crane simulator

Posted By: ventilator

crane simulator - 05/13/03 23:26

here is the first first version of my crane simulator! [Smile] it still needs a lot of tweaking and the models are crappy but i think it's already fun to play around with it so i decided to release this version.

<edit>

controls:

use the mouse and the cursor keys to fly around. emitting balls is still possible but i limited them to 50.

a+d -> rotate
w+x -> forwards,backwards
e+c -> down,up
q+y/z -> open,close claw (keep pressing y/z to hold something - i have to improve that)
1+3 -> rotate claw

now let's see if you are able to stack 3 stones! [Smile] (stacking crates is easy)
Posted By: greyplasma

Re: crane simulator - 05/13/03 23:58

Great work

i spent almost 1/2 hour on it and felt really happy to pick up the box.
How did u get the physics working on the wire ?

u r right open,close claw need some more work

over all great job

Re: crane simulator - 05/14/03 00:34

for the wire i use a chain of ball constraints. between the first two there is a slider so that i can control the wire's length. the entities are invisible and the wire gets drawn with particles.

the disadvantage is that the first segment can get very long which doesn't look good. and the wire's length can't be shorter than about half of the crane height.

to avoid these disadvantages i tried to put a slider into every segment but it got very unstable then. maybe i will try out a solution with only three sliders. two at the end and one in the middle segment...
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: crane simulator - 05/14/03 02:59

Ventilator,

Very cool, Im glad your physics programming are going better than mine.
Posted By: Guido_Richter

Re: crane simulator - 05/14/03 03:35

Wow thats really cool!Never saw something like this. [Eek!] [Smile]
If you solve problems that would be nice.For example you cant drive back the wire!
Posted By: James Snydstrup

Re: crane simulator - 05/14/03 04:11

ventilator:

Hey, that demo is a lot of fun! [Razz]

Re: crane simulator - 05/14/03 09:19

Very cool [Big Grin]

I remember a similar demo a while back, but the crane was mounted on a tank like vehicle so you could drive up to poles and knock them over.

Ventilator, do you have a website/gallery with your physics demos? You may also want to post a link in the showcase demo, so people don't miss your project.

Re: crane simulator - 05/14/03 13:39

In this time I'm working in a little firm where I learn how to repair computers and so.Yesterday I downloaded the simulator and it did'nt work because my computer is worst.Today I get my new computer in the firm and I will show this crane to my boss.I'll tell you what he said. [Big Grin]
Posted By: Guardian

Re: crane simulator - 05/14/03 18:28

Very cool, I don't have A6 yet but Wow! Thanks ventilator for the crane and other demos. Nice job Marco, on the physics engine. [Smile] Tryed to nock over the crane by shooting worlds at it. hehe. Real fun even on this older pc. [Big Grin]

Guardian
Posted By: ello

Re: crane simulator - 05/14/03 18:58

hey, total abgefahren! wie machst du das nur??

willst du nicht mal ein deutschsprachiges physics handbuch machen. das wäre total geil!
Posted By: oliver2s

Re: crane simulator - 05/15/03 07:03

Wow, total genial. Nur ein kleiner Bug: Wenn man denn Kran bis auf den Boden ablässt kann man nicht mehr ganz hoch, aber ansonsten super arbeit. [Wink]
Versuchs doch mal beim Summer-Contest, ich wette du gewinnst mit deinen genialen Physik Demos den 1st oder 2th Preis.

Re: crane simulator - 05/15/03 02:46

quote:
Ventilator, do you have a website/gallery with your physics demos? You may also want to post a link in the showcase demo, so people don't miss your project.
i posted it here because it isn't really finished. ...except for my vehicle physics experiments i don't have any other demos. but the car flips over so easily and i need to fix that before i show it to anyone... unfortunately i don't have much time at the moment for my physics experiments! [Smile]

quote:
Wow, total genial. Nur ein kleiner Bug: Wenn man denn Kran bis auf den Boden ablässt kann man nicht mehr ganz hoch, aber ansonsten super arbeit.
es ist auch am anfang nicht möglich das seil ganz hoch zu ziehen. ich hatte zwar schon eine lösung mit der das funktionierte, aber die war extrem langsam (die fps sanken von 80 auf 20!) und deshalb unbrauchbar...

Re: crane simulator - 05/25/03 18:23

The link doesn't "go" anymore! [Frown]

Re: crane simulator - 06/06/03 07:43

Hi Ventilator,

I saw some of your stuff and it looks very promising.
We are a group of experinced Game Developers of A4 (Chakravyuh) and would like to share some info with you on our upcoming projects.

We would like to work with you on a physics project.So if you could give us your email.we would like to get in touch with you.

