Beta - 07/12/10 20:07

Yes, same for me!
Posted By: sebbi91

@jcl : maybe a Bug in A8 ? - 07/12/10 20:39

Hmmm....

i dont know if this is a bug or bad programming style of me.

I worked on a RPG with A7 - free.
I startet my this script with A8 and it seems there is aproblem with ent_create.

i've written a ent_create - script in the "void main()" like this:
Quote:

ent_create("Longsword.mdl",vector(80,-18,70),longsword);
ent_create("Longsword.mdl",vector(80,-28,70),longsword);
ent_create("Longsword.mdl",vector(80,-38,70),longsword);
ent_create("Longsword.mdl",vector(80,-48,70),longsword);

it works perfect with A7-free edition.
Every Model had the Polygon -flag and shadow.
if my player looks with c-trace at the Model a text apears.

Now script didnt working correctly with A8-free-edition!
Only one modell of them show the message!

It only works if I write something like this in the main script:

Quote:

ent_create("Longsword1.mdl",vector(80,-18,70),longsword);
ent_create("Longsword2.mdl",vector(80,-28,70),longsword);
ent_create("Longsword3.mdl",vector(80,-38,70),longsword);

Is it a bug or a bad programming style of me?

Re: @jcl : maybe a Bug in A8 ? - 07/12/10 21:02

What about the templates guys ... is it working with u by using the project manager? I am having problems with it !!!
Posted By: Quad

Re: @jcl : maybe a Bug in A8 ? - 07/13/10 10:25

Over at Turkish community, a guy is still getting the trial message even though he puts the .dta file on the installation dir. (key8c.dta)

Also, i do not have purchase info since i got my key from the contest, would it suffice if i e-mail support with my id and password, to get the .dta?

Re: @jcl : maybe a Bug in A8 ? - 07/13/10 10:49

The user with the trial problem could contact us. He might have been unable to copy the key due to missing administrator privileges, or something like that.

For your free A8 upgrade, please contact Support and mention that it was a contest prize - this should suffice.
© 2024 lite-C Forums