Gamestudio 7.82 public beta

Posted By: jcl

Gamestudio 7.82 public beta - 12/23/09 09:24

The new version 7.82 is now ready for public beta test. Download it here:

http://opserver.de/down/gstudio_782.exe

This version contains further improvements of the level and model editors, socket communication, new libraries, and many new and improved engine functions. The commercial edition now supports bones weights, and the free edition contains WED. You can install version 7.82 as an update to your previous Gamestudio/A7.80 version. About installing and using the new features, please read:

http://manual.conitec.net/newfeatures70.htm

Please test everything carefully and if you find a bug, please report it to the bug forum. Two further remarks:

- Avira might give you a Trojan warning. We were assured that this will be fixed soon. Until then, just click "Ignore".

- Due to a bug fix, in rare cases collision behavior is different than before. Bounding boxes that could have a wrong size before have now the correct size. This might affect 1% of all levels - for instance, the spotlight demos. If in doubt, press F11 twice and check if your bounding boxes are correct.
Posted By: Helghast

Re: Gamestudio 7.82 public beta - 12/23/09 09:33

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

thanks alot grin
Does this come with the free A7 extra as well now?
Posted By: Rei_Ayanami

Re: Gamestudio 7.82 public beta - 12/23/09 09:49

Thanks alot laugh

@helghast: yes, if you install, you will be asked if: free, trial or with key wink

Edit: Found a small Bug in the Online Manual ( Upating-New Features) . If you click on:
Quote:
A tutorial about walking, third person camera, and collision events was added to the workshops.

You get directed to the 22. Workshop and not to the 24. wink
Posted By: Mach

Re: Gamestudio 7.82 public beta - 12/23/09 09:58

Thanks a lot JCL !

I waited it impatiently laugh
Posted By: Cowabanga

Re: Gamestudio 7.82 public beta - 12/23/09 16:47

At last, thanks! laugh
Posted By: djfeeler

Re: Gamestudio 7.82 public beta - 12/23/09 18:10

Hello, I have a problem when I click on the icon GED under seven the editor GED does not start. I need use the compatibility of seven under winwows xp service pack sp2 to start GED.
Posted By: Quad

Re: Gamestudio 7.82 public beta - 12/23/09 18:26

GED runs fine on my win7 32-bit
Posted By: AlexTGM

Re: Gamestudio 7.82 public beta - 12/23/09 19:28

Hi!!! I have problem! My NOD find's a virus in GED.exe... Why?
Posted By: Rei_Ayanami

Re: Gamestudio 7.82 public beta - 12/23/09 19:30

that's a fake alarm, just ignore it wink
Posted By: Superku

Re: Gamestudio 7.82 public beta - 12/23/09 22:10

Originally Posted By: jcl
This is one of the cases where we sacrificed compatiblity for a bug fix and for our support's sake. Wrong collision boxes of large models are a frequent beginners' problem. This is gone now, and for this we accepted the incompatibility. You can check your bounding boxes by pressing F11 twice, and should be able to fix your script in 2 minutes. Correct movement code, as in 99% of all levels, will still work as before.
(from another thread)

I understand your saying but I do not think that c_setminmax and c_updatehull work right now (my model is 83 quants high):

A7.80:
Click to reveal..

unchanged bounding box:

c_setminmax:

(click to enlarge)

A7.82:
Click to reveal..

unchanged bounding box:

c_setminmax:

(click to enlarge)

and c_updatehull:
Click to reveal..

7.80, c_updatehull with some manually adjusted min/max settings:

7.82, identical code:

(click to enlarge)

And no, unfortunately this problem is not fixable in 2 minutes, the movement has many modes (normal, ball mode, carry a big object, tiny player size, ...) which change min/max and co. I have to accept it but please have a look at the size of the 7.82 collision box!
Posted By: Espér

Re: Gamestudio 7.82 public beta - 12/24/09 02:18

has something changed in the particles??

