Quote:
My fear is that A7 will not be able to handle larger outdoor terrains for a role playing game in space as flying a ship around is going to take up land space like driving fast cars. You need to be able to have large levels for that.

Is A7 capable of handling good frame rates for outdoor scenes and indoor scenes with shaders and a lot of models. Think what most rpgs have in their levels.
Thats no big deal. You can use LOD and many many other tricks to make big levels. I have thrown some huge levels at a7 and it responds extremely well. It all depends on what your doing. On a very large flight simulator type of level you will probably need to flatten your textures, but thats only if your levels are absolutely huge.

RPG's where your player walks around through the forest from village to village you would just use some tricks to create the illusion of a huge level. You could load in levels on the fly, you could just move things around like a treadmill, there are a lot of tricks, but there is no question in my mind about what a7 can do.

Quote:
for a role playing game in space
If you mean a game like freelancer or something in space then these levels are the easiest to make extremely huge. One technique I have used is to actually make the player the center of a very large sphere with the normals inverted, essentially everywhere the player moves his universe moves with him also. Then you could change the texture of the sphere and it made good LOD type effects when you moved a planet through it.

There are a lot of ways of making huge levels. Im sure you would get plenty of help here if thats what your trying to do.