Shadow in doorway

Posted By: 3run

Shadow in doorway - 12/30/11 17:04

Hi, I want to make a proper shadow from a door which is model..
I can't even describe the problem, so take a look at the picture:

How do I fix this? Any ideas are welcome! Thank you.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Shadow in doorway - 12/30/11 17:18

What exactly is the problem? the wall around the doorway is a block, right?
if you want to scale the shadow you can scale down the texture on the floor. Try 0.100 to see better results.

Re: Shadow in doorway - 12/30/11 18:50

Nahh.. you didn't get it mate. Problem is that there is no static shadows from models, so the door way has no shadow, that looks weird, I want to fix that, there is no problems with texture scale and so on.

Re: Shadow in doorway - 12/31/11 22:07

I didn't get any answers till last year, so could I have an idea how to fiw this problem this year? grin
Posted By: darkinferno

Re: Shadow in doorway - 12/31/11 22:53

how about creating a sprite/decal shadow that you make dissappear when the door opens, this problem is a typical problem with static lightmapping and what happens if you let the door model cast a dynamic shadow ?

you could also put an invisible block there to cast a shadow, however, it'll still be there when the door opens but less noticeable i guess, but you could also create a light sprite/decal to show when door opens

typically, these types of games normally avoid putting doors in areas that would create such lighting.. maybe you could alter your level/light placement a bit ?

Re: Shadow in doorway - 01/01/12 10:32

I think the best way will be using shadowmapping (as in shade-c), and to reject using lightning system of GS, it's horrible.
Dark, do you know how to make dynamic lightning in shade-c darker? I can't get it to work.
Posted By: EvilSOB

Re: Shadow in doorway - 01/01/12 12:01

Hmm, does the door 'swing' open or retract up or to a side?

If its a retractor-diir, make a decal/sprite on the floor that looks like a shadow.
Then as the door retracts, contract the shadow's scale_x to scale_y by a matching amount.

EG: then the door is 50% closed, the shadow sprite is at scale_x=0.5
Get what I mean?

If its a swing-door, I dont have any ideas at this point.

Re: Shadow in doorway - 01/01/12 12:35

It's a swing door mate..
Posted By: EvilSOB

Re: Shadow in doorway - 01/01/12 12:54

Hmmm. Still, the the same idea MAY apply.

The 'bright' area is from the baked light-map right? It looks like it...
See how the bright area is roughly rectangle-shaped.
So the 'width' is the door is the narrow dimension of that area.

What we need is a shadow-sprite to cover the light area.
Now when the door is shut, the shadow needs to cover the whole bright-zone.
But as the door opens, we need to shrink the scale of the shadow in the
narrow dimension of the shadow, so the bright-area gets slowly exposed.
You will also need to shift the shadow sideways toward the hinges-side of the door,
so that the bright area only only gets exposed on the non-hinge side of the door.

Unfortunately I cant do pictures at the moment, otherwise I would do a diagram...

I hope this explains my idea...

Re: Shadow in doorway - 01/01/12 12:58

Thank you man for your time, but I think, I'll leave this as it is atm. As I see, there is no easy way to fix this, I better concentrate on gameplay and other important stuff, may be at the end, there will come public beta of new shade-c, so I'll simply reject external lightning system of GS and will use shade-c. Thank you all for ideas.
Posted By: Roel

Re: Shadow in doorway - 01/01/12 15:24

from the forecast
Quote:
Static shadows generated from models 100%.

if it is (almost) implemented this might be the option, if have the patience for it.

Re: Shadow in doorway - 01/01/12 15:27

thank you, haven't seen that.
© 2024 lite-C Forums