Quote:
Most of those people are in relationships and most of them met their partners after they became disabled.
from what I can tell the same factors that influence relationships with abled people influence relationships with disabled people. If a person is clean, neat and friendly a wheelchair does not seem to matter.

How many of those have partners that aren't in a wheelchair? Also.. it's of course great for them that they are able to get into relationships.

Quote:
In fact most people in wheelchairs seem to do better with relationships than most computer nerds that I know

No surprise there, as that's of course because you're then focusing on a very specific group of people. Lots of which aren't exactly very socially skilled. :P

Quote:
@Lukas the evolutionary pressures for relationships are about forming stable partnerships not about hunting or breeding. in all monogamous relationships the evolutionary imperative is to find the personality that will form the strongest union.

That's not quite true. Evolution doesn't care about monogamous relationships at all. Society does. I'm sure the breeding part is still a vital part of how people select their partners.

It's why, regardless of what people think, someone's appearance still matters a whole lot these days in monogamous relationships. I'm sure someone who looks very healthy is preferable over someone who's incredibly funny but looks like a tramp. It's exactly opposite of what you're saying here:

Quote:
in essence a weaker partner who is reliable is of greater value than a handsome strong partner who is unreliable.

That doesn't have to be true at all. I think more often than not, people won't consciously choose for the most "reliable" persons at all. There are lots of very adventurous personalities out there. It's probably because from the perspective of evolution we were meant to be polygamous.....

Quote:
yes, but if there are those two choices in front of you what would make you think that there isnt a beautiful/handsome strong partner who is also reliable. This "one perfect match" stuff is all pure BS. There is always someone better, and in this case, I'm sure there is just as good of a match with someone who you can relate to on a better level even ability-wise.

Well said. The very same thing is what would naturally prevent me from going for a relationship with someone in a wheelchair. I doubt I could really fall in love with someone with such a disability, nor could it be a 'perfect match' by definition when it comes to my preferences.

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software