Memory issue?

Posted By: WildCat

Memory issue? - 01/29/01 04:10

Anyone have any ideas why the following could give me an error (162) insufficient memory error starting with menu?:

BMAP Test_frame,<tpanel.bmp>;
BMAP health_bar,<health.pcx>;

BMAP menu,<menu.pcx>;
BMAP background,<bkgrd.pcx>;
BMAP healthb,<healthb.bmp>;
BMAP increasb,<increasb.bmp>;
BMAP decreasb,<decreasb.bmp>;
BMAP 1b,<1b.bmp>;
BMAP 2b,<2b.bmp>;
BMAP 5b,<5b.bmp>;
BMAP 10b,<10b.bmp>;

VAR bparticles,<bpartic.pcx>;
VAR gparticles,<gpartic.pcx>;
VAR PART_SPOT;
VAR PLAYER_HEALTH = 100;

The total size of all bmps and PCx's combined is less then 200k.

I have 512 meg of ram and a 32 meg video card. 3DGS is the only thing open after a reboot.

I'm just trying to set up for a couple of panels! This is very frustrating, please help.

- WildCat

Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Memory issue? - 01/29/01 04:27

What card do you have?
You could have a Viper for all I know. (32 megs memory, but has a tex memory default size of 256*256)

Re: Memory issue? - 01/29/01 04:32

For what it's worth, I have a
ASUS GeForce AGP-V6800 DDR SGRAM v3.75

(With the most recent drivers)

- WC

[This message has been edited by WildCat (edited 28 January 2001).]

Re: Memory issue? - 01/29/01 08:44

I got nearly the exact same system as you, only I've only got 128 megs of ram, parhaps one of your memory sticks has gone bad.

Re: Memory issue? - 01/29/01 08:54

My start up diagnostics don't show any problems... is there a utility that will check?

Re: Memory issue? - 01/29/01 11:39

Error 162 appears when there's definitely no space anymore in RAM or on the hard disk. Maybe your Win98 virtual memory is set to a fixed size or is allocated to the wrong drive.

Re: Memory issue? - 01/29/01 11:54

Is it possible you have a lot of textures in the texture manager loaded with the level?

------------------
Introspection seems illogical
www.definc.com

Re: Memory issue? - 01/29/01 15:10

Zidentia: I didn't even load a WAD with the level. The only texture in use is "Default"

JCL: I am running windows 98, and have the "Let windows manage my Virtual memory" option checked. I have 4 10 Gig partitions on my haed disk and 3 or more gig free on each partition.

The partition tha 3DGS is installed has over 8 gig left.

Any other ideas where I should look?

- WildCat

Re: Memory issue? - 01/30/01 06:27

Hate to say this, but check for a virus.
They just LOVE to wreak havoc with Ram!

For instance, if you're running Win9X and are unfortunate enough to have "Stealth-C" all you'll get for typing in "win" is a bounce back to the DOS prompt - without even so much as a GPF Error message!

-Neut.

Re: Memory issue? - 01/30/01 07:13

Hmmm... thats a long shot, since I just updated my files and ran last Wednesday, but I have nothing to loose so I'll try it. I would think that a virus would impact more than just one specific application. I have no problems with any other programs.

- WildCat

Re: Memory issue? - 01/30/01 12:14

Are these compressed partitions? Sometimes those can cause problems.

------------------
Introspection seems illogical
www.definc.com

Re: Memory issue? - 01/30/01 13:38

A4 does not care about drives or partitions, it just uses windows' virtual memory. What does "System Information" tell about your free system resources and swap file when running the progam?

Re: Memory issue? - 01/30/01 14:43

Jcl, This is what System Info tells me:

Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.2222 A
Clean install using Full OEM CD /T:C:\WININST0.400 /SrcDir=E:\WIN98 /IZ /II /IS /IQ /IT /II /NR /II /C /U:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
IE 5 5.00.2614.3500
Uptime: 1:10:53:59
Normal mode
On "GENIE" as "Colony"

GenuineIntel x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 3
511MB RAM
58% system resources free
Windows-managed swap file on drive C (3383MB free)
Available space on drive C: 3383MB of 9764MB (FAT32)
Available space on drive D: 8284MB of 9654MB (FAT32)
Available space on drive E: 16218MB of 19546MB (FAT32)

It also has a **lot** more to say, but I don't know if any of the other stuff is important.

