Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Akow, TipmyPip, tomaslolo), 788 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AemStones, LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv
19055 Registered Users
Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Page 1 of 2 1 2
You Too Can Have Excitement of a Voluptuous Nature #199299
12/14/07 22:39
12/14/07 22:39
Massachusetts, USA
Ichiro Offline OP
User
You Too Can Have Excitement of a Voluptuous Nature

The Wonderful End of the World, our 12th title. It's in Showcase II now, because it's pretty much complete. Is this an example of what to do for a game, or what not to do? I don't know yet, but will tell everyone once we find out. Some questions have come up during development of this title. In no particular order:

0. I like A6, but I hear A7 is better.

1. Have you thought about adopting a pet?

2. Why use 3DGS? Why not use 3DGS? You aren't the boss of me!

3. Do male gamers between the ages of 14-25 like heterogeneous objects in 3 dimensions?

4. If you could have a life-sized cardboard cutout of JCL or Doug in your livingroom, which would it be?

5. The Wonderful End of the World (EoW) is coming out later this month, or I'm just going to stop writing games for a living.

6. Why does your life-sized cardboard cutout of Doug have teeth marks? Have you been gnawing on his head?

7. I wish they had 3DGS for the Xbox 360 and the Wii and my toaster. Except that I don't have a 360. Or a toaster. So, forget that, man.

8. I have to thank a few people in these forums for posting some exceptionally useful stuff. I think Ello's one of them, but I want to check my notes before I thank him. I'd hate to have to take it back.

9. Trivia: My future son-in-law was probably born earlier this year.

10. I really mean it about the cardboard cutout. That's sick.

Und so, if you're still reading (and who wouldn't be, after those rousing and interesting questions?), here's a description of each shot (left-to-right, by row, top to bottom):

1. At the end of the game, the sky is orange, and a megalopolis is on fire. This is your fault.

2. Rice Cake Parade is a fictional storybook world where rice cakes play.

3. Ditto.

4. Internet cafe after hours. People have made a mess, and it's your job to steal their laptops.

5. What do you think about words? They can make you happier or more miserable. These are all happy ones.

6. If you're on a table, you're welcome to any of its sweets. Here are candy fruit wedges, bouncing gummi bears, donuts, and glasses.

7. Construction site. Or, after you're done with it: deconstruction site.

8. If the world were made of cotton candy, you'd eat it too.

9. Megalopolis redux. You're stomping around the city, not crushing everything.

10. Pong, pacman, centipede -- they were all video games, right?

11. Your candy world consists of peanut brittle houses with chocolate roofs. The soda can towers are most ghetto.

12. You could take apart an entire mall complex if you wanted to. Suck it in like you're a great vacuum.

I'll post a new video and demo eventually. Just wanted to say, "Hey, everybody!"

Thank you.

Dejobaan Games - Bringing you quality video games for over 75 years.
16 Comments
Re: You Too Can Have Excitement of a Voluptuous Na [Re: Ichiro] #199300
12/14/07 23:23
12/14/07 23:23
Bielefeld, Germany
Pappenheimer Offline
Senior Expert
Pappenheimer  Offline
Senior Expert

Bielefeld, Germany
Quote:

The Wonderful End of the World (EoW) is coming out later this month, or I'm just going to stop writing games for a living.

Question: Are you writing games for a living?

Nevertheless, I wish you much luck with this one!

Re: You Too Can Have Excitement of a Voluptuous Na [Re: Pappenheimer] #199301
12/15/07 00:01
12/15/07 00:01
F
FBL Offline
Senior Expert
FBL  Offline
Senior Expert
F

I simply love the look of your games. Each one looks unique and fun to play. I wish you success with it

Re: You Too Can Have Excitement of a Voluptuous Na [Re: FBL] #199302
12/15/07 00:07
12/15/07 00:07
Australia
DavidLancaster Offline
User
DavidLancaster  Offline
User

Australia
Ichiro...I don't feel so guilty now knowing that I've eaten my cardboard cutout of JCL.

Your wit reminds me of Caitlyns, you're simply the best!

Your work always impresses me, congratulations!

Re: You Too Can Have Excitement of a Voluptuous Na [Re: DavidLancaster] #199303
12/15/07 00:53
12/15/07 00:53
planet.earth
ello Offline
Senior Expert
ello  Offline
Senior Expert

planet.earth
you realy are THE freak!

Quote:

8. If the world were made of cotton candy, you'd eat it too.

i guess so, but i'd have to watch my pounds

www.earthcontrol.de
quoted: We want to maintain a clean, decent, American family suited forum look... which means you may post zombies or chainsaw massacres, but no erotic.
Re: You Too Can Have Excitement of a Voluptuous Na [Re: Ichiro] #199304
12/15/07 00:55
12/15/07 00:55
Germany
Error014 Offline
Expert
Error014  Offline
Expert

Germany
I had a blast with the one demo you released a long, long time ago (probably july or august?), so its great to know that this game is almost finished! Plus, it seems like you've made lots of improvements. Did you change the inertia-thing and the camera? Those two issues were bothering me most.

Here are some thoughts on the screenshots, but feel free to ignore them, because ohmygod you have worked so long on it now and just want to be done with it. Or, maybe, thats not the case. You may still ignore it. I'm generous like that.

