by 3run. 03/01/24 19:06
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (degenerate_762), 1,098 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sakolin, rajesh7827, juergen_wue, NITRO_FOREVER, jack0roses
19043 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Crash with long macros #465017
03/26/17 23:28
03/26/17 23:28
Germany
Error014 Offline OP
Expert
Error014  Offline OP
Expert

Germany
I've recently encountered a crash when compiling when very large macros are part of the script. Here's an example that is ridicolously stupid code. If you use the first line for the macro definition, there is no crash, but there is with the second ("Acknex has encountered a problem and must..."-windows error message). At least on my machine!

Code:
//does not crash:
#define MACROTEST i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;
//does crash:
//#define MACROTEST i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;i++;

function main() {
	char i;
	error("begin");
	MACROTEST
	sys_exit(NULL);
}

I've went through the trouble of finding the exact amount of "i++;" where the crash occurs: The second line features exactly one more than the first.

This is not usually a problem, as these lines can be rather long. However, if one uses (several) nested macros, one can encounter this in real-life scenarios.
And while I haven't yet replicated this in a small standalone example, I feel that there is a stage where such long macros result in compiler errors, but no outright crashes to windows. Those errors tend to be on the less-than-helpful side (" '' undeclared identifier"), as if parts of the line I expected the macro to be expanded to were simply cut off.

It makes sense, granted, that there is some limit to the line length. But this behaviour should at least be added to the manual. And, if possible, more helpful error messages displayed when an error with a macro was encountered.

All this is perhaps in vain, as I am unsure if development of Acknex is still ongoing?

Last edited by Error014; 03/26/17 23:39. Reason: removed faulty example, added more info

Perhaps this post will get me points for originality at least.

Check out Dungeon Deities! It's amazing and will make you happy, successful and almost certainly more attractive! It might be true!
Re: Crash with long macros [Re: Error014] #465126
04/03/17 16:24
04/03/17 16:24
Frankfurt
jcl Offline

Chief Engineer
jcl  Offline

Chief Engineer

Frankfurt
Thanks for the info! Possibly some buffer overflow - we'll check and fix that for future updates. It is not in vain.

Moderated by  jcl, Nems, Spirit, Tobias 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de