Because since the update, all my Particles are just black squares.
Posted By: EvilSOB

Re: Gamestudio 7.82 public beta - 12/24/09 02:28

Esper, dunno if its related, but the MP-Tank project you sent me does that,
and I havent upgraded yet. Im still on V7.80
But that was AFTER I had made some code changes, so maybe Ive "damaged" it?
Posted By: MPQ

Re: Gamestudio 7.82 public beta - 12/24/09 12:59

Thanks for 8.82 :), only the virus warning is annoying
Posted By: bart_the_13th

Re: Gamestudio 7.82 public beta - 12/25/09 03:13

Nice.. It can disable tesselation(which I expect could improve fps rate)...
I found a little bug still... The bone rotate seems has amajor bug...
When I used bone rotation on a scene that has animation(Example: walking) it works fine. But when I used it on a scene that doesnt move(ex:standing), it wont work. The weird thing is that the vertex reads fine(ex:attaching weapon), it aim where it should, but the model aim somewhere else...
I've checked with my other project that used bone rotation and it does have the same problem.
Then I tried to downgrade back to 7.80, it work again... Does anyone has the same problem?
Posted By: WickWoody

Re: Gamestudio 7.82 public beta - 12/25/09 10:49

World Editor don't compile my maps ?

Re: Gamestudio 7.82 public beta - 12/25/09 12:58

Thanks for 8.82 :), only the virus warning is annoying!
Posted By: muffel

Re: Gamestudio 7.82 public beta - 12/25/09 14:29

WED didn't want to compile the map --> after updating DirectX, map compiling works.

Der Beam-Partikelflag arbeitet bei mir nicht richtig.
Es wäre schön wenn bei der Free-Version der Beam effekt entweder überhaupt nicht oder besser richtig dargestellt wird.
Bei mir ( ich benutze die kostenlose version) kommt zusätlich zu dem normalen beam effect ein horizontaler streifen hinzu.
Hoffe die Bilder können mein Problem darstellen:
Click to reveal..

Mein Sytem:
Click to reveal..

Betriebssystem: Windows XP 32 bit Service Pack 3
Prozessor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200
Arbeitspeicher: 4 GB
Grafikkarte: Geforce GTX 260

muffel
Posted By: darkinferno

Re: Gamestudio 7.82 public beta - 12/26/09 13:49

this update screwed my game totally... and i have no idea what happened or what was changed but my physics movement is now totally useless and the game unplayable, so i dont know whats happening here, i didnt expect to have to rewrite portions of my game to suit an update

Re: Gamestudio 7.82 public beta - 12/26/09 14:06

only uncompatible thing to previous updates is the new hull updating thing, it didnot affected my project tho.
Posted By: Widi

Re: Gamestudio 7.82 public beta - 12/26/09 14:54

What is going with the c_setminmax? The hull of my animatet models is not correct, the hull is much to big!

Edit: and the map compiler crashes if i set "use Tesselation"
Posted By: Petra

Re: Gamestudio 7.82 public beta - 12/26/09 15:22

Thanks alot for this update! Everything works well and the new features are really nice.

Re: Gamestudio 7.82 public beta - 12/26/09 15:43

Originally Posted By: Quadraxas
only uncompatible thing to previous updates is the new hull updating thing, it didnot affected my project tho.
well my physics are all going crazy, be alot of tedious work to solve it.. tsk, they need to make a completely detailed list of what gets changed in these updates, the current one only shows major changes

well.. no sense complaining, thats my job i guess, find/create/invent bugs and fix them

-sighz, smilez-
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Gamestudio 7.82 public beta - 12/26/09 17:51

Quote:
well my physics are all going crazy, be alot of tedious work to solve it.. tsk, they need to make a completely detailed list of what gets changed in these updates, the current one only shows major changes

well.. no sense complaining, thats my job i guess, find/create/invent bugs and fix them

My advice: don't update the GS engine while a project is in developement.
There are often changes in core engine functions that would "kill" a project in fact of too many nessesary changes *1.
(e.g. a change of the collision behavior in a minor patch [7.80->7.82] shocked )

Conitec can't take care of this and the engine permanently needs such updates - unfortunately.
And surprises us sometimes with new bugs in core functions! crazy

*1) thats potentially the reason complex/bigger projects with 3DGS are that rare.

