And now for something completely different...

Quote:

As someone who has no desire to port to Mac, I would be concerned as to what this would do to the actual win 3DGS engine development. Seems like this would spread the 3DGS team a bit thin, push back A7 release, etc....

They could hire an outside team to do it I guess, but the est. $50k price tag doesn't seem like enough for that...

That is why I was curious what the larger picture would be. Quite likely you would not have a dedicated Windows engine and a dedicated OSX engine - it would be a cross platform engine (and could very well be A7 or A8). Much of the development would not be affected, except of course the vast majority of JCLs work. Physics will operate more or less the same. Formats are not dependant on DirectX or OpenGL (you can even load X files in OpenGL). C-Script would not even have to change at all - since it doesn't run alone, it hooks to the engine. The only changes would be to the core engine...which is what JCL works on, apparently by himself. Granted it would be a lot of changes - but most of them can be made transparent to Windows users (other than clarities sake - you wouldn't even need to change things like the D3D_* commands).

Anywho, it would be interesting to know what a Mac port would really mean to the engine - beyond just operating on OSX.

Virtual Worlds - Rebuilding the Universe one Pixel at a Time. Take a look - daily news and weekly content updates.