Quote:

1. a standard acknex render looks like this: http://www.churness.com/axys/NoLightMap.jpg so this is "our 3dgs state of technology". wow.

no it's not. it uses no shaders. 3DGS can use shaders without use of plugins, and so it's a lie to say that this is the state of 3DGS technology while withholding eye-candy.

this thread is lancaster showcasing ventilator's plugin. you know what 3DGS is capable of -- you saw the variance shadowmapping "plugin" which isn't even a plugin, but a natively supported module.

i agree, though, that it's not exciting technology, and the awesomeness is exaggerated. no one should be saying that this is is testament to the capabilities of A6. i do think it looks great, but almost entirely due to david lancaster's ability to create and put together some good-looking and atmospheric art which fits together well. i must say i've seen better examples of the usage of ventilator's plugin -- specifically the baking of radiosity or ambient occlusion in indoor environments, which couldn't easily be replaced/faked by projected shadows or a shadowmapping shader.

julz

Formerly known as JulzMighty.
I made KarBOOM!