Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
bestwinsite
by winsite3. 05/30/24 04:10
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (SBGuy, AndrewAMD, VoroneTZ), 912 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AemStones, LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv
19055 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Moving at the speed of light [Re: Joey] #357476
02/07/11 12:52
02/07/11 12:52
Germany
Error014 Offline
Expert
Error014  Offline
Expert

Germany
Alberto, it seems that you still haven't noticed that we've mostly been talking about the other part of the twin paradox. We weren't wondering about the fact THAT the twins have different ages - I believe that this is true has been established early. The fact is merely that people say (**NOT ME**, by the way. I add this disclaimer since that went wrong last time :P) that since everything is relative, you should be able to do the same for Twin B, giving you the opposite age difference. That this is false (because of the fact that twin B is not moving in an inertial frame, see below) has been established on page three. laugh

However, I'm getting really tired of discussing this here, since - again - there is absolutely nothing LEFT to discuss.
I really feel that I've answered this "paradox" about ten times already. I really don't feel like doing it yet again.

But fine, one last time: Here's my answer regarding everything of the twin paradox: Calculate it in Twin A's system, which is an inertial frame. You'll get the result that we've seen above several times.
Now, since that it a completely tensorial equation, it'll be true in all coordinate systems.

Yes, different paths trough spacetime will have a different "length" (referring to the Minkowski-metric here, which, as we know, is no real metric), so the age-difference will depend on parameters that define the path, including the relative percentage of constant movement, acceleration and "turning around".

[The term "inertial frame" has definately something to do with the twin paradox: the formulas are only valid in inertial frames. Twin B's system is *NOT* an inertial frame. It follows that the equations cannot be used in his system - and applying them in that system was the essence of the twin paradox (well, it's second part)].

Perhaps this post will get me points for originality at least.

Check out Dungeon Deities! It's amazing and will make you happy, successful and almost certainly more attractive! It might be true!
Re: Moving at the speed of light [Re: Error014] #357504
02/07/11 14:42
02/07/11 14:42
Netherlands
Joozey Offline
Expert
Joozey  Offline
Expert

Netherlands
How would stars look like when you travel at the speed of light and faster?

Click and join the 3dgs irc community!
Room: #3dgs
Re: Moving at the speed of light [Re: Joozey] #357506
02/07/11 14:43
02/07/11 14:43
ventilator Offline
Senior Expert
ventilator  Offline
Senior Expert

i also wonder about this.

is the effect on the enterprise windshield realistic? laugh or those points/lines star systems?

Re: Moving at the speed of light [Re: ventilator] #357568
02/07/11 18:09
02/07/11 18:09
A
AlbertoT Offline
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline
Serious User
A

Quote:
According to you, at which point does the relative aging process (making A older than B) occur? During flight? The cruise time?

The aging process occur during the whole flight

Quote:
Since both clocks are at the same place (on earth) when they compare them this result is nonsense... something has to happen during turning back

Your scenario is exactly what I meant but, in my opinion, you draw a false conclusion

Before explaining my point of view,let's make a simple consideration :

a) a mission to mars : departure - 1 year flight to go - turning back - 1 year flight back - landing
b) a mission to juppiter : departure - 4 year flight to go - turning back - 4 year flight back - landing

Following your reasoning the time shift ahould be the same but in case b) it is higher than in a)

Having said that, my point of view :

The two twins have been living for a period of time in different " time / space domains" which caused the de syncronization of their clocks
The logical but non intuitive explanation of this effect has been already discussed
Once the twin is back, his clock remains desyncronized
This effect is described in the special relativity whereas both twins are in a inertial system ( exactly the same system according to the Galileo's definition of inertial system)
Therefore there is no reason to emphasize the concept of "inertial " system

Someone claimed that the scenario of the special theory is not realistic due to the fact that in the reality the pilot must reverse his velocity

Ok but such kind of abstractions are normal in pyisics !
You can figure out a realistic scenario whereas the effect of turning acceleration / deceleration are negligible
The velocity is , in the equation, in term of : V^2 thus the sign does not play any role

Quote:
So let me ask you a question: How - with which formulas, which theory - would you describe the change of flight direction from "away from earth" to "towards

You must apply the theory of general relativity
I agree with you and Error00014
But in my opinion you and Erro014 missed, so to speak, "The big target"
In other words
To explain the time shift in a real situation you dont need to evoke "inertial system" and all that stuff which are redundant or even deceiving
The " essence" of the twins paradox lies in the special relativity

Last edited by AlbertoT; 02/07/11 18:14.
Re: Moving at the speed of light [Re: AlbertoT] #357580
02/07/11 18:54
02/07/11 18:54
Cambridge
Joey Offline
Expert
Joey  Offline
Expert

Cambridge
Puh.

Originally Posted By: AlbertoT
The aging process occur during the whole flight

It doesn't, as my example proved. Anyway, if you don't believe me, believe Wikipedia or any text book on that issue.

Quote:
a) a mission to mars : departure - 1 year flight to go - turning back - 1 year flight back - landing
b) a mission to juppiter : departure - 4 year flight to go - turning back - 4 year flight back - landing

Following your reasoning the time shift ahould be the same but in case b) it is higher than in a)

no, I didn't say that. The inertial systems that B changes are not the same in scenario a) and b).

