Steam/WINE/Vulcan Integration?

Posted By: Dooley

Steam/WINE/Vulcan Integration? - 08/26/18 16:39

So Valve is adding some kind of integrated Windows/Linux crossover support called Steam Play.

I have tested my games on Linux successfully using WINE, which is how Windows games can be played on Linux computers. For developers, they are recommending to make a game that uses "Vulcan" natively.

Personally, I don't understand how any of this actually works, but it seems like 3DGS could work in this way, since the games do run through WINE.

I would love to figure out a way to make a Linux version of my game, as this could open up a new market. Does anyone know whether this is possible?

This is Valve's announcement about how this all works: https://steamcommunity.com/games/221410/announcements/detail/1696055855739350561

This is Vulcan, which seems to be a cross platform tool we can use, though again, I have no idea how it works at this point: https://www.khronos.org/vulkan/

If anyone knows how to integrate these things, I think it could greatly enhance 3DGS as a viable engine, opening it up to at least Linux and Mac users if it works...
Posted By: Quad

Re: Steam/WINE/Vulcan Integration? - 08/27/18 07:28

Vulcan: you can't do anything about. you can think of it as the next-generation of OpenGL, it's a graphics api.

The new steam play with wine: you can join steam linux beta right now and try it out, it's in beta and you can't mark your games as "works in linux" just yet. But you can check if your game has any compatibility issues.
Posted By: jumpman

Re: Steam/WINE/Vulcan Integration? - 08/27/18 16:05

When I made my game Swordlord, I gave it to a mac user who was able to play it with Wine, however he didnt set it up correctly, which caused the game to play way faster than it was supposed to. So yes 3dgs as far as my experience can be played on a mac, you just have to setup the Wine wrapper correctly.
Posted By: Dooley

Re: Steam/WINE/Vulcan Integration? - 11/19/18 17:17

Nice. My game was recently whitelisted for Steam Play by Steam. But they have not put out any kind of public announcement or store icon.
© 2024 lite-C Forums