Game Crash on Other People's PCs

Posted By: Dooley

Game Crash on Other People's PCs - 07/23/17 23:47

I have a game on Steam, and some people are complaining that it crashes right away. Most customers do not have this problem, and I can't imagine what might be causing it.

Relevant Info:
I'm using A7
The game runs fine on every computer I've tested it on, including Windows 7, 8 and even on Ubuntu running WINE. I have also run it on Vista and XP in the past, but I have not tested it on these operating systems recently.
The users who encountered the problem say they have Window 7 - 64 bit (which is what I am using)

In general, how should I approach this issue? I thought I could ask them for the acklog.txt file, but it appears that this file is not getting created on their systems. Is there a protocol for troubleshooting other people's game crashes that I could reference? Any ideas or information would be appreciated, thanks laugh

Re: Game Crash on Other People's PCs - 07/23/17 23:53

I am wondering if maybe there is a compatibility issue between 3DGs and some foreign language versions of Windows? Or maybe they don't have legitimate copes of Windows?

If there are any known compatibility issues, where would I look to find those?

Obviously there could be something wrong with my code, but since it seems to work for most people, I am hoping it might be something about their computers or setup. As I said, ANY info would be great!
Posted By: preacherX

Re: Game Crash on Other People's PCs - 07/24/17 11:00

Are you using C-Script or lite-c?

Re: Game Crash on Other People's PCs - 07/24/17 15:21

Lite-C

Re: Game Crash on Other People's PCs - 07/24/17 15:40

Okay, I asked the users to try running some other 3DGS demos to see if those work on their systems. Here is the result:

So it seems their systems are somehow incompatible with 3DGS, rather than something specific to my game.

Does the "Failure in StackHash_**** modules" mean anything to anyone?
Posted By: Ezzett

Re: Game Crash on Other People's PCs - 07/24/17 17:03

Maybe this is the problem:

Q: I have just installed Gamestudio on another PC. Now I get an error message (Error E1513) as soon as I start any project. 
A. Check how the DEP (data execution prevention) is set in your Windows configuration. Go to My Computer / Properties / Advanced / Performance / Settings / Data Execution Prevention, and make sure that it's in its default setting ("For essential Windows programs and services only"). A wrong DEP setting prevents on-the-fly compiling lite-C or C-Script source code.

http://manual.3dgamestudio.net/afaq.htm

Re: Game Crash on Other People's PCs - 07/24/17 19:57

Thank you, I will try that!
Posted By: jenGs

Re: Game Crash on Other People's PCs - 07/25/17 11:27

I have the same crash problem with your game. Windows 10 64 bit legit copy upgraded from Windows 8.

I am trying to start the game on a Notebook with two graphiccards (and two monitors). Some games have problems with that.
The starter Windows says it uses the nvidia card.
Crash occures during compilation.

I also can't use any other A7 game.

Crash happens with one monitor, too.
Crash happens too, if I choose a specific Adapter.

Can't test this any further, because of missing debug info (acklog).

Strange because an old A4 game exe I wrote long time ago runs on this system.
Posted By: Superku

Re: Game Crash on Other People's PCs - 07/25/17 13:04

Try and install DirectX 9.29 (you/ they have DX YZ installed, I know, give it a try anyway).
The engine switched to a newer DX9 version some time ago because of some bugs in the previous 9.0c build. Some users had to install that new version although they were running DX10 or DX11 already.
Posted By: jumpman

Re: Game Crash on Other People's PCs - 07/26/17 00:42

Hey superku

i have a game on steam that was made on the A6 engine. I have included the direct x 9.0c dll in the game folder. One of ththe users reported a crash, and cannot open the game.

If he installs a new version of direct x 9, will that interfere with my game? Does he need a new dll?
Posted By: Ezzett

Re: Game Crash on Other People's PCs - 07/26/17 07:02

It looks like one of Dooley's customers was able to start the game without problems after changing the Windows DEP settings.

I would suggest to try this first if a player can't start the game but everybody else has no issues.

Re: Game Crash on Other People's PCs - 07/27/17 19:55

Yes, I was going to report back here with that. The DEP settings fixed the issue for one guy.

I will also recommend installing the older DirectX DLL for those who did not get it to work yet, we'll see what happens. So far only three users are reporting this issue out of many, so it seems to be an issue more with their setup than with the engine or my script (so it would seem). But if there's anything I can do to provide the right DLLs or alter my script to accommodate their systems, of course I would love to be able to do that.

Re: Game Crash on Other People's PCs - 07/27/17 20:02

Thanks for the feedback guys!
Posted By: jenGs

Re: Game Crash on Other People's PCs - 07/27/17 20:57

Yes it was the DEP, now I can play A7 games again laugh .

The problem was, that a setting in my uefi bios (secure start) didn't let me shutdown DEP. I thought I shut it down long time ago.
© 2024 lite-C Forums