Quote:
Once the twin is back, his clock remains desyncronized

Ok, one last question on this, maybe then you'll see that you are wrong on that.
Following your reasoning, which is - again to make sure we're talking about the same thing - turning around has nothing to do with it but ONLY the free (no acceleration/turning/whatever) motion of B in space. How do you explain that B is the older one in the end if NOTHING distinguishes their relative motion?

Quote:
Therefore there is no reason to emphasize the concept of "inertial " system

It is, because without it the twin paradox is a paradox.

Quote:
Ok but such kind of abstractions are normal in pyisics !
You can figure out a realistic scenario whereas the effect of turning acceleration / deceleration are negligible

Tell us that scenario, I am quite sure that in this case you can't.

Quote:
The velocity is , in the equation, in term of : V^2 thus the sign does not play any role

What does the sign of v have to do with that?

Quote:
The " essence" of the twins paradox lies in the special relativity

Maybe you can do such a calculation for us. The steps B moves away from earth, B turns around and B moves towards earth should be done separately. You may neglect the middle step if you think it is not important.

Re: Moving at the speed of light [Re: Joey] #357838
02/08/11 21:38
02/08/11 21:38
UK, Aylesbury
A
AdrenalinMod Offline
AdrenalinMod  Offline
A

UK, Aylesbury
Mathematically this is whole simple. Just take the speed, multiplied by gamma and you get the speed of the ship it has when you take Einstein's formulae. Like that, the travel is for B much shorter than for A. This should be common knowledge for everyone seriously into game programming as it is mathematically trivial.

Re: Moving at the speed of light [Re: Joey] #357851
02/08/11 21:49
02/08/11 21:49
A
AlbertoT Offline
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline
Serious User
A

Quote:
Following your reasoning, which is - again to make sure we're talking about the same thing - turning around has nothing to do with it but ONLY the free (no acceleration/turning/whatever) motion of B in space.

I suppose I made myself understood on this point
I said that both the free motion and the turning around cause a permanent time shift
The former can be calculated using the simple equation of the special relativity
The latter need the much more complicated general relativity theory

I said also that in case of a long journay the former definitely prevail over the latter which can be therefore ignored
The special relativiy only is therefore sufficent to explain the time shift which occur in spatial missions without the need of further complication

Quote:
How do you explain that B is the older one in the end if NOTHING distinguishes their relative motion?

This question has been asked also by Error014

The twins are identical at the beginning but their Hystories are differnt

a spend the whole life on the earth
b part on the earth and part in the space

It is b who returns to earth ,iit is not a

We are talking about a " principle of equivalence "

Equivalence entails "symmetry" , it does not entail "identity"

There is thereforo no logical contraddiction in the claim " A is older than B"

It is not , of course, an intuitive claim

These are the only serious questions, and you got my answer
The others are only issues...sorry

Last edited by AlbertoT; 02/08/11 21:53.
Re: Moving at the speed of light [Re: AlbertoT] #357853
02/08/11 21:54
02/08/11 21:54
Cambridge
Joey Offline
Expert
Joey  Offline
Expert

Cambridge
If you say that the turning point can be neglected then there is no such thing as a different history for A and B, as both - according to your symmetry principle, or better special relativity - are moving relative to each other. With constant speed. Thus, A is older in B's frame, B is older in A's frame. Contradiction.

As relative motion does not distinguish A and B, what does? (I give you the answer: B turns around.)

@AdrenalinMob: Maybe you can make such a trivial calculation for us. I'd really like to see it.

Last edited by Joey; 02/08/11 21:55.
Re: Moving at the speed of light [Re: Joey] #357855
02/08/11 21:59
02/08/11 21:59
UK, Aylesbury
A
AdrenalinMod Offline
AdrenalinMod  Offline
A

UK, Aylesbury
@Joey: no time

Re: Moving at the speed of light [Re: AdrenalinMod] #358069
02/09/11 17:11
02/09/11 17:11
Germany
Error014 Offline
Expert
Error014  Offline
Expert

Germany
Quote:

How would stars look like when you travel at the speed of light and faster?

Now this is an interesting question, deserving of a thorough discussion! laugh

One of the effects predicted by Special Relativity is that moving things (imagine a one-meter long pole) appear shorter in the direction they're moving in for an observer at rest. I.e., if I throw a 1-m-pole past you:

Code:
---  ->
Pole
    X Observer

Then it'll appear shorter than 1m to you. Instead, it'll seem to be 1m/\Gamma for you.

So if you're moving at a noticable fraction of c (let's ignore velocities bigger than c for now -- on the grounds that since the energy needed to get you there approaches infinity, but we can try and discuss that theoretical thing later if you want), in a system that has you at rest (your rest frame) will see the stars moving in a noticable fraction of c. In turn, they'd appear shorter.

But here's the thing: This is all regarding the pure length of the object. We're interested in what we see, right? If that is the case, then we'll find the complete opposite to be true.

This is known as Terrell Rotation (or, depending on who you ask, Penrose-Terrell rotation).
Here's a nice article on it: Link!

Now, if you do the math, you'll find:
objects passing you appear rotated (see above)
objects moving away from you appear contracted
objects moving closer to you appear elongated.

So yes, you might actually see those kind of lines. laugh

Joey, Alberto -- does anyone of you know more about this Perrell-Tenrose-effect that you'd like to add?

Perhaps this post will get me points for originality at least.

Check out Dungeon Deities! It's amazing and will make you happy, successful and almost certainly more attractive! It might be true!
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite