Nowherebrain take a look at PnP Terrain creator. If you take one of their demo terrains and export the texture splatting alphamap it creates a black and white for each terrain texture on the map. So you grass will have its own black and white map and the dirt will have its own and the sand its own etc.

I was wondering why something like that could not be done but when I try and think of how you would load these in MEDs skin editor?

I do not know how we can get our high mountains to look different from the beach area if you only can use 4 textures.

I have used nearly every terrain editor out there and have been messing with terrains alone for nearly 3 months now. I have tried my own methods and experimented but have not found any method I have been happy with that would compete terrain wise with a commercial game out there. It would be nice to at least be able to put normal mapping on terrain textures.

PnP Terrain There is a beta version if you ask that has a 3D Game Studio exporter. The hmps do come in to MED okay but not textured. I will mention this to him later as I would like to see this tool go farther for A7 users. This thing is capable of making some nice massive terrain. He designed it for doing large mmorpg terrains.