Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (AndrewAMD, VoroneTZ, dpn), 1,346 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia
19053 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Re-taking Gamestudio developing, need serious advice #365393
03/26/11 10:37
03/26/11 10:37
Brazil - São Paulo
Ericmor Offline OP
Ericmor  Offline OP

Brazil - São Paulo
Hi people.
Iīm trying to develop a fully working game in Gamestudio since forver (everytime i stumpedd with a different problem and had to abandon the developing), and now i purchased the Full pro 8 version and wanted to know about some old undocumented limitations that sometimes only the forum users can answer.
-first question:
In the old engine, either only Lite-C or only .wdl could be used at a time - you couldnīt use both, and some special resources like special shadings were only available in either one or another... this still happens in version 8?

-second question:
Shadow baking in gamestudio only worked with MAP blocks from wed, they didnīt quite go right with models or terrain... i donīt use map blocks anymore, only MDL models to create levels with the new physic engine, but they looked kinda ugly with standard light and i was forced to cut the level in smaller pieces and bake shadows in an external 3d program, and even so the level didnīt look as good as when you bake in unreal engine.
Is there a solution for this problem now?

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Re: Re-taking Gamestudio developing, need serious advice [Re: Ericmor] #365401
03/26/11 11:24
03/26/11 11:24
H
HeelX Offline
Senior Expert
HeelX  Offline
Senior Expert
H

Hi Ericmor,
Quote:
In the old engine, either only Lite-C or only .wdl could be used at a time - you couldnīt use both, and some special resources like special shadings were only available in either one or another... this still happens in version 8?

What "special shadings" are you referring to? The shader pipeline has improved over the years and Lite-C is the language of choice for everything shader-related. I am 100% sure that everything you want to do with shaders is possible with Lite-C. C-Script is dead.

Quote:
Shadow baking in gamestudio only worked with MAP blocks from wed, they didnīt quite go right with models or terrain... i donīt use map blocks anymore, only MDL models to create levels with the new physic engine, but they looked kinda ugly with standard light and i was forced to cut the level in smaller pieces and bake shadows in an external 3d program, and even so the level didnīt look as good as when you bake in unreal engine.

WED supports the classic blocks and also static meshes from models. As far as I know, the lightmapper for models is a lot more stable now and creates decent lightmaps. Nevertheless, you can also import models with 2nd UV set and a seperate lightmap to use it in Gamestudio, so, it is up to you and your used 3D apps how well the lightmap looks like. I don't know anything about the Unreal Engine and its lightmapper.

Nevertheless, if you have highly dynamic scenes, you could also consider to use a softshadowmapping technique to create light and shadows dynamically.

If you would post more details about your project, you will get answers with higher information, I suppose smile though, good luck with your project and it is always nice to see people coming back wink

best regards!

Re: Re-taking Gamestudio developing, need serious advice [Re: HeelX] #365402
03/26/11 11:43
03/26/11 11:43
Austria
Dark_samurai Offline
Serious User
Dark_samurai  Offline
Serious User

Austria
Quote:
As far as I know, the lightmapper for models is a lot more stable now and creates decent lightmaps.

The lightmapper works with models? I once tried the lightmapper for terrains but I wasn't able to get it working...

ANet - A stable and secure network plugin with multi-zone, unlimited players, voip, server-list features,... (for A7/A8)!
get free version
Re: Re-taking Gamestudio developing, need serious advice [Re: Dark_samurai] #365404
03/26/11 11:59
03/26/11 11:59
Spain
painkiller Offline
Serious User
painkiller  Offline
Serious User

Spain
Yes, you have to import the models in WED from MDL and they will become static meshes with lightmaps when you build.

Last edited by painkiller; 03/26/11 11:59.

3D Gamestudio A8 Pro
AMD FX 8350 4.00 Ghz
16GB RAM
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 4GB
Re: Re-taking Gamestudio developing, need serious advice [Re: painkiller] #365405
03/26/11 12:12
03/26/11 12:12
Austria
Dark_samurai Offline
Serious User
Dark_samurai  Offline
Serious User

Austria
Wow that's really great! Didn't knew that...