Prasoon Dixit
Cold Shock Studios

Re: crane simulator - 06/07/03 01:53

ich würd den simulator auch mal gern antesten!

kann ihn mir jemand schicken, oder auf seinen webspace ziehen?

pls

thx
Basicer
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: crane simulator - 06/07/03 02:52

Du bisst nicht die Einzige!
Ich möchte ihm mir auch gerne ansehen, leider gebt die Seite eine error!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ARGH!

Es könnte einen Grund sein für mich A6 zu kaufen!!!!(Ich bin schon für 80% überzeugt, aber im Moment bietet A5.51 noch genug;)

Ist dieses gemacht mich die A6 commercial oder professional ????????
Posted By: seb_dup1

Re: crane simulator - 06/27/03 15:43

Ventilator,

how you made your clouds's movements ? it's really fantastic. Thanks.

[Smile]
Posted By: Christian__A

Re: crane simulator - 06/27/03 16:50

Hab mir das Teil mal gesaugt. Bin echt erstaunt was sich mit der Physik Engine alles anstellen lässt [Big Grin]
Mein Lob an Ventilator (Den ich jetzt hier in der Arbeit echt gut gebrauchen könnte).

Das ist auf jeden Fall A6 Pro.

Wenn der Ersteller nichts dagegen hat, würde ich das File heute Nachmittag auf unseren Webspace laden.
Posted By: Christian__A

Re: crane simulator - 06/27/03 23:14

Also ich hab das File jetzt auf unseren Server geladen. Hoffe Ventilator hat nichts dagegen, dass ich sein Meisterstück der begeistereten Welt zur Verfügung stelle. [Big Grin]
Hier ist das File: http://www.phz-games.de/crane.zip

Re: crane simulator - 06/27/03 23:24

ventilater are you coming out with a tutorial anytime soon?
By the way, i started that script for the ai for the bacteria, Wizrealms helped me a bit on it.

Re: crane simulator - 06/28/03 07:33

@seb: the skycube does have alpha transparency and the clouds layer is rendered behind. you can download some of my skycubes in the user contributions forum to find out how my cube model looks like.

@christiana: ich habe nichts dagegen! [Smile]

@greenknight: i don't have any plans for a tutorial, sorry! ...i hope there will be a demo of your bacteria project soon it sounds interesting! [Smile]

Re: crane simulator - 06/28/03 13:05

Ventilator, thanks for your replay, but i don't know what kind of clouds layer you use. Can you show me one example . Thanks a lot.

[Smile]

Re: crane simulator - 06/28/03 13:14

code:
sky clouds
{
type=<clouds.tga>;
layer=1;
scale_x=1;
speed_u=8;
speed_v=16;
material=mat_sky;
flags=dome,visible;
}

clouds.tga has to be a seamless 24bit tga texture. you could use a rendering of clouds made in terragen or photoshop, or a photography of clouds as source and then make it tillable...

Re: crane simulator - 06/28/03 13:18

Ventilator, Thanks . you're great.

[Smile]
Posted By: mk_1

Re: crane simulator - 06/30/03 15:03

physics still don't work properly in all cases:
 -
[Big Grin]

Re: crane simulator - 06/30/03 15:31

actually that's a quite realistic behavior! i guess a real crane would behave the same (if not worse) when a ball suddenly materializes inside any of it's parts! [Wink]

Re: crane simulator - 07/29/03 04:12

Ok, I found this thread again.I promised I will tell what my boss told.Ok, as I remember he found it really intresting.He read a book but he could'nt read a long sentence.he always looked up to see how realistic it is. [Smile]

Re: crane simulator - 07/29/03 04:15

he read a book about crane operation? [Smile]

Re: crane simulator - 07/29/03 05:03

no but he always watched the simulator [Wink] [Smile]

Re: crane simulator - 08/30/03 21:26

hey can u put the demo up? i think u deleted it. Put it up again
Posted By: ello

Re: crane simulator - 09/01/03 09:40

glückwunsch! ich habs schon geahnt als ich deine simulation das erstemal gesehen hab.
Posted By: Tobias_Runde

Re: crane simulator - 09/02/03 07:37

The demo and the source is part of the book "Spiele-Entwicklung mit dem 3D GameStudio 6" from Sybex ( www.sybex.de ).
Thanks to Ventilator (i need your address to send you the book, email me support@conitec.net )
Posted By: XNASorcerer

Re: crane simulator - 09/03/03 11:13

That book needs to be translated for English.

Re: crane simulator - 09/03/03 13:19

So can I not see the demo everyone is talking about without buying the book? I just wanna download the demo
Posted By: XNASorcerer

Re: crane simulator - 09/03/03 14:58

You can download it here
© 2024 lite-C Forums