MP voice chat?

Posted By: indiGLOW

MP voice chat? - 06/12/06 14:24

Is it possible to implement in game, multiplay voice chat? Ok thats a little bit of a stupid question, of course it is....

The real question would be, how hard is it to implement?

Thanks for any suggestions / comments
Posted By: Michael_Schwarz

Re: MP voice chat? - 06/12/06 16:21

I think you would need an external DLL for this, afaik this is not possible with C-Script
Posted By: indiGLOW

Re: MP voice chat? - 06/12/06 17:58

Thanks Mr.Schwarz
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: MP voice chat? - 06/15/06 20:17

Ever since Voice of IP calling has become popular these kind of dll's are getting very expensive very quick. So unless you know how to make such a thing yourself, than it might not be a bad thing to look around for a nice sdk now ...

After a little search I've found this one which might be completely useless with 3dgs though:
Voip SDK thingy

Free to try, but eventually costs 399$ ..

CHeers
Posted By: The_Real_Roan

Re: MP voice chat? - 06/16/06 17:15

I think the easyest way to handle voice chat is to use skype. I can't really explain how since it's a project i'm working on
Posted By: Nagashi

Re: MP voice chat? - 08/20/06 19:47

Why not just write a dll using "DirectPlay® Voice" it became part of DirectX back around version 7 around 2000… as far as I'm aware it’s still part of the package. It’s something to look in to at least. This is something I’ve thought about as well it would be nice to have; it would make a more submersive play experience.
Posted By: TWO

Re: MP voice chat? - 08/20/06 20:18

Well, RakNet has a VoIP part. I planed to implement it, but you have to wait for the update after the final release.

p.s RakVoice is a new feature of RakNet that allows real time voice communication at a cost of only 2200 bytes per second at 8000 8 bit samples per second. It uses Speex (http://www.speex.org/) to do the encoding -Rak'Kar

I don´t really think directX can beat that

But I can´t promise anything.
Posted By: Damocles

Re: MP voice chat? - 08/20/06 23:38

Just a thougt:

Isnt voice chat a feature that is only needed, after! a complex and working multiplayer enviorment is
set up?
Even if it is possible, I would not think about it at the first place... there is so much other stuff
to develop before it is of any relevance.
Posted By: ChildeHarold

Re: MP voice chat? - 08/25/06 18:00

it is possible - and we've done it (using RakVoice, which uses speex and Portaudio, which are the basis of Skype), and it's a really cool thing.

http://www.coniserver.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/682921/an/0/page/0#Post682921

It was a great thing to experience this kind of 3d telephony, it really changes your perspective. In fact we didn't care about game but setting this thing up.
Posted By: khanoftruth

Re: MP voice chat? - 09/04/06 01:19

Interesting. I agree with Damocles about this. I have been working non-stop on a multi-level multiplayer game for the past three days, and I still have a huge amount of coding to do, and 19 more levels to build. Although voice chat would be wonderful, it is a little extreme.

What I would lke more than voice chat is text-to-voice, kind of like in America's Army, if you have every played. So that when players type something, you don't have to look at the text box, it just reads it for you.
© 2024 lite-C Forums