- WildCat

Re: Memory issue? - 01/31/01 08:07

ehehehehehhe
ehehehehehehe
ehehehehhehehe
quote:

BMAP Test_frame,<tpanel.bmp>;
BMAP health_bar,<health.pcx>;

BMAP menu,<menu.pcx>;
BMAP background,<bkgrd.pcx>;
BMAP healthb,<healthb.bmp>;
BMAP increasb,<increasb.bmp>;
BMAP decreasb,<decreasb.bmp>;
BMAP 1b,<1b.bmp>;
BMAP 2b,<2b.bmp>;
BMAP 5b,<5b.bmp>;
BMAP 10b,<10b.bmp>;

VAR PART_SPOT;
VAR PLAYER_HEALTH = 100;

Look,
quote:

You try to put a PCX file into a VAR
eheheheheheh
try change VAR to BMAP

Joshua

Re: Memory issue? - 01/31/01 02:45

Bahha! I **slay** me!

Wow. There's a problem I'll never forget.

Joshua, thank you soooo much. I can't wait to try what you suggest tonight.

I'll let you all know how I make out.

- WildCat

Re: Memory issue? - 01/31/01 03:10

Salve Ser

If the prolem is change VAR to BMAP, you need get a MISTMESH ERROR or a OVERFLOW ERROR and never an error (162) insufficient memory error.

Well, maybe, with this error, you found a little bug in A4 message table.

Joshua

Re: Memory issue? - 01/31/01 15:02

Joshua,
Changing VAR to BMAP did nothing. In fact, I double checked, and you the bitmaps for Bparticl and Gparticl worked fine as defined that way.

I DID find out what the problem was though. I had saved all the BMP files as 16 color files instead of 256 colors.

JCL... Not that I will ***EVER*** make this mistake again, but is there any way you could change the error message on this issue from "Out of memory" to something a little more helpful, like wrong color depth or something?

Thanks!

-WildCat

Re: Memory issue? - 03/02/01 00:50

Yes , I know, this topic is more than 1 month old,
but I have to agree on what WildCat said :
" JCL... is there any way you could change the error message
on this issue ... to something a little more helpful ".
I defined a Dataview on a Database on an EMPTY txt-file
and got : "error (162) : insufficient memory " !
- took me an hour to find out..
Capella

Re: Memory issue? - 03/02/01 21:47

guys, if you have 512 or something mg ram and are runing a windows 98 you are trying to drive 300km/h with a bike. windows only manages 128 and no more. not even windows ME can help you with that.you will need an server OS like windows nt or windows 2000. other wise it will tell you what you have(sometimes not even that) but will never make you pc faster.

try changing your OS, or give everything the half or a fouth of the size. this should do it. its a lot of work but some day you will need to do it anyway.

hope to help

Cahetel

Re: Memory issue? - 03/03/01 00:37

While it is true that Win98/ME doesn't address anything more than 128 MB, does not mean that no other program can...

Photoshop, 3D Studio Max, Quake 3 (it's true!), can all address whatever system memory you have, regardless of the OS.

------------------
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

Spectre

Re: Memory issue? - 03/03/01 01:29

thats nice to know. i didn't know that but the problem is that some of the resources of drx8 are OS conected and that make everything more than 128 a wast.
dont get me wrong but changing to w2000 or even to linux is still the best solution.

but try decresing the size of the things

Re: Memory issue? - 03/03/01 02:02

Man, I hope they don't teach that in school, because you are wrong.

The whole purpose of using an API is to get bypass the OS and get to a lower level. AGP is used because it bypasses the regular system bus and can access system memory directly, at speeds the PCI bus can't.

Furthermore, after extensive testing, it has been proven that almost all applications run faster with 512 MB RAM vs 128. The increase is marginal from 128 to 256. In fact, Q3 runs slower with 256 MB RAM than it does with 128. BUT, increase that RAM to 512 and Q3 (for example) gets a massive increase.

All I really disagree with is "more than 128 is waste". I recently ordered and built 2 computers for my boss...and only got them 128 RAM. Not everyone needs more RAM. But, having 512 MB is certainly not a waste! Yes, win9x sucks at utilizing memeory...but it doesn't mean having more is a wasted and that getting another OS the best solution!

------------------
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

Spectre

© 2024 lite-C Forums