Level designing: Using blocks or model entities?

Posted By: painkiller

Level designing: Using blocks or model entities? - 08/08/16 15:49

This is a question I was asking myself during last times I used gamestudio: using blocks or model entities for static models on our levels.

I found that using blocks (adding models via WED's import from MDL) gives a better performance as it takes advantage of gamestudio's BSP/ABT and they can make use of lightmaps. However it has some disadvantages: all textures are stored in a WAD file so handlig them is less user-friendly. Also some shaders do not work well with blocks.

On the other side, when using models as entities it is easier to make changes in the original models as you don't have to import them again, texture handling is easier and shaders work fine. However, you don't have GS calculated lightmaps.

What do you think about this? are you using blocks or models for static objects on your projects?
Posted By: rayp

Re: Level designing: Using blocks or model entities? - 08/08/16 15:50

Dont use blocks. Only for rough structure like ground floors ( one reason = LOD ).
Models are faster then WMB geometry.
Posted By: Ayumi

Re: Level designing: Using blocks or model entities? - 08/09/16 06:03

No Blocks are
+ faster
+ no BSP Map build
+ faster and easy to use Shader
+ no WAD File (one more data)
+ flexibility
+ LOD
+ no more Fissures (argh...)
+ static Terrain / Model Shadows together
- time to create Models
- time to create Lightmap (second Skin)
- time to create own bsp (visible/invisible)

Examples:
Just Models:

Models and Terrain:

Posted By: the_clown

Re: Level designing: Using blocks or model entities? - 08/09/16 07:58

So, I'm not using Gamestudio anymore, but I find CSG brushes (= blocks) to be very useful to block out rough level geometry and layouts that are then later detailed and/or partially or completely replaced with models.
The lack of something similiar in Unity was always a bit iffy and the popularity of addons that provide such features for Unity shows that a lot of people like CSG geometry.
Unreal also has them and Epic Games uses them for example to rough out maps for the upcoming Unreal Tournament.
Posted By: Reconnoiter

Re: Level designing: Using blocks or model entities? - 08/09/16 09:37

So far I think:
- models + Shade-C (EVO) is the best (with only some limitations on e.g. terrain and tinting entites etc.). For map editor you can try Sivan's Map Builder, or e.g. build your own simple editor using Emre's WMB compiler example or maybe even GED. grin
- Normal default lightning with models is horrible, even when using some shaders, so only do that when you are a shader expert.
- Blocks are nice with okay lightning but WED is outdated as hell as and the map/terrain size limit with baking shadows or the limit in baking shadow quality is annoying.
© 2024 lite-C Forums