Posted By: Tobias

Re: Gamestudio 7.82 public beta - 12/26/09 19:05

Very good update! Also the map compiler dialog is now much clearer.

No problems at all with the collision hull fix with my projects. Only in one demo the player didnt move anymore, turned out that I've forgot to set the polygon flag on the rock models. After setting the flag it works like a charm. So when you have a movement problem now, look for forgotten polygon flags.

Re: Gamestudio 7.82 public beta - 12/26/09 19:55

thanks mercuryus, if i cant fix the bug then i may be forced to reinstall the older version, 7.80.. sad though.. lol, but i also love the new bone weights so rewriting the code works better in that case..

Re: Gamestudio 7.82 public beta - 12/26/09 20:51

sorry for my double post;)

Quote:
The commercial edition now supports bones weights

how do I use bone weights?

Re: Gamestudio 7.82 public beta - 12/26/09 22:21

You just import a model rigged with wieghted bones.
Posted By: Muhsin

Re: Gamestudio 7.82 public beta - 12/26/09 22:47

Hi!

I got a problem.

I'm using the free version of gamestudio. but in WED i can only make a game by using the "project wizard". if i make the main script in "map properties", build my game and run it, i only get a black screen and nothing more.
but if i remove the main script, then it works like an walk-thru.
what can i do to solve this problem??

- Muhsin Kaymak

Re: Gamestudio 7.82 public beta - 12/26/09 23:16

looks like you forget to load your level in you script.

Re: Gamestudio 7.82 public beta - 12/26/09 23:28

what do you mean?
Posted By: Lukas

Re: Gamestudio 7.82 public beta - 12/26/09 23:35

You need a line
level_load("yourlevel.wmb");
in your script.

Because all WED does when "starting" your level if you added a script is running the script.

Re: Gamestudio 7.82 public beta - 12/26/09 23:47

when i look at the main script, then it already got this line: level_load(level_str);

and if i change it to: level_load(level.wmb);, then i still get the same black screen.

Re: Gamestudio 7.82 public beta - 12/27/09 00:04

Muhsin, this question rather belongs into the 'Starting with Gamestudio' forum.
When you run your main script, maybe the camera faces a black wall, press [0] to move the camera around (WASD or arrow keys (?) and mouse). Add a Position to set a starting point for your camera.

EDIT (regarding Muhsin's post below): Muhsin, this does not seem to be an update related problem, please post your question in the forum that I've mentioned above. Thank you!

Re: Gamestudio 7.82 public beta - 12/27/09 00:06

let me tell you what i did, then you can tell me what i did wrong:

first i started WED, then i clicked on "new level", then i added an cube and a model on the cube. then i saved and clicked on "map properties" and choose the "A6_Shooter_project" script. then i gave the model the bahavier: "PlBiped01". then i saved the level, clicked "build", then clicked "OK" and then clicked "run". then a new window opened, but the window only contained a black screen. if you understand what i'm trying to say ( sorry about my bad english )?

what did i do wrong?

- Muhsin Kaymak
Posted By: Tobias

Re: Gamestudio 7.82 public beta - 12/27/09 09:07

I dunno, maybe you renamed it to some other name when saving it. You must not change the level name anymore after adding a template script. But following this link will certainly help you:

http://tutorial.3dgamestudio.net/

and don't post such problems here, post them in "Starting"!

Re: Gamestudio 7.82 public beta - 12/27/09 10:06

ok, i will try that tutorial. thanks for the helps and sorry for my post here.

