Hi!

Unfortunately I have no own experience with the workflow from the gameengine to a cutscene (which will be probably an edited AVI-File). However since this is something that I´m very interested in, I store each inch of information that I can find. First you´ll need something that can record the images. There has been a thread recently, that mentioned a number of programs:

taksi
fraps
camstudio
camtasia
snag it 7

Some or all of these programs will certainly allow some editing, and I guess, they are not expensive or even freeware. But I have no idea with which resolutions they work.

Film / Video editing software might be more advanced, but here you have to know, that there are exact specifications for image size and fps (frame per second). So I would certainly first look for these tools, I mentioned above.

In AUM 37 (faq) I also found a simple code, for recording. Voilá:

"Paste the code below at the end of your script, and then press "C" to start the capture. Exit the game and you will see many screenshots in your game folder; move them to a new folder and assemble them as a movie using a video editing tool (Animation Shop that comes with Paint Shop Pro, etc).

var shot_number = 1;

starter create_movie()
{
while (key_c == 0) {wait (1);}
while (1)
{
screenshot ("shot_", shot_number);
shot_number += 1;
wait (1);
}
}

Note: "screenshot" instruction is replaced with file_for_screen

file_for_screen("shot.png",123); // save screenshot "shot123.png"

The editing software should be able to import and assemble the jpg´s into a movie-file ...