Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Akow), 1,361 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AemStones, LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv
19055 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Is/Will 3DGS for me? #229023
09/24/08 00:25
09/24/08 00:25
Portugal
SikTh Offline OP
SikTh  Offline OP

Portugal
Hi,
(sorry if i'm posting at the wrong section)
I've been interested in game making for a while now and I've made my share of small games on various engines, all of them were 2D and didn't need any programming capabilities.

A month or so ago I downloaded 3DGS Trial version because I was interested in moving on from 2D to 3D (long story short, my ideas were too big for something in 2D), but, I'll be honest it confused me to the core. I tried reading some online manuals but still didn't feel I could do it, so I gave up on it 2 weeks later.

The next 3 years I'll be studying Multimedia Engineering on an Institute, I will learn C++ (and minor details about other programming languages), 2D and 3D Modeling / Designing / Animation, video & sound, etc...

You think after all this when I try out 3DGS again I will be able to understand it better? I realise it uses Lite-C and people say that who is familiar with C, C+ or C++ will have no problems with it, I'd like to know what other users think and what were their capacities when they tried 3DGS for the first time, I want to finish this course and finally be able to work around with it so I can finally purchase the product knowing I will be able to use it for what I want.

Basicaly, I'm asking you - other 3DGS users - to help me WANT to try this again knowing I won't be left speechless in confusion like the last time I tried it.

Thanks!

THANATOS GAMES
Re: Is/Will 3DGS for me? [Re: SikTh] #229025
09/24/08 01:13
09/24/08 01:13
analysis paralysis
NITRO777 Offline
Expert
NITRO777  Offline
Expert

analysis paralysis
If you are asking whether you will understand 3dgs after your c++ courses I would say definitely yes.

Im not sure if I understand the question though crazy

Re: Is/Will 3DGS for me? [Re: NITRO777] #229032
09/24/08 03:10
09/24/08 03:10
Portugal
SikTh Offline OP
SikTh  Offline OP

Portugal
Yes, that was one of the questions TriNitroToluene, thanks for clearing that up!

I also asked by curiosity what was the experience other users had when they first picked up 3DGS, but you answered my main question and problem so thanks for that!

First thing I do after the course is get 3DGS trial again and see what I can do with it.

Cheers!
(also sorry if i wasn't too clear, english is not my main language :))

THANATOS GAMES
Re: Is/Will 3DGS for me? [Re: NITRO777] #229033
09/24/08 03:13
09/24/08 03:13
Singapore
delinkx Offline
User
delinkx  Offline
User

Singapore
Ur course is a mix of artist and technical part. So thats the perfect thing 2 understand game making.

the artist part will help u understand game assets. and the programming (whatever language) will help u understand programming concepts and methodologies.

Then learning any other language is very simple. Lite c is very easy 2 learn and understand and even easier if u knw c or c++

A7 commercial Team / VC++ 2008 Pro
homepage | twitter | facebook
Re: Is/Will 3DGS for me? [Re: delinkx] #229036
09/24/08 03:46
09/24/08 03:46
mpdeveloper_B Offline
Expert
mpdeveloper_B  Offline
Expert

Well, 3DGS is a good engine to start with, but I wouldn't recommend a big 3D commercial game, with 3DGS you might want to stick with casual games. Seeing as you are going through a c++ course I'd recommend getting TGEA rather than 3DGS, it uses cpp and is more capable of pulling off a good commercial product. But like I said, if you want to play casually, use 3DGS, it's perfect for it.

- aka Manslayer101
Re: Is/Will 3DGS for me? [Re: mpdeveloper_B] #229059
09/24/08 09:49
09/24/08 09:49
Lübeck
Slin Offline
Expert
Slin  Offline
Expert

Lübeck
I started with GameStudio as a 14 years old boy not knowing anything about creating computergames...

At the moment I would even state that A7 is able to handle quite big games if the user knows what he does and you don´t want to create a multiplayer game without an external library.

Re: Is/Will 3DGS for me? [Re: delinkx] #229161
09/24/08 22:13
09/24/08 22:13
Portugal
SikTh Offline OP
SikTh  Offline OP

Portugal
Originally Posted By: delinkx
Ur course is a mix of artist and technical part. So thats the perfect thing 2 understand game making.

the artist part will help u understand game assets. and the programming (whatever language) will help u understand programming concepts and methodologies.

Then learning any other language is very simple. Lite c is very easy 2 learn and understand and even easier if u knw c or c++

Cool, that's what I wanted to hear! Thanks! I'm learning C and will learn the differences between C and C++ by the end of the year. Actually talked to my programming teacher today and he said he knew 3DGS and played with it a bit but since he's not too much interested in games kind of forgot all about it, but said I'd be able to mess with it after the course with no problems, great!

Originally Posted By: mpdeveloper_B
Well, 3DGS is a good engine to start with, but I wouldn't recommend a big 3D commercial game, with 3DGS you might want to stick with casual games. Seeing as you are going through a c++ course I'd recommend getting TGEA rather than 3DGS, it uses cpp and is more capable of pulling off a good commercial product. But like I said, if you want to play casually, use 3DGS, it's perfect for it.

Will check out TGEA, thanks for the tip!

THANATOS GAMES
Re: Is/Will 3DGS for me? [Re: SikTh] #229245
09/25/08 19:39
09/25/08 19:39
falagar8 Offline
falagar8  Offline

hey and hello SikTH,

my friend cat, the cemetary cat
got really confused and meowed mix upped with 3D GameStudio at first.
Then, tried other 3d game engines/authoring tools and especially Torque. After a few weeks he is back to 3D GameStudio.
Don't bother with Torque. While the interface IDE is nice, the scripting and coding is a nightmare. And he missed out on the Lite C scripting.
So, he is back with 3D GameStudio and even encouraged me to try it out. And warned me to stay away from Torque.
He is also beginning to like Java and Java game programming too.

cheers smile

Last edited by falagar8; 09/25/08 19:40.
Re: Is/Will 3DGS for me? [Re: falagar8] #229272
09/26/08 00:57
09/26/08 00:57
Portugal
SikTh Offline OP
SikTh  Offline OP

Portugal
Originally Posted By: falagar8
hey and hello SikTH,

my friend cat, the cemetary cat
got really confused and meowed mix upped with 3D GameStudio at first.
Then, tried other 3d game engines/authoring tools and especially Torque. After a few weeks he is back to 3D GameStudio.
Don't bother with Torque. While the interface IDE is nice, the scripting and coding is a nightmare. And he missed out on the Lite C scripting.
So, he is back with 3D GameStudio and even encouraged me to try it out. And warned me to stay away from Torque.
He is also beginning to like Java and Java game programming too.

cheers smile

Thanks for that, although trying out both after the course couldn't hurt, I see both have trial versions.

Thanks for the warn though! smile

THANATOS GAMES

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de