ANet - A stable and secure network plugin with multi-zone, unlimited players, voip, server-list features,... (for A7/A8)!
get free version
Re: Re-taking Gamestudio developing, need serious advice [Re: Dark_samurai] #365414
03/26/11 14:52
03/26/11 14:52
Brazil - São Paulo
Ericmor Offline OP
Ericmor  Offline OP

Brazil - São Paulo
Thanks for the answers, folks! Much appreciated.
Originally Posted By: Dark_samurai
Wow that's really great! Didn't knew that...

This is something that apparently didnīt change: the lack of decent organized documentation.
I know thereīs a lot of resources, and different versions, but games are becoming more complex and detailed and to go after the current generation level of quality thereīs always new implementations being made in 3dgamestudio, but theyīre always BARE documented!
For starters, when i first started scripting to gamestudio, i learned the wdl lenguage and had to throw away the basic script functions and made my own (thousands of code lines, hundreds of scripts), however i never learned Lite-C because i already had a large amount od work done, and suddenly the guys change the WHOLE lenguage!
If the cursed syntax changes werenīt enough!
Well, seems iīm doomed to make the whole Lite-C tutorial and dominate a whole new lenguage to make games in gamestudio again.
Anyway, thanks once again for the help, folks.

Re: Re-taking Gamestudio developing, need serious advice [Re: Ericmor] #365415
03/26/11 15:04
03/26/11 15:04
GUILIN , CHINA
tzw Offline
tzw  Offline

GUILIN , CHINA
lite c is more powerful and very easy to learn since you've known a lot of c-script. there are no too many difficulties on converting old wdl files to .c times always changes,we also hardly know which script language we'll use after a year. so ,just take it easily in my opinion

Re: Re-taking Gamestudio developing, need serious advice [Re: tzw] #365416
03/26/11 15:05
03/26/11 15:05
T
the_clown Offline
User
the_clown  Offline
User
T

Originally Posted By: tzw
lite c is more powerful and very easy to learn since you've known a lot of c-script. there are no too many difficulties on converting old wdl files to .c in my opinion

Exactly. If you know c-script (appearently you do very well), its pretty easy to learn lite-c.

Re: Re-taking Gamestudio developing, need serious advice [Re: the_clown] #365421
03/26/11 16:26
03/26/11 16:26
Austria
Dark_samurai Offline
Serious User
Dark_samurai  Offline
Serious User

Austria
Changing from c-script to lite-c was the best desicion Conitec made since I'm using Gamestudio! C-Script was really worse!

get free version
Re: Re-taking Gamestudio developing, need serious advice [Re: Dark_samurai] #365433
03/26/11 18:10
03/26/11 18:10
Brazil - São Paulo
Ericmor Offline OP
Ericmor  Offline OP

Brazil - São Paulo
Originally Posted By: Dark_samurai
Changing from c-script to lite-c was the best desicion Conitec made since I'm using Gamestudio! C-Script was really worse!

Well people, i hope thatīs true, because iīm going to do ALL tutorials and study all related resources available from all gamestudio and C-lite related sites.
This time, is do or die.
And i mean it: this project is nothing more than a basic assembling solution for RPG-adventure games - iīve coded inventory systems, door and containers systems, dialogue and event systems... but YEARS passs by everytime itīs near completion, and when money runs dry and family or friends starts pressuring in, i have to take a full-time consuming unrelated job and see all the hard work go down to the drain (mainly, all art pipeline get outdated and all scripts stop working because of syntax or engine changes).
And then, i try changing the engine - tried torque, tried Unity, i even assembled a large art-filled rpg with rpg maker (donīt laugh, thereīs 2 years of artwork job in this thing, and loads of ruby scripts to change resolution, battle engine and whatnots), tried unreal... enough.
I can do this.
Gamestudio can pull this off.
It will happen.
I want to believe.
Seriously guys, iīm going to the bitter end - wish me luck, and thanks for the answers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de