What is the "most refreshing" thing? I first thought it shows the last object taken - you know, lke in Katamari. But then, either the world is populated by glasses of water, that thing isn't finished or that assumption was faulty in the first place - a fate that would be definately not be "most refreshing".
So... is one of my three alternatives correct? Or did you manage to cleverly mislead me?

Continuing with the panels, I think the layout of the score and timer-panels is weird. We have "TIMER" and "SCORE" in large letters (with huge "T" and "E" - undoubtly a hidden message) and then, in tiny little numbers, the actual amount of time/score. Thats cool for the first playthrough, but then, I already know where time and score is placed. Then, a quick look should be enough to know how much seconds are left and how much million points I got. So maybe, just switch it around and make the number large and the text smaller, or make the number, say, red and place it upon the text and make it larger or something along those lines. Just that the number is what I see first and not the text.

The style of your game is, at least in my opinion, not so easy to understand when seeing it in stills. Its still there, though.

I think neither of the first three screenshots should be at the beginning - this is because they all don't show the concept that well. I create a huge badass robot out of... things I collected - but in the first three screenshots, it looks like thes eobjects were placed there, and its not easy to see the reason why they're placed there (obviously because they're part of a gigantic robot standing there, but as its not quite complete, you cant make it out). So I'd simply rearrange the order of the shots. Better yet, make one where it is really obvious that there is that robot made out of objects - there is no one that puts that aspect of the game - which from my understanding has at least an important role to the game - really in the spotlight.

The rice cakes - which I'm going to assume are circular and flat in nature - are simple and have that kind of somewhat japanese "aww"-factor thats all the rage these days, you managed to capture that look pretty well - it's just painfully obvious that these are sprites. Maybe you could make them small disks where you round off the edges or something as to minimize that effect while keeping the stylish look?

In the fourth screenshot, the glass appears to be filled with magical juice - its super bright! Or did you alter the screenshots afterwards? How scandalous. And then, there is screenshot # 8, which is even more guilty of that horrible crime.

The one with the words is amazing and weird at the same time - I'm basically collecting words, my own little story, book, autobiography with made up details! Are the words sorted by theme or any other criteria? Does a voice read them out loud? (Probably not, but asking anyway). And are there other objects other than white cubes with text on them? Like, single letters (geometry, not blocks, can easily be made with many modelling applications), or typewriters, or sheets of paper, or pens, or inkpots or dragons?

I really like screenshot # 9. It seems to have a nice size, great contrasts with the heights and size of objects, which fits the theme and has fog and orange color. It adds depth, adding to the height. Can you collect those towers, too?

All in all - it seems that there is great diversity in the levels - fantastic! I loved how in Mario Galaxy, each level was something new, your game seems to have that, too. Many ideas - a lot of them unexpected - mix things up, and given that the story makes no sense whatsoever (yeah, sorry, but then, that wasn't the goal, right?), you really have that freedom to do so, and it totally works. I like the style, even though its so simple, and the clean look it has. I have no idea if the game includes your humor as well (although judging by the story, there is a slight possibility), which is another plus.
I really wish you good luck!

There was that small article about your game in a magazine, right? How did they find you? And how did it affect traffic and downloads? Or are you not allowed to tell this to the general public, by which I mean us?

EDIT: I can't believe I replied to a topic named "You too can have excitement of a voluptous nature". Can't wait to be found on google with that.

Last edited by Error014; 12/15/07 00:58.

Perhaps this post will get me points for originality at least.

Check out Dungeon Deities! It's amazing and will make you happy, successful and almost certainly more attractive! It might be true!
Re: You Too Can Have Excitement of a Voluptuous Na [Re: Error014] #199305
12/15/07 11:06
12/15/07 11:06
germany, dresden
ulf Offline
Serious User
ulf  Offline
Serious User

germany, dresden
oh man you must smoke some heavy stuff, nevertheless great work! cant wait to see a demo! good luck with it.

Re: You Too Can Have Excitement of a Voluptuous Na [Re: ulf] #199306
12/15/07 13:46
12/15/07 13:46
Red Dwarf
Michael_Schwarz Offline
Senior Expert
Michael_Schwarz  Offline
Senior Expert

Red Dwarf
Quote:

oh man you must smoke some heavy stuff[...]

Seconded

But yeah, it looks very interesting - and weird at the same time.
It's Ichiro Style

"Sometimes JCL reminds me of Notch, but more competent" ~ Kiyaku
Re: You Too Can Have Excitement of a Voluptuous Na [Re: Michael_Schwarz] #199307
12/15/07 15:20
12/15/07 15:20
San Francisco
JetpackMonkey Offline
Serious User
JetpackMonkey  Offline
Serious User

San Francisco
It looks BRILLIANT! Maybe this will be the game that gets a wii-ware license and dev kit to Conitec, and bring us our first console port!

Re: You Too Can Have Excitement of a Voluptuous Na [Re: JetpackMonkey] #199308
12/16/07 21:41
12/16/07 21:41
Massachusetts, USA
Ichiro Offline OP
User
Ichiro  Offline OP
User

Massachusetts, USA
You guys rock the house; thanks for the kind words. :)

> Question: Are you writing games for a living?

You bet! Started in 1992 (though I was working for someone else at that point).

Error014> (insert much good feedback here)

Error014, you just have to send me your contact info, so we can send you a free copy of the finished game. :)

Dejobaan Games - Bringing you quality video games for over 75 years.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  jcl, Realspawn, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de