Re: Gamestudio 7.82 public beta - 12/28/09 10:47

Contrary to some beginner's rumours, Gamestudio upgrades are of course always 100% compatible to their predecessors. We guarantee that all previously properly working projects will still work as before. All possible incompatibilites are mentioned in the update sheet.

BUT: The behavior can be different when there already was something wrong in the script before.

Some answers:

- GED does not start: Most likely caused by having old versions of the .c or .h include files in folders where they don't belong. Check for multiple copies, especially mtlFX.c in the code folder.

- Collision box is wrong: Check your code where you set it. If you can't find an obvious bug there, contact support with a test level so that they can look into it. Typical reasons of a wrong collision box are changing the entity scale or having entity frames with large size variations.

- Physics doesn't work - there's nothing changed with physics in this update. Again, if you can't see an obvious reason in your code, contact support with a test level.

- Bones rotate different - nothing changed here, they rotate just as before. Otherwise, see above.

- Particle_trail demo shows a horizontal stripe in the free version - we can't reproduce this here; does the stripe also appear when you remove the BEAM flag in the script?

If you think you found a real bug in this beta version, please contact Support or post a bug report.

Re: Gamestudio 7.82 public beta - 12/28/09 11:03

Quote:
Contrary to some beginner's rumours, Gamestudio upgrades are of course always 100% compatible to their predecessors. We guarantee that all previously properly working projects will still work as before. All possible incompatibilites are mentioned in the update sheet.

BUT: The behavior can be different when there already was something wrong in the script before.

I start to think you really belief this.
But if you take a look at the bug list you have to realize that updating the engine must end in broken projects in some cases.

Re: Gamestudio 7.82 public beta - 12/28/09 11:15

Well, obviously not. There were only two cases ever where an official update indeed contained a serious bug and had to be pulled. Finding such bugs is the purpose of a public beta. So just relax, help our environment by saving Internet bandwidth, and leave such threads to people who have really something to remark about the update. Thank you.

- I forgot one question:

Particles are black -> is probably unrelated to the update. Check if the script sets a color, or a bitmap - and also check for wrong flags that aren't particle flags. If you can't find a reason, contact Support.

Re: Gamestudio 7.82 public beta - 12/28/09 12:49

No need to become angry or rude!
I just try to help other users sharing my experience with updates - obviously not the way you want to read, but my experiences from about 5 years and ~20 finished projects (and many unfinished).
Posted By: Spirit

Re: Gamestudio 7.82 public beta - 12/28/09 13:32

7.82 works perfect here. The mentioned collision box incompatibility does not happen in my levels, the boxes are fine, so I suppose my script was correct laugh.

Thanks for the sprite particles!
Posted By: Frederick_Lim

Re: Gamestudio 7.82 public beta - 12/28/09 14:06

I don't know it is my problem or not, everytime when I quit the game from fullscreen back to WED, WED will hang, maybe the Gxl2BasDx9B.dll don't like fullscreen game.
No such problem if I change the Video Out setting to Gxl2BasDx9a.dll

Re: Gamestudio 7.82 public beta - 12/28/09 17:23

Originally Posted By: jcl
Collision box is wrong: Check your code where you set it. If you can't find an obvious bug there, contact support with a test level so that they can look into it. Typical reasons of a wrong collision box are changing the entity scale or having entity frames with large size variations.

Mr. Lotter, what does the bold sentence mean in particular?
(A7.82) When I use c_setminmax and the model has only one frame, the min/max dimensions are correct. If the model has some frames with different body sizes (or f.i. a hand that waves around) the min/max values get set to the maximal dimension of all frames together (it did not in 7.80).
This is not helpful.

EDIT:
c_updatehull does the same that means if you want the bounding box dimensions of a special frame that you will normally get by c_updatehull (in <= 7.80) it will not work at all (in 7.82).

