by 11honza11. 04/30/24 08:16
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (VoroneTZ, AndrewAMD, TipmyPip), 918 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
deactivate not seeing entitys #467692
08/22/17 17:32
08/22/17 17:32
CocaCola Offline OP
CocaCola  Offline OP

Hello,
is it possible to deactivate entity behind huge entitys, automatically?
in the key_tab menue, in point "ent" I have listed entitys who are behind buildings.
If I have a way to recognize, I would deactivate they

Re: deactivate not seeing entitys [Re: CocaCola] #467712
08/24/17 09:16
08/24/17 09:16
CocaCola Offline OP
CocaCola  Offline OP

it was the cliping, I was loocking for.
have found it in the infinite_terrain.c
Code:
my.eflags |= CLIP0;

I forgot it.

Re: deactivate not seeing entitys [Re: CocaCola] #467713
08/24/17 09:24
08/24/17 09:24
Hiporope and its pain
txesmi Offline
Serious User
txesmi  Offline
Serious User

Hiporope and its pain
Hi,
3dgs automatic entity culling is made by the structure of the BSP tree (3dgsPro only) of the level. It can be fine tuned by regions. You can use regions with lower 3dgs licenses but the function that allows you to customly hide/show the content of a region is 3dgsPro only too since it is BSP tree structure dependant.

You can draw regions with lower 3dgs versions in WED and build a list of entities contained by each region after level load so you can manage their visibility by some events, proximity or so.

Salud!

edited: oh yes! culling by lod stages could be a solution too. laugh

Last edited by txesmi; 08/24/17 09:26.
Re: deactivate not seeing entitys [Re: txesmi] #467716
08/24/17 13:28
08/24/17 13:28
CocaCola Offline OP
CocaCola  Offline OP

My level is generated by code can i make a BSP tree for entitys created with script (ent_create)?

with my.eflags |= CLIP0; i have mor fps but if I'm locking at a wall and I do see only the wall, the tab menue call me there are 3000 visible entitys, how can I chose erea for turn on off the visible?

Re: deactivate not seeing entitys [Re: CocaCola] #467723
08/24/17 18:44
08/24/17 18:44
Hiporope and its pain
txesmi Offline
Serious User
txesmi  Offline
Serious User

Hiporope and its pain
Originally Posted By: CocaCola
My level is generated by code can i make a BSP tree for entitys created with script (ent_create)?

No. the BSP tree is based on level blocks and regions but you can create regions by script. If you don't own a 3dgsPro license you can't show/hide entities by areas, just one by one.

with my.eflags |= CLIP0; i have mor fps but if I'm locking at a wall and I do see only the wall, the tab menue call me there are 3000 visible entitys, how can I chose erea for turn on off the visible?

That is not an easy task. You will need to cut your level somehow, link near entities to each chunk and back the visibility to each other so you can hide/show entities by chunks in a light and reliable way. That is how the BSP tree works actually. Otherway there is no info enough to know if something will be covered by other entity. Solid entities are not sorted by the distance to the camera in the rendering stage.

Re: deactivate not seeing entitys [Re: txesmi] #467726
08/24/17 22:00
08/24/17 22:00
CocaCola Offline OP
CocaCola  Offline OP

Solid entities, I will try that, for buildings. I hope not forget it.

I'm owner of a Com Version...

there are some features only for the pro Version, I want test game studio in legacy mode in Visual Studio, and so I hope not to much functions are only in lite_c, but that later...

I make my level with code or own level Editor and save the entity valves in a script, maby I try later a Level import from blender in wed to use BSP.

...in the manual I saw the words Scene Management, Visibility Determination, Hidden Surface Removal , its realy not so easy and it was confusing for me that I not see the entitys but the the key_tab menue find many polygons.

Whats about you? Do you have some books about scene rendering ?

Re: deactivate not seeing entitys [Re: CocaCola] #467737
08/25/17 13:05
08/25/17 13:05
Hiporope and its pain
txesmi Offline
Serious User
txesmi  Offline
Serious User

Hiporope and its pain
Whats about you? Do you have some books about scene rendering ?

Not really. I read thousands of online articles here and there. More than a decade of gamasutras and other sites feeds gives a bit of info about the theme. DirectX is directX at the end. All my rest is test&fail comprehension.

Originally Posted By: txesmi
Solid entities are not sorted by the distance to the camera in the rendering stage.

I meant that no engine sorts the full solid meshes because it is an expensive task and triangles and pixels are automatically clipped by the graphic card through the zbuffer. At the same time all of the engines clip the meshes that are out of the view fustrum. Additively they use some sort of backed data in order to determine meshes visibility before building their draw calls. I guess that 3dgs low licenses use an ABT system (Adaptative Binary Tree) in order to compute the entities inside the view fustrum instead of checking the whole entity list, but I can be wrong. As far as I know it is not clearly stated anywhere.

Re: deactivate not seeing entitys [Re: txesmi] #467738
08/25/17 17:10
08/25/17 17:10
Deutschland
E
Ezzett Offline
Ezzett  Offline
E

Deutschland
I think there is no magic trick to do this. In the end it depends on clever level design like connecting two areas containing a lot of entities with a small corridor and manually freeing the already visited area from memory and manually loading the new area into memory while the player walks through the corridor. Big games do thing like this all the time.

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de