Problem with Level of Detail

Posted By: Kaaron

Problem with Level of Detail - 09/30/14 10:24

Hi,
i have created a city in an external 3D Program (3D Max) and want to import it in Gamestudio.
Because of the size i decided to create each building as an own Map-Entity and use Level of detail.
The documentation says as follows:

Quote:
[...] create different resolution models that are switched by the engine depending on their distance to the camera. If an entity file name ends with "_0", it is assumed that similar files ending with "_1", "_2", "_3" are the three further LOD levels for that entity. For instance for "house_0.wmb" the engine expects "house_1.wmb", "house_2.wmb", "house_3.wmb" as LOD files.
http://manual.conitec.net/wed_entities.htm

I tried it with .mdl file and it worked,
same procedure with .wmb file but it doesn't worked.

I have done many, many tests, but the .wmb file doesn't switch it's level. Anyone an idea why?
Posted By: Superku

Re: Problem with Level of Detail - 09/30/14 10:37

Why would you want to use wmb entities over models?

Re: Problem with Level of Detail - 09/30/14 10:39

I think it is better for managing their textures

Re: Problem with Level of Detail - 09/30/14 10:45

I doubt it, map entities are basically only available for legacy reasons, esp. when the old collision detection did not allow polygonal detection on models.
Just use entities and check the box at "Texture: Extern" or whatever it is called and you are fine. This way you can edit textures for all relevant files/ houses simply by changing the image file in question.

Re: Problem with Level of Detail - 09/30/14 11:01

Hm, ok.
I will try to use mdl if there are no big disadvantages in the opposite of wmb.
Thanks Superku.

But if anyone could use LOD for wmb, it would be nice when he could say how he get it.
Posted By: WretchedSid

Re: Problem with Level of Detail - 09/30/14 14:52

WMB is the disadvantage. There is no LOD simply by design of a statically compiled map.
Posted By: sivan

Re: Problem with Level of Detail - 09/30/14 15:10

once I thought the same, made a lot of useless work, but wmb-s are rendered very slow.

Re: Problem with Level of Detail - 09/30/14 15:12

@Sid: Well that's not completely correct, (in general) it's just more tedious to create additional WMB-LOD stages because you have to create them by hand yourself - except when it works easily to import them, of course.

However, I've just tested it and WMB entities in fact don't seem to work (anymore).
© 2024 lite-C Forums