Re: Gamestudio 7.82 public beta - 12/28/09 17:39

Ah, that probably explains your problem.

c_setminmax sets a box around all parts and frames of the model - it is supposed to work this way. Otherwise collision would not work on certain frames. But setting the hull to a certain frame in c_updatehull should only use the box of that frame, just as before. This could indeed be a bug in the beta. We'll check.

Re: Gamestudio 7.82 public beta - 12/28/09 20:21

Thank you very much!
Posted By: djfeeler

Re: Gamestudio 7.82 public beta - 12/28/09 21:25

Hello,

I found why the launch of GED does not work under seven. In fact for the launch must be run as administrator to start GED.

grin
Posted By: arsdigita

Re: Gamestudio 7.82 public beta - 12/28/09 22:06

After installing the public beta I recieve an error whenever I attempt to 'Build' in WED.

Can't execute
'C:/Program Files (x86)\GStudio7\wwmp2wmb.exe'

Attempted to set 'Run as Administrator' but still no luck.

Any suggestions?

A7 Com, Win7 (64), Quad Core, 8gigs ram

Edit:
Completely removed GS for fresh install, still same issue.
Posted By: Widi

Re: Gamestudio 7.82 public beta - 12/28/09 22:59

Have the same problem as Superku. Also the c_updatehull don`t work correctly.

Workarround: Set the BBox in WED, and the Box have the right sitze from frame one.

Re: Gamestudio 7.82 public beta - 12/28/09 23:55

I deleted gamestudio from my pc and installed it again (because of the problem i got earlier), and now i get the same problem as arsdigita, i can't build the level, it says that it can't execute "wwmp2wmb.exe"

i got windows vista and im using the free version of gamestudio

- Muhsin Kaymak

Re: Gamestudio 7.82 public beta - 12/29/09 00:02

try installing it as aministrator. could help. also make sure you instal msvc redist.
Posted By: SchokoKeks

Re: Gamestudio 7.82 public beta - 12/29/09 00:08

and take a look at this thread, jcl is already looking into it:
http://www.opserver.de/ubb7/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=302903
Posted By: arsdigita

Re: Gamestudio 7.82 public beta - 12/29/09 00:25

I did a fresh install as admin (also tried to upgrade running as admin) and no luck.

Thanks for the thread link but my german is weak (to say the least) so hopefully JCL will give us an update here.
Posted By: PigHunter

Re: Gamestudio 7.82 public beta - 12/29/09 03:24

In GED, when I go to paint models onto my terrain (a great feature btw) and select to create them in a group, it does not save the location of the models, it just lumps them all together at 0,0,0.

Posted By: pegamode

Re: Gamestudio 7.82 public beta - 12/29/09 10:08

It should be mentioned that commands like snd_create now throw an error in a message box when the file could not be found instead of just returning null (warn_level = 4;)
Posted By: Rackscha

Re: Gamestudio 7.82 public beta - 12/29/09 11:02

WEIGHT bones? OH finnaly they are in Comercial grin

Thank you.

Greets
Rackscha
Posted By: Frederick_Lim

Re: Gamestudio 7.82 public beta - 12/29/09 14:47

If I launch GED from WED, GED will crash while loading objects, no problem when launch GED directly.

Re: Gamestudio 7.82 public beta - 12/29/09 18:24

i really do need a list of all that was changed, they say its just the collision box but idk, 7.80 my project runs perfectly, physics enabled and such, player moves using the physics

update to 7.82, player movement messed up, stuck at some totally random point in the level, seems the position is unstable and flickers between two positions

downgrade back to 7.80, project runs fine again...

so, i'm at a loss
Posted By: sPlKe

Re: Gamestudio 7.82 public beta - 12/29/09 19:41

any news about the not working wmp2wmb compiler?
Posted By: pararealist

Re: Gamestudio 7.82 public beta - 12/29/09 19:46

Quote:
str_cut cuts out a string from another string.

str_cut() seems not to be implemented in the 7.82 public beta?

Seen:
#include <strio.c>
© 2024 lite-C Forums