No antialiasing in GS but . . .

Posted By: Ganderoleg

No antialiasing in GS but . . . - 04/05/07 14:07

O.k.
...so GS doesn’t support application-based-control of anti-aliasing but does anyone knows of a launcher or program that can change display settings before the game starts and set anti-aliasing to 2X or something (like game-launcher of Call of Cthulhu). I couldn’t find anything on the web so far…
Thanks for answers!
Posted By: Nowherebrain

Re: No antialiasing in GS but . . . - 04/05/07 15:25

you may be able to execute the program that sets the level inside gamestudio, correct me if I am wrong someone. Search for exec? maybe execute in the manual. I don't have an example...sorry.
Posted By: xXxGuitar511

Re: No antialiasing in GS but . . . - 04/06/07 03:32

yeah, exec(File, Arg);

Re: No antialiasing in GS but . . . - 04/06/07 12:02

O.k. Starting the program from within the game to change anti-aliasing settings is what I had in mind too. I’ve done a similar thing with changing the monitor hertz with a little program that I executed on start of my game.

But what program…? I still don’t have anything that can change graphic card settings fast and without any input from user.

Thank for taking interest in my problem.
Posted By: Nowherebrain

Re: No antialiasing in GS but . . . - 04/07/07 17:18

use the program that your video card uses, Nvdia has a controll panel and so does ati..try one of those, or contact their tech support to see if there is an easier way.

Re: No antialiasing in GS but . . . - 04/08/07 13:17

I guess I could use Nvidia and Ati programs but, as you wroth, they are control panel programs. And it’s a little unprofessional to ask from user to adjust manually his graphics.

I need a simple application that can change settings for 2 or 3 things (anti-aliasing, anisotropic and vertical refresh) but thanks anyway.
Posted By: bstudio

Re: No antialiasing in GS but . . . - 04/09/07 08:23

maybe there's a way to acces this via C++ or something
Posted By: Mystery

Re: No antialiasing in GS but . . . - 04/22/07 09:55

I don't think setting Anti-Aliasing via an engine plugin or a launcher is possible, because Anti-Alaising is set during DirectX-Initialization and if the dynamic bind of the DLL is performed after the Init of DirectX, there's no chance of setting Anti-Alaising.
Posted By: tompo

Re: No antialiasing in GS but . . . - 04/22/07 10:05

True... in all games when you changing anti-alising you must restart the game.
So first you have to change anti-alising and then run level.
So we need exec which one will first change anti-aliasing settings and then run the level.exe.
Posted By: Matt_Aufderheide

Re: No antialiasing in GS but . . . - 04/22/07 13:32

Quote:

I don't think setting Anti-Aliasing via an engine plugin or a launcher is possible, because Anti-Alaising is set during DirectX-Initialization and if the dynamic bind of the DLL is performed after the Init of DirectX, there's no chance of setting Anti-Alaising.

Changing AA settings requires that the D3D device be recreated. Therefore, only A6 can do that, otherwise it couldnt draw anything later on.

Re: No antialiasing in GS but . . . - 04/22/07 13:56

So we have to wait for: var d3d_antialiasing = 1;
But why Conitec didn'd do it till now ?!?!
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: No antialiasing in GS but . . . - 04/22/07 15:22

Conitec can do this but it works only once when the engine starts. So this variable d3d_antialiasing is only usable once you start the engine.
Posted By: Orange Brat

Re: No antialiasing in GS but . . . - 04/22/07 21:19

Quote:

I don't think setting Anti-Aliasing via an engine plugin or a launcher is possible,

A launcher should be able to accommodate this. I know Wintermute Engine's standard pre-game launcher has a dropdown option to set the AA to whatever you want before starting the game, so I'm guessing someone could write a custom launcher for their 3DGS game to do the same thing.

Re: No antialiasing in GS but . . . - 04/25/07 21:25

Quote:

Changing AA settings requires that the D3D device be recreated. Therefore, only A6 can do that, otherwise it couldnt draw anything later on.

I’m not much of a programmer but I don’t think we need GS to change AA. When I change AA settings manually (via graphic card software) it shows in my game made with GS.

So...I just have to find a way not to do it manually and then start my game.

I’m sure there’s a launcher or a little exe somewhere on the web I just haven’t found it jet.
I’ll check that Wintermute launcher to see if that is useful for GS.

Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: No antialiasing in GS but . . . - 04/26/07 16:15

Quote:

So why does it work when enabling this in our graphics card settings?

Cheers

Re: No antialiasing in GS but . . . - 04/26/07 16:31

becouse is not true
not only a6 can do that, but you can do it manually in graphic settings, or by graphic application like powerstrip.
Question is... how to write a file (dll, exe, plugin... I don't know) which one will first changing FSAA (f.e. in window's reg) and then run level and switch it back on exit.
Posted By: Matt_Aufderheide

Re: No antialiasing in GS but . . . - 04/26/07 20:35

Quote:

Quote:

So why does it work when enabling this in our graphics card settings?

I think everyone misunderstood me or i wasnt clear. Obviously you can change it in external settings. However you cant change it in a dll, because that means you must recreate the device, which makes a new backbuffer...A6 needs to create the device itself.
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: No antialiasing in GS but . . . - 04/26/07 21:29

Matt try the following; check you graphics card settings and make sure it's set at 'let the application decide' when it comes to anti-aliasing, with 3D gamestudio this will mean no FSAA -> start any 3d gamestudio game (should not use sphere or render_view.dll or it will crash) -> minimalize it or use windowed mode -> change your graphics card settings to anti-aliasing 6x or something by default -> the game you are running will now have anti-aliasing enabled.

It's not possible to do this change while the engine's renderer is running together with the render_view.dll, i've tried it out, but I get the following errors:

Code:

Malfunction W-2113929204

Unnamed Error No. -2113929204
| ok | cancel |

Code:

Error E1513
Crash in render_backbuffer

So ... perhaps it is possible, somehow,

Cheers

Re: No antialiasing in GS but . . . - 04/27/07 18:50

I don’t believe it- bloody Wintermute Engine has it! Little, ugly, freeware program that don’t even need AA settings has AA launcher and we don’t!

I think this is matter of honor - how can it be that non of us knows how to do this? Just to make sure- I’m not criticizing Conitec or GS or anyone responsible for GS Engine: They don’t have to do this, not even in A7 engine. This doesn’t have to be part of the engine. It can be solved in another way apart from the engine.

And it’s not about doing it for free- I’m sure that who ever make this launcher could sell it to GS community. I know I would gladly pay for it if I could (not more then 10$-15$ do).

I think that the main problem is about platform- I think that this AA launcher would have to be made with some very expensive tools (like Borland). I don’t know if it is maybe possible to just make this Wintermute AA launcher somehow works for us?
© 2024